Ipswich 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Tactical changes by Ipswich were the key because Martin has zero tactical know how to change from his only style.

They took control of midfield and he had no clue what to do.

We need a versatile coach to react to what’s going on during the game, he is clearly not capable of it.

Thanks Russell but time to move on at end of season and get a manager in who can make tactical changes when needed and stop us conceding so many goals

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, carljack said:

He was out on his feet so was Stuey, both should have been subbed when Stuey went off,

ah, fair point. I don't know the rules on subs, but can we make a fourth `round' of subs as we had made three `rounds' (4 actual subs) already.

3 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I agree. He’s not a great keeper. Neither he nor any other keeper could have saved this today though.

This is just utter bollocks. You're saying no keeper could POSSIBLY have saved any of those goals? Really?

• Like 4

Sick of being the better team by a mile for 60 minutes. We’re not hitting the autos because we’re not hitting the back of the net during our periods of dominance. 
2nd 3rd goal firmly on piss poor reactions to situations in our box. 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Tanlee said:

Far better team for 80 mins but still concede 3, that about sums us up 

Sickening, but thats what supporting saints is all about. Hopefully this is our lowest point of the season

Fairly typical responses on here, sounds like some didn't watch the game. That was probably the best we have played all season and it was against the team who are top of the league and at their place. Defence was sound and we attacked with pace and incision, the second goal was superb, Bazunu-Armstrong-Armstrong. Then a slightly dubious refereeing decision cost us (the sending off, not the foul). Then sadly Bazunu was easily beaten twice. I'm gutted, but really think we were very good up until that foul after 85. Once they got the 2nd a 3rd was almost inevitable with their momentum. 

Bollocks.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

A goalkeeper that is fucking worse then useless, a defence that can’t defend and a manager that doesn’t know his best 11 and can’t coach a defence. Beyond pathetic, fed up of this fucking season.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, obelisk said:

It looks to me like there's nobody in that team who has any belief in this system. 

when we were passing the ball from inside our own 6 yard box through them and scoring a tremendous goal, I think there might have been one or two that bought into what RM has been selling.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

Fairly typical responses on here, sounds like some didn't watch the game. That was probably the best we have played all season and it was against the team who are top of the league and at their place. Defence was sound and we attacked with pace and incision, the second goal was superb, Bazunu-Armstrong-Armstrong. Then a slightly dubious refereeing decision cost us (the sending off, not the foul). Then sadly Bazunu was easily beaten twice. I'm gutted, but really think we were very good up until that foul after 85. Once they got the 2nd a 3rd was almost inevitable with their momentum. 

Bollocks.

We were good until about 65-70. Martin just didn't react to the game (as usual) and we fucked it up. It's not good enough.

• Like 3

Bollocks.

We lost. Again. There's no points for being better or even best.

• Like 4

Thought we played very well, should have been out of site again. 

AA ball watching for there 2nd , and Bazunu should have rolled it out at the end and let us keep possession or score a 20 pass book at the end. 

Ipswich were very dirty . If they try they try that in the Epl they will have 10 men most games. It is very efficient championship football, but a bit too cynical for me.

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Fair play Ipswich! They kicked us off the park and dived to get Bree sent off. We were by far the better footballing side and I know it counts for nothing. RM needs to coach some defensive stability because yet again we folded like a house of cards.

We might be a better footballing side but we are way too soft. For a few seasons including Ralphs time we rolled over and surrendered points and games just like tonights must win,given they are our promotion rivals or relegation candidates in seasons gone by. What fantasy football us fans think about is were better than what were playing against,we have no coaching to suggest we can beat decent teams(Liverpool f. a cup this season), we trip ourselves up by trying to play cute easy triangle passing and we fuck the simple stuff up like shut up shop concentrate for what remains of the game. Playoffs, what a lottery that is,do we think we will make it through the semis? lot of good eager teams wanting to play in the big league again just like ourselves.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Sickening, but thats what supporting saints is all about. Hopefully this is our lowest point of the season

felt worse on Friday to be honest. Losing to Ipswich, despite being the better side, is not shame. Failing to beat teams like Millwall at home have been much lower points. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

when we were passing the ball from inside our own 6 yard box through them and scoring a tremendous goal, I think there might have been one or two that bought into what RM has been selling.

We lost. Again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdmickey3 said:

Tactical changes by Ipswich were the key because Martin has zero tactical know how to change from his only style.

Nail on head. It's all very well having unwavering belief in your system, but he is incapable of being flexible and changing it up when it's clearly not working.

I like him, and on the occasions this season when it has worked and we have totally dominated teams and won comfortably (Blackburn, Swansea etc..) it looks great. But he's just too one-dimensional, and his stubbornness would see us get ripped to shreds in the PL.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Ok I know now is not the time but imagine.

A clinical centre forward

A class midfielder to complement Downes

A right back called KWP

A goalie who actually can pull off a worldie save

is this a post from 2021?

Remember when Steven Gerrard said "this doesn't slip" and then he slipped over?

Russel Martin says repeatedly "be brave" and then it's the most cowardly manager you'll ever see.

Sometimes your words come back to bite you on the arse.

• Like 1

Bollocks.

Think most appreciate we played well but it’s hardly new that we didn’t put the game to bed when we were all over them and then got sucker punched. Ultimately results are what matter. We won’t care if we play well in the playoffs but get done by a more street wise team. 

our issues have been the same all season. Martin had sort of figured them out during our unbeaten run but he’s now back to overthinking it again.

• Like 3

Just now, VectisSaint said:

Bollocks.

I think it’s you that didnt watch the game pal. Ipswich scored their second about 20 mins before Bree was sent off. 

we were very good until they hit the post I’d say over the 90+ minutes we were the better team and still conceded 3. They won because they have defenders who get blocks in a keeper who makes important saves when it matters all we have is a  have a philosophy. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

We need a versatile coach to react to what’s going on during the game, he is clearly not capable of it.

Thanks Russell but time to move on at end of season and get a manager in who can make tactical changes when needed and stop us conceding so many goals

we also need a versatile squad capable of adapting aswell.................................

• Haha 1

Oh dear. Can't convince myself this isn't gutting even if it probably won't affect our finishing position. Should never have lost. Clearly there's something wrong (much discussed!) to concede so many having had so much of the ball. It's not as if we're bombing forward all the time. 

Tonight in isolation.... not a red, if they hadn't got that lucky block from Arma it's 3-2 to us late on. Ipswich got away with lots of fouls that should have been yellows.

We have to make dominance count. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The ‘seriously weak toe poke’ hit the side netting.

I am not excusing him. It’s just that very, very few keepers would have saved those goals.

He should save the first one - nobody can convince me that wasn't a big error by Baz. Then he should have held on to the ball at the end rather than launch it - I get we needed the win but that was a tad naive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Nail on head. It's all very well having unwavering belief in your system, but he is incapable of being flexible and changing it up when it's clearly not working.

I like him, and on the occasions this season when it has worked and we have totally dominated teams and won comfortably (Blackburn, Swansea etc..) it looks great. But he's just too one-dimensional, and his stubbornness would see us get ripped to shreds in the PL.

But even in that Swansea away game, in which the first half was stupidly dominant, we still let them back in and in the 2nd half hung on a little bit.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

But even in that Swansea away game, in which the first half was stupidly dominant, we still let them back in and in the 2nd half hung on a little bit.

I was talking about the home game that we won 5-0 ;) 

5 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Bollocks.

We played well, I think most people will say that - but we lost, at the end of the day I couldn't give a shit about how well we played...we lost, again. Since February it's not been good enough and we threw our chance in the bin. Nothing to be proud of right now, I just hope we regain some momentum for the playoffs as it all feels a bit stop-start at the moment.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

Any thoughts on why Bednarek wasn't replaced after his injury?                                                                                                                            His mobility was impaired and it all went downhill after leaving him on.

I guess because he’d have to have taken Zinadeen Zidan Stephens out of the libero role and stick him at CB?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Bollocks.

Lots of frustrated Saints fans on here, so you have to expect some venting.

I also thought we played pretty well (very well is spells). On another day we win that game. We went for it. Attacked with purpose. That's what fans have been calling for. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

How do we concede a goal from this? Smallbone, Brooks and Rothwell do literally nothing to back the shot.

IMG-0034.png

It’s unbelievable isn’t it. All of of them has to do is stand in front of the ball, all of them stood off whilst a weak toe poke trickles past them and Bozo in goal 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Totally agree with this. Fresh legs just as Aribo and Armstrong were flagging. Bree was also blowing out of his arse for 10 minutes before his red card. Just a shame we didn't have a quality RB on the bench... 

• Like 1

I thought we played well and were the better side.

The subs again made us weaker but with a decent keeper we win that game. 

Id like to see Lumley given a go for a few games going into the play offs as at the moment it feels like any half decent shot is a goal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

How do we concede a goal from this? Smallbone, Brooks and Rothwell do literally nothing to block the shot.

IMG-0034.png

Shocking that.

I do think Brooks has massively unsettled us as an addition. We've got so much worse since we've had him in the side, which is weird to say as he's a PL player. Only Southampton could have done that to Brooks, we have a knack of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

It’s unbelievable isn’t it. All of of them has to do is stand in front of the ball, all of them stood off whilst a weak toe poke trickles past them and Bozo in goal 

And much the same for their second.

16 minutes ago, Micky said:

Decent first half but never ever really looked like winning the game. Our first thought all the time is to go backwards, backwards, backwards, Ipswich is the complete opposite.   It's not the first time that I've pointed out how good they are, and they proved it again tonight.   They just keep going and never give up, they were never going to lose that game.  One this season is over its time to bin the possession at all costs football and get somebody in who understands that winning is all important, not pretty football which achieves the square root of nothing.  I'm not to disappointed to be honest because I never expected anything from this game, playoffs will be interesting, but playing the way we do is not the way to win those either.  Decent game, shit result, all too familiar this season. 

Ipswich were shite and we outclassed them for most of the game. They kicked lumps out of us for which the ref rightly gave us free kicks and booked some of their players. Their crowd got more and more incensed at the ref and he began to favour them culminating in the red card awarded when their player clearly wasn't getting the ball so threw himself to the ground and rolled over an over. Their continual fouling actually worked in their favour thanks to the weakness of the ref. We were clearly the better side.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

And much the same for their second.

They were both similar goals, low shots which trickled in - no massive pace on them, should have been blocked - but even if they weren't, I'd have expected a GK to have got a touch on them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

This is not a coaching thing - no manager has to tell a professional football player to mark up or not stand off. This is football 101,and points towards the players not being good enough. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Convict Colony said:

As a request when people say martin should be sacked, leave etc can they also name a manager that they would replace him with.

Steve Cooper.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

As a request when people say martin should be sacked, leave etc can they also name a manager that they would replace him with.

Steve Cooper

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Good one, do you think he would come ? i like him, i dont know why but he seems pretty decent.

I'm not sure he could get stewart fit or adams scoring though

He wouldn't need to if Adams goes in the summer.

Posting before reading anyone else's. i am quite calm. After totally dominating a brilliant first half in which the only thing we didn't do was score the third, I asked myself - how do we contrive to lose this game from here? Well we managed it.

Honestly, we played really well, but you just knew the script didn't you?

So that's the excitement of any chance for the automatics gone. For those of you who prefer the Championship, unfortunately I believe, you will get your wish (and for several years to come now) because you just know we're not going to win the playoffs.

For this game, if the result wasn't just so crucial for us, you'd be magnanimous enough to say it was a wonderful game of football that we should have put to bed earlier and didn't. 

Aribo and Stuart Armstrong so much better than Smallbone and Rothwell. Our subs made us weaker, Ipswich's  made them stronger. Thought Brees sending off was harsh - Stephens was covering - and it did kill our chances of a comeback. 

The big difference for me is the goalkeepers. Why do the opposition's goalkeepers seem to make game-winning saves every match against us and our goalkeeper just never does? I thought he had to save that first goal, no matter how well it was hit - a top goalkeeper doesn't let that in. He seems to give up on his dives too. Bazunu's just not that good is he?

We always have that calamity goal to concede in us. We always need at least a two-goal cushion before we can breathe and we never get that.

If we don't get promoted this season...it's like a drinking game...it gets harder every season. I just don't get those who want us to stay in the Championship.

It took us seven years to get back to the Premier League last time...looks like we're heading for history repeating itself.

• Like 6