New Manager thread v 100000000

Dman

15 minutes ago, Badger said:

Well done chaps, (and chapesses), we’ve reached P2 without mention of Potter. 

Not 100% correct as he was mentioned in the very first post.😀

2 Questions,

1. If the owners were not owners but only employees would they still even be employed by the company?

2. Is their confidence in their own ability of choosing a winning manager greatly exceeded by their actual ability of doing so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Yeh, this is a proppa football club, and it needs a proppa manager. Only one man will do:

A79D460D-39AD-464E-B7BF-30DECA73B7DB.thumb.webp.0124ea6971099231f9d21e67973dbca1.webp

Rasmus and Jason need to get themselves round the table in  Sandbanks, and after some of Sandra’s Jam Roly Poly get the deal signed and sorted.

(Russell Martin just goes up 100% in Saints fans estimation). 

RedKrap sold his house in Sandbanks at least 5 years ago. Where've you bin?

13 minutes ago, Saint in Paradise said:

Not 100% correct as he was mentioned in the very first post.😀

2 Questions,

1. If the owners were not owners but only employees would they still even be employed by the company?

2. Is their confidence in their own ability of choosing a winning manager greatly exceeded by their actual ability of doing so.

Bollocks, after all these years an old exam failing of not fully reading the fucking question properly comes back to haunt me.

I follow the point of your second question though, but think it’s the other way round, their confidence exceeds their ability (which is what I think you meant). 

1 hour ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Either way, only a couple of weeks at most until we find out. No coincidence Dragan, Kraft and Wilcox were all there against Ipswich and apparently looking pissed off. They won’t wait as long as they did with Jones. 

Stop it, you're giving me a glimmer of hope!

Totally sticking my neck out here. I think he's got 2 more games. Poor performance against Middlesbrough (a scratchy draw?) and spanked by Leeds = GONE! That leaves Rotherham and an International break for the shiny new manager. Probably totally wrong, but I'm living in hope. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Totally sticking my neck out here. I think he's got 2 more games. Poor performance against Middlesbrough (a scratchy draw?) and spanked by Leeds = GONE! That leaves Rotherham and an International break for the shiny new manager. Probably totally wrong, but I'm living in hope. 

Something tells me they’ll give him more time…perhaps even until Christmas. He’s probably seen as one of the bright light Managers sub-Prem with a Pep style system in his kit bag and the dilemma will be whether to risk giving him time to get the system bedded in or hoping a new man can make something of the squad they’ve assembled. Not forgetting of course that RM has got two of ‘his men’ in Downes and Manning at his disposal. Personally I’d say that the evidence suggests keeping him is futile, but Wilcox will not want to admit he’s got his first major appointment very wrong.

4 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Stoke away midweek as well right after Leeds. That's 10 games so officially "a fair crack of the whip".

1 minute ago, Fan The Flames said:

Tino Pérez of Inter Fútbol Sala, highly regarded and decorated manager, tipped to be the first to successfully cross over from futsal, could be good for technical and possession based football.

Simon Clifford as Technical Director too, absolute dream team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

All hypothetical of course, but…

Given we won’t go for Potter (won’t pay his wages], we may have to wait for another PL head to roll before a decent candidate becomes free.

Cooper at Forest would be my choice, but they’re doing annoyingly well. [Ex-Swansea managers are the new black…].

Howe would be a pipe-dream at this point.  

19 minutes ago, ant said:

Look, we've tried several different managers over the past year and it clearly isn't working.

No manager. That's the future.

Can't get fired if you don't exist.

with the rise of AI - I wonder how long it'll be before a club appoint a computer as manager....

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Dont rule anything out with our hipster leaders.

i think I'd rather that then the dross Rassmus keeps picking. 

But on a serious note, there is enough data in football now for AI to select a team based on another teams strengths and weakness' and predict patterns of play almost instantly. Obviously you could never have a algorithm being an actual manager, but you could have it making all of the decisions with a few coaching staff and a motivational speaker as a front for it. 

I'm giving it 5-10 years before its tried. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

But on a serious note, there is enough data in football now for AI to select a team based on another teams strengths and weakness' and predict patterns of play almost instantly. Obviously you could never have a algorithm being an actual manager, but you could have it making all of the decisions with a few coaching staff and a motivational speaker as a front for it. 

dont even need to hire a speaker, just show them a few David Goggins videos before every match, get the AI to do the tactics someone who is a whizz at Football manager to pick the team. 

cant wait to hear the Northam giving it large to the AI "Artificial intelligence, get out of our club" after a few losses

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dman said:

with the rise of AI - I wonder how long it'll be before a club appoint a computer as manager....

Asked AI how to fix our problems - think the below should be the main points of discussion before each kick off.

Russell Martin typically employs a 4-1-4-1 formation that can transform into a back-three, with the midfield six dropping between the centre-backs to create the shape. The attacking full-backs push forward, effectively becoming inverted wingbacks .

To ensure high possession percentages without conceding many goals, here are a few strategies that Martin could consider:

1. Positioning of Inverted Wingbacks: The inverted wingbacks need to be tactically aware of their positioning. They should be disciplined to track back and form a five-man defensive line when the team loses possession. Their primary role is still to defend, and they should not neglect this duty when they move forward to join the attack.

2. Use of a Defensive Midfielder: A defensive midfielder in the 4-1-4-1 formation can act as an extra shield for the defense. This player can drop deep to cover for the inverted wingbacks when they push forward, effectively transforming the formation into a 3-4-3 in possession. This can help maintain defensive solidity while still allowing for high possession in the opponent's half.

3. Pressing and Quick Recovery: High possession football often requires aggressive pressing and quick recovery of the ball once it's lost. The whole team, including the forwards, need to press the opponent and try to win back possession as quickly as possible. This reduces the chances of being caught out on counter-attacks, a common risk when playing with inverted wingbacks.

4. Communication and Understanding: Good communication and understanding among the players is vital. The centre-backs, inverted wingbacks, and defensive midfielder need to constantly communicate and cover for each other's positions. They should be aware of when to push forward and when to stay back based on the game situation.

What we should do v Boro 

When facing a team like Middlesbrough, Russell Martin's Southampton FC should consider the following tactics:

Control the Midfield: Middlesbrough is known for their physicality and direct style of play. Hence, controlling the midfield is crucial. The 4-1-4-1 formation allows for a strong midfield presence. The single pivot can help disrupt Middlesbrough's play, while the four midfielders can help maintain possession and control the tempo of the game.

Quick Transitions: Given Middlesbrough's direct style, quick transitions from defense to attack can catch them off guard. The inverted wingbacks and midfielders should look to quickly move the ball forward after regaining possession.

Defend Set Pieces Well: Middlesbrough can be a threat from set pieces due to their physicality. Good organization and man-marking during set pieces is key to prevent conceding goals.

Exploit Wide Areas: As the wingbacks push forward, there could be space to exploit on the flanks. Quick switches of play to the wingbacks can help create scoring opportunities.

Press High: A high press can disrupt Middlesbrough's build-up play and force them into mistakes. However, the team should be careful not to overcommit and leave spaces at the back.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Asked AI how to fix our problems - think the below should be the main points of discussion before each kick off.

Russell Martin typically employs a 4-1-4-1 formation that can transform into a back-three, with the midfield six dropping between the centre-backs to create the shape. The attacking full-backs push forward, effectively becoming inverted wingbacks .

To ensure high possession percentages without conceding many goals, here are a few strategies that Martin could consider:

1. Positioning of Inverted Wingbacks: The inverted wingbacks need to be tactically aware of their positioning. They should be disciplined to track back and form a five-man defensive line when the team loses possession. Their primary role is still to defend, and they should not neglect this duty when they move forward to join the attack.

2. Use of a Defensive Midfielder: A defensive midfielder in the 4-1-4-1 formation can act as an extra shield for the defense. This player can drop deep to cover for the inverted wingbacks when they push forward, effectively transforming the formation into a 3-4-3 in possession. This can help maintain defensive solidity while still allowing for high possession in the opponent's half.

3. Pressing and Quick Recovery: High possession football often requires aggressive pressing and quick recovery of the ball once it's lost. The whole team, including the forwards, need to press the opponent and try to win back possession as quickly as possible. This reduces the chances of being caught out on counter-attacks, a common risk when playing with inverted wingbacks.

4. Communication and Understanding: Good communication and understanding among the players is vital. The centre-backs, inverted wingbacks, and defensive midfielder need to constantly communicate and cover for each other's positions. They should be aware of when to push forward and when to stay back based on the game situation.

What we should do v Boro 

When facing a team like Middlesbrough, Russell Martin's Southampton FC should consider the following tactics:

Control the Midfield: Middlesbrough is known for their physicality and direct style of play. Hence, controlling the midfield is crucial. The 4-1-4-1 formation allows for a strong midfield presence. The single pivot can help disrupt Middlesbrough's play, while the four midfielders can help maintain possession and control the tempo of the game.

Quick Transitions: Given Middlesbrough's direct style, quick transitions from defense to attack can catch them off guard. The inverted wingbacks and midfielders should look to quickly move the ball forward after regaining possession.

Defend Set Pieces Well: Middlesbrough can be a threat from set pieces due to their physicality. Good organization and man-marking during set pieces is key to prevent conceding goals.

Exploit Wide Areas: As the wingbacks push forward, there could be space to exploit on the flanks. Quick switches of play to the wingbacks can help create scoring opportunities.

Press High: A high press can disrupt Middlesbrough's build-up play and force them into mistakes. However, the team should be careful not to overcommit and leave spaces at the back.

Uh Oh Omg GIF by ESPN

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dman said:

Too late Saints have just bought one to do the job

computer.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

What we should do v Boro 

Quick transitions from defence to attack - in your dreams 🙂

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Canford cliffs I think. Someone told me Lallana bought his gaff, don’t know if that’s true or not. 

judging by the article and the picture i looks like he has move just a little way from sandbanks to here around the parkstone golf course.

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 18.31.46.png

Edited by Convict Colony

19 hours ago, Turkish said:

dont even need to hire a speaker, just show them a few David Goggins videos before every match, get the AI to do the tactics someone who is a whizz at Football manager to pick the team. 

cant wait to hear the Northam giving it large to the AI "Artificial intelligence, get out of our club" after a few losses

‘Your memory is shit, your memory is shit, Zeephrox 3000, your memory is shit!’

Edited by Miltonaggro

Anyone who understands 4-4-2 and the long ball. Even Man U won titles by just sending in crosses and launching ball in box. I would even take RH from Palace. A manager needs to be alert to new stupid fads like having two players in 6 yard box when taking a goal kick, and not tackling . Ipswich were putting 9,10 passes together without us making a tackle. 

22 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

What we should do v Boro 

It's as if AI knows whar our problems are