Anyone struggle with sleep?

Raging Bull

As I write this I’m approaching being awake for 24 hours solid and have absolutely no chance of going to sleep (the mrs snoring like a turtle 🐢 with a cold doesn’t help), and I’m watching the sun come up 😬

This isn’t something that often happens in all fairness just from time to time, but I’m wondering what if any of you fine folks have this problem and what you do about it - short of prescribed medication. 

It’s a real problem when it happens because I’m paid to analyse data as part of my job and I can’t concentrate when it happens meaning I’m likely to miss something. 

Edited by Raging Bull

Standard advice:

Routine so your body unwinds naturally

No coffee after 14:00

No devices after a set time 8 or 9.

Breathing exercises

Plan next day early, so it's done and not on your mind.

Exercise, including walks.

Personally, my body clock struggles to keep the routine for any length of time. I end up with a single short sleep cycle and then I struggle to fall back asleep.

So, I have the combo of thinking of steps in a pet project. Something light and stress free, while listening to low volume history podcasts with earbuds on, to avoid getting disturbed by partner snorings etc.

It has to be both, having something my mind can dwell on without thinking too hard and the low volume podcast, so my mind can shift between them.

In the time it's taken me to type that out, I can be asleep. Other low volume stuff is fine too. ASMR whispers or soft spoken audio stories work too. It's to set up a consistent tone, and someone speaking about a subject for an hour does the trick. You get the added bonus of remembering some historical facts out of nowhere too.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Like 3

If you have a lot of things going on then write them down on a piece of paper to get them out of your mind.

Turn the TV off at 22:00 or whatever a couple of hours before going to sleep.

Reading can be a good way of shutting down your mind gradually.

Music of the right type can be a help too.

Good luck, and sweet dreams 🙂

• Like 2

The trouble I have is I wake up at 4.30/5 everyday regardless of what time I go to bed. But this makes me knackered at the weekend when I drink a bit of booze and go to bed late.

The low level thinking thing is very good for getting back to sleep if I wake in the night, I think about a nice goal I was a part of, that always works.

• Like 1

- Go to bed same time every day (will hurt sleep for the first few days but will be worth it)

- Turn on Red light on your phone for after a certain time. (see the video below, preferably you may want to keep your phone away but if you can’t, this helps me as I turn on a boring YT lecture to sleep to) 

- Breathing exercises / meditation techniques whilst in bed to calm your body and mind. You could also type up military techniques where you essentially focus on different body parts to focus on, stretch, then fully relax.

- Have a hot shower before bed or find some way of cooling your body temperature. 

- Write down in diary form your bullet points for tomorrow, or write down whatever is bothering your mind. 

Red light: 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 1

I'm going to be trying a CBD drink this evening to see if it helps me sleep better than i do. A friend has recommended it and i'd rather turn to this than more established medicinal remedies. As has been mentioned caffeine is a big issue for a lot of people, my mum changed from regular tea and coffee about a year ago and found it helped.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

As I write this I’m approaching being awake for 24 hours solid and have absolutely no chance of going to sleep (the mrs snoring like a turtle 🐢 with a cold doesn’t help), and I’m watching the sun come up 😬

This isn’t something that often happens in all fairness just from time to time, but I’m wondering what if any of you fine folks have this problem and what you do about it - short of prescribed medication. 

It’s a real problem when it happens because I’m paid to analyse data as part of my job and I can’t concentrate when it happens meaning I’m likely to miss something. 

My brother in law swears by CBD drops.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, swannymere said:

I'm going to be trying a CBD drink this evening to see if it helps me sleep better than i do. A friend has recommended it and i'd rather turn to this than more established medicinal remedies. As has been mentioned caffeine is a big issue for a lot of people, my mum changed from regular tea and coffee about a year ago and found it helped.

I'm not sure how I feel about CBD, but a shift to decaf tea and coffee after midday has made a huge difference for me. I also find that having nothing on my mind is massive. If something is overhanging from the day, I make a plan to deal with it. 

8 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

No.

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I find it’s easiest if you put on a pair of extra large wellies and shove their back legs down the big space, in front of your legs, that way they can’t run off.

Oh sorry, I thought you said sheep.

Don’t…

Something very similar actually happened in the farm next to my work about 15 years ago! 

I mean it’s not like we’re in wales either where they’re commonly known as leisure centres 

Edited by Raging Bull

2 hours ago, swannymere said:

Don't be too surprised if you don't notice an immediate effect tonight. CBD needs to be taken regularly at an appropriate dose before you will start to feel a real benefit from it.

Cutting out caffeine is definitely recommended though. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't give you energy, but it has the effect of blocking the chemical signals that tell your brain you are tired and it's time to sleep, so if you have it in your system at bed time you will struggle to switch off.

Sometimes when I'm a little wired before bed I will use a guided sleep meditation. There's loads of them on Youtube. You just need to find ones without adverts and make sure you have turned off the setting to automatically play the next video when they finish.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 1

Get hold of some melotonin. It's the hormone the brain naturally produces to induce sleep. The tablets are primarily used to reset sleeping patterns after jet lag. Its  prescription only (although over the counter in US) but you should be able to get it from the online pharmacies that do virtual doctors consultations liker Loyds. Because it isnt a drug like sleeping tablets you shouldnt get that drowsy hangover next day. 

Also get a spare room for when the turtle is driving them home. But melotonin is cheaper  

18 hours ago, buctootim said:

Get hold of some melotonin. It's the hormone the brain naturally produces to induce sleep. The tablets are primarily used to reset sleeping patterns after jet lag. Its  prescription only (although over the counter in US) but you should be able to get it from the online pharmacies that do virtual doctors consultations liker Loyds. Because it isnt a drug like sleeping tablets you shouldnt get that drowsy hangover next day. 

Also get a spare room for when the turtle is driving them home. But melotonin is cheaper  

There is a milk product you can buy where they milk the cows at night when they have high levels of melatonin in their system. Its called night milk I think. 

Dietrich Mateschitz who founded Red Bull made his fortune on giving people a drink that gave them energy. Whoever can invent a drink that genuinely helps you fall asleep will make as much money.

6 hours ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

There is a milk product you can buy where they milk the cows at night when they have high levels of melatonin in their system. Its called night milk I think. 

Dietrich Mateschitz who founded Red Bull made his fortune on giving people a drink that gave them energy. Whoever can invent a drink that genuinely helps you fall asleep will make as much money.

Eerrrr, whisky / whiskey....