Ipswich 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

We were very good when Ipswich sat back and invited us on to them, but as soon as they made a triple sub and took control of the midfield, we totally crumbled and there was only ever going to be one winner from there.

Don't be taken in by the propaganda football we played in the first 60 mins. We looked good, but we still created precious few clear cut chances from it and ultimately didn't deserve to win.

Football is all about what you do in both boxes. We can't defend and we waste far too many chances when we get them. 

Martin is more concerned about how we play rather than just getting the job done.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Just seen in the post match comments that kwp was dropped rather than it being a fitness issue. Absolutely fuck off that's ridiculous. 

Biggest match of the season and you bench your best player. Make it make sense.

• Like 5

Why is that we have a manager that is an ex defender yet we cannot defend for toffee? Ipswich defenders were putting their bodies on the line all game yet ours were stood around picking their noses for their winner! That’s why we’re not going up either automatically or via the play offs because we cannot see games out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Just seen in the post match comments that kwp was dropped rather than it being a fitness issue. Absolutely fuck off that's ridiculous. 

Following Wilcox to Man U at the end of the season?

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It could have only been fitness, surely. Wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

1 minute ago, gammon cheeks said:

Martins teams concede too many goals and while he is in charge that will never change.

That is not an issue if you take your chances, because his teams create more chances than most.  I'll take creating more chances that the opposition in every game, it's just unfortunate that we have a midfield who (Downes aside) don't defend our box well and a keeper who is learning the game, and a strikeforce that snatch at far too many chances.

So conceding many is a symptom not a root cause.  And if anyone thinks being more defensive is the answer here, would you then trust our strikers to take advantage of the one or two chances they get a game for us just to get a draw or snatch a win?  

• Like 2

The justification was that Bree deserved to start. No mention of the bizarro shoehorning of Stephens. The three week break has killed us. Too long for Martin to brush up on now (not) to play like Man City.

Absolutely sick to the back teeth of Martin saying how well we played and how we deserved a victory. My brother in law watched with me tonight and was saying how impressed he was with us at half time. My response was that other than West brom I can't remember the last time we had put a 90 minute performance together and we will see where we are at full time. Lo and behold my prediction was 100% accurate. We were great for a lot of the game and then we let them score and we lose. It's not a coincidence that we have done this for multiple games. It's a mentality thing where we get ahead and the other don't push on to try to kill teams off. It's a mental block that we haven't got over, possibly even from last year. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 7

Sadly the team reeks of the hipster fanny overlord and elegant bearded smooth talking manager at the club.

some stylish elements but not enough fucking substance when required.

No leadership and balls in this team.

i will be absolutely astonished if this lot win the play offs 

• Like 4

Just now, James said:

The justification was that Bree deserved to start. No mention of the bizarro shoehorning of Stephens. The three week break has killed us. Too long for Martin to brush up on now (not) to play like Man City.

Either Martin gets lucky and wins the playoffs or he can fuck off. With the players he has, we are uderperforming. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

That is not an issue if you take your chances, because his teams create more chances than most.  I'll take creating more chances that the opposition in every game, it's just unfortunate that we have a midfield who (Downes aside) don't defend our box well and a keeper who is learning the game, and a strikeforce that snatch at far too many chances.

So conceding many is a symptom not a root cause.  And if anyone thinks being more defensive is the answer here, would you then trust our strikers to take advantage of the one or two chances they get a game for us just to get a draw or snatch a win?  

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say we don't score enough, we've got 76 goals this season (more than Leeds and Leicester). That would be enough if we kept the door a little bit tighter at the other end. 

I think the amount of goals we score is in some ways an advocate of the style, but the goals we let in at the other end kind of cancel that out - so we have to find a bit more balance somewhere. I wouldn't focus on our 'lack of goals' being an issue at all, we score stacks.

Scoring 2 away from home should be enough, scoring 4 at home should be enough. We shouldn't have had to score 5 away at Birmingham etc etc...so for me the prob is clear, it's the goals we let in at the other end.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Play off dates are 12th, 13th then 16th, 17th May. Final is the 26th. Close out your diaries now.

Don't hold your breath. If we keep playing like this we won't even make the play offs. In a way that would be a relief at the end of a season of unfulfilled promise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It could have only been fitness, surely. Wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

With the next game not until Saturday he could have said that if it was the case. But no he’s so fkin desperate to shoehorn Stephens in we now drop our best player of the season.

Unbelievable, he can go now as far as I’m concerned and take his 75% possession football with no end result with him. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Football is all about what you do in both boxes. We can't defend and we waste far too many chances when we get them. 

Martin is more concerned about how we play rather than just getting the job done.

That's 100% correct. Martin would rather lose playing what he considers to be a pure brand of football than win playing a more pragmatic style. He won't even change to a different approach when we are winning and hanging on which is why we concede late on or games end with us foog little to shake things up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Don't hold your breath. If we keep playing like this we won't even make the play offs. In a way that would be a relief at the end of a season of unfulfilled promise.

Really stupid. We are in the playoffs. 

22 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

We were good until about 65-70. Martin just didn't react to the game (as usual) and we fucked it up. It's not good enough.

It was taking Fraser off that started the rot. Ryan said something to the staff as he crossed the touch line, did anyone lip read what he said?

To be honest our recruitment has caused some real issues for RM in that game. You have to say that he got the game plan right because we were firmly in charge for virtually the whole first half and the first 10 mins of the second. He's started the biggest, strongest, most experienced (the closest we have to mentality monsters). But then after 65-75 mins you're going to need to bring on some subs and all we had were the lightweights.

Usually we have Aribo to come on to bring some steel, Brooks to bring some magic, and Rothwell to either be anonymous or pump in a couple of rockets. Edozie can be good against tired legs, but he wasn't right for this game. 

Subs available to bring on:

Brooks - yep worth bringing on. (I would've brought him on with 10 mins to go for Arma)

Rothwell - bit of a Hail Mary but worth bringing on for a tiring Stu around 70-75 mins

KWP - arguably should have replaced Bree 5-10 mins before the red card. 

Who else:

Sulemana - nope

Mara, Edozie, Smallbone, Manning = all too small and delicate to be able to deliver what we needed in that game. KWP and Brooks are also a little soft but their quality would justify bringing them on. Sadly this group aren't at that level. 

Arma can't be the strong physical forward that we needed, so you have to keep Che on, because Mara isn't doing it. 

Sulemana isn't going to be able to deliver the passes we need, Edozie will just stop and then try to beat everyone, and then get shouldered off the ball. So Ryan Fraser has to stay on.

If Stewart had been fit since November I see us at least 7 points better off, maybe more.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Will be really sad if we have to wave goodbye to Stu/Fraser/THB/KWP. Nights like tonight suck.

PS I appreciate Baz has some skills, but it would be really lovely to have a keeper who pulls out a top draw save now and again. I can only remember one memorable save in nearly 2 seasons... 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Martin is a clown and his lasting achievement here will be to have pissed off pretty much every single one of our players to the extent that none of them will want to stay here after the summer. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

13 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Brilliant going forward but as soon as lose ball we look like conceding we are so open.

We certainly do, but to be fair, so did Ipswich. 

We kept up our 2 goals a game scoring record, but yet again it felt like we should have exploited our opportunities (the number of times we got beyond their midfield was ridiculous) and scored a couple more.

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Martin is a clown and his lasting achievement here will be to have pissed off pretty much every single one of our players to the extent that none of them will want to stay here after the summer. 

Kwp won't be here regardless. It's just incredible to me that he would ever be dropped if he is fit to play, such is his superiority over pretty much everyone else in our team.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

With the next game not until Saturday he could have said that if it was the case. But no he’s so fkin desperate to shoehorn Stephens in we now drop our best player of the season.

Unbelievable, he can go now as far as I’m concerned and take his 75% possession football with no end result with him. 

…and Adams, Stevens & Manning!

Just now, Chez said:

We certainly do, but to be fair, so did Ipswich. 

We kept up our 2 goals a game scoring record, but yet again it felt like we should have exploited our opportunities (the number of times we got beyond their midfield was ridiculous) and scored a couple more.

We just never kill teams off. Even during our unbeaten run we failed to kill other teams by getting multiple goals ahead. Imo it's a ha gpver from out mentality of last year. 

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say we don't score enough, we've got 76 goals this season (more than Leeds and Leicester). That would be enough if we kept the door a little bit tighter at the other end. 

I think the amount of goals we score is in some ways an advocate of the style, but the goals we let in at the other end kind of cancel that out - so we have to find a bit more balance somewhere. I wouldn't focus on our 'lack of goals' being an issue at all, we score stacks.

Scoring 2 away from home should be enough, scoring 4 at home should be enough. We shouldn't have had to score 5 away at Birmingham etc etc...so for me the prob is clear, it's the goals we let in at the other end.

This can only be my last post today however whilst I acknowledge what you're saying (and the facts are the facts) I do think we should have scored lots more than 74.  We should be on about 100.  Which would then mean conceding as many as we have is a bi-product of little consequence, rather than the impactful consequence it is right now.  The problem with conceding less is that much of it would mean at a cost of attacking so fluidly.  I'd rather keep the system and have a more seasoned keeper than be more defensive and lose that attacking momentum.  We would have won 3-5 today and everyone would be happy, but the same defensive issues were there but we wouldn't care cause we took enough of our chances to render that a non-issue (well, until next season).  We battered Ipswich and didn't score so they got belief and we crumbled.  It's happened too often this season.  Take the chances and kill the game.

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

Would love to play them in the play off final btw. 

Really? I wouldn’t. They have the kind of shithouse attitude that wins those games. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I’d take a Gary duo of Glitter and Lineker. 

Gary Lineker with Garry Monk & Gary Glitter.. wasn’t that a headline in the Sunday Sport?

Fackin right Geezer.

Dropping KWP and saying nonsense like ‘nobody is guaranteed a place’ about the best defender in the fucking league means Martin has peaked IMO. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

What so we can outplay them and lose in the last minute again? This side is not set up to win one off matches. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

Just now, LGTL said:

Dropping KWP and saying nonsense like ‘nobody is guaranteed a place’ about the best defender in the fucking league means Martin has peaked IMO. 

It's his Welsh twat moment as far as I'm concerned. Imagine dropping kwp at any point this season. Joke. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WGC Saint said:

Why is that we have a manager that is an ex defender yet we cannot defend for toffee?

He spent the best part of his career at Norwich, and they probably conceeded an average of 60 goals per season during that time. His managerial career is mirroring his playing years.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Haha 2

Kwp won't be here regardless. It's just incredible to me that he would ever be dropped if he is fit to play, such is his superiority over pretty much everyone else in our team.

It doesn’t make sense to drop him to play Bree if that’s true because you keep both in like Saturday - keep chopping and changing back four doesn’t help anyone. It can’t help Bazanu either different players in front of him

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Coventry are 14 points behind us. They will not close that gap.

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's his Welsh twat moment as far as I'm concerned. Imagine dropping kwp at any point this season. Joke. 

He was a proper touchy prick in his press conference apparently. Walked out bemoaning negative questions and insists we aren’t out the race for automatics. He’s as deluded as Nath, that’s for sure. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Dunno about peaked. Lost the fucking plot more like.

• Like 4

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Yep. They would do to us what Derby did in 2007. 

Yup. Another game we deserved to win - didn’t provide a consolation when we almost went bust as a result.

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

It doesn’t make sense to drop him to play Bree if that’s true because you keep both in like Saturday - keep chopping and changing back four doesn’t help anyone. It can’t help Bazanu either different players in front of him

Steohens is the issue. If kwp, THB and bednarek play and then we lose a few then fair enough but shoehorning in Stephens has just massively disrupted us and led to so many goals conceded. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, LGTL said:

He was a proper touchy prick in his press conference apparently. Walked out bemoaning negative questions and insists we aren’t out the race for automatics. He’s as deluded as Nath, that’s for sure. 

Not sure I'm a fan of him. He's one of those managers who is nice as pie when things are going well but a right prick when he's fecked up and is called out for it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LGTL said:

If no one is guaranteed a place then I expect to see Lumley in goal on Saturday. (It won't happen)

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, James said:

You think Martin will survive the Prem? 

Don't think he'll survive another season in the  championship if we dont go up. We'll lose our better players next season, he doesn't have a plan B (and plan A doesn't seem good enough for promotion), quality players won't see us as an attractive proposition as they may have done this year. 

SR will keep with him until Christmas when it'll become apparent we are out of it

I'm pretty fearful for next season tbh.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

What so we can outplay them and lose in the last minute again? This side is not set up to win one off matches. 

11 minutes ago, James said:

Really? I wouldn’t. They have the kind of shithouse attitude that wins those games. 

Yeah, why not? Not sure I'd fancy Leicester or Leeds and at least Ipswich are wide open just like us. Longer pitch, more space in behind, more experience in our team, think our best chance is to play that game again and hope we get better in both boxes than go toe to toe with one of the others tbh. They'd obviously fancy playing us too but I'm not sure how many play off finals end up being so chaotic like todays game.

2 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Don't think he'll survive another season in the  championship if we dont go up. We'll lose our better players next season, he doesn't have a plan B (and plan A doesn't seem good enough for promotion), quality players won't see us as an attractive proposition as they may have done this year. 

SR will keep with him until Christmas when it'll become apparent we are out of it

I'm pretty fearful for next season tbh.

Not going to worry about that until we know we are here next year, we probably will be...but let's wait and see after the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

That would mean we won our semi, which would be great...and despite them beating us twice, I would too. The way Hull took us apart worries me. Leicester get it right, and they can murder you on the break, as we found to our cost. The are best team in the league. 

Edited by Chez

Being honest we don't deserve promotion. Bazunu isn't good enough, he makes routine saves but rarely makes any saves beyond that. We've dicked about with a settled defence that wasn't conceding much in an effort to shoehorn in Stephens who should only be playing if another player was injured. We have no effective strikers beyond Adams and if he has an off day we are royally fucked. We have no effective Downes replacement. Each one of these are glaring issues that we haven't addressed and so for that reason we don't deserve promotion Jo matter how much possession we have or how sexy our play is for 60 minutes. We have a losers mentality. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

That would mean we won our semi, which would be great...and despite them beating us twice, I would too. The way Hull took us apart worries me. 

At the moment it would likely be West brom or Norwich in the semis and one of Ipswich, Leeds or Leicester in the final 

• Like 1