Bristol City 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

Another tough looking game. They got a good away win today but looked terrible when I saw them against Leeds the other night. Should be a good atmosphere though.

I'd make a fair few changes given Downes is out, Stu and Adams have knocks and Arma looked off it today. 

Bazunu; KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning; Charles, Rothwell, Brooks; Edozie, Sulemena, Mara. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Bristol City (A) - Tuesday 8pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
8 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

What’s Smallbone done wrong to be dropped ?

I'd give him a rest for this one. I wouldn't be playing him in the 6 position anyway. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, markr27 said:

Bazunu

KWP THB Stephens* Manning

Rothwell Smallbone Brooks

AA Mara Edozie.

*Bednarek is on 9 yellows.... 

Why would you not play a player on 9 yellows? He might as well just be suspended for an extra game, if you’re worried about that. Keep playing our best team, only rotate for fitness, and take the suspensions as and when they come.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Why would you not play a player on 9 yellows? He might as well just be suspended for an extra game, if you’re worried about that. Keep playing our best team, only rotate for fitness, and take the suspensions as and when they come.

I would... but I suspect he might even be rested anyway given he played on Tuesday against Watford.

37 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'd give him a rest for this one. I wouldn't be playing him in the 6 position anyway. 

We already have Downes out, would be bonkers to force the sub of another of our CM's. I'd put Charles next to Smallbone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We already have Downes out, would be bonkers to force the sub of another of our CM's. I'd put Charles next to Smallbone.

That's fair enough. He's played lot of games lately though, if we lose him as well as Downes then we are in trouble. Out of the games coming up I'd give Rothwell a go in the 8 on Tuesday and bring Smallbone back in on Friday. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

Four tough fixtures before our easy cup game. Bristol City, WBA, Hull and Millwall are tricky and it's possible one could mark our first defeat of the great run. If we come out of those with anything more than 7 points I think it would be a great showing and keep us in the auto hunt, 8, 9, 10 or 12 points would be fantastic. 

Bristol City are the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde side, you never know which side will turn up. They recently beat West Ham and drew with Forest, Leeds only just scraped past them away and they are a team that like to keep things tight. That said I think if we play like we did in the second half today we will win, though my head thinks a draw is possible.

Same team as today but with Rothwell in for Downes (I can't make the case for not playing him over Charles after today's showing unless we also rest Stu or Will) and Brooks to start for Che with AA in the centre (although I prefer AA wider personally). 

Lots of players making their case for selection though after today, at least in an attacking sense. 

Looking forward to this one, 3,414 sold out Saints away end behind the goal, seem to be quite a few looking for tickets still as well, great effort on a Tuesday night, even more so when you consider we're missing out on eating pancakes at home. 

Been to Ashton Gate a few times, never feels like a ground we do well at, certainly remember losing on the last couple of visits. Think I'd take a draw but with Leeds likely to beat Swansea we could do with the win. 

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Another tough looking game. They got a good away win today but looked terrible when I saw them against Leeds the other night. Should be a good atmosphere though.

I'd make a fair few changes given Downes is out, Stu and Adams have knocks and Arma looked off it today. 

Bazunu; KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning; Charles, Rothwell, Brooks; Edozie, Sulemena, Mara. 

Sulemana has done nothing to deserve a start. AA has to play. Yes he didnt have a great game today but his numbers speak for themselves this season.

Toss up between Charles and Willy.

What I'd like to see:

Bazunu, KWP, THB, Bednarek, Meghoma, Charles, Downes, Rothwell, Brooks, Mara, Edozie

What I expect to see:

Bazunu, KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning, Stu, Smallbone, Rothwell, Brooks, AdamA, Fraser

Strong squad either way with a string bench behind it. Lot of games coming up in not much time so we're going to need to rotate.

I think Stu needs a rest, Fraser is looking a bit jaded and Downes likely to be out.

• Like 1

With Downes possibly out for a while, could we see Bragg coming into contention for selection? I could be wrong but he's perhaps the closest match we've got for Downes in terms of style/type of player...? Yes, he's possibly "too young" and/or "too inexperienced" but I reckon he's looked very composed and not out of place in the cameos he's played this season.  I think Russ rates him very highly too. Probably Charles to start and Bragg on the bench for this game? Prefer either of those two in the holding midfield role over Smallbone, who I think is much better suited to a slightly more advanced midfield position.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think this is the game where lose the run. We struggled against them at home, but for the KWP worldie we probably wouldn't have won.

Isn't every game going to be 'the one where our run ends'?

Have faith... this team have faith in themselves.

• Like 1

I reckon 4 points from the Brizzle and West Brom games would represent a decent return. Leeds upcoming fixtures are Swansea and Plymouth away followed by Leicester at home so I'd expect them to drop points out of those matches - can see them drawing with Plymouth and Leicester.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, trousers said:

After yesterday, I'm more convinced than ever that we'll go through the rest of the season unbeaten.

(There, that's put the kybosh on it... Lump your life savings on a Bristol City win...!)

Was it the first half shambles that convinced you? 🙂

Tough place to go to, but so was Coventry, Hull, Norwich, Watford etc. 

Leeds 'only' won 1-0 at their place a week or so back, but by all accounts they absolutely destroyed them and just lacked a clinical edge to put away their chances.

Edited by S-Clarke

26 minutes ago, saintant said:

I reckon 4 points from the Brizzle and West Brom games would represent a decent return. Leeds upcoming fixtures are Swansea and Plymouth away followed by Leicester at home so I'd expect them to drop points out of those matches - can see them drawing with Plymouth and Leicester.

They just beat Plymouth in the Cup

Just now, S-Clarke said:

In Extra Time though, in a league game that would have finished 1-1.

in a league game, the 2 starting line ups would be very different.

Plymouth are pretty good at home...so could interesting

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

in a league game, the 2 starting line ups would be very different.

Plymouth are pretty good at home...so could interesting

Also, not seen anyone mention this...in a couple of weeks the Friday night game is Leicester v Leeds.

'If' we can keep it up until the Millwall game in a few weeks, we could potentially go into that Saturday game either closing the gap on Leicester or pulling even further away from Leeds. This is a huge defining month imo.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Also, not seen anyone mention this...in a couple of weeks the Friday night game is Leicester v Leeds.

'If' we can keep it up until the Millwall game in a few weeks, we could potentially go into that Saturday game either closing the gap on Leicester or pulling even further away from Leeds. This is a huge defining month imo.

I'd rather we pulled away from both Leeds and Ipswich. Time to forget about catching Leicester.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I'd rather we pulled away from both Leeds and Ipswich. Time to forget about catching Leicester.

Could be saying different come that game though. If we win our game in hand (which is the tuesday before they play Leeds) we're 7 points behind them, if Leeds do them on that Friday night and we beat Millwall we're just 4 points behind them - and we have to play them. Not giving up just yet, but this month will confirm it all I think.

Edited by S-Clarke

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Could be saying different come that game though. If we win our game in hand we're 7 points behind them, if Leeds do them on that Friday night and we beat Millwall we're just 4 points behind them - and we have to play them. Not giving up just yet, but this month will confirm it all I think.

I'd much rather Leicester beat Leeds though. Just want that bit of insurance and daylight between them and us. We absolutely do not want a straight shoot out with them on the last day.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Could be saying different come that game though. If we win our game in hand (which is the tuesday before they play Leeds) we're 7 points behind them, if Leeds do them on that Friday night and we beat Millwall we're just 4 points behind them - and we have to play them. Not giving up just yet, but this month will confirm it all I think.

There's nothing really to be gained (other than pride) by catching Leicester and absolutely everything to be gained by putting daylight between us and Leeds. I'll be 100% rooting for the Foxes when they go head to head.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I'd much rather Leicester beat Leeds though. Just want that bit of insurance and daylight between them and us. We absolutely do not want a straight shoot out with them on the last day.

This, undoubtedly.

Nobody is catching Leicester. The best we can hope for is that they take points off our more direct rivals.

9 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Well the gap is currently 11 points. If we win our game in hand and beat them at their place that suddenly becomes 5 points. Agree they'll be very hard to catch but not impossible. Plenty of twists and turns to come yet.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Think the difference if we win our game in hand will be 8 rather than 7.

Just now, saintant said:

Well the gap is currently 11 points. If we win our game in hand and beat them at their place that suddenly becomes 5 points. Agree they'll be very hard to catch but not impossible. Plenty of twists and turns to come yet.

We are not catching Leicester. There is enough dross in this league to win the league comfortably. 

No one really thinks WBA are going to catch us, or make us sweat, like we are not going to catch Leicester

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coalman said:

What I'd like to see:

Bazunu, KWP, THB, Bednarek, Meghoma, Charles, Downes, Rothwell, Brooks, Mara, Edozie

What I expect to see:

Bazunu, KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning, Stu, Smallbone, Rothwell, Brooks, AdamA, Fraser

Strong squad either way with a string bench behind it. Lot of games coming up in not much time so we're going to need to rotate.

I think Stu needs a rest, Fraser is looking a bit jaded and Downes likely to be out.

Yes, Mara in for Che. Mara is getting better each game.

Stu was off the pace yesterday and looked like his was nursing an injury/strain before going off so needs a rest. Not convinced Meghoma deserves a start even though Manning was probably our worse player yesterday. Don't think Charles is the quickest so need someone in midfield to counterbalance that.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Please please please can people stop twatting on about us catching Leicester. 25 unbeaten and still 11 points behind.

Leicester to smash Leeds when they play them all day long. I hope Leicester win ten nil.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

No AA - phew!

I figure RM will make a few changes as we have two tough games in a few days of each other. I hope this does not disrupt the flow of the passing and moving system. I would take a draw from this one, though that said, they are not great at home. It really does rest on RM to get the mix/balance right with the changes he makes. For me...

Baz

KWP Jan THB Manning Rothwell Smallbone Brooks Fraser AA Mara

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Please please please can people stop twatting on about us catching Leicester. 25 unbeaten and still 11 points behind.

Leicester to smash Leeds when they play them all day long. I hope Leicester win ten nil.

I think people may stop twatting on about it at the end of this month. Look at it this way, we win two games, Leicester lose 1, and we are 5 points behind them and have to play them. If that scenario has played out at the end of the month then it's game on as far as I'm concentred - if that hasn't gone the right way by the end of this month and we're not within 5 points of them then yes, it's over.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

I figure RM will make a few changes as we have two tough games in a few days of each other. I hope this does not disrupt the flow of the passing and moving system. I would take a draw from this one, though that said, they are not great at home. It really does rest on RM to get the mix/balance right with the changes he makes. For me...

Baz

KWP Jan THB Manning Rothwell Smallbone Brooks Fraser AA Mara

That’d be incredibly attacking! I’d be shocked if more than 3 of Brooks, Fraser, Arma and Mara start.

Doesn’t seem that Russ trusts Shea Charles but we’re probably going to need him at CM. Neither Rothwell or Smallbone are ideal as the deepest midfielder

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trousers said:

My son has a ticket for this game but can't make it now. So he's selling at face value (£26) or near offer. Must be collected from Basingstoke though. (Note, it's an Under 25 ticket). 

Could collect this evening from Basingstoke if it’s still going? 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Bristol City 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic