Ipswich 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

That would mean we won our semi, which would be great...and despite them beating us twice, I would too. The way Hull took us apart worries me. 

This is true, there is definitely hurdles to overcome yet before we get to that point.

17 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

What so we can outplay them and lose in the last minute again? This side is not set up to win one off matches. 

I wouldn't worry about that, can you imagine how much he would try and over-think a two-legged game?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Don't think he'll survive another season in the  championship if we dont go up. We'll lose our better players next season, he doesn't have a plan B (and plan A doesn't seem good enough for promotion), quality players won't see us as an attractive proposition as they may have done this year. 

SR will keep with him until Christmas when it'll become apparent we are out of it

I'm pretty fearful for next season tbh.

We saw it at Swansea. Flynn left and they struggled badly afterwards - they were in relegation trouble at one point. To  play a passing game like his you need the best players. Without them and you have get murdered - very much like we did to Swansea this year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Just seen in the post match comments that kwp was dropped rather than it being a fitness issue.

Hahahahahaha

Fucking hell lads giving it all the big un when the squad was announced....I thought you jolly clever fuckers all knew KWP was rested because he wasnt fit enough and anyone who didn't realise this didn't know anything about football?

Your boy dropped our best player, what a fucking spanner x x x

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Just seen in the post match comments that kwp was dropped rather than it being a fitness issue. Absolutely fuck off that's ridiculous. 

Is this actually true? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Hahahahahaha

Fucking hell lads giving it all the big un when the squad was announced....I thought you jolly clever fuckers all knew KWP was rested because he wasnt fit enough and anyone who didn't realise this didn't know anything about football?

Your boy dropped our best player, what a fucking spanner x x x

None of us thought Martin would be stupid enough to choosingly and willingly drop our best player in the biggest game of the season, in fairness. 

Fucking outrageous he did that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Is this actually true? 

Martin on Kyle Walker-Peters’ omission from the starting XI: "James Bree deserved to play. Nobody is guaranteed a start in the team. The guys on the pitch did fantastic."

• Sad 1

Just now, The Kraken said:

Southampton head coach Russell Martin told BBC Radio Solent: 

"Their (winning) goal came out of nothing. It shouldn't go in and Gavin (Bazunu) should do better. He'll know that.

Don’t tell Whitey

• Haha 10

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Don’t tell Whitey

Do you respect anything that Martin says?

All I saw was crap defending all round. That’s symptomatic of a constantly changing defence and there’s only one person to blame for that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Martin on Kyle Walker-Peters’ omission from the starting XI: "James Bree deserved to play. Nobody is guaranteed a start in the team. The guys on the pitch did fantastic."

Amazing. So why didn't he play him on the left and play KWP on the right. Bizarre 

• Like 4

Just now, lambtiss said:

Amazing. So why didn't he play him on the left and play KWP on the right. Bizarre 

Because he has an absolute fascination with playing all three of Stephens, Bednarek and THB and will compromise formations to get it to work.

In fairness it wasn’t the formation that did for us today IMO, just some basic errors and sloppy play.

• Like 3

Was dreading half time really...just always think he's going to over engineer what Ipswich showed is actually quite a simple formula.  Can't imagine what weird and wonderful crap he's going to come up with over a two legged match.

To satisfy the request made earlier...Roy Keane.

6 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Was dreading half time really...just always think he's going to over engineer what Ipswich showed is actually quite a simple formula.  Can't imagine what weird and wonderful crap he's going to come up with over a two legged match.

To satisfy the request made earlier...Roy Keane.

Roy Keane & Rasmus Ankerson - a match made in heaven! 🤣

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Absolutely sick to the back teeth of Martin saying how well we played and how we deserved a victory. My brother in law watched with me tonight and was saying how impressed he was with us at half time. My response was that other than West brom I can't remember the last time we had put a 90 minute performance together and we will see where we are at full time. Lo and behold my prediction was 100% accurate. We were great for a lot of the game and then we let them score and we lose. It's not a coincidence that we have done this for multiple games. It's a mentality thing where we get ahead and the other don't push on to try to kill teams off. It's a mental block that we haven't got over, possibly even from last year. 

Yep, starting to lose count of the games where we were the better team for the majority of the game yet come away with less than 3 points. I was really impressed with our first half performance but there's always that nagging doubt that it's not going to be enough cometh the end of the match.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Because he had to keep Stephens in the team. Haven’t you grasped that bit yet? 

All those clever bastards who insisted KWP not playing was a fitness issue even given the 3 week break we had…..well you’ve had your answer from RM now…..and you’re wrong !

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Because he had to keep Stephens in the team. Haven’t you grasped that bit yet? 

All those clever bastards who insisted KWP not playing was a fitness issue even given the 3 week break we had…..well you’ve had your answer from RM now…..and you’re wrong !

He made a rod for his own back when he made him captain. We actually got lucky that he got injured and couldn't play for a few months, but now he's fit RM has to find a place for him in the starting 11 somewhere and it has destroyed the consistency we built up in his absence.

• Like 5

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

He made a rod for his own back when he made him captain. We actually got lucky that he got injured and couldn't play for a few months, but now he's fit RM has to find a place for him in the starting 11 somewhere and it has destroyed the consistency we built up in his absence.

Or maybe he just dropped the guy who was at fault for the goal on Friday? Maybe the simple explanations are the best. 

• Haha 2

Just got home.

I actually thought we played quite well up until the Bednarek challenge / injury. Which upset our tempo and allowed Ipswich to come back into the game.

Ipswich scored 2 goals against the run of play, the first one it looks like he laces the ball with nothing but power, and actually slices it into the top corner by luck more than judgement, certainly doesn't go the way it would have gone had he hit it cleanly - the power, range, and slice of the shot certainly did for Bazunu. Regardless though, the team did well to rally and played very well.

It is however the same old story, i can imagine that everyone on here was saying we were in trouble going in 2-1 at half time, everyone knew we'd give them a goal, and sure enough, another lax switch off and they take their chance - again, against the run of play, and again well taken.

The ref i thought was a joke. They were going in late and hard numerous times, i don't think it was their throw immediately before the second goal (they scored from that passage), and the red card is a farce - he isn't last man and its barely enough to constitute a foul anyway. Actually thought Bree did well TBH. Gutted if we don't appeal that card.

Ultimate joke is that they scored the winner (not that it matters relative to a draw anyway - neither good enough), in the injury time that only came about because of their fouling of / injury to Bednarek. Also, lets not even talk about the farce that was the scuffed shot acting as an incredible touch for their 3rd... whereas they had players blocking shots inside the 6 yard box without even realising where the ball was or where it was going ffs. Multiple times.

Totally undeserved result all in all.

Encouraging take aways is that we played them off the pitch for 60odd minutes, we rallied very very well after their goal, and we still and enough about us to be threatening with 10men. Going into the playoffs that isn't bad to build on. Will be tough however to maintain their focus now with what are almost dead rubber games over the coming weeks.

But we have to either start taking our chances, or cutting out these moments of suicidal switch offs at the back.

I'm normally critical of Martin, but don't blame him for todays result - we comfortably deserved to win that imo.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

Or maybe he just dropped the guy who was at fault for the goal on Friday? Maybe the simple explanations are the best. 

If RM made his decisions about who plays based on who made an error in the previous match, we'd have a hell of a time patching together a starting 11 every week.

Dropping the best RB in this division (and it's not even close) because of one error he made in a game when he was returning from injury isn't just poor judgement, it's criminal negligence.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If RM made his decisions about who plays based on who made an error in the previous match, we'd have a hell of a time patching together a starting 11 every week.

Dropping the best RB in this division (and it's not even close) because of one error he made in a game when he was returning from injury isn't just poor judgement, it's criminal negligence.

Che Adam’s deserved to be relegated to the U18s after the Boro game… yet here he was

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Maybe it's something else. Maybe it is criminal negligence. Who knows. 

Does any one think we really have the balls to reach the play off final,let alone win it 

How the hell do we expect to win the play offs,we miss chances for fun and concede far too many goals. 

13 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

So why didn't he drop Adams who cost us the win?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So why didn't he drop Adams who cost us the win?

I don’t rate Adams but he is our only forward who can really play the role through the middle.

I get that KWP is our best player but I think he hasn’t been great his last 2/3 games.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Currently 11 points from 3rd fucking place

😂

It's OK someone will be along in a minute explaining that we win all our remaining games especially the games in hand

1 minute ago, maysie said:

I don’t rate Adams but he is our only forward who can really play the role through the middle.

I get that KWP is our best player but I think he hasn’t been great his last 2/3 games.

Not disagreeing with that, but regarding KWP - players have spells where they are not great, but there is no justifiable reason in the entire world that equates to dropping him. There's just none. Even if he's not quite 100% you play him as he's still the best player, it's ridiculous he gave us this year so if we've not used when he was available then it's an utter joke. We're lucky to have players like him available to us, in form or out of form.

Next season we will not have any one near his level of ability and then it will show up.

• Like 5

For a few seasons now the core issue of Saints is this.... 

We are a team of wet fannies, soon as the opposition applies a bit of aggression and steel we fold like deckchairs on the Titanic.... 

I've said it for years we need some bollocks In this team we had it before right? Romeu..... that's the type of player we need no nonsense straight in and smash....  Also can we sign some players with a bit of aerial presence and height? 

Secondly Martin just is incapable of reacting tactically on the fly to what the opposition is doing. 

You really want us to get promoted ?

With him at the helm in the Premier league we would get utterly massacred on a weekly basis 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's a catch-22 in itself because if we don't go up this season then dress it up all you want consider the squad we have at disposal it would be a colossal failure..... 

Edited by ally_uk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

It's OK someone will be along in a minute explaining that we win all our remaining games especially the games in hand

Russ Martin in his post match interview said if we win all our remaining games we’ll end up on 98 points and no team has ever not got promoted with that total.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Just got home.

I actually thought we played quite well up until the Bednarek challenge / injury. Which upset our tempo and allowed Ipswich to come back into the game.

Ipswich scored 2 goals against the run of play, the first one it looks like he laces the ball with nothing but power, and actually slices it into the top corner by luck more than judgement, certainly doesn't go the way it would have gone had he hit it cleanly - the power, range, and slice of the shot certainly did for Bazunu. Regardless though, the team did well to rally and played very well.

It is however the same old story, i can imagine that everyone on here was saying we were in trouble going in 2-1 at half time, everyone knew we'd give them a goal, and sure enough, another lax switch off and they take their chance - again, against the run of play, and again well taken.

The ref i thought was a joke. They were going in late and hard numerous times, i don't think it was their throw immediately before the second goal (they scored from that passage), and the red card is a farce - he isn't last man and its barely enough to constitute a foul anyway. Actually thought Bree did well TBH. Gutted if we don't appeal that card.

Ultimate joke is that they scored the winner (not that it matters relative to a draw anyway - neither good enough), in the injury time that only came about because of their fouling of / injury to Bednarek. Also, lets not even talk about the farce that was the scuffed shot acting as an incredible touch for their 3rd... whereas they had players blocking shots inside the 6 yard box without even realising where the ball was or where it was going ffs. Multiple times.

Totally undeserved result all in all.

Encouraging take aways is that we played them off the pitch for 60odd minutes, we rallied very very well after their goal, and we still and enough about us to be threatening with 10men. Going into the playoffs that isn't bad to build on. Will be tough however to maintain their focus now with what are almost dead rubber games over the coming weeks.

But we have to either start taking our chances, or cutting out these moments of suicidal switch offs at the back.

I'm normally critical of Martin, but don't blame him for todays result - we comfortably deserved to win that imo.

Agree with much of this summary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Not disagreeing with that, but regarding KWP - players have spells where they are not great, but there is no justifiable reason in the entire world that equates to dropping him. There's just none. Even if he's not quite 100% you play him as he's still the best player, it's ridiculous he gave us this year so if we've not used when he was available then it's an utter joke. We're lucky to have players like him available to us, in form or out of form.

Next season we will not have any one near his level of ability and then it will show up.

I don't think it changes the outcome today but I accept your point. Maybe there has been a falling out or something we don’t know.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Russ Martin in his post match interview said if we win all our remaining games we’ll end up on 98 points and no team has ever not got promoted with that total.

I thought we were supposed to start winning all of our remaining games on Friday, so now it starts on Saturday? Fair enough Martin.

98 points will probably not be enough anyway, top 2 are nailed on for 100+ each. They should just give up thinking auto's, it's all well and good having hope, but at this stage it's utter bonkers to believe it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought we were supposed to start winning all of our remaining games on Friday, so now it starts on Saturday? Fair enough Martin.

98 points will probably not be enough anyway, top 2 are nailed on for 100+ each. They should just give up thinking auto's, it's all well and good having hope, but at this stage it's utter bonkers to believe it.

You need to listen to the interview it’s what he has to say really. He’s not going to say “nah that’s it we might as well give up now”. He’s just saying we’re going to try and win every game.

KWP at 75% is still better than Bree at 100%. That said, the whole team has been unbalanced since Stephens has returned from injury and RM's obsession with shoehorning him in borders on the ridiculous. Start KWP at RB and Bree at LB (where he did a decent job earlier in the season) and if one of them comes off, then give Stephens a run. He needs to play the best XI available, and Stephens simply isn't in it on merit.

Was there anybody watching who, at halftime, wasn't thinking that we were still going to lose? We are so utterly predictable and RM is wholly to blame for this.

• Like 5

I do think people are a tad over reacting on here and I wonder how many actually pay to go to games. As a season ticket holder the last two seasons in the Prem were generally shite football and us not being competitive and crappy VAR.

i’ve enjoyed this season much more, we’ve scored lots of goals and I like the style of football but I get it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I’ve definitely left games more times with a smile on my face than not.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

You don’t honestly believe that ! Come on !

Christ if that was the case the keeper would have been dropped 6 months ago !

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is what Russell Martin says word for word to his coaching team...

But, it's about Jack Stephens.

1 minute ago, maysie said:

I do think people are a tad over reacting on here and I wonder how many actually pay to go to games. As a season ticket holder the last two seasons in the Prem were generally shite football and us not being competitive and crappy VAR.

i’ve enjoyed this season much more, we’ve scored lots of goals and I like the style of football but I get it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I’ve definitely left games more times with a smile on my face than not.

I go to games and I'm a season ticket holder. Obviously the season has been better because we've been winning as was expected, so automatically that's more enjoyable for sure.

It's not been a bad season don't get me wrong, but I do think we have really let ourselves down since mid-feb, up to mid-feb it was great...but the collapse since then has just been shambolic and they deserve pelters for it imo. I sat and watched us lose to Millwall and Hull and I knew after that Millwall game we'd absolutely fucked it. Certainly didn't walk out with a smile on my face then!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Oh, yeah, so you've seen him training them not to mark up? Maybe, again, our CB's are just a bit shit. We know Bednarek is shit, and we know Stephens is shit and everyone was saying earlier in the season about how shit Bree is, and Manning. Maybe we just have shit defenders who don't do as they are told. 

Have to disagree. The evidence is whoever plays we do not mark up that is coaching or instruction, one of the two.

We are definitely conceding far too many goals and have all season that is the glaring difference between us and the other three. 
Every game is a repeat of the last…

I have never thought that we were likely to get automatic promotion I just do not feel the players are good enough

I have seen three top flight promotions not sure that any of todays squad would get into any of those promotion sides

Next 8 games should be treated as preparation for the play-off tournament.

Baz has had his chance but has blown it. Drop him.

Endlessly practice penalties.

Hope that the Loch Ness Drogba comes to the surface and causes some ripples.

And then if that doesn't work prepare for another season in the Championship with an old rivalry rekindled.

• Like 2