Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

4 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

But he is  responsible at least in part for our defensive mess? Are you denying that's the case?

Yes I am. Our mess is beyond the capabilities of any one player standing thirty yards behind them. What’s he supposed to do? Run around pulling them into shape?

You can blame him for many things but an incohesive team is not one of them. Nor should it be.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Yeah yeah, pick me up on a mistype rather than contribute to a discussion. Prick. 

I’m genuinely intrigued who this keeper is that you’re criticising for being vocal. The nearest to Martinelli I can see is Martínez, but surely you can’t mean him. The bloke who made a world class save in the dying seconds of a World Cup final, who saved 2 penalties in the quarter final, one in the final and won the golden gloves? You’re criticising him for not finishing in the top 6, as if that somehow means Baz’s silence is a good thing. It can’t be him, because that would make you a bit of a prick, so who did you mean by Martinelli?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I feel sorry for Baz. Young guy without the physical capacity to improve beyond where he is. Must be very frustrating for him and some what embarrassing that the Manager doesn’t take him out of the firing line. 😉

Yeah my issue isn't with him at all. i don't doubt he works hard and wants to improve. He's just been put in a position most keepers are not put in (for a reason). 

I'm annoyed that we just so regularly screw up the keeper position. Honestly not since Niemi have I felt total reliance in our goalkeepers. There have been moments of exception. Davis was great in league 1, and okay in the Championship (that amazing leeds performance glosses over that season slightly). Boruc I loved and great but boy oh boy was he unhinged. Forster generally relied on the ball hitting his enormous frame rather than making saves himself. Otherwise we've generally had some of the poorer keepers every season, unless there is a name I've forgotten

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’m genuinely intrigued who this keeper is that you’re criticising for being vocal. The nearest to Martinelli I can see is Martínez, but surely you can’t mean him. The bloke who made a world class save in the dying seconds of a World Cup final, who saved 2 penalties in the quarter final, one in the final and won the golden gloves? You’re criticising him for not finishing in the top 6, as if that somehow means Baz’s silence is a good thing. It can’t be him, because that would make you a bit of a prick, so who did you mean by Martinelli?

Oh please, save me from your "genuinely intrigued" bullshit.

If you're unable to see that Martinez isn't a top 6 keeper, is shouty and aggressive, is a nobhead then it would seem you're incapable of following a discussion.

The original point that I was responding to was that all top keepers were shouty and aggressive, that's obviously not the case.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If Baz was in nets for Everton, they’d have been relegated, and despite Messi I doubt The Argies would have won the World Cup with Baz & his putty hands. I’d rather have a decent knob head in nets than suffer anymore Baz ball. 

Martinez is one of the 6 best keepers in the league anyway. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

If you're unable to see that Martinez isn't a top 6 keeper, is shouty and aggressive, is a nobhead then it would seem you're incapable of following a discussion.

The original point that I was responding to was that all top keepers were shouty and aggressive, that's obviously not the case.

Lol Martinez has literally just been nominated for the Ballon d'Or. I might be going against the grain here, but I would probably take him over even Baz

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 06/09/2023 at 10:18, Block41 Saint said:

He got very lucky on Saturday when he parried a weak free kick straight to a Sunderland player, the Sunderland player missed the ball on the follow up. This has been a common trait during his time here, he rarely pushes the ball away from danger when he makes a save. Got away with one vs Norwich too for their debatable offside goal in the second half. 

I was blowing my top over this at the time. He got away with it, but it was totally unnecessary. This is stuff you learn when you're 8 years old... It's not something you should ever see a professional do, at any level.

Whilst most of our goals this season haven't been able to be pointed at Baz for, he hasn't kept many out. You expect a GK to pull off some saves they just shouldn't, but Baz just doesn't seem to.

He does at least appear to have learnt not to stand on his post when a ball is squared into the box, which is a vast improvement on last year. Now he just needs to learn to actually save them, but he is gibing himself a chance at least.

25 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If Baz was in nets for Everton, they’d have been relegated, and despite Messi I doubt The Argies would have won the World Cup with Baz & his putty hands. I’d rather have a decent knob head in nets than suffer anymore Baz ball. 

Remind me how the other world cup final keeper is getting on.  It really isn't an argument against all the best keepers are shouty and aggressive.

14 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I was blowing my top over this at the time. He got away with it, but it was totally unnecessary. This is stuff you learn when you're 8 years old... It's not something you should ever see a professional do, at any level.

Whilst most of our goals this season haven't been able to be pointed at Baz for, he hasn't kept many out. You expect a GK to pull off some saves they just shouldn't, but Baz just doesn't seem to.

He does at least appear to have learnt not to stand on his post when a ball is squared into the box, which is a vast improvement on last year. Now he just needs to learn to actually save them, but he is gibing himself a chance at least.

Didn't seem to have learned much from what I saw of the headed goal by Sergeant for Norwich. Stranded at his front post as the ball sailed over his head to the back post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Best comparison yet. Pickford for Baz, Everton lose about 10-12 points straight off the bat.

• Like 3

There is this mythical assumption that Bazunu has some sort of huge ceiling and if we stick with him, he’ll reach it.

Even if he does, we do not have the time to wait around for someone to make mistakes which could cost us promotion.

And if he doesn’t, which I believe to be the case, then we’re onto a sure fire loser anyway.

it’s all moot though sadly as RM is as resolute and pugnacious of Baz as he is about his style of play. We’re lumbered, whether we like it or not.

• Like 7

You don’t become a good goalie by only letting in goals that arnt your fault.

you become a good goalie by saving the ones you shouldn’t have . 

Bazunu makes mistakes , he lets in goals that are not directly his fault . 
He doesn’t save any shots he shouldn’t have . 

He contributed to our relegation and he’ll contribute to us finishing mid table . 

• Like 16

5 hours ago, notnowcato said:

This an absolute shambles of a post 😂

Martinez is easily one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

He instantly improved villa’s backline when he went there by being aggressive and commanding so you’re literally undermining your own point 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, IFHP said:

You don’t become a good goalie by only letting in goals that arnt your fault.

you become a good goalie by saving the ones you shouldn’t have . 

Bazunu makes mistakes , he lets in goals that are not directly his fault . 
He doesn’t save any shots he shouldn’t have . 

He contributed to our relegation and he’ll contribute to us finishing mid table . 

Well, he’s cost us zero points so far this season. If we finish mid table then a lot more than just Baz will have gone wrong.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The Republic, and indeed Gavin Bazunu, breathe a huge sigh off relief as Kylian Mbappe's effort is ruled out for offside. 

Aurelien Tchouameni clips the ball forward to Marcus Thuram, who was in an offside position. 

He lays it off to Mbappe and his low strike squirms through Bazunu and into the net, but it won't count.

…so out of character for Gavin here. Obviously not to blame in any way

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

The Republic, and indeed Gavin Bazunu, breathe a huge sigh off relief as Kylian Mbappe's effort is ruled out for offside. 

Aurelien Tchouameni clips the ball forward to Marcus Thuram, who was in an offside position. 

He lays it off to Mbappe and his low strike squirms through Bazunu and into the net, but it won't count.

…so out of character for Gavin here. Obviously not to blame in any way

There you go, the first goal is a prime example of what we’re discussing. Taken in isolation, it’s not a glaring error. BUT, when the original cross comes in , there is nobody around the centre half who is just outside the 6 yard box. He makes a shite headed clearance, which leads to a long range shot.

I’d expect a decent keeper to do one of 3 things there. Ideally come and claim the cross, aggressively & early. Secondly he tells the centre half to leave it and it drifts out of play, or towards the full back who was also unopposed. Or thirdly he shouts early and aggressively so the centre half heads it out for a corner. No, yet again Baz’s organisation, aggression, and positioning skills are non existent. A decent keeper reads that, there’s nobody fucking near where the cross is headed away. It’s keepers ball if he’s proactive and reading the game, he claims it.  Still at least he’s not a knob head. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, notnowcato said:

You haven't got a fucking clue what you're on about do you

• Like 1

18 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Remind me how the other world cup final keeper is getting on.  It really isn't an argument against all the best keepers are shouty and aggressive.

so, at least 6 keepers in the league are better than Martinez? If that is what you meant, who are they?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

There is this mythical assumption that Bazunu has some sort of huge ceiling and if we stick with him, he’ll reach it.

Even if he does, we do not have the time to wait around for someone to make mistakes which could cost us promotion.

And if he doesn’t, which I believe to be the case, then we’re onto a sure fire loser anyway.

it’s all moot though sadly as RM is as resolute and pugnacious of Baz as he is about his style of play. We’re lumbered, whether we like it or not.

If there is a mythical huge ceiling I doubt that he could reach it, both metaphorically and physically. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Don't want to pile in for no reason but it is worth mentioning that Bazunu just gave away a really poor penalty and it looks like the Ireland fans all over Twitter have turned against him.

A really poor international break is the last thing we needed for confidence.

They just need a possession game, where passing out is more important than anything else. 🙂

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Don't want to pile in for no reason but it is worth mentioning that Bazunu just gave away a really poor penalty and it looks like the Ireland fans all over Twitter have turned against him.

A really poor international break is the last thing we needed for confidence.

Got a vid? BBC write up suggests a defensive error leaving him 1v1 with the striker.

image.png.a9151571dbbf5115076e4471e1ab741c.png

34 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not entirely sure why he's being hung out on that, he was 1 on 1 and fouled the player as 9 keepers out of 10 would have done.

No mention of the save he made against Donyel Malen I notice.

I wasn't watching the game to be fair. Just saw a clip from an Irish fan on Twitter of the penalty mistake.

Hopefully he's doing better than I thought.

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not entirely sure why he's being hung out on that, he was 1 on 1 and fouled the player as 9 keepers out of 10 would have done.

Well, I played in goal today in the lower reaches of the grassroots game and had a few 1 on 1s. You should have come out, you should have stayed back... thanks for the advice grlls!

My coach said I played well but I've asked for  more practice in that area, but when all is said and done I'd rather be playing up front! Make a mistake there and it's not commented on so much...

And not on topic at all, there are now 6 divisions in the Hampshire Women's Leagues which pleases me no end..

...... seems that those impatient types who blame Gavin Bazunu for every goal we concede will be (figuratively)  sharpening their pencils  

in preparation for a wave of criticism when the next goal rush comes against GB after the report that Jan Bednarek was injured in the first

half of his game for Poland... now in the event of  a longer term absence we are  .to say the least ....a bit thin on the ground for alternative CB's.

With Salisu, ABK, Lyanco and Caleta-Car already gone, and the promising Ryan Finnegan out on loan at Shrewsbury, we are left with the newly-loaned

Mason Holgate , and the untried Harwood-Bellis as possible CB's ..and /or ...Shea Charles as a versatile alternative.  

Back to ..Bazunu who became the whipping boy after the Sunderland defeat, and that doesn't bode well for the Leicester game. 

I make no apology for repeating myself -- yet again . A goalie is only as good as the defence in front of him..

Our strike force will pick itself,  but we need to pack the bench with every fit defender who is available for Friday night..  

Sadly, goalkeepers are blamed every time, but the striker who misses 3 or 4 sitters has only had .. a bit of  " bad luck " .    Put blame where it belongs. 

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

...... seems that those impatient types who blame Gavin Bazunu for every goal we concede will be (figuratively)  sharpening their pencils  

half of his game for Poland... now in the event of  a longer term absence we are  .to say the least ....a bit thin on the ground for alternative CB's.

With Salisu, ABK, Lyanco and Caleta-Car already gone, and the promising Ryan Finnegan out on loan at Shrewsbury, we are left with the newly-loaned

Mason Holgate , and the untried Harwood-Bellis as possible CB's ..and /or ...Shea Charles as a versatile alternative.  

Back to ..Bazunu who became the whipping boy after the Sunderland defeat, and that doesn't bode well for the Leicester game. 

I make no apology for repeating myself -- yet again . A goalie is only as good as the defence in front of him..

Our strike force will pick itself,  but we need to pack the bench with every fit defender who is available for Friday night..  

Sadly, goalkeepers are blamed every time, but the striker who misses 3 or 4 sitters has only had .. a bit of  " bad luck " .    Put blame where it belongs. 

Again, just tripe of a post.  

Goalkeepers make a huge difference to a defence. Of course it’s a two way street, but they make a huge difference. 

A weak and uncommanding goalkeeper would make even Man City or Barcelona’s back 4 much worse. As has been proven over and over again. 

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

No mention of the save he made against Donyel Malen I notice.

Just watched the pen. One could argue he was lucky not to get a red for stopping an obvious goalscoring opportunity?

5 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Just watched the pen. One could argue he was lucky not to get a red for stopping an obvious goalscoring opportunity?

Rule changed a few years back, it's a yellow card if it's deemed that the goalkeeper/defender has made a genuine attempt to play the ball. 

38 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Again, just tripe of a post.  

Goalkeepers make a huge difference to a defence. Of course it’s a two way street, but they make a huge difference. 

A weak and uncommanding goalkeeper would make even Man City or Barcelona’s back 4 much worse. As has been proven over and over again. 

As has never been proven. Please don’t make up your own facts.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

As has never been proven. Please don’t make up your own facts.

It’s obviously proven.

I could name countless times where just changing the keeper has improved teams.

The Martinez one above is a prime example. 

If your ridiculous theory that goalkeepers are only as good as the defence in front of them was true, why would any club buy a goalkeeper?

Why not put a youth player in goal? Why spend any money on a goalkeeper at all?

…oh yeah. Because goalkeeper is an absolutely vital position that can have a huge impact on any football team. 

13 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

It’s obviously proven.

I could name countless times where just changing the keeper has improved teams.

The Martinez one above is a prime example. 

If your ridiculous theory that goalkeepers are only as good as the defence in front of them was true, why would any club buy a goalkeeper?

Why not put a youth player in goal? Why spend any money on a goalkeeper at all?

…oh yeah. Because goalkeeper is an absolutely vital position that can have a huge impact on any football team. 

A better keeper will lead to better results.  But in a team with a bad defence he may not make a big difference. 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu