GB News

SotonianWill

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

No is the answer it doesn't matter at all. It seems to me that the far left are much more interested in it than any other group. 

The left are bound to be more concerned about right wing broadcasters breaking impartiality rules, that’s just obvious.

15 minutes ago, aintforever said:

The left are bound to be more concerned about right wing broadcasters breaking impartiality rules, that’s just obvious.

Clearly it's an unhealthy obsession for some on social media and elsewhere. 

18 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Sorry, are you asking if free to air BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 exist?

There are a number of other over the air stations that also broadcast, they exist as well.

I meant, does tv still get delivered through aerials, and do kids still end up waving coathangers in the air to get a good signal etc. I've not used one for about 30 years and that's what I associated with the original 4 or 5 channels. As I said, it was a genuine question, not making any kind of argument or disagreeing with anything!

2 hours ago, pingpong said:

I meant, does tv still get delivered through aerials, and do kids still end up waving coathangers in the air to get a good signal etc. I've not used one for about 30 years and that's what I associated with the original 4 or 5 channels. As I said, it was a genuine question, not making any kind of argument or disagreeing with anything!

Yes.

It's called digital TV.

On 19/03/2024 at 20:53, sadoldgit said:

It is a propaganda channel for the far right masquerading as a news channel, pure and simple. Ofcom have finally got around to doing something about it thankfully. If it wants to broadcast as a proper news channel then it should abide by the rules. If it wants to continue as it is then it should rebrand itself as the Gammon Broadcasting Company so no one is in any doubt about what they are getting.

Ofcom have said that they hold news programmes on the BBC and Channel 4 to a higher standard because they are bigger. Absolutely ridiculous. All news outlets should be held to the same standards.

Oh, and for those making excuses for its existence, you don’t have to tune in to be flooded by its content. It’s propaganda appears all over news feeds too.

Will you support the newspaper equivalent of offcom investigating the Guardian and its clear bias to the left? No need to answer; I think we all have your number.

21 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Many political commentators are of the opinion that this current Tory Party are “far right”.

GB News is very skewed in it support of the Tory Party.

Many of the people who are employed by GB News carry views which many would consider to be “far right” in political parlance.

The items that flood news feeds from the GB News platform are invariable well right of whatever normal people would consider Tory centre right politics.

Nigel Farage, one of the most obvious cheerleaders for far right policies is one of the major poster boys of GB News.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck…

I would also imagine that the people it appeals to  take to social media to call any who dare to call it out for what it is a “helmet”.

By the way, I referred to it as “far right” to differentiate it from any kind of connection to more reasonable kind of Conservatism. I know it is hard to remember what centre right Tories were like as they seem to have disappeared and been replaced by the Lee Anderson, Rees-Mogg, Suella Braverman, Kemi Badenoch ultra nationalist, immigrant hating flag shaggers.

Didn’t they employ that notorious wokey hater 😂 Lawrence Fox too for a while? No “far right” vibes there either eh?

It will be interesting to see what kind of coverage (promotion) GB News gives to Reform in the forthcoming election. 

It bases itself on Fox News so that should be a giveaway. If you still aren’t convinced it was too much even for Andrew Neil!!

Just go read what the definition of far right actually means, this is a decent starting point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far-right_politics#:~:text=Far-right politics%2C or right,often also including nativist tendencies.

The Conservative party are not "far right". GB News is not "far right".  Your view point is absolutely baffling and completely skewed, you are blind to reality. Go and live in a country with a far right or far left government and see how long you last if you aren't purged or put in prison etc. 

Let's look at this text here:

"Far-right politics have led to oppression, political violence, forced assimilation, ethnic cleansing, and genocide against groups of people based on their supposed inferiority or their perceived threat to the native ethnic group, nation, state, national religion, dominant culture, or conservative social institutions"

Is anyone oppressed in this country or by watching a news channel? No.

Has anyone faced political violence? Well yes, currently there is a lot of antisemitism.

Ethnic cleansing, genocide ... NO!

We live in a tolerant society, arguably the most tolerant in the world and you are welcome to try to disprove that statement.  

Even Reform are not a 'far right" party and the BBC have had to apologise (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/19/bbc-apologises-for-calling-reform-uk-far-right) or face action for labelling them as such at the weekend, they back-tracked pretty damn quickly with that one.  Lee Anderson in my opinion is a prat, but I am allowed that opinion - doesn't make me far left to say that. 

There is nothing wrong with having a centre right news channel, to say it's far right is just plain wrong and like me saying Channel 4 news is far left. It isn't.  There is no point getting so worked up about it all and to my original point, it's wrong (and libellous as per the BBC this week) to label it far right. 

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

No. Rachel Johnson's a presenter.

And this bloke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Ferrari

In fact that’s a balance as Johnson is Lib Dem/left wing Tory, Ferrari is right and O’Brien left.

It’s not the journalist presenters with a slight angle on GB News, it’s the fact you’ve got current ministers and MPs from a single party presenting news shows. If they cut that out, there’d still only be 100 people watching but they’d be ok with OFCOM because it’s no different to Andrew Pierce and Kevin Maguire debating on GMTV.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Just go read what the definition of far right actually means, this is a decent starting point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far-right_politics#:~:text=Far-right politics%2C or right,often also including nativist tendencies.

The Conservative party are not "far right". GB News is not "far right".  Your view point is absolutely baffling and completely skewed, you are blind to reality. Go and live in a country with a far right or far left government and see how long you last if you aren't purged or put in prison etc. 

"Far-right politics have led to oppression, political violence, forced assimilation, ethnic cleansing, and genocide against groups of people based on their supposed inferiority or their perceived threat to the native ethnic group, nation, state, national religion, dominant culture, or conservative social institutions"

Has anyone faced political violence? Well yes, currently there is a lot of antisemitism.

We live in a tolerant society, arguably the most tolerant in the world and you are welcome to try to disprove that statement.  

Even Reform are not a 'far right" party and the BBC have had to apologise (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/19/bbc-apologises-for-calling-reform-uk-far-right) or face action for labelling them as such at the weekend, they back-tracked pretty damn quickly with that one.  Lee Anderson in my opinion is a prat, but I am allowed that opinion - doesn't make me far left to say that. 

There is nothing wrong with having a centre right news channel, to say it's far right is just plain wrong and like me saying Channel 4 news is far left. It isn't.  There is no point getting so worked up about it all and to my original point, it's wrong (and libellous as per the BBC this week) to label it far right. 

if we really were under a far right government Sog wouldn't be able to come on here spouting all his shite so maybe one isn't such a bad idea.

13 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

And this bloke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Ferrari

In fact that’s a balance as Johnson is Lib Dem/left wing Tory, Ferrari is right and O’Brien left.

It’s not the journalist presenters with a slight angle on GB News, it’s the fact you’ve got current ministers and MPs from a single party presenting news shows. If they cut that out, there’d still only be 100 people watching but they’d be ok with OFCOM because it’s no different to Andrew Pierce and Kevin Maguire debating on GMTV.

GB News even have ex labour MPs on their line up.

Current shadow ministers and MPs routine host shows on LBC?

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

There has never been a bar on MPs presenting current affairs on TV.  What is in question is that MPs are not allowed to present news or specifically interview politicians about policy, it seems obvious that GB news have broken the code where other platforms have not.  It is really very simple, and no amount of whataboutary will justify GB news actions wrt to serving MPs.  PS. ex MPs don’t count😉

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

As Moonraker says above, the issue is that sitting MPs are not permitted to present or read news in the place of newsreaders. In the incidents OFCOM ruled on, studio discussions were interrupted by 'breaking' news items which the presenters proceeded to read out and comment on. Simple, clear, breach of the regulations.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I don’t watch it so I am no expert on its content. I do see numerous items from it on my news feed daily and many of those fall into what I would describe as far right in their content. A number of the people it employs  or have employed are people who most people ((apart from Duckhunter) hold far right views. I don’t know why you are getting so worked up about it. It is just an opinion. The most important issue here is that it has already been found to be breaking broadcasting rules with a number of outstanding allegations of rule breaking still to be considered. The usual suspects who jump all over any criticism of anything remotely right of centre are already brandishing their pitchforks. Good for you if you feel that you need to join them. The simple fact is that the current Tory Party is considered by many people better versed to judge these things than you or I to have lurched a long way to the right and GB News is a station that promotes those values daily. The degrees to which the Tory Party and the content of GB News are beyond centre right ideology is open to interpretation but it is fair to say if Nigel Farage is a big player then that is an fair indicator of where they are. I think most reasonable people would consider UKIP as far right so this also is a good indicator of where we are now.

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/48322-tories-now-seen-as-being-as-right-wing-as-2014-16-era-ukip

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Haha 3

On 21/03/2024 at 06:22, Fan The Flames said:

No. Rachel Johnson's a presenter.

As is Nick Ferrari, Iain Dale, Tom Swarbrick and several others with strong links to the Tories. But as has been pointed out, the rules that have been broken are very specific and concern a different issue than partisan presenters fronting up their own programmes. There is a reason why we don’t have Jacob Rees-Mogg or Nigel Farage as news anchors on the BBC and that has absolutely nothing to do with David Lammy presenting his own show on LBC. I appreciate that the difference might be lost on some here though.

There is also the issue of, in a democracy, why we have so many media outlets controlled by those who support right wing ideologies and so few supporting opposite ideologies but I know that upsets the usual crew here so I won’t say any more on the subject for now. 

I know that this article will mean nothing to the crew but they can’t deny that a lot of the rhetoric that has been normalised by Tory ministers nowadays would only have been expected from far right organisations like the BNP and UKIP a few years ago. The move towards far right politics across Europe is also very evident.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/the-changing-face-of-the-british-far-right/

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-braces-for-far-right-wave-as-eu-election-looms/

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

There is also the issue of, in a democracy, why we have so many media outlets controlled by those who support right wing ideologies and so few supporting opposite ideologies but I know that upsets the usual crew here so I won’t say any more on the subject for now. 

Could it be that most people with enough money to buy and run a large media outlet are capitalists and tend to favour Tory policies.

It's a free market.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

As Moonraker says above, the issue is that sitting MPs are not permitted to present or read news in the place of newsreaders. In the incidents OFCOM ruled on, studio discussions were interrupted by 'breaking' news items which the presenters proceeded to read out and comment on. Simple, clear, breach of the regulations.

is that it? is this the golden egg that means GB news (in the view on many, not you) is 'far right'....

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I don’t watch it so I am no expert on its content. I do see numerous items from it on my news feed daily and many of those fall into what I would describe as far right in their content. A number of the people it employs  or have employed are people who most people ((apart from Duckhunter) hold far right views. I don’t know why you are getting so worked up about it. It is just an opinion. The most important issue here is that it has already been found to be breaking broadcasting rules with a number of outstanding allegations of rule breaking still to be considered. The usual suspects who jump all over any criticism of anything remotely right of centre are already brandishing their pitchforks. Good for you if you feel that you need to join them. The simple fact is that the current Tory Party is considered by many people better versed to judge these things than you or I to have lurched a long way to the right and GB News is a station that promotes those values daily. The degrees to which the Tory Party and the content of GB News are beyond centre right ideology is open to interpretation but it is fair to say if Nigel Farage is a big player then that is an fair indicator of where they are. I think most reasonable people would consider UKIP as far right so this also is a good indicator of where we are now.

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/48322-tories-now-seen-as-being-as-right-wing-as-2014-16-era-ukip

I'm not the one who is worked up here, I want you to learn the definition of far right. I am not defending GB News, or anyone, just wanting you to admit you're incorrect with labelling them far right.  The over use of "far right" and "far left" in this country is laughable, by people who don't understand what it actually means. I refer you to my previous post.

And you don't know my politics, I haven't told you, however I won't be voting blue, red or for Tice/Anderson (no idea what colour they are?). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm not the one who is worked up here, I want you to learn the definition of far right. I am not defending GB News, or anyone, just wanting you to admit you're incorrect with labelling them far right.  The over use of "far right" and "far left" in this country is laughable, by people who don't understand what it actually means. I refer you to my previous post.

And you don't know my politics, I haven't told you, however I won't be voting blue, red or for Tice/Anderson (no idea what colour they are?). 

When I was growing up, far left was communism, far right was fascism.

2 minutes ago, iansums said:

When I was growing up, far left was communism, far right was fascism.

Now, Far Right (in the eyes of the loons) is attending Armed Forces day and celebrating Xmas

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

is that it? is this the golden egg that means GB news (in the view on many, not you) is 'far right'....

Not sure how OFCOM's slap on the wrist turned GBeebies into Goebbels' propaganda ministry, I suspect the extrapolation is more in the imagination of the more susceptible of us.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2024 at 11:29, sadoldgit said:

As is Nick Ferrari, Iain Dale, Tom Swarbrick and several others with strong links to the Tories. But as has been pointed out, the rules that have been broken are very specific and concern a different issue than partisan presenters fronting up their own programmes. There is a reason why we don’t have Jacob Rees-Mogg or Nigel Farage as news anchors on the BBC and that has absolutely nothing to do with David Lammy presenting his own show on LBC. I appreciate that the difference might be lost on some here though.

I know that this article will mean nothing to the crew but they can’t deny that a lot of the rhetoric that has been normalised by Tory ministers nowadays would only have been expected from far right organisations like the BNP and UKIP a few years ago. The move towards far right politics across Europe is also very evident.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/the-changing-face-of-the-british-far-right/

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-braces-for-far-right-wave-as-eu-election-looms/

IMG_0540.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

"Anything that makes trade more difficult makes countries poorer"'.

Jacob Rees Mogg, ( arch Brexiteer ), GB News, March 21st 2024.

I coukd be wrong but from memory he always claimed that there woukd be a cost to brexit and that ease of trade was not the only consideration. I remember the interviews at the time so it doesn't sound like he's really changed his position. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I coukd be wrong but from memory he always claimed that there woukd be a cost to brexit and that ease of trade was not the only consideration. I remember the interviews at the time so it doesn't sound like he's really changed his position. 

Crowns on pint glasses, removal of environmental controls, and reducing health and safety legislation were also up there, along with advising customers of his investment companies to move money to EU based institutions. That and the fifty years to see if there actually was an economic benefit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Crowns on pint glasses, removal of environmental controls, and reducing health and safety legislation were also up there, along with advising customers of his investment companies to move money to EU based institutions. That and the fifty years to see if there actually was an economic benefit.

Yeah I'm not chomping at the bit to start another brexit discussion, simply pointing out that he doesn't seem to have changed his opinion. 

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Indeed, if the EU were only a trading bloc we'd still be in it.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2024 at 14:22, LuckyNumber7 said:

Indeed, if the EU were only a trading bloc we'd still be in it.

We pretty much used it as “just a trading block”. If you are a member of a large trading block there are various rules and regulations. The trouble was that a certain section of people thought we ought to have the best of both worlds. It could be argued that we now have the worst of all worlds given the state of our fishing, farming and manufacturing industries post Brexit. Still, at least we got our country back. The only surprise in 2024 is that there are still some people who believe that Brexit was a good idea and would bring us so much more than we already had. This one’s for you Duckie 😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

We pretty much used it as “just a trading block”. If you are a member of a large trading block there are various rules and regulations. The trouble was that a certain section of people thought we ought to have the best of both worlds. It could be argued that we now have the worst of all worlds given the state of our fishing, farming and manufacturing industries post Brexit. Still, at least we got our country back. The only surprise in 2024 is that there are still some people who believe that Brexit was a good idea and would bring us so much more than we already had. This one’s for you Duckie 😂

Fishing and farming, two industries that pushed for Brexit and sucked up every false promise that they were offered.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...