New Manager thread v 100000000

Dman

Expecting this one to ramp up a bit in the next few weeks, especially when Leeds give us a pasting. So, not like the club will listen, who'd you have on your list?

Its clear we want to play a possession based approach, so pointless wasting a post saying someone like Big Sam, Ralph etc. and clearly Potter isn't coming, so keep it realistic please... 

For me, the one I wanted all summer was Vieira but he's now managing in France so we've missed that boat. 

SR clearly like a risk, so on that Basis - Carrick or Henry please.

The most depressing thing about our situation is that there are a host of names, mostly on my "never in a million years" list, that all now look like a pragmatic improvement on what we have. 

We are not (quite) at Branfoot years in terms of management - but we certainly are in terms of ownership.... Get a grip Dragan!

23 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

Kevin Muscat. He's an absolute cunt. But his managerial career has been annoyingly successful and has learned off Ange. 

Second that, I don't generally like cun*s until they are on my side, I have flexible ethics when it comes to things like that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ted Laso for me.

Dead serious too as I’m watching the 3rd series now and I loved his ‘believe’ chat when the sign fell down.

Just my personal thoughts….. Wilcox wanted Martin and no way will he allow him to be sacked. Think we have him until Xmas at the latest and if we are hoovering on the 17th place mark in the league with a -28 against our name then he will have to swallow his pride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

Anyone that doesn't have a fucking football 'philosophy'. Anyone that knows how to win a football match. 

Glad it's not just me that thinks this is nonsense. A way of playing, yeah fine. But this fluffy bollocks is nonsense. A solid spine with a good goalkeeper, two good central defenders, a decent defensive midfielder, a decent attacking or box to box midfielder and a striker than can stick the ball in the net and you 90% of the way there. all this philosophies, number 6, 8, 10s, false nines is nonsense spouted by people who want to sound clever.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

The moment you sit down and really think who we could get in at this point is the moment you'll realise it's best we have a bit more patience and hope that this turns around under Martin.

In all seriousness and I don't know if this is me overreacting, I don't actually think we could have done any worse than we have this season to date. 

I'm fairly sure you could pick someone out of the crowd with a relative sense of sensibility and understanding of football (slim pickings at St Marys it has to be said) and we'd be on the same amount of points as we currently are, based on the fact we simply have better players than everyone else. 

Maybe naive but I firmly believe If you stripped back all of the complicated tactics, played a simple 433 or 4231 with your best players on the pitch, we'd still have beaten Sheff Weds, QPR and Plymouth. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

In all seriousness and I don't know if this is me overreacting, I don't actually think we could have done any worse than we have this season to date. 

I'm fairly sure you could pick someone out of the crowd with a relative sense of sensibility and understanding of football (slim pickings at St Marys it has to be said) and we'd be on the same amount of points as we currently are, based on the fact we simply have better players than everyone else. 

Maybe naive but I firmly believe If you stripped back all of the complicated tactics, played a simple 433 or 4231 with your best players on the pitch, we'd still have beaten Sheff Weds, QPR and Plymouth. 

I actually said the exact same thing in the pub before Tuesday. I just can't be fucked to go through another change at this point and borderline guarantee we're stuck here this season, rather than at least trying to back whatever nonsense RM is trying to achieve here. 

God knows really. Every option feels pretty rough at the moment.

• Like 1

Football is a simple game if you let it be.

Do you honestly think KWP would want the ball passed back to him with two players running at him?

Do you think Charles loves someone passing to him as the last line of defence?

How about Edozie sprinting down the wing with a clear pathway and then playing it back to defence because he had to follow orders?

I honestly believe the manager should shut the fuck up and let them play football the way they have been brought up to play. With fun, passion and a open mind to create opportunities.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

The common factor is Southampton fc , doesn't seem to matter who the manager or players are . Once they leave they have a new lease of life.

Yes, we seem blighted. Perhaps it is time as suggested the other day to bring back Ceridwen Dragonoak Connelly (The White Witch). She can do team selections and tactics as well if asked.

Edited by Badger
  • Haha 1

Neil warnock has a decent record of keeping teams up in the championship... 

Honestly as above,I never thought I’d say it but I would take someone like him or allardyce now. I just want common sense and basic defensive awareness drilled back into the team. When we went up before, that’s all we did. Pardew did the basics well, Adkins added some attaking impetus and then poch etc. added flair and built on the solid foundations. 

Right now it feels like we are trying to run before we can even walk. We lose every aerial duel, we can’t pass five yards, we concede from ever corner. Lots of work to be done whether we stick or twist. (I assume we will stick for a long time yet)

Edited by Osvaldorama
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Colin Wanker and some 4-4-fucking 2.

Yeh, this is a proppa football club, and it needs a proppa manager. Only one man will do:

A79D460D-39AD-464E-B7BF-30DECA73B7DB.thumb.webp.0124ea6971099231f9d21e67973dbca1.webp

Rasmus and Jason need to get themselves round the table in  Sandbanks, and after some of Sandra’s Jam Roly Poly get the deal signed and sorted.

(Russell Martin just goes up 100% in Saints fans estimation). 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

The moment you sit down and really think who we could get in at this point is the moment you'll realise it's best we have a bit more patience and hope that this turns around under Martin.

Yeah because there aren't dozens of coaches around who would do a far better job then RM. Not many that could do worse though.

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

The common factor is Southampton fc , doesn't seem to matter who the manager or players are . Once they leave they have a new lease of life.

We seem to just suck the life out of any player. They arrive with enormous promise, start well, and then mutate into a feckless waster.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yeh, this is a proppa football club, and it needs a proppa manager. Only one man will do:

A79D460D-39AD-464E-B7BF-30DECA73B7DB.thumb.webp.0124ea6971099231f9d21e67973dbca1.webp

Rasmus and Jason need to get themselves round the table in  Sandbanks, and after some of Sandra’s Jam Roly Poly get the deal signed and sorted.

(Russell Martin just goes up 100% in Saints fans estimation). 

Triffic! Bare bones innit.

Just now, Osvaldorama said:

Neil warnock has a decent record of keeping teams up in the championship... 

Honestly as above,I never thought I’d say it I would take someone like him or allardyce now. I just want common sense and basic defensive awareness drilled back into the team. When we went up before, that’s all we did. Pardew did the basics well, Adkins added some attaking impetus and then poch etc. added flair and built on the solid foundations. 

Right now it feels like we are trying to run before we can even walk. We lose every aerial duel, we can’t pass five yards, we concede from ever corner. Lots of work to be done whether we stick or twist. (I assume we will stick for a long time yet)

Sad thing is that, as in 2022,  we were an attractive proposition for most managers in the summer. 

Mowbray is another one, solid sort of manager who tries to play it the right way and sorts a team out. In the summer he might have been interested but unlikely now.

But Mowbray and Warnock won’t fit or match up (sorry, “align” ) with the spreadsheet operators  at SFC despite being well placed to get results. 

• Like 4

Just now, Badger said:

If we’re calling  random names in the Saints next manager bingo :

can I point out that Danny Rohl is available.

As is Wade Elliott by the way. 

What’s the hipsters choice of 2016, Paco Jemez up to these days? Remember how we HAD to hire him because he’d done alright at some tiny club in Spain for a season 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What’s the hipsters choice of 2016, Paco Jemez up to these days? Remember how we HAD to hire him because he’d done alright at some tiny club in Spain for a season 

Who was the bloke with the hair ? Early-mid 2000’s 

Think he’d managed some obscure African nation at a WC.

Edited by Badger

Alex Neil has blotted his copybook going to Stoke and struggling with Mowbray getting Sunderland flying, otherwise he’d have been an option. Mowbray would have been a good choice for this level, proper football man with good record on not much money. Ryan Lowe at PNE who are flying and laid the foundations for Schumacher to build on at Plymouth, was his assistant. Lowe is direct and says what he thinks, so probably not suited to the political corporate blandness SFC has become. Pity as his teams have won a lot of games over the last few years and play decent stuff.

Robins is very attached to Coventry and they’ve spent some cash with a new owner. 

Warnock would liven things up a lot and make home games interesting for the first time since 2016 and offer some much needed character but with a lot more savvy than Nathan had with the media. Millions of promotions at this level but as direct Ryan Lowe in saying in what he thinks. Fine with it myself but the spreadsheet Reading/MK Dons plastics who run the club would hate it especially as none of them could come anywhere his success in the industry. 

Schumacher a good option if he could be tempted, doesn’t seem to have his head up his own arse tactically.

I like Pearson, started a bit better after bobbing around in lower mid-table with Bristol. As with Lowe and Warnock, too strong a character for the beige brigade to handle.  

If they want to go hipster again, at least consider Tomasson at Blackburn.

Either way, only a couple of weeks at most until we find out. No coincidence Dragan, Kraft and Wilcox were all there against Ipswich and apparently looking pissed off. They won’t wait as long as they did with Jones. 

1 minute ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Alex Neil has blotted his copybook going to Stoke and struggling with Mowbray getting Sunderland flying, otherwise he’d have been an option. Mowbray would have been a good choice for this level, proper football man with good record on not much money. Ryan Lowe at PNE who are flying and laid the foundations for Schumacher to build on at Plymouth, was his assistant. Lowe is direct and says what he thinks, so probably not suited to the political corporate blandness SFC has become. Pity as his teams have won a lot of games over the last few years and play decent stuff.

Robins is very attached to Coventry and they’ve spent some cash with a new owner. 

Warnock would liven things up a lot and make home games interesting for the first time since 2016 and offer some much needed character but with a lot more savvy than Nathan had with the media. Millions of promotions at this level but as direct Ryan Lowe in saying in what he thinks. Fine with it myself but the spreadsheet Reading/MK Dons plastics who run the club would hate it especially as none of them could come anywhere his success in the industry. 

Schumacher a good option if he could be tempted, doesn’t seem to have his head up his own arse tactically.

I like Pearson, started a bit better after bobbing around in lower mid-table with Bristol. As with Lowe and Warnock, too strong a character for the beige brigade to handle.  

If they want to go hipster again, at least consider Tomasson at Blackburn.

Either way, only a couple of weeks at most until we find out. No coincidence Dragan, Kraft and Wilcox were all there against Ipswich and apparently looking pissed off. They won’t wait as long as they did with Jones. 

Some good names thrown about there. Mowbray might have been possible in the summer, rumours even of Sunderland looking elsewhere then. Unlikely now, might want to work with his brother though ..,

The name Lowe is best not connected with Saints again. Thanks.