Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

It was mistake playing that team tonight for 2 reasons. 

Firstly we needed to create a winning culture, build upon the first game of the season, start a long run of winning games.  

Secondly how are we going to sell these players - Djneppo, Mara, etc - if we put them in the shop window and everyone sees how bad they are.

• Like 4

Game over, let's sing yeah bruv innit

UP THE SAINTS UNTIL I DIE BLAAH

Long long time ago,
How I still remember,
How that Southampton team would make me smile,
I knew if we have a chance,
We'd get to see Papa Waigo dance,
That made us happy, for a while,
Matt Le Tiss would make players quiver,
Rickie Lambert would always deliver,
The Dell was always on our doorstep,
Now St Mary's, what a side step.

And I remember how I cried,
The day I heard Markus Liebherr died,
It touched us all, deep inside,
A Saint until he died.

So bye bye, we got it over the line, Ings got the ball from Ward-Prowse after it went up high,
The good ole fans sang when it went over the line,
Singing we are Southampton til we die,
We are Southampton til we diiiiieeeee

Do yooou remember how we sang,
When we destroyed Pompey 4 0 at their lane....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, BotleySaint said:

Typical under estimating of opposition. Lesson to learn for RM. 

This team should be good enough to beat a League 2 side. Some of these salary stealers need to take a look at themselves. 

• Like 1

Hopefully this will show that we need reinforcements in certain positions. Namely CB, CM and striker. And keeper. And if we sell more of them then probably AM/Winger. And probably another RB.

So yeah, LB looking good though.

• Like 1

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Are you serious? No real surprise to be losing to Gillingham?

Should be able to put out a third team and win comfortably

Really? This line up is absolute dog shit. If Martin wanted to give Gillingham the win he couldn't have done a much better job if he just pulled names out of a hat. 

• Like 2

Just now, SNSUN said:

Hopefully this will show that we need reinforcements in certain positions. Namely CB, CM and striker. And keeper. And if we sell more of them then probably AM/Winger. And probably another RB.

So yeah, LB looking good though.

It shows that the players we have in the squad are horrific, but the problem we have is until they go (Moussa, Lyanco etc), then we simply cannot add anymore. We're in a tricky position with the amount of crap we've managed to assemble over the years.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

It was mistake playing that team tonight for 2 reasons. 

Firstly we needed to create a winning culture, build upon the first game of the season, start a long run of winning games.  

Secondly how are we going to sell these players - Djneppo, Mara, etc - if we put them in the shop window and everyone sees how bad they are.

Absolutely - normally you’d play 2nd string players against a team two divisions below, but here is a massive need to gel the first team and get the winning feeling back.  This is going to be a terrible, terrible result for everyone…players and supporters.

• Like 1

If Martin cared he wouldn't have played that team.  No-one wants to lose a game but at least now:

1. It makes managing a large squad much easier as fringe players failed to turn up in this game

2. Focusing on the league is our priority for obvious reasons

3. The kids can't moan about not being given a chance

4. He is starting to learn who he can trust and who he can't on the pitch, regardless of how they are in the dressing room

5. Defeats like this always sharpen up recruitment when they happen in a transfer window

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It shows that the players we have in the squad are horrific, but the problem we have is until they go (Moussa, Lyanco etc), then we simply cannot add anymore. We're in a tricky position with the amount of crap we've managed to assemble over the years.

Not saying players are good but he could have helped and played an actual CB alongside Lyanco.

• Like 1

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Really? This line up is absolute dog shit. If Martin wanted to give Gillingham the win he couldn't have done a much better job if he just pulled names out of a hat. 

Yeah really. The line up has 7 players who have premiership experience vs a League 2 / 4th division side. So yeah, I expect better than  "no wonder we lost"

• Like 5

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Yeah really. The line up has 7 players who have premiership experience vs a League 2 / 4th division side. So yeah, I expect better than  "no wonder we lost"

Ali Dia has Premiership experience.

We litterally look like coneeding every set play. Its fucking shambloic defending. Absoultely fucking ridiculous. 

I'm not too arsed about going out - In fact i'm glad we are as we dont need to attitional games / distraction, but this performance is arrogant as fuck, including from Martin. 

We're fucking shite and have not earned the credit to be arrogant. 

• Like 3

Just now, Lallana's Left Peg said:

If Martin cared he wouldn't have played that team.  No-one wants to lose a game but at least now:

1. It makes managing a large squad much easier as fringe players failed to turn up in this game

2. Focusing on the league is our priority for obvious reasons

3. The kids can't moan about not being given a chance

4. He is starting to learn who he can trust and who he can't on the pitch, regardless of how they are in the dressing room

5. Defeats like this always sharpen up recruitment when they happen in a transfer window

3 youngsters started.  the others are seasoned pros and are showing, yet again, they are just not good enough.  How McCarthy ever gets a game is beyond me.  Embarrassing and the honeymoon period did not last long!

• Like 1

Just now, obelisk said:

RM's going to quickly lose any support at this rate. A comfortable win on Saturday would overcome the mess tonight but anything less and the mood will soon turn.

I think that says more about our utter joke of a fanbase than it does about him tbf.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, bangkoksaint said:

Lose Saturday and RM has heaped a load of pressure on himself and any quality we have will be running for the hills.

He’s in a lose-lose situation. I would think most from last season don’t want to be here. The sooner we are rid, the better. And that includes JWP.

• Haha 1

Personally I’m not that disappointed:

1. we knew that team put out was rubbish as we saw it last couple of seasons. Now RM knows it too so let’s judge him on what he does next (if he doesn’t shake that squad up then I’ll be the first to judge).

2. I don’t care about that cup, much prefer a good league campaign.  

The next couple of league games and the transfer window will be much more meaningful than our 2nd string away in this fixture. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Did someone say feel good factor……

There was no need to put out such an awful side, reminds me of when Harry sent a team of kids out to get slaughtered last time we got relegated.  Getting embarrassed by a league two side benefits nobody.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

to be fair, looking at the line up, I think he might have..

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Don't understand the thinking here. It's not like we have a fixture pile up. Why not put most of the first team out there to win this and have am look at a few fringe players. Get a winning feeling and a freebie practice match.

Because we have 45 more league games this season.  A cup run is really not needed this season.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Whoever the fuck gave Moussa a new contract last season when it was due to expire last summer shouldn’t be allowed in any workplace, football or otherwise. Lyanco was always a stupid signing, the Torino reviews were enough evidence. 6m Euros or whatever it was, 6m too much. As for Mara, 13m Euros - some serious alcohol consumption in that bit of ‘scouting’. 

Basically since Ronald left there has been no football expertise at SMS bar some flickers from Ralph. I think Wilcox has some but he’s been left the vomit of several amateur eras to clear up. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic