GB News

SotonianWill

I occasionally flick over for the comedy value. Everything about it just feels a bit grubby. I can't help wondering whether some of the presenters know that it's a joke of a channel, but just go with the flow for the pay check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golactico said:

I occasionally flick over for the comedy value. Everything about it just feels a bit grubby. I can't help wondering whether some of the presenters know that it's a joke of a channel, but just go with the flow for the pay check.

I do the same. I watch Patrick Christys for the entertainment factor. It’s not even a news show more of a political agenda current affairs 24/7 rant. If you watch it looking for news you’re going to be in the dark on what’s going on and thinking the transgender mob are taking over. 

Funniest thing is channel flicking between GB news and Sky News who I rate as the best of UK tv news. The difference in quality, detailed knowledge and professionalism is unreal. 

11 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Sky News who I rate as the best of UK tv news. The difference in quality, detailed knowledge and professionalism is unreal. 

Sky News is good for keeping on top of the breaking stories but I think the BBC is better quality. GB News is just a joke channel.

I saw a clip recently where a couple of GBNews presenters were grilling a young guy who was a climate change activist who was making a claim that excessive heat in the weather system kills. This was on Twitter and the pile on underneath from, I presume, GBNews watcher types, were all making fun of the claim, saying that the cold kills but heat doesn’t.One said he had just come back from holiday in the 40 degree heat and hadn’t died etc. 

Fact is that excessive heat is the biggest killer of humans amongst natural phenomenon and it is clear that man’s activities since the Industrial Revolution have rapidly affected changes in our weather systems, but you won’t hear that from GBNews because it doesn’t suit their agenda and it’s not what their target audience want to hear.

It gives a platform to far right nut jobs and Gammons and the sooner Ofcom does something about it the better. It is not a news station, it is a propaganda outlet for the far right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I saw a clip recently where a couple of GBNews presenters were grilling a young guy who was a climate change activist who was making a claim that excessive heat in the weather system kills. This was on Twitter and the pile on underneath from, I presume, GBNews watcher types, were all making fun of the claim, saying that the cold kills but heat doesn’t.One said he had just come back from holiday in the 40 degree heat and hadn’t died etc. 

Fact is that excessive heat is the biggest killer of humans amongst natural phenomenon and it is clear that man’s activities since the Industrial Revolution have rapidly affected changes in our weather systems, but you won’t hear that from GBNews because it doesn’t suit their agenda and it’s not what their target audience want to hear.

It gives a platform to far right nut jobs and Gammons and the sooner Ofcom does something about it the better. It is not a news station, it is a propaganda outlet for the far right.

🤣

8 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You've lost it.

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

The same rules apply to GB News as they do to the BBC.

Do we know how many people have actually been jailed for non payment? 

I haven’t seen it but Murdoch has what o assume is a TV version of The Sun called Talk Tv now. Can’t have too many right wing agenda driven media platforms eh?

At least we know where the money is coming from in the public funded BBC, but I guess people like Batman prefer their news outlets to be funded by people like Murdoch and other far right agenda driven types.

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

tbf, what have they actually done other than have an opinion you don’t agree with. Not a news channel, but do you make the same bias comment when you come across PoliticsJoe clips? I’m presuming you follow them.

I don’t agree with the GB news mindset on climate change, EU, what to do with migrants etc - but what is the lefts obsession with shutting down things if it doesn't fit their narrative.

Edited by SotonianWill

43 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

tbf, what have they actually done other than have an opinion you don’t agree with. Not a news channel, but do you make the same bias comment when you come across PoliticsJoe clips? I’m presuming you follow them.

I don’t agree with the GB news mindset on climate change, EU, what to do with migrants etc - but what is the lefts obsession with shutting down things if it doesn't fit their narrative.

For a lot of people they don't have any opinions that they agree with and that's the problem.

Does GB News etc have to follow the same impartiality rules as other news outlets? Or can they keep pushing their agenda, paid for by sponsors that want to influence the public debate, with out any challenge.

LBC radio had to rebalance it's output and it's gone from being Daily Mail radio to something a lot better.

Edited by Fan The Flames

11 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

For a lot of people they don't have any opinions that they agree with and that's the problem.

Does GB News etc have to follow the same impartiality rules as other news outlets? Or can they keep pushing their agenda, paid for by sponsors that want to influence the public debate, with out any challenge.

LBC radio had to rebalance it's output and it's gone from being Daily Mail radio to something a lot better.

Anyone told big Shelagh or James O'Brien?

28 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

There's nothing to stop anyone else creating a new channel - if someone wanted to create a new channel that was 'mostly centre left' to counter GB News' 'mostly centre right' views, they are free to do so.  

I find it fascinating that people get so worked up about this channel.  You don't HAVE to watch it, but I believe that you should watch every news channel possible to get a holistic view on the world.  Depending on who is presenting and/or what they're going on about, I'll watch anything. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

It’s news in name only really as already mentioned it is a current affairs opinion channel, no different to a televised LBC with James O’brien and the like. 

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

There's nothing to stop anyone else creating a new channel - if someone wanted to create a new channel that was 'mostly centre left' to counter GB News' 'mostly centre right' views, they are free to do so.  

I find it fascinating that people get so worked up about this channel.  You don't HAVE to watch it, but I believe that you should watch every news channel possible to get a holistic view on the world.  Depending on who is presenting and/or what they're going on about, I'll watch anything. 

I fully agree with this. When it comes to news I watch basically every channel and would happily listen to say a PoliticsJoe tv or The Guardian tv (LOL) despite me not agreeing with them same as I don’t agree with GB news opinions. 

Funnily enough, I doubt they would be preaching the impartiality rules if this was the case, double standards and all that.

57 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Anyone told big Shelagh or James O'Brien?

They are part of the balance mate. A principle was established, that the schedule just needs to be balanced not individual shows. So you can have Ferrari and Johnson gammon on, if you had some liberal shows as well. 

48 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yes people are free to start such a channel, and you can be assured that other people will get worked up about it, even though they don't HAVE to watch it. 

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

Unbelievable isn’t it? 

When I was younger the left defended free speech, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it” and all that. They wanted no censorship & freedom of expression for everyone. As you say, they now have an obsession with banning things & thought. It’s basically because they hate the great unwashed who they pretend to speak for. They can’t have those uneducated oiks listening to opinions that are unacceptable in middle class society. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

What if they HAVE to pay for it, regardless of whether they watch it? 

We all have to pay for stuff we don't use, it's all part of living in a society. I don't like the king, drive on roads in the north or have any family members on benefits.

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Unbelievable isn’t it? 

When I was younger the left defended free speech, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it” and all that. They wanted no censorship & freedom of expression for everyone. As you say, they now have an obsession with banning things & thought. It’s basically because they hate the great unwashed who they pretend to speak for. They can’t have those uneducated oiks listening to opinions that are unacceptable in middle class society. 

Classic transference.

5 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

We all have to pay for stuff we don't use, it's all part of living in a society. I don't like the king, drive on roads in the north or have any family members on benefits.

So you’re now claiming a TV company is the same as a welfare state, road infrastructure & the Head of state. Dear God! have you thought of moving to North Korea? 

5 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

If this was the same clip I saw, it was a Just Stop Oil 'activist' who said 1700 people literally 'boiled' to death in the heatwave last summer. He was chatting nonsense and was rightly mocked for it.

37 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Who's calling for it to be shut down?

Would you believe that there's this fucking plank for a start?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

If this was the same clip I saw, it was a Just Stop Oil 'activist' who said 1700 people literally 'boiled' to death in the heatwave last summer. He was chatting nonsense and was rightly mocked for it.

The guy might have been a twat but 61,672 is the estimated heat-related deaths in Europe last year according to this site:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02419-z

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Would you believe that there's this fucking plank for a start?

Maybe he is suggesting Ofcom tries to make sure it reports facts?

Not just overhyped bullshit to get gammons like you all angry.

Edited by aintforever

18 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/12/1187068731/heat-waves-europe-deaths-study

Just seen aint has already posted this.

Edited by Fan The Flames

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Maybe he is suggesting Ofcom tries to make sure it reports facts?

Why?

I've never watched it, don't intend to do so either, but even the Ofcom website states their remit is :

We also help to make sure people across the UK are satisfied with what they see and hear on TV and radio, and that programmes reflect the audiences they serve.

Source

Seems to me that all the criticism thrown at GB News at the moment is that it is doing exactly that and making sure its target audience sees programmes that it wants to see!

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Seems to me that all the criticism thrown at GB News at the moment is that it is doing exactly that and making sure its target audience sees programmes that it wants to see!

Programmes reflecting the audiences they serve and partial or biased news echoing what people already believe are not the same things.  

6 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Where does he say he wants it shut down?

I think anyone with any common sense understands what soggy is referring to here....

9 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Programmes reflecting the audiences they serve and partial or biased news echoing what people already believe are not the same things.  

As mentioned, I've never watched it so can't give a personal opinion on their programming / news reporting.

Their website states their Editorial charter as the following - I'm sure Ofcom will be only too pleased to receive legitimate complaints about their coverage :

We focus on what is happening right across the country – good and bad – it’s about covering what is going on, not just what is going wrong.

We will find out what is happening, present facts in a clear and honest way and ensure our coverage is well-sourced, facts are checked and all data used is robust and accurate.

If we get it wrong, we will say so – and explain what happened. We will present our programmes in a manner that respects individuals and leads to a better informed community and nation. We value freedom of expression but not by causing unjustifiable offence or exposing our audience to harm, particularly in regards to our vulnerable viewers.

We do not shy away from controversial issues. We will take a frank and honest look at the world, but we are sensitive to complex subjects and protect privacy unless compelling public interest outweighs this expectation.

On data protection, legal and ethical matters we apply the very highest standards to maintain the trust of our audience. We safeguard the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults allowing their voices and views to be heard while ensuring they are treated with dignity and shielded from harm.

1 minute ago, Fan The Flames said:

You can make it as big as you like, it still doesn't make it what you want it to mean.

It's got nothing to do with what I 'want it to mean' - it's about what Soggy wants Ofcom to do.

I'm sure he'll claim he meant that he didn't want them shut down, but he also claims he's not racist or antisemitic so take that one with a pinch of salt ;) 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What if they HAVE to pay for it, regardless of whether they watch it? 

My kids don’t watch it and don’t pay a licence fee. Do you want them to send you guidance for what you have to do as seems like you haven’t worked it out yet?

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Unbelievable isn’t it? 

When was this exactly? Walter Mitty types need to keep track as you have history of posting about eras that seem to change your age to suit.