Saints 1-4 Leicester - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

The whole club needs a wake up call and reality check. We are not as good as we think we are.

The Russell football philosophy of being clever and keeping possession at the back will ultimately be our undoing. 

Shipped 16 goals in the space of a couple of games.... Burnley shipped 30 odd in promotion season.... 🤣

Today from the get go was abysmal our midfield was powder puff. As for the defence where is the organisation and shape? When a centre back receives the ball I'm thinking just hoof it forwards don't mess about with it! 

You look at Leicester and pay attention the amount of times they carved us open on the counter with 1-2 passes was ridiculous.... 

Where is the urgency ? Flexibility to switch up tactics to become more resilent ..... 

I saw neither 

I will give him 5 more games if he keeps serving up this kamikaze shite get rid..... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think you’re massively overestimating how much other club’s fans actually care about Saints.

I’m not sure about this at all. We’re a well established club and have had a shocking run of comical situations in recent years:

> The nine nils

> Nathan Jones

> Grimsby defeat

> Relegation

> Pathetic home record

> Pathetic defensive record

I agree Everton and Reading are above us in the laughing stock league but being a Saints fan has been bloody embarrassing in recent times.

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

I said on the way back after the game, its like watching a sunday leauge side with no coaching trying to play out from the back. 

No real sense of direction, no plan, no confidence on the ball.

I get that this style may take time to implement but ffs why make it way more difficult for yourself than you have to? Just go back to basics, have a bit of the tippy tappy passing but why on earth set up in defence to leave us entirely open on the break? OK so we didn't help ourselves tonight with individual errors that led to goals, but if you lose to a couple of mistakes you can almost take that. We just make it so easy for the opposition to run at us and invite pressure. 

• Like 1

Just now, Exeter Saint said:

Work in progress. Better than 9-0 and 5-0. Leicester look like a Premier League team. Saints don’t.

They don't - they were just coached half decent and had a plan - we made it easy for them by having no midfield whatsoever. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Is KWP a right back ..inverted right back ..midfield inverted right back ..a midfield centre back inverted right back ? Just wondering 😛

He was absolutely terrible today and we know he's been consistently good for us. He's confused and the tactics mean he doesn't know what he's doing. Either the communication is wrong or the system has meant it isn't clear what is going on. 

• Like 4

Martin.....post match

• Everyones responsibility tonight
  • we made it difficult, 3rd goal was the killer
  • we were on top in the 2nd half, they were clinical, we were not
  • people will talk about the score, but if we were more clinical, it would be different
  • we cannot concede 2 early goals
  • we went toe to toe, and you have to accept they will get through us at times
  • I am proud of the players, as this is different to Sunderland, they did what we asked them
  • Leicester lost the ball more than we did, but no one will criticise their manager
  • we will continue to work on what we do
  • if anyone expects to not experience pain now, they are naive
  • This was much better than sunderland, and not a huge amount in it tonight
  • the first goal was ridiculous, 2nd goal we know why as players were out of position, 3rd goal was about poor transition
  • we will make more mistakes and we will see more bumps in the road
  • how people react is up to them
  • If we play like we did tonight, move the ball like that, we will be more than OK
  • All will want a reaction on Tuesday. If we play like we did tonight, sure it will come
  • James Justin said it was not a red card, I do not believe it was a red card, we will see.
Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Martin.....post match

Everyones responsibility tonight

we made it difficult, 3rd goal was the killer

we were on top in the 2nd half, they were clinical, we were not

people will talk about the score, but if we were more clinical, it would be different

we cannot concede 2 early goals

we went toe to toe, and you have to accept they will get through us at times

I am proud of the players, as this is different to Sunderland, they did what we asked them

Leicester lost the ball more than we did, but no one will criticise their manager

we will continue to work on what we do

if anyone expects to not experience pain now, they are naive

This was much better than sunderland, and not a huge amount in it tonight

the first goal was ridiculous, 2nd goal we know why as players were out of position, 3rd goal was about poor transition

we will make more mistakes and we will see more bumps in the road

how people react is up to them

If we play like we did tonight, move the ball like that, we will be more than OK

All will want a reaction on Tuesday. If we play like we did tonight, sure it will come

James Justin said it was not a red card, I do not believe it was a red card, we will see.

Absolute fucking nutter

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I get that this style may take time to implement but ffs why make it way more difficult for yourself than you have to? Just go back to basics, have a bit of the tippy tappy passing but why on earth set up in defence to leave us entirely open on the break? OK so we didn't help ourselves tonight with individual errors that led to goals, but if you lose to a couple of mistakes you can almost take that. We just make it so easy for the opposition to run at us and invite pressure. 

He's had what, 3 / 4 months now? We look like a bunch of players thrown together last night. 

The pressing is appaling, so so easy to play through. Noone seems to know where there team mate is and we have no real clue of how to break anyone down on the ball either. 

Seems like the tactics are "throw as many men forward, that's bound to get a goal". 

I watched Leicester today and could tell their plan - I've watched us all season and have no idea of how we aim to break sides down or score goals. 

• Like 3

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

What did he do again? Ndidi and Maividi on the other hand, both made boys of our midfield and defence

Sat in the middle of the park, kept the ball moving (forwards), broke down anything we tried to play through the middle. 

Significantly better than Downes (and I'm a Downes fan). I don't think the tactics helped us today though. 

It’s like watching kids football with nobody wanting to play defence. 

mr Cliche calls them bumps in the road. I call it a complete lack of defensive nous. They do not have a clue about football defence basics and positioning. If he thinks he can ignore these basics and say it’s going to take time for the project to work I think he is very naive. 

poor organisation, poor positioning, poor decisions, poor basic passing, tackling, heading skills absolutely nothing good about our basic football foundations. 

• Like 4

Just now, Scoobysaint said:

The blokes an absolute joke. Such a smug tosser who thinks he knows best. So fed up with Southampton always trying to be so clever with their appointments. Just get a manger in who plays normal attacking and defending football. Not this idiot.

I don't think saints fans are asking for much. Just a competitive team, a bit of entertainment and some grit and determination. What we saw today and in the last game was a total mess and is a result of us trying to reinvent the wheel and asking perfectly decent players for this level to do things they aren't comfortable with in the name of some ideology. I just want to be competitive in football games and blow the philosophy. I never saw us with any of this rubbish the last time we won promotion. 

• Like 6

ive just watched RM's after match interview. I think he's just had his own nathan jones moment. utterly delusional.

*"much better performance than sunderland"

*"that we were on top second half and that we just didn't take our chances"

*that hes proud of the players (twice)

*If we move the ball like that and play like that then we'll be more thank OK" (is this where were aiming?

*that there was no real difference between the teams...

absolutely no awareness at all. (very very concerning)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Martin.....post match

people will talk about the score, but if we were more clinical, it would be different

I am proud of the players, as this is different to Sunderland, they did what we asked them

Leicester lost the ball more than we did, but no one will criticise their manager

the first goal was ridiculous, 2nd goal we know why as players were out of position, 3rd goal was about poor transition

If we play like we did tonight, move the ball like that, we will be more than OK

All will want a reaction on Tuesday. If we play like we did tonight, sure it will come

James Justin said it was not a red card, I do not believe it was a red card, we will see.

The bloke's on LSD or something. Seeing a different world to the rest of us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Martin.....post match

That's the first time this season that I completely disagree with him and think he sounds like a loony. We weren't watching the same game if he thinks that. 

• Like 7

It’s so easy to lay blame but let’s have a look at responsibility. Russell Martin is quickly turning into a Nathan Jones without the prayers. He picks the team, he creates the formation and still can’t get it right. We have the makings of a decent Championship side and with the right organisation can turn things around. I’m not convinced that Leicester are a good side. We were so pathetic in almost all departments we actually made them look good. Not only do the players need a little bit of confidence but RM to me is not the person to instil it. 
Let’s see how we do on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

He's had what, 3 / 4 months now? We look like a bunch of players thrown together last night. 

The pressing is appaling, so so easy to play through. Noone seems to know where there team mate is and we have no real clue of how to break anyone down on the ball either. 

Seems like the tactics are "throw as many men forward, that's bound to get a goal". 

I watched Leicester today and could tell their plan - I've watched us all season and have no idea of how we aim to break sides down or score goals. 

I think some of our attacking play is nice enough. I can't see what shape we're supposed to be in when we are defending though. We have spells in games where we dominate and look the superior team but it doesn't last and we make terrible choices that lead to numerous chances and goals for the opposition. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-4 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic