Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

Well done Gillingham…you did your homework and executed the game plan perfectly to get a deserved win.

I’m taking my young Grandson to the Norwich game for his first Saints match. I hope Martin and the players come up with the goods to produce a win or at the very least a draw, otherwise I fear his interest will be short-lived.

• Like 3

It was pretty obvious in pre season that any team who aggressively close us down would probably wreck our only tactic and beat us convincingly.

Yes it was a scratch 11 but it is obvious how to play against us.. 

Close us down and go for set pieces and crosses. 
Perhaps we should concentrate training on defence before we prioritise anything else……..

It is not all McCarthy it is our totally inept defending that is awful … 

• Like 3

Not going to panic, in a lot of ways I’m glad Martin has managed to see for himself just how poor some of the squad are, and hopefully we see some transfer activity as a result. 

Let’s be thankful it happened in a nothing game rather than an important league match.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Christ, this was his second game and he's played out of position in what were effectively two different teams, both away from home. 

2 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

He does look shit though doesn't he

He looked even shitter before he got put on the cross.

Edited by Master Bates

2 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

He's another £10m wasted. I bet we've got academy prospects at the same level.

Ridiculous.

Firstly, you obviously have no idea what we currently have in the academy if you think we have a DM capable of playing anything near Championship football. The only lad we have with that possibility of that in his future just turned 15.

Secondly, you're judging him based on a preseason having to play out of position and tonight, his first game at DM, surrounded by a poor supporting cast and then yet again having to fill-in at CB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

If someone put a bunch of nuns on the matchday feed everyone is happy but I get pulled up for mentioning that p*mpey were losing a football match on a football forum. 

Don’t worry fella, any Saints fan who doesn’t enjoy Pompey losing is an odd one. 

• Like 5

The most obvious problem is we cannot defend from set pieces. This has to be addressed. Hopefully the new set piece coach can rectify this and quickly. A poor performance and result tonight. Only positives were Alcaraz scoring and Sam Amo-Ameyaw looked lively 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Juice said:

May I highlight how utterly doss this group of players are. Also, and this may be controversial seeing as he has been played out of position, By Charles has, as yet, only concerned me. I said he looked poor after Bournemouth and this sounds as if it was a similar showing.. as I said, however, context needed here.  

Charles was shocking against Bournemouth but it doesn’t help playing one of our many diddy men at CB. 

The main positive from this for me is that it double underlines in bold that we need to buy at least one half decent central defender so that we have four first team Championship quality CBs - potentially with Stephens and Bednarek as deputy for ABK and the new CB. If ABK leaves then hopefully we will get in to decent CBs with Bednarek and Stephens as cover.

10 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Ah well, we had an incredible journey in this season's League Cup.

We'll never forget the highs and the lows. Incredible journey, I've had a great night, Up the Saints.

out of the League Cup in early August. Ain't that something!

9 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

He's another £10m wasted. I bet we've got academy prospects at the same level.

Man City must piss themselves laughing knowing they can flog all their crap academy players to us for millions and we’ll bite their hand off. 

• Like 5

Just now, Dragon_man said:

Love a good cup run.

Yes, there’s nothing like a good cup run and this was nothing like one.

My head’s saying this competition really wasn’t important this season but my heart is royally pissed right now.

We clearly still have certain individuals completely stinking the place out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Better off out of it, made sense to give it a go when we were in the Prem but we have no chance if winning it so just use it to give the reserves a run out.

Getting into a winning habit is worth staying in the cup though.

Apart from that don’t necessarily disagree with you, but the nature of the defeat is humiliating for the club. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Man City must piss themselves laughing knowing they can flog all their crap academy players to us for millions and we’ll bite their hand off. 

Maybe I’m being a bit cynical but I saw nothing in all those highlights that suggested we signed anything other than a player who could do what a 500k championship clogger could have done. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Ridiculous.

Firstly, you obviously have no idea what we currently have in the academy if you think we have a DM capable of playing anything near Championship football. The only lad we have with that possibility of that in his future just turned 15.

Secondly, you're judging him based on a preseason having to play out of position and tonight, his first game at DM, surrounded by a poor supporting cast and then yet again having to fill-in at CB.

Yep might seem harsh off the bat and yes, I’ve saw him play out of position but I expect to see something for £10m.

Then again, perhaps my bar is too high as we have made it our club speciality in recent seasons buying footballers for extortionate amounts of money who can’t play football. Hello Paul O, Lyanco etc👋🏼

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

If someone put a bunch of nuns on the matchday feed everyone is happy but I get pulled up for mentioning that p*mpey were losing a football match on a football forum. 

I can do nuns with boobs, in nun bikinis, let me know I'll hook you up in The Muppet Show.

Didn't age well though btw, the post, Pompey won. Nuns don't age well either, so, yeah. 

Ah well, we knocked Man City out of the cup last season and it meant nothing overall, other than adding another achievement for Nathan Jones to bring up in every post-match interview.

46 game league season is tough enough without the league cup. Would've been nice for some of the squad players to surprise us, but again, we know from the horror of last season that they are mostly shit. Can we not go old school and put McCarthy, Lyanco, Bree, Perraud and Onuachu with the Under-23s. PSG are doing it with a load of theirs at the moment, including Mbappe. Would hopefully force a few of their hands, or they'll be happy to see out their contract. Even better, send them to Goztepe, or Valenciennes. Hopefully with the sales of Livramento and Salisu and expected sale of Lavia, we can afford to pay a part of their departure as no one's going to pick them up on the wage they have here.

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Post number one million on this I know, but I do find it odd how even when relegated we manage to give city a £15 million pound almost thank you for Lavia deal to an unknown player. 

26 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Still laugh when people insist that Lyanco should stick around because hes committed and wears his heart on his sleeve.

What a horrible footballer. Callum Davenport and Vegard Forren would look good beside this clown

Funnily enough, For ten was involved in a Champions League qualifier tonight.

Can’t say I’m surprised by the result… this is mostly the same group of shit that struggled past Wednesday, Lincoln, Blackpool and lost to Grimsby in the cups last season. Further evidence (as if it was needed!) that our “second XI” is just as awful even with some new kids thrown into the deep end. 

McCarthy, Lyanco, Bree, Djenepo and Aribo can all fuck off. 

Squad “depth” abysmal all across the park. 

5 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

No mention of shouldering some of the blame himself? Maybe he said it and Adam didn't report it in this snippet. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he certainly bears some responsibility.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

Can’t say I’m surprised by the result… this is mostly the same group of shit that struggled past Wednesday, Lincoln, Blackpool and lost to Grimsby in the cups last season. Further evidence (as if it was needed!) that our “second XI” is just as awful even with some new kids thrown into the deep end. 

McCarthy, Lyanco, Bree, Djenepo and Aribo can all fuck off. 

Squad “depth” abysmal all across the park. 

Add Mara to that list too.