Ipswich 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

14 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He made a rod for his own back when he made him captain. We actually got lucky that he got injured and couldn't play for a few months, but now he's fit RM has to find a place for him in the starting 11 somewhere and it has destroyed the consistency we built up in his absence.

You make a good point there. Also being made captain might have some bearing on the slump.

14 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Just got home.

I actually thought we played quite well up until the Bednarek challenge / injury. Which upset our tempo and allowed Ipswich to come back into the game.

Ipswich scored 2 goals against the run of play, the first one it looks like he laces the ball with nothing but power, and actually slices it into the top corner by luck more than judgement, certainly doesn't go the way it would have gone had he hit it cleanly - the power, range, and slice of the shot certainly did for Bazunu. Regardless though, the team did well to rally and played very well.

It is however the same old story, i can imagine that everyone on here was saying we were in trouble going in 2-1 at half time, everyone knew we'd give them a goal, and sure enough, another lax switch off and they take their chance - again, against the run of play, and again well taken.

The ref i thought was a joke. They were going in late and hard numerous times, i don't think it was their throw immediately before the second goal (they scored from that passage), and the red card is a farce - he isn't last man and its barely enough to constitute a foul anyway. Actually thought Bree did well TBH. Gutted if we don't appeal that card.

Ultimate joke is that they scored the winner (not that it matters relative to a draw anyway - neither good enough), in the injury time that only came about because of their fouling of / injury to Bednarek. Also, lets not even talk about the farce that was the scuffed shot acting as an incredible touch for their 3rd... whereas they had players blocking shots inside the 6 yard box without even realising where the ball was or where it was going ffs. Multiple times.

Totally undeserved result all in all.

Encouraging take aways is that we played them off the pitch for 60odd minutes, we rallied very very well after their goal, and we still and enough about us to be threatening with 10men. Going into the playoffs that isn't bad to build on. Will be tough however to maintain their focus now with what are almost dead rubber games over the coming weeks.

But we have to either start taking our chances, or cutting out these moments of suicidal switch offs at the back.

I'm normally critical of Martin, but don't blame him for todays result - we comfortably deserved to win that imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

You make a good point there. Also being made captain might have some bearing on the slump.

He should not have been made captain simple as that. The only qualifying criteria for him being captain was the fact that he became our longest serving player after JWP left. Both choices for captain this season have been shit. I know there isn't anyone that stands out for the job, but neither Stephens or Armstrong are captain material.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

I'm normally critical of Martin, but don't blame him for todays result - we comfortably deserved to win that imo.

We play everyone off the park and don't do as well as we should more often than not. How is this anyone's fault other than Martin's?

Edited by StrangelyBrown
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Hopefully we can get the idea of Autos out of our heads now (it ain't happening) and give some of the younger lads a run out. SAA, Dibling, Meghoma - I can't see us dropping out the play off spots so why not give the youth a bit of a run out?

It was out of my head months ago, we were never going to keep pace with the top 3. We've had one brief spell in the top spots, other than that we've chased coat tails all season.  Our weaknesses have been apparent pretty much all season, lots of possession, not a lot of intent, and when the going gets tough we wilt.  If (a very big if) we get to the playoff final there is no way I want to play Ipswich, if we scored 6 they'd score 7, they are relentless. 

Personally I think we have now consigned ourselves to the championship for many years to come, this season was the best chance of promotion and we (RM) blew it.  That said, surely we are better than Burnley, Luton and Sheffield United right, so we may get a shot next season as well. There'll be lots of changes though and we will probably end up quite a bit weaker than we are now, so it's going to be a tough ride from here on in. 

This seasons highlight is likely to be an historic unbeaten run that got us nowhere and nobody but a Saints nerd is going to remember.  Next seasons highlights is likely to be the return of two derby games with our near neighbours, what could possibly go wrong? 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Micky said:

It was out of my head months ago, we were never going to keep pace with the top 3. We've had one brief spell in the top spots, other than that we've chased coat tails all season.  Our weaknesses have been apparent pretty much all season, lots of possession, not a lot of intent, and when the going gets tough we wilt.  If (a very big if) we get to the playoff final there is no way I want to play Ipswich, if we scored 6 they'd score 7, they are relentless. 

Personally I think we have now consigned ourselves to the championship for many years to come, this season was the best chance of promotion and we (RM) blew it.  That said, surely we are better than Burnley, Luton and Sheffield United right, so we may get a shot next season as well. There'll be lots of changes though and we will probably end up quite a bit weaker than we are now, so it's going to be a tough ride from here on in. 

This seasons highlight is likely to be an historic unbeaten run that got us nowhere and nobody but a Saints nerd is going to remember.  Next seasons highlights is likely to be the return of two derby games with our near neighbours, what could possibly go wrong? 

I do think we will be play off contenders longer term rather like fading away like we did in the 00's after our Derby play off defeat, but you're right otherwise - will replace outgoings like KWP, Downes, THB etc with like for like?

Hell no, I can't see it.

We may get Fraser on a permanent which would be good but we need to use the loan market as well, if not better, than we did this season. We can't rely on permanent signings coming good as long as the current decision makers are in charge (although Wilcox's exit may help). 

1 hour ago, StrangelyBrown said:

We play everyone off the park and don't do as well as we should more often than not. How is this anyone's fault other than Martin's?

Mainly because he's not anywhere near on the park to poke the chances in. Arguably his tactics cost us too many goals but we create far more through them. All we needed was a fit goalscoring striker alongside AA and we'd be fine.

1 hour ago, Micky said:

Not sure next season's Saints are going to be better than next season's Burnley or Luton. 

2 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

Not sure next season's Saints are going to be better than next season's Burnley or Luton. 

Hard to say yet, let's finish this season first and see what pans out. If we do stay down here then the team will be 90% new so it's impossible to say how we'd do at this stage.

I'd expect us to be able to main some competitiveness at the top end should we still be in this league, financially we'll still be able to strong arm most others due to what we'd bring in transfer fee wise and the parachute payments.

I think we've got one more shot at it next season if we fail this year. If we fail next year then it is curtains for god knows how long, maybe decades.

Edited by S-Clarke

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Hard to say yet, let's finish this season first and see what pans out. If we do stay down here then the team will be 90% new so it's impossible to say how we'd do at this stage.

I'd expect us to be able to main some competitiveness at the top end should we still be in this league, financially we'll still be able to strong arm most others due to what we'd bring in transfer fee wise and the parachute payments.

I think we've got one more shot at it next season if we fail this year. If we fail next year then it is curtains for god knows how long, maybe decades.

Alright, I'll say it...just hope we don't end up hanging on to Pompey's coattails...

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Why decades? We get one more shot at it with a massive financial advantage, after that we’re still one of the few clubs down here who can fill a 30,000 seat stadium every week. I’d say we’re more likely to join the Burnley, Norwich, West Brom and co. Merry go round.

There seems to be an inherent lack of killer instinct with saints and I am going back long long before RM took over as manager. There seems to be an inbuilt mechanism to show lots of promise but to inevitably disappoint. It's a bit like supporting England.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Because there is no manager in the world who can mitigate for the marking for all three goals yesterday, or for Che’s finishing against Boro (and countless other teams). If we’re creating all the play and creating plenty of chances, but making mistakes in both boxes, that’s largely on the players IMO.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You just don't understand football....this was a fitness decision

The logic of that reasoning fly's out of the window as he picked Adams again.

You need to have a certain type of arrogance to drop your best player, and Martin certainly does have that.

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It’s only a one game ban. I’m sure we can find somebody to stand in for one game. Stephens maybe?

He's nailed on in the libero side sweeper false 6 role

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Why decades? We get one more shot at it with a massive financial advantage, after that we’re still one of the few clubs down here who can fill a 30,000 seat stadium every week. I’d say we’re more likely to join the Burnley, Norwich, West Brom and co. Merry go round.

To be fair Lighthouse I think we all know we won’t be filling that stadium every week if we don’t go up this season. Once the general apathy sets in especially if we fail in the playoffs it’ll be back to crowds of about 23-25k I reckon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chownie20 said:

True. Back four of Stephens, THB, Bednarek and KWP. Might actually make Martin reinstate our best CB pairing which I think is a big missing piece of consistency. 

Our most consistent back 4 did include Manning most of the time. Careful what you wish for. 

• Like 2

Ipswich picked up 6 points from Blackburn and Saints being very lucky to win either game,we picked up 1 point from Boro and Ipswich playing well for an hour in each game.

Ipswich are hard to beat we are not,we are far too easy to play against and the man in charge is loath to change things,the managers team selections have cost us automatic promotion,with Mckenna as manager with our squad we would be top,no doubt about that.

• Like 3

There was a good post a while back, where someone pointed out the way Manning had played for Swansea. With KWP being the better option, he's had to play a slightly different role.

KWP not starting, could have offered a chance to see Manning play a more forward, inverted role with Bree playing as normal (but hopefully better and not getting sent off). Obviously not an option as Stephens had to be put in somewhere. I know, I know. Not a lot of love to see Manning as a starter. But I thought I'd point it out.

7 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Not likely with Ramsus F*cking Ankersen and the rest of his SR clown show in charge.

I fear by the time Dragan realises they are a bunch of charlatans it'll be too late and we'll have completed our degeneration into another Stoke/Swansea.

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I can't buy that KWP is only on 20k, with Alex McCarthy on 50k. I just can't, makes no sense.

Even with a 50% relegation clause, that would mean in the PL he was one of our poorly paid players which would be nonsense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I can't buy that KWP is only on 20k, with Alex McCarthy on 50k. I just can't, makes no sense.

Even with a 50% relegation clause, that would mean in the PL he was one of our poorly paid players which would be nonsense.

Who knows what contract we signed him on, when he was out on loan, right?

Either way, he will be earning much more come July

Edited by AlexLaw76

37 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Every now and then I get a hint that such internet figures were compiled by a friend of a friend of Donald Trump's accountant. It's not like you can obtain them with a FOI request.

55 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Particularly given the Club paid 12 million pounds for him (a bargain) in 2020.  No way is KWP on 20k pw.

• Like 2

When I think about the deficiencies in the side and the manner in which the team is managed, I wonder how we’ve managed to sustain what is a reasonable season. Objectively much is right, with many games resulting in great wins. The problems must be marginal ones, but what are they?

1. Bazunu. The times when a keeper really sets himself apart are when presented with a need to show something extra…to pull off a really good save…one that you normally wouldn’t expect most keepers to get to. With Bazunu that logic is inverted…he seems to consistently fail to propel himself to positions to get an opportunity to save. In my view his legs are unconditioned…too weak perhaps…just not enough spring to make a difference. Consequently he’s a very average keeper.

2. Inconsistent team selections. The best Managers I’ve witnessed over the years are those who know their best team. Russ seemingly doesn’t, making selections that unbalance the team to shoehorn in favoured players. He will say it’s to keep players happy - I would counter that by saying weak Management. This has a knock-on effect in key positions, but mostly  across the backline where we suffer most (no one can argue this with the goals against this season). And also the in-game awareness - on many occasions he can’t utilise his squad to best effect to see out games or counter tactical changes made by the opposing team.

3. Underperforming players. You can pick out specific players in defence but in my opinion that’s down to poor coaching of a consistent CB pairing for example, rather than the players themselves. The key area of concern for me is Che Adams who has been on average poor, but mostly the disgracefully negligent failure to sign a striker who performs at a consistently high level. Also, I think of Smallbone who lacks the movement and intensity of Downes…again he’s not terrible, but not at the required level to make a difference. I think of Sulemana, Mara and Edozie - they’re probably lovely to watch with their tricks in training, but there’s not enough end product and when the going gets tough they go missing ambling around the field and not closing down quickly.

4. Lack of a midfield enforcer. A player like Romeu who puts his boot in and lets the opposition know they’re in for a fight. Ipswich had several players like this who somehow didn’t get a card - perhaps they did their homework and knew the Ref was soft on hard challenges?

• Like 2

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

When I think about the deficiencies in the side and the manner in which the team is managed, I wonder how we’ve managed to sustain what is a reasonable season. Objectively much is right, with many games resulting in great wins. The problems must be marginal ones, but what are they?

1. Bazunu. The times when a keeper really sets himself apart are when presented with a need to show something extra…to pull off a really good save…one that you normally wouldn’t expect most keepers to get to. With Bazunu that logic is inverted…he seems to consistently fail to propel himself to positions to get an opportunity to save. In my view his legs are unconditioned…too weak perhaps…just not enough spring to make a difference. Consequently he’s a very average keeper.

2. Inconsistent team selections. The best Managers I’ve witnessed over the years are those who know their best team. Russ seemingly doesn’t, making selections that unbalance the team to shoehorn in favoured players. He will say it’s to keep players happy - I would counter that by saying weak Management. This has a knock-on effect in key positions, but mostly  across the backline where we suffer most (no one can argue this with the goals against this season). And also the in-game awareness - on many occasions he can’t utilise his squad to best effect to see out games or counter tactical changes made by the opposing team.

3. Underperforming players. You can pick out specific players in defence but in my opinion that’s down to poor coaching of a consistent CB pairing for example, rather than the players themselves. The key area of concern for me is Che Adams who has been on average poor, but mostly the disgracefully negligent failure to sign a striker who performs at a consistently high level. Also, I think of Smallbone who lacks the movement and intensity of Downes…again he’s not terrible, but not at the required level to make a difference. I think of Sulemana, Mara and Edozie - they’re probably lovely to watch with their tricks in training, but there’s not enough end product and when the going gets tough they go missing ambling around the field and not closing down quickly.

4. Lack of a midfield enforcer. A player like Romeu who puts his boot in and lets the opposition know they’re in for a fight. Ipswich had several players like this who somehow didn’t get a card - perhaps they did their homework and knew the Ref was soft on hard challenges?

The first 2 are the ones for me.

GK - To win promotion via any means you need a GK who will occasionally win you a game on his own, but he's not capable of those point winning saves sadly. Remember Leeds away back in 2011? Kelvin was ridiculously good. As a team we were so, so bad....but we needed him to stand up in goal and he did. This season that sort of performance resulted in a 5-0 at Sunderland. So for me, over the course of an entire season, you see the importance of a keeper who can make saves at crucial moments. If you don't have that then you don't achieve anything.

Inconsistent team selections is the other thing - we pissed around with a settled 11 when we didn't need to, bloated out the squad with Rothwell when we didn't need to, had to find ways to fit Stephens into the team when we didn't need to. That made a huge difference to us and totally derailed us from Feb on wards and I'd say it has ultimately cost us the season. It feels as if Martin had too much choice and it has lead to him going mini-Pep on us and trying to reinvent roles and players. Idiotic.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

Mainly because he's not anywhere near on the park to poke the chances in. Arguably his tactics cost us too many goals but we create far more through them. All we needed was a fit goalscoring striker alongside AA and we'd be fine.

We still concede goals for fun and knowing that we're shit upfront he could change things a bit and make us a bit harder to score against ...

Good managers can get results with what they have and frankly other than a decent striker RM has enough at his disposal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head with 2&3.

Some of the key questions for me are why did RM:

- break up the Bednarek THB partnership when it was working really well?

- bring sule back into the team at the first opportunity when he'd literally offered no real threat at any point this season?

- shoehorn Stephens into the team when we really hadn't missed him?

- repeatedly select Manning when his form had been average at best?

- replace Downes with Smallbone when there were others who could play better in a 6 role?

- drop KWP when he's by far our best player?

The decision making has been baffling at times which is consistent with everything I'd read about Martin before he was appointed. Sadly I think he's nearly good enough to get us out of this league but not quite good enough and blind to some obvious problems.

I see that the RM apologists have been largely quiet for the last week or so - I'd love to know their views?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

There was a good post a while back, where someone pointed out the way Manning had played for Swansea. With KWP being the better option, he's had to play a slightly different role.

KWP not starting, could have offered a chance to see Manning play a more forward, inverted role with Bree playing as normal (but hopefully better and not getting sent off). Obviously not an option as Stephens had to be put in somewhere. I know, I know. Not a lot of love to see Manning as a starter. But I thought I'd point it out.

Interesting point. Not sure we needed more attacking prowess from fullback as we created enough opportunities simply by playing through their midfield. We played two `more defensive' (and taller) fullbacks, which for an away game with a big centre forward kinda makes sense, but we still conceded three. 

It would be very interesting to do a route-cause analysis of all our goals conceded. How many from losing the ball from overplaying, how many from set pieces, how many from being caught on the break, how many from from fullbacks out of position or outnumbered as they have no cover, how many when we have numbers back but don't press the man on the ball... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

Interesting point. Not sure we needed more attacking prowess from fullback as we created enough opportunities simply by playing through their midfield. We played two `more defensive' (and taller) fullbacks, which for an away game with a big centre forward kinda makes sense, but we still conceded three. 

It would be very interesting to do a route-cause analysis of all our goals conceded. How many from losing the ball from overplaying, how many from set pieces, how many from being caught on the break, how many from from fullbacks out of position or outnumbered as they have no cover, how many when we have numbers back but don't press the man on the ball... 

I would say goals two and three come into this category. The second goal AA was always closest to the eventual scorer but for some reason chose to just leave him with all the space in the world in our box. The winning goal we chose not to press the guy on the left who supplied the assist and those in the middle sat too close to our goal marking no one instead of spreading out and giving Ipswich no space and not being close enough to press the scorer who ridiculously had time to take a bad touch, slip over and still jump up and toe poke the ball home. Lessons need to be learned but they never are and probably won't be now.

The first goal was all on Baz.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

....how many from a keeper who has a blind spot on his left?

On 02/04/2024 at 12:48, StrangelyBrown said:

Perhaps the previous recruitment team and DOF also shoulder some of this responsibility for the GK’s signed, and the absence of a decent striker.

7 hours ago, saintant said:

I would say goals two and three come into this category. The second goal AA was always closest to the eventual scorer but for some reason chose to just leave him with all the space in the world in our box. The winning goal we chose not to press the guy on the left who supplied the assist and those in the middle sat too close to our goal marking no one instead of spreading out and giving Ipswich no space and not being close enough to press the scorer who ridiculously had time to take a bad touch, slip over and still jump up and toe poke the ball home. Lessons need to be learned but they never are and probably won't be now.

The first goal was all on Baz.

yeah, I meant all goals this season, not just the Ipswich game. Lack of pressure on the ball is a recurring theme for me. We don't have midfielders on top of opponents nearly enough. They have time to get their heads up and that allows them to create chances and goals. We need players to be busier, work harder and do the unseen dirty stuff far more. Players like Brooks, who is fantastic with the ball just don't do enough without it.

• Like 4