Breakfast With Le God - Tuesday 10am-2pm

Jazzfunk

17 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

And for anyone with an objective eye and a brain the most technically gifted English player of his generation…

Imagine his transfer value in the game now. At his peak, there was nobody like him. The media had a Gazza love in at the time, but Le Tiss was one another level.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pingpong said:

The problem with inviting people like him to promote a business is that the business can pick up a reputation and you can limit your customer base. 

I think more people see him as a cretin than a hero nowadays.  I was around when he played and he was a lazy player, it has to be said. There's a reason he never reached top level, and it wasn't some great Venables conspiracy.

Is ping-pong the sound a thought makes as it bounces around the inside of the empty cavern you call a head? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The problem with inviting people like him to promote a business is that the business can pick up a reputation and you can limit your customer base. 

I think more people see him as a cretin than a hero nowadays.  I was around when he played and he was a lazy player, it has to be said. There's a reason he never reached top level, and it wasn't some great Venables conspiracy.

Skate

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Imagine his transfer value in the game now. At his peak, there was nobody like him. The media had a Gazza love in at the time, but Le Tiss was one another level.

Yes, these days there would be no way that Saints could retain him and rightly so.  I never bought the Gazza nonsense and thought it was purely based on media and PR hype and games that MLT simply didn't play.  Respective career statistics of the two 'attacking midfielders' tell a conclusive story MLT Apps 461 Gls 164 and PG Apps 388 Gls 83 - MLT outscored him almost two to one.  In his pomp MLT was much more like Hoddle or Zidane, in terms of enigmatic style and ability, unbelievable that he stayed at SFC, but glad he did.

I was also with Matt in the Princess Anne back in November '91 during tea breaks whilst our respective other halves were having long labours.  Lovely bloke, no edge, and we didn't once discuss football, just family and our excitement as first time Dads.  I really hope that the cafe does well out of his Breakfast forum, can you imagine any stars from the big clubs in that era doing the same - no fucking chance.  If an MLT Caribbean night can be arranged as a follow on it would be a sell out, plus he'd only cost the house three or four Malibus...   

• Like 7

4 hours ago, pingpong said:

I'm happy to say that, in my eyes, he was the most gifted player we've ever had, I don't agree with his take on some things but I'd far rather spend time with him than a miserable c*ck like you....and your assertation that 'more people' think that way of him is as un-researched and as lacking in credibility as you obviously think he is. I'm glad the chap is promoting his business (I won't be close enough to attend, sadly) through someone whose ability and dedication to Southampton Football Club has enhanced my life experience....you seem to have an agenda that's not compatible with a long-standing Saints supporting stance so I judge you accordingly - off you go - M27 and head East until it starts to smell!

• Like 3

Bit harsh, you can be a saints fan and like different types of player. He was undoubtably a good player, but his claim to fame is winning southampton player of the year three times. We've had better players:

Ron davies, Alan ball, Kevin keegan, Shilton, Terry paine, shearer, Wallace, and more recently van dijk, mane, bale.

And if you look beyond saints, he wasnt as good as eg Hoddle, bergkamp or Cantona, who had similar ball skills, but also fitness and effort, and winning mentality.  He's no messi, mbappe or Ronaldo is he?

His main appeal is that he never had the ambition to leave us, and so got to be a big fish for a while. I was there when he scored in his last game vs arsenal, and loved it, but I also loved when benali scored vs Leicester, for similar reasons. If we could have any player back at peak form, I'd rather have shearer in our team than le tiss...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, pingpong said:

More Hoddle jealousy. I would say economical rather than lazy, what's the point in running when your brain can do the work?

Years ago I was a member at Stoneham until the hills got the better of me. I used to often talk to Matt, Richard Bland and Bryn Elliott amongst others in Ian's shop. I've got to say he was always unassuming and pleasant.

• Like 1

Le Tiss is a nice bloke who has just gone a bit mental. Seen similar it in a mate of mine who now tries to convince me GB News are the only ones supplying balanced news. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Yes, these days there would be no way that Saints could retain him and rightly so.  I never bought the Gazza nonsense and thought it was purely based on media and PR hype and games that MLT simply didn't play.  Respective career statistics of the two 'attacking midfielders' tell a conclusive story MLT Apps 461 Gls 164 and PG Apps 388 Gls 83 - MLT outscored him almost two to one.  In his pomp MLT was much more like Hoddle or Zidane, in terms of enigmatic style and ability, unbelievable that he stayed at SFC, but glad he did.

I was also with Matt in the Princess Anne back in November '91 during tea breaks whilst our respective other halves were having long labours.  Lovely bloke, no edge, and we didn't once discuss football, just family and our excitement as first time Dads.  I really hope that the cafe does well out of his Breakfast forum, can you imagine any stars from the big clubs in that era doing the same - no fucking chance.  If an MLT Caribbean night can be arranged as a follow on it would be a sell out, plus he'd only cost the house three or four Malibus...   

Definitely my best player I've ever seen in a Saints shirt. It was like a buzz whenever he was on the ball. All I can remember about Gazza was that daft lunge he did in a FA Cup final and scoring against Scotland because it's been shown thousands of times. MLT was so so much better and all I ever got was the "you would say that wouldn't you?" dismissal when comparing the two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Definitely my best player I've ever seen in a Saints shirt. It was like a buzz whenever he was on the ball. All I can remember about Gazza was that daft lunge he did in a FA Cup final and scoring against Scotland because it's been shown thousands of times. MLT was so so much better and all I ever got was the "you would say that wouldn't you?" dismissal when comparing the two.

When Gascoine scored that Scotland goal and the inevitable wankfest commenced, I turned to my mate and said 'we see better than that every week' and meant it.

• Like 1

Bit harsh, you can be a saints fan and like different types of player. He was undoubtably a good player, but his claim to fame is winning southampton player of the year three times. We've had better players:

Ron davies, Alan ball, Kevin keegan, Shilton, Terry paine, shearer, Wallace, and more recently van dijk, mane, bale.

And if you look beyond saints, he wasnt as good as eg Hoddle, bergkamp or Cantona, who had similar ball skills, but also fitness and effort, and winning mentality.  He's no messi, mbappe or Ronaldo is he?

His main appeal is that he never had the ambition to leave us, and so got to be a big fish for a while. I was there when he scored in his last game vs arsenal, and loved it, but I also loved when benali scored vs Leicester, for similar reasons. If we could have any player back at peak form, I'd rather have shearer in our team than le tiss...

Yeah, you're a wum.

Back to whatever Portsmouth forum they have these days for you.

Not a saints fan

As some one who has watched the Saints for a much longer period than the vast majority on here, I would rank Le Tizz at the top of the pile, probably only matched by Mick Channon.
Terry Paine and Ron Davies had a similar positive effect on the club with the likes of Keegan, Shilton, Van Dijk also very highly rated but without the long term benefit to the club.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

As some one who has watched the Saints for a much longer period than the vast majority on here, I would rank Le Tizz at the top of the pile, probably only matched by Mick Channon.
Terry Paine and Ron Davies had a similar positive effect on the club with the likes of Keegan, Shilton, Van Dijk also very highly rated but without the long term benefit to the club.

I’ve not been watching as long as you but Virgil is quite comfortably the best player I’ve seen play for Saints, even including Tiss. He was the one player we’ve had since the mid eighties who was genuinely, unquestionably world class and could play for any club in the world. When he eventually did leave it was for a world record fee and he instantly turned Liverpool into basically the worlds best team for a couple of years.

Tiss was phenomenal for us but he wasn’t quite THAT good.

52 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’ve not been watching as long as you but Virgil is quite comfortably the best player I’ve seen play for Saints, even including Tiss. He was the one player we’ve had since the mid eighties who was genuinely, unquestionably world class and could play for any club in the world. When he eventually did leave it was for a world record fee and he instantly turned Liverpool into basically the worlds best team for a couple of years.

Kind of the same line of thought but in my lifetime, which goes back a ways, I'd put Antti Niemi in that category but I don't wanna put one over the other. Le Tiss, VVD, Niemi. Whether their impact was obvious or more subtle, and whatever their personal opinions are, these are the 3 for me and i'd invite them over for tea anytime they liked. But if they started eating with the wrong utensil I should say OI!.......

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Put Le Tissier in his pomp in that Koeman side and he would have ran riot. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, dronskisaint01 said:

I'm happy to say that, in my eyes, he was the most gifted player we've ever had, I don't agree with his take on some things but I'd far rather spend time with him than a miserable c*ck like you....and your assertation that 'more people' think that way of him is as un-researched and as lacking in credibility as you obviously think he is. I'm glad the chap is promoting his business (I won't be close enough to attend, sadly) through someone whose ability and dedication to Southampton Football Club has enhanced my life experience....you seem to have an agenda that's not compatible with a long-standing Saints supporting stance so I judge you accordingly - off you go - M27 and head East until it starts to smell!

did you intend that censored vowel to be an 'o' or a 'u'? just curious which avenue of insult you were pursuing 😆

• Haha 1

He’s clearly the best player to have ever played for us, by some distance. I don’t have to agree with his views to think that. 

People forget too that his views are his income stream now. The more outlandish they are, the more the pounds roll in I guess. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LGTL said:

He’s clearly the best player to have ever played for us, by some distance. I don’t have to agree with his views to think that. 

People forget too that his views are his income stream now. The more outlandish they are, the more the pounds roll in I guess. 

I'm pretty sure he genuinely believes what he says and isn't faking it for income. Anyone can disagree with him but let's not suggest he's lying. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm pretty sure he genuinely believes what he says and isn't faking it for income. Anyone can disagree with him but let's not suggest he's lying. 

Oh I don’t think he’s lying and he certainly believes everything he’s saying, I’m just not sure his Twitter feed would be quite so obsessed with it all if it wasn’t his income. It must be exhausting. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Oh I don’t think he’s lying and he certainly believes everything he’s saying, I’m just not sure his Twitter feed would be quite so obsessed with it all if it wasn’t his income. It must be exhausting. 

I think he is sincere, just incredibly naive and easily lead, as he proved with Pinnacle. As for being clearly our best player, we'll have to agree to disagree. Obviously he is more popular here than Van Dijk but a year after leaving us, the latter was second in the Ball D'or, sandwiched between the two greatest players who've ever lived. Tiss will be remembered along with Zola, Cantona and Gazza as someone we loved watching in the nineties but no serious fan outside Southampton is going to be talking about him alongside Zidane, Figo and Nedved as one of the all time greats.

The morning was a success with lots of fans coming in to chat to Matt. He smashed a full English and even had a strawberry milkshake "chaser" 😂

As always he was a proper gent and fielded questions on a variety of topics. He signed shirts and memorabilia and nothing was too much trouble.

Few days prior he had been over in Hong Kong playing in a charity game with the likes of Luis Figo, Michael Owen and Steve Mcmanaman, which sounded awesome.

Thanks to all who have followed my post and please pass by if you fancy a nice cooked brekkie or some of our wonderful Caribbean food.

• Like 18

13 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think he is sincere, just incredibly naive and easily lead, as he proved with Pinnacle. As for being clearly our best player, we'll have to agree to disagree. Obviously he is more popular here than Van Dijk but a year after leaving us, the latter was second in the Ball D'or, sandwiched between the two greatest players who've ever lived. Tiss will be remembered along with Zola, Cantona and Gazza as someone we loved watching in the nineties but no serious fan outside Southampton is going to be talking about him alongside Zidane, Figo and Nedved as one of the all time greats.

Does it really matter what other fans think about him? He was a Saints legend. That's all that matters to me. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Jazzfunk said:

The morning was a success with lots of fans coming in to chat to Matt. He smashed a full English and even had a strawberry milkshake "chaser" 😂

As always he was a proper gent and fielded questions on a variety of topics. He signed shirts and memorabilia and nothing was too much trouble.

Few days prior he had been over in Hong Kong playing in a charity game with the likes of Luis Figo, Michael Owen and Steve Mcmanaman, which sounded awesome.

Thanks to all who have followed my post and please pass by if you fancy a nice cooked brekkie or some of our wonderful Caribbean food.

Did anyone ask him about this thread???

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LGTL said:

Nail on head.

1 hour ago, Jazzfunk said:

Pleased for you - I'll look you up in the future, I live 200 miles away.

On 30/01/2024 at 08:38, pingpong said:

That lazy player almost singlehandedly kept us in the Premiership for many years.  Forget all the covid bolics and conspiracy theories, and just remember we had one of the most talented players around wearing the red and white, not some money grabbing, get rich quick guy who doesn't give a fuck about loyalty.  He might be controversial now but that will never take away his contribution to SFC.    Should add, I go back to the days of Terry Paine, Ron Davies, Mick Channon, so I don't say the above lightly.

Good luck jazzfunk with the event. 👍

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 4

On 29/01/2024 at 16:12, manji said:

No greasy spoon it’s immaculate. I’ve always liked the vibe of The High Street it’s sort of becoming gentrified lots of reliable cool pubs and eateries. 
it’s becoming hip.

Ah, dont get me wrong, the "greasy spoon" comment was a compliment. Much prefer a proper café than one of those hipster ones where the beans are in a jam jar and the whole thing is served on a bin lid.

Also, well done Jazzfunk for getting around the forum rules on advertising your business, by making up that Tinfoil Tiss was in attendance :classic_wink: :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

How have we got this far into the thread without a photo of some of the food on offer? 

They are on JustEat. I have no connection other than vaguely know a couple of the lads.

2 hours ago, Marsdinho said:

Ah, dont get me wrong, the "greasy spoon" comment was a compliment. Much prefer a proper café than one of those hipster ones where the beans are in a jam jar and the whole thing is served on a bin lid.

Also, well done Jazzfunk for getting around the forum rules on advertising your business, by making up that Tinfoil Tiss was in attendance :classic_wink: :classic_biggrin:

Who can complain about a bin lid full of breakfast?

• Like 1

The old boy I sat next to at the Dell went to his first game in 1921 and I asked him who the best player he had watched and he said Matt Le Tiss.

Cantona and Gazza were not on the same level - he scored more goals, registered more assists and played in what was a very moderate team.

He may look at life from a different angle to most of us but anybody who comes into contact with him finds a thoroughly decent guy.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

The old boy I sat next to at the Dell went to his first game in 1921 and I asked him who the best player he had watched and he said Matt Le Tiss.

Cantona and Gazza were not on the same level - he scored more goals, registered more assists and played in what was a very moderate team.

He may look at life from a different angle to most of us but anybody who comes into contact with him finds a thoroughly decent guy.

Absolutely. Most people who hate him are people who spend too much time on social media. Anyone who has met him in real life can attest to what a great guy he is. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

You lucked in sitting next to MLT's grandad!

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

So, the administrator was also Naive? I often wonder why people think views held by the likes of MLT are Naive, but believing everything the government says (who we know lie) is to be sensible?

Been going to footie since the 70's and no question MLT was the best we have had.

• Like 3

I don't know the views of most footballers on anything but football. They may all be cranks. I know Terry Paine was a Tory but I don't hold that against him too much. I go on how they played when I rate them as footballers and Matt was certainly our most entertaining player. On a good day, and there were many, he was our best on a bad day  and there were a few, one of our worst.

MLT was my hero growing up, wether he was our best ever is debatable but he certainly was the most skilful and entertaining player I have seen in a Saints shirt. Probably the most naturally gifted player the premier league has seen. 

His views are as mad as a box of frogs though which is a shame. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but when someone in his position talks such nonsense in the media it can be dangerous.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

So, the administrator was also Naive? I often wonder why people think views held by the likes of MLT are Naive, but believing everything the government says (who we know lie) is to be sensible?

Been going to footie since the 70's and no question MLT was the best we have had.

The administrator on this site you replied to certainly swallows everything the government comes out with so that's no surprise.

Also tickled me that the next post after his mentions Le Tiss and Figo playing together recently.

Love Le Tiss and well done jazzfunk!

• Like 1

On 30/01/2024 at 07:06, Convict Colony said:

Have to say this thread makes me just want to have a cooked breakfast.

An all day cooked breakfast. Tempted to order a breakfast to be delivered but I struggle to see how a fry up, no matter how well made, can survive a delivery and arrive in the same high standard. That’s an opinion I have of a lot of delivered food, yeah a pizza sure but…

On 31/01/2024 at 09:38, Lighthouse said:

Yes I couldn’t believe he got conned by Pinnacle not to mention the embarrassment of Celebration Plaza.