Hatters consider legal action

Wes Tender

Just reported in thr last half hour:-

Luton director Stephen Browne admits the club are prepared to take legal action against the Football League if they fail to dock points from Southampton.

The Saints' future has been thrown into doubt recently as their parent company, Southampton Leisure Holdings, have gone into administration and they have so far avoided a points deduction.

"We don't necessarily know all the ins and outs. It's easy for us to be outraged, but not until we know the facts," Browne told Luton Today.

The Hatters were handed a 20-point penalty for a similar offence last season when their holding company Jayten entered administration and Browne is keen for consistency.

"The Football League have continually spoken about the integrity of the competition, but if there is some way football clubs can rack up debts and put them in the name of a holding company, who is their 100 per cent owner, and enter insolvency, anything can happen to that company with no result to the football club," he added.

"Personally I would be staggered if the Football League turn around and allow this to happen without a deduction."

The problem Luton had with their holding company wasn't that it was in debt, it was that they used it to pay agents, which is strictly against the FA's rules. All fees to agents must go through the football club's accounts. They didn't do that, so got hit with a 10-point penalty from the FA.

The Football League then added 20 points to that deduction because they failed to agree a CVA with its creditors when it exited administration, and because they had been in administration three times. It was the football club which held the debts, not the holding company.

Luton director Stephen Browne admits the club are prepared to take legal action against the Football League if they fail to dock points from Southampton.

The Saints' future has been thrown into doubt recently as their parent company, Southampton Leisure Holdings, have gone into administration and they have so far avoided a points deduction.

"We don't necessarily know all the ins and outs. It's easy for us to be outraged, but not until we know the facts," Browne told Luton Today.

The Hatters were handed a 20-point penalty for a similar offence last season when their holding company Jayten entered administration and Browne is keen for consistency.

"The Football League have continually spoken about the integrity of the competition, but if there is some way football clubs can rack up debts and put them in the name of a holding company, who is their 100 per cent owner, and enter insolvency, anything can happen to that company with no result to the football club," he added.

"Personally I would be staggered if the Football League turn around and allow this to happen without a deduction."

Wes, no surprises there, will all clubs who have been deducted points please from an orderly queue. In the meantime all Football Club Chairman are busily restructuring their clubs and creating Holding Companies with fancy names. The winners it seems will be forensic accountants presumably these are accountants who simply know what they are doing.

The problem Luton had with their holding company wasn't that it was in debt, it was that they used it to pay agents, which is strictly against the FA's rules. All fees to agents must go through the football club's accounts. They didn't do that, so got hit with a 10-point penalty from the FA.

The Football League then added 20 points to that deduction because they failed to agree a CVA with its creditors when it exited administration, and because they had been in administration three times. It was the football club which held the debts, not the holding company.

So they wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on because the two situations are completely different?

So they wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on because the two situations are completely different?

Yes. Luton's "holding company" problem wasn't that it was in debt, it was that their directors stupidly put payments to agents through there, presumably as some sort of cover-up. The thing that they're ****ed off about (and with some degree of sympathy from me) is that club officials pointed out the irregularities to the FA when they found out what the directors had done. The FA would probably never have found them had they not been tipped off, and Luton's "reward" for exposing their former directors? A 10-point penalty, which will almost certainly cost them their place in the Football League.

The directors' penalty? Nothing.

_44155919_roland_bbc203b.jpg

HaHaHa, Trousers. Why the picture of Roland Rat? Is it because he was the only Rat ever to save a sinking ship? And is our dear ole Rupes the one that might have saved this one by jumping ship, but by the device of the administration of the PLC and not the club, left the ship's rudder headed away from the rocks and towards calmer waters?

Yes. Luton's "holding company" problem wasn't that it was in debt, it was that their directors stupidly put payments to agents through there, presumably as some sort of cover-up. The thing that they're ****ed off about (and with some degree of sympathy from me) is that club officials pointed out the irregularities to the FA when they found out what the directors had done. The FA would probably never have found them had they not been tipped off, and Luton's "reward" for exposing their former directors? A 10-point penalty, which will almost certainly cost them their place in the Football League.

This is the real point Steve.

I don't think any sensible fan the length and breadth of the league thinks Luton have been treated fairly.

The league should be pursuing the Directors through the courts not applying a penalty to Nick Owen and the fans!!!!

Their story is a fecking disgrace to football.

It's the same story everywhere. Run the business irresponsibly, pick up your bonuses, by the time anyone finds out you're gone with a 750k annual pension.

Wes, no surprises there, will all clubs who have been deducted points please from an orderly queue. In the meantime all Football Club Chairman are busily restructuring their clubs and creating Holding Companies with fancy names. The winners it seems will be forensic accountants presumably these are accountants who simply know what they are doing.

I'm delighted that stevegrant has proven to my satisfaction for one that Luton's situation is totally different from ours, especially if it was the club with the debt and not the holding company.

It is inherent upon the FA to close this loophole so that no other club can take advantage of it, but as far as I'm aware, there can be no retrospective action taken against those who have exploited a loophole. Undoubtedly Luton's bluster will attempt to apply pressure on the FA to punish us as they were punished, but if Steve is correct, then there is no way that any legal action will prevail. On the other hand, we might well have good grounds for legal as far as I can see if we were to be deducted points.

It's disgraceful really. I'm sorry they lost points, but wanting other clubs to suffer just because they have is pathetic. They don't know our situation yet they're shouting about it already. The Football League should make their decision independently, yet if that were the case, it would be over and we wouldn't be docked points. The only way we can be is if they change the rules, which they usually do.

But clubs like Luton are just so bitter they want to see more casualties. I'm not sure if that's worse than the likes of Barnsley and Forest being so desperate that they're demanding points deductions to secure their own status. Stay up because you gained more points ffs, not because we had a deduction. I wouldn't wish administration on any club, yet it seems many other clubs just don't care anymore.

But didn't we try a half-hearted whimper last season when Sheffield were allegedly fielding an illegal player (something to do with the number of loanees allowed to play in a match)?

Stay up because you gained more points ffs, not because we had a deduction. I

Except if we had made further reductions to our playng staff in order to cut costs further as our financial situation demanded, they would quite possibly have gained more points than us rather easily.

I can see their point, just as I could see why the 10 point deduction was brought in after Leicester mugged everyone else and morally I believe we're due a deduction.

However, if we're legally free of punishment, I'll not lose much sleep. If the league won't punish Billy Davies for being an obnoxious little c*nt or Chris Morgan for assaulting Ian Hume, as they morally ought to, they have no reason to start on us...

The precedent that Luton should look to; and the one that the Football League are very concerned about is Derby County when Burley was manager in 2003. After Derby's 'holding company' entered administration with debts far greater than Saints following relegation, it was found that a number of Directors had acted fraudulently - thus, the 'crime' was far greater than that of Saints and NO points were deducted...

HaHaHa, Trousers. Why the picture of Roland Rat? Is it because he was the only Rat ever to save a sinking ship? And is our dear ole Rupes the one that might have saved this one by jumping ship, but by the device of the administration of the PLC and not the club, left the ship's rudder headed away from the rocks and towards calmer waters?

Not quite as imaginative as that I'm afraid.

Roland Rat = TV-am = Nick Owen = Luton Town

There's got to be an outlet for my never ending talent somewhere....

The precedent that Luton should look to; and the one that the Football League are very concerned about is Derby County when Burley was manager in 2003. After Derby's 'holding company' entered administration with debts far greater than Saints following relegation, it was found that a number of Directors had acted fraudulently - thus, the 'crime' was far greater than that of Saints and NO points were deducted...

Burley strikes again, in fact how many clubs that have gone into administration has he actually been involved with. Anyway stop citing derby, the points deduction was not enforced until the season after.

That's a headline from nothing. Not one quote mentions legal action. Typical lazy journos

"Luton director Stephen Browne admits the club are prepared to take legal action against the Football League if they fail to dock points from Southampton".

Doesn't it? This seems to be a fairly conclusive mention of taking legal action.

"Luton director Stephen Browne admits the club are prepared to take legal action against the Football League if they fail to dock points from Southampton".

Doesn't it? This seems to be a fairly conclusive mention of taking legal action.

Any quote from Luton that mentions legal action?

It's disgraceful really. I'm sorry they lost points, but wanting other clubs to suffer just because they have is pathetic. They don't know our situation yet they're shouting about it already. The Football League should make their decision independently, yet if that were the case, it would be over and we wouldn't be docked points. The only way we can be is if they change the rules, which they usually do.

But clubs like Luton are just so bitter they want to see more casualties. I'm not sure if that's worse than the likes of Barnsley and Forest being so desperate that they're demanding points deductions to secure their own status. Stay up because you gained more points ffs, not because we had a deduction. I wouldn't wish administration on any club, yet it seems many other clubs just don't care anymore.

I would be embarrassed if my club were down but then stayed up because another club got docked points like we might.

Luton won't be sueing the league, they have accepted the FIFA/FA/League rules that they are not allowed to sue. They can only use the prescribed rules of appeal.

That is why SLH a public company had to be seperate from the football club company as it could sue the pants off anybody but the club can only appeal.

Again, the club are not in administration, Luton FC were.

Am I being thick here, or something?

A Luton director says the club......

Was this Luton director talking about his golf club or Stringfellows or anybody else?

You clearly are I'm afraid, Wes. ;)

Headline - "Luton director Stephen Browne admits the club are prepared to take legal action against the Football League if they fail to dock points from Southampton".

Actual quotes that mention legal action - 0.

Kinder people than I would call it "journalistic licence". I call it bullsh1t.

He says, while being outraged without knowing all (or indeed any) of the facts...

Yes, it's funny how he wants to take legal action about something he doesn't know the ins and outs about and is clueless of the facts. I felt sorry for Luton when they got that massive points deduction. I don't now, hope they enjoy life in the conference.

You clearly are I'm afraid, Wes. ;)

Headline - "Luton director Stephen Browne admits the club are prepared to take legal action against the Football League if they fail to dock points from Southampton".

Actual quotes that mention legal action - 0.

Kinder people than I would call it "journalistic licence". I call it bullsh1t.

Wes - I think you and I must wear the same glasses. The sort that help us read sentences and understand them.

A holding company won't make a blind bit of difference, it has to be a quoted public company.

Well said.

I've never liked Luton much since they had a plastc pitch and banned away fans in the 80's.

Burley strikes again, in fact how many clubs that have gone into administration has he actually been involved with. Anyway stop citing derby, the points deduction was not enforced until the season after.

That's exactly what worries me.

Where's the quote from LTFC then?

From the OP:

Luton director Stephen Browne admits the club are prepared to take legal action against the Football League if they fail to dock points from Southampton

I suppose, with hindsight, the salient point is that it is not a quote but reportage?

The Luton Director was on Talksport. He said that he doesn't want Saints to be deducted the points (after all us getting point deducted has no direct effect on them), but if the Football League didn't then they would be talking up the issue with the Football League because, as far as Luton Town is concerned, there are similarities between the manners in which administration was under taken.

As far as I could make out the, best situation for LTFC would be for us to avoid a points deduction so they could try to get some/all of there points back.

The Luton Director was on Talksport. He said that he doesn't want Saints to be deducted the points (after all us getting point deducted has no direct effect on them), but if the Football League didn't then they would be talking up the issue with the Football League because, as far as Luton Town is concerned, there are similarities between the manners in which administration was under taken.

As far as I could make out the, best situation for LTFC would be for us to avoid a points deduction so they could try to get some/all of there points back.

That would make sense. It still wouldn't be much help to them though at the moment. A couple of good results could make it interesting though

He's barking up the wrong tree, LT was/is not a plc. The same rules don't apply and SFC is solvent and not in administration. I think it's a case of ' Don't confuse me with the facts'

Wes - I think you and I must wear the same glasses. The sort that help us read sentences and understand them.

No, the point is that the only mention of legal action in the story comes from the journo. The actual words spoken by the Luton Town Director never mention legal action, or even hint at it.

Its like a tabloid leading with "Gerrard blasts Benitez tactics against Chelsea" when the only quote from Gerrard in the story is "I think the manager might change a few things now if we were playing the game again"

They've made up a lot worse from more innocuous quotes

all of you need to stop sweating,the league havnt got a leg to stand on,if they had then they would have already given us the 10 point deduction and as for luton then i laugh at their blustering.........they are just bitter that they didnt find the loophole,i hate to say it but honesty = zilch.