Ipswich 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

So that’s that then. It’s the hope that kills you. 

If we make it to the play off final, I’d rather play Ipswich out of the top 3. At least our squad will get a proper rest in the lead up.
Give our fringe players a run out against Leeds and Leicester and get the boys 100% for the 3 big games. 
The autos has gone but we still have one more shot at going up. Come on you Saints.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, madge said:

Fucking weak mentally.. all this talk of being brave, we aren’t, we play possession football, that isn’t brave. Barcelona in their pomp or Man City are never referred to as brave. How the fuck have we lost a game to this shite.. honestly Martin needs to take a long hard look at himself. Subs once again killed us.  If the club blame the Wilcox uncertainty too, then that’s a piss take. One thing I’d say is we’ve looked absolutely dogshit since Stephen’s came back into the team.. totally unbalanced the whole squad.  With this squad we’ve massively fecked this up. Never been a fan of Martin. Really hope we change direction next season.

Tactics have to change. 

• Like 2

That result was so typical it’s almost laughable. Pointless blaming Bazunu for the third when their scorer literally had time to fall over and STILL get his shot away whilst our defence just watched.

At the end of the day it’s not tonight that’s cost us automatic promotion, it’s the shit results against the Boro’s and Millwalls, as well as too many draws in our unbeaten run where we believed our hype far too much instead of trying to turn the draws into wins. 

To go that many games unbeaten and essentially be out of the automatic promotion race with 8 games to go is criminal, Russell Martin has failed with one of the best squads in the division.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

How do we concede a goal from this? Smallbone, Brooks and Rothwell do literally nothing to block the shot.

IMG-0034.png

That's amateur Sunday league defending isn't it, actually worse than that. Switched off. 

Just now, Soton7 said:

So that’s that then. It’s the hope that kills you. 

If we make it to the play off final, I’d rather play Ipswich out of the top 3. At least our squad will get a proper rest in the lead up.
Give our fringe players a run out against Leeds and Leicester and get the boys 100% for the 3 big games. 
The autos has gone but we still have one more shot at going up. Come on you Saints.

Someone give russ stewart all the drugs between now and playoffs to get him fit.

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

As a request when people say martin should be sacked, leave etc can they also name a manager that they would replace him with.

I’d take Gary Glitter right now

• Haha 2

Chronic lack of bottle. 
Chronic lack of finishing ability. 
Chronic lack of defensive shape. 

Absolute twats. Sick of us being so much better and bottling it. One point from this weekend is absolutely shambolic given how the games played out 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Good one, do you think he would come ? i like him, i dont know why but he seems pretty decent.

I'm not sure he could get stewart fit or adams scoring though

Not sure Steve Cooper is getting a better offer than us in year two in Championship. Especially now Rob Page is staying at Wales.

Maybe Burnley and/or whoever else goes down this summer. WBA if their new owners want their own man. Maybe Celtic or Rangers. I'd say we are bang on the kind of job for Steve Cooper could conceivably get.

Edited by CB Fry

29 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Agree with you.

It was a very good advert for the Championship.

If Bednerak's header had gone in we would have won and deservedly so.

Not sure what the constant criticism  of Bazunu is all about.

The only thing I think he did wrong was wallop the ball forward in the last minute which went directly to their keeper who then recycled forward.

Just goes to show that direct football beats obsession with possession.

Bazunu often looks like a calamity. As he's playing the football russell wants. Too much playing out from the back and when he does kick it little or no distribution ability.

1 minute ago, 6ft8saint said:

Bazunu often looks like a calamity. As he's playing the football russell wants. Too much playing out from the back and when he does kick it little or no distribution ability.

The thing with Bazunu is if we're talking about metrics and the passing of the ball etc, he's right up there. One of the best.

But if we're talking about shot stopping metrics, which he really should be judged on before anything else, he's at the bottom of the list by a distance.

• Like 3

Playoff first leg is going to be the Monday night, as we’re finishing 4th. Hoping for WBA as the other possibilities are a fucking awful trip for a weeknight. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Just seen the goals conceded, 2/3 GB's left again. i'm convinced he has a problem on that side.

Watch the Newcastle game at home from last season.  I’ve been saying this for ages.

For balance, he’s pretty poor on his right as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Manager absolutely not to blame, got the tactics spot on.

Yeah, a well-deserved 3 points yet again. 😄

Is this an April fool?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

Any thoughts on why Bednarek wasn't replaced after his injury?                                                                                                                            His mobility was impaired and it all went downhill after leaving him on.

Also he now faces a ban for 14th yellow 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

Playoff first leg is going to be the Monday night, as we’re finishing 4th. Hoping for WBA as the other possibilities are a fucking awful trip for a weeknight. 

Norwich or Hull would be a disaster

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Whilst that was totally wank, it makes the rest of the season easier. Focus should be entirely on the playoffs. Get a bit of momentum going and sort the defence. 

At moment I’m concerned we might not even get there! We need at least 4 wins more!

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Spineless players and management, to sit alongside a spineless fanbase. No chance we make it through the playoffs with that combination.

Yep, the 2000 plus who travelled on their bank holiday today need shooting! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

We were brilliant for the majority of that match. Anyone who says otherwise is simply lying or stupid.

Saints lost. Again. Those three goals conceded were definitely a mark of our brilliance.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

At moment I’m concerned we might not even get there! We need at least 4 wins more!

That illogical. It's almost impossible to not make the playoffs. We'd need three more wins even if Norwich miraculously won every game. 

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

We were brilliant for the majority of that match. Anyone who says otherwise is simply lying or stupid.

AGreed - but that's the issue with this Saints side.  They look absolutely brilliant but can't take their chances and then switch off and concede to draw/lose.  Plus once Ipswich got the bit between their teeth Saints folded (they are too weak mentally).

I really don't see how Dibling or SAA are forgotten about: Sulemana and Edozie are dreadful.

Thanks wilcox - you c**t

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I don't disagree, but football matches aren't 60 minutes long and this happens to us way too often

• Like 5

Brilliant going forward but as soon as lose ball we look like conceding we are so open.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, washsaint said:

AGreed - but that's the issue with this Saints side.  They look absolutely brilliant but can't take their chances and then switch off and concede to draw/lose.  Plus once Ipswich got the bit between their teeth Saints folded (they are too weak mentally).

I really don't see how Dibling or SAA are forgotten about: Sulemana and Edozie are dreadful.

Thanks wilcox - you c**t

What's any of that got to do with Willcox out of interest?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

That illogical. It's almost impossible to not make the playoffs. We'd need three more wins even if Norwich miraculously won every game. 

Yeah just me still being pissed off from Saturday:-)

Another season it is in the championship, we probably need a couple TBF to shake off our complete lack of mental resilience. Problem is.the more we are there the poorer we will become kwp will certainly be off and a lot of our driftwood will think they are too good! There's no way our lot have the bottle for a play off final that's for sure! 

Edited by Mr X

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Are you on smack?

We do not need "at least 4 wins more".

Maybe three or four points to make the play offs. And we've got 8 games to get them. So we could not win another game and still qualify.

If you look at recent seasons we may already have enough points today.

We will be in the play offs.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, redandwhitey said:

No one commenting on Smallbone jogging back and not getting in front of the ball ? Just stood and watched 

He comes on. Does a crap free kick in to their penalty area which is so far off, it creates a break. He jogs back on other occasions. Definitely a wasted substitution

• Like 1

I think we have seen some versatility in the season, and certainly in the last couple of games. How effective it was, and our ability to switch it up are problems.

Last time out, we were trying to use Sule to get past their defender and create/ shoot. This time out, we used a more direct, physical approach with Stephens and Aribo.

Last time out, when using Sule didn’t work we struggled to get another option going. Tonight, when Che and Aribo got subbed, we weren’t able to adapt our style.

Martin will look at the possession and control. He’ll look at what we’re creating from that. Often enough, we’ve patiently racked up a number of chances. Sometimes we convert them. Sometimes we don’t. We certainly don’t convert enough of them. Martin will no doubt be looking at the players. But the system, in how the chances are created, plays its part.

It’s a bit like under Ralph, or Jones, or Selles. Lots of narrow defeats and if only moments. They were all convinced that the system was the key, and if only the players would adapt. Even when it was clear that this was as good as the players were going to provide, they all persevered.

Elsewhere, other clubs who didn’t try to revolutionise football, and also with good resources, have managed to leave us behind at the top of the table. Tonight, Ipswich, who aren’t blessed with those resources have also left us behind.

We have worked just as hard as them in other games. We looked by far the better team by half time tonight. But they don’t have to worry about their side falling apart when you take parts of a system out of it. If we repeatedly have the same failings, Martin has to tinker Plan A to see what it takes to get us over the line in games.

It was worrying that we offered little control or purpose with our subs. No real impact or system was imposed on the game. Giving it to Edozie, with the predicable outcomes is not a solution. I’d expect us to have a number of options from our bench. But we just looked more disjointed.

It would be nice to go into the playoffs with a bit of hope that we can actually learn to close out a game.

As for Baz, I pretty much think every shot that goes towards the goal on one side will go in. I’d love to think that it’s because of the way our defence line up, restricting his time and sight. I don’t see many howlers. Just lots of those nearly ones. Just not quite in the right position. Just not down quite fast enough. Just not quite able to reach it.

The strengths he brings like distribution, mobility and awareness as a sweeper-keeper are supposed to offset a lot of that. He had some good passes tonight. But we weren’t playing that short, sharp passing around to get our possession and move teams around. So, he didn’t have as much to bring to the table.

• Like 3

We were very good when Ipswich sat back and invited us on to them, but as soon as they made a triple sub and took control of the midfield, we totally crumbled and there was only ever going to be one winner from there.

Don't be taken in by the propaganda football we played in the first 60 mins. We looked good, but we still created precious few clear cut chances from it and ultimately didn't deserve to win.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

We didn't deserve to lose. Should've finished them off in the second half

Manager absolutely not to blame, got the tactics spot on.

We'll absolutely murder Blackburn.

I agree we didn't deserve to lose based on overall performance, but we did as we can't finish teams off and our defending / keeper isn't good enough. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

As for Baz, I pretty much think every shot that goes towards the goal on one side will go in. I’d love to think that it’s because of the way our defence line up, restricting his time and sight. I don’t see many howlers. Just lots of those nearly ones. Just not quite in the right position. Just not down quite fast enough. Just not quite able to reach it.

The strengths he brings like distribution, mobility and awareness as a sweeper-keeper are supposed to offset a lot of that. He had some good passes tonight. But we weren’t playing that short, sharp passing around to get our possession and move teams around. So, he didn’t have as much to bring to the table.

That's the thing - it's all nearly goals which make you think ''hmm, could he have done better?''  ''should he have saved that?'' - there's more of those ''hmm'' moments than ''What a save!'' moments that's for sure.

If he'd have got to at least one of those goals tonight it would have been a ''what a save moment'', which is kind of what you need your GK to pull out every now and then - but he doesn't seem capable.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

I can only assume the over-reaction in here is due to the disappointment of losing.  We played well, and didn't do enough in both boxes.  Martin can't make players hit the target or do the basics of defending your own goal.  That's down to the quality of player not coaching, the system or anything else.  You can argue perhaps he needs a more defensively minded team at times however I've seen us with the ball when we do that and we really create very little as ball retention and progression suffers.

On the basis many teams only get belief against us because of how wasteful we are in front of goal, I can't help but feel the Ross Stewart signing not working out has been the primary cause of our downfall this season - more than anything else.  There is blame and there are issues elsewhere, but the real lack of a proper striker to take advantage of the chances we create (and we create loads) stresses us everywhere else.  And even if you say you can't foresee an injury, we had a chance to do something in Janaury and failed.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Are you on smack?

We do not need "at least 4 wins more".

Maybe three or four points to make the play offs. And we've got 8 games to get them. So we could not win another game and still qualify.

If you look at recent seasons we may already have enough points today.

We will be in the play offs.

Calm down dear you will have a coronary!

I know I explained it already. I’m going to Cardiff and Leicester we haven’t lost in 7 aways I’ve been to this season 

2 minutes ago, washsaint said:

None but the little s**t has been with us less than a season and already jumped ship.

We should let Wilcox go but only if Man Utd also give us £25M for Ross Stewart