Pulis has signed!!

Clunge

You are all wrong because the OS says he is a 'star'. Hmmm. Can only think he is a makeweight in the Davies deal and we didn't quite get the full dosh announced in the press. Or Davis is joining them.

Seems an odd signing - we're not short of midfielders with Gillett, Schniederlin, Holmes, Lallana, White, Wotton, Thomson and Dyer competing for 5 places. Not to mention James, Surman, Euell and Skacel!

skacel doesn't play for saints ;)

I can see why Poortvliet wanted to sign Pulis. If he's a combatitive type, that gives us another string to the bow when it is required. Plus, I would imagine Poortvliet fancies he can get more out of the lad than people have in the past. Let's face it, he's getting a lot of our present squad. Why should Pulis respond any differently..?

Seems an odd signing - we're not short of midfielders with Gillett, Schniederlin, Holmes, Lallana, White, Wotton, Thomson and Dyer competing for 5 places. Not to mention James, Surman, Euell and Skacel!

Not forget a future star in Gobern and a few other in the reserves,Academy.

but if JP decision we can onlt trust.

I for one will genuinely apologise but do not hold your breath.

I can see why Poortvliet wanted to sign Pulis. If he's a combatitive type, that gives us another string to the bow when it is required. Plus, I would imagine Poortvliet fancies he can get more out of the lad than people have in the past. Let's face it, he's getting a lot of our present squad. Why should Pulis respond any differently..?

Good point. Let's not immediately encourage the muppet element to consider him their new kicking boy a la Jermaine Wright.

FFS the bloke hasnt kicked a ball yet and you are slagging him. How many so called numpties have we signed and then they have turned into crowd favourites. Crouchie was pilloried, Marsden as well, just give him a chance and then if he doesnt do well all well and good.

IMO he hasnt a chance as the fans already have condemned him

Clearly he stands the tough task of winning over some fans, but if the current management think he will add to the squad, then we can only believe them.

I don't rate any player until I've seen them play, and at 24, he's now one of the more experienced players in the squad!

Soon we will pick up a few injuries and suspensions so its good to build up a strong squad.

Lets give the lad a chance before judging him. Its hardly a big outlay and he is on low wages so not really a risk.

Saint Charlie

When the injuries kicked in I had you down to play. Mind you the lad is already injured(quite a few for such a short career) so get your boots ready.

Pay as you play same as Anthony eh! Mr Lowe.

Some say Saint Charlie has a reputation of being combative onthis forum/web

Give the lad a chance he may well turn out to be a good xmas present for someone.

More importantly the challenge is for him to turn into a top Saints player then I will be the first to transplant his picture over the other 3 ( on my Saints calendar) I've already transplanted over on October picture..

FFS the bloke hasnt kicked a ball yet and you are slagging him. How many so called numpties have we signed and then they have turned into crowd favourites. Crouchie was pilloried, Marsden as well, just give him a chance and then if he doesnt do well all well and good.

Crouch had done well at other clubs before signing for us and always looked Premiership class IMO. Marsden was always a very good championship player who clearly had something about him. Pulis has been around for years and has never done anything. I haven't read one positive thing from Stoke fans who have seen him. By all accounts he couldn't even cut it at Torquay or Bristol Rovers when he went on loan to them. A useless skate who wouldn't be playing professional football if it wasn't for his dad.

played agianst him as a youngster and didnt rate him at the time. he is not combative as someone suggested he might be ... but he did leave his foot in on me in a challenge to which i reciporacted and he didnt come back again. Lets hope he has improved since we clashed

only thing that worries me about this signing is who out of our current squad will be off?

BWP is supposed to be a striker as is John, Skacel is my hope as we are doing well without him but it doesnt look like there has been much intrest in him. So who else in our midfield could be off?

Hardly exciting, but neither was Holmes, so I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Holmes has a very good history, see he international career where he captained England. His career just stalled at Derby and now seems to have picked up again.

Pullis on the other had is 24 and has never really had a career just looking at the lack of games he's played at any level.

I, and lots and lots of other people, thought Crouch was a brilliant signing at the time. It was only really a few dinlows who decided he was a "skate" - after all of one season or so at Pompey.

Agree about Marsden - it was at the time an incredibly uninspiring, unambitious signing - he was just a lower league clogger as far as I was concerned. But he did at least have a track record of playing regularly.

24 and not broken through at a club where your dad is the manager is not inspiring.

But I doubt any of us have ever seen him play, so lets see.

Sorry Nick you might be right then again I saw Crouch, Marsden, Pulis,Cassells

Brennan,and many more play before they signed for Saints.

I would sign Crouch again and even Marsden, even now before any of the others. But as a fan that is my opinion and my perogative to give my view as you have done on many players over the years. You say you have not seen Pulis play. If you have you may already have an opinion.

I have several times and I have an opinion and my only hope as an individual with no sway on JP is that the coach can do something with him.

As supporters we all hope that and more importantly for the young lads sake as well as ours.

So please don'T BE CROSS WITH YOUR FELLOW SUPPORTERS, most have no clue about footballers when it comes down to it, although we like to think so.

Keep taking the happy pills he may turn out better than his antecedents shows to date and we will all join you in slating me.

Same as that

Agreed, and we do know that JP and MW saw him play pre-season and their judgement could be more reliable than some of us, despite the fact that we are all qualified football fans. My reservations were based on what Stoke fans were saying on their website but maybe they are only as qualified as the rest of us.

I appreciate the Welsh under-21 is probably a bit less competitive than the England equivalent, but Pulis would not have been picked for being a bad player. A free transfer sounds good business as it doesn't need much of a fee to sell at a profit! Now he's a Saint, the very best of good luck to him.

People need to actually watch him play before making judgement on him.

He's in exactly the same boat as Lee Holmes just a few years earlier. Moving to a good footballing side may help get the best out of him.

Not a glamour signing by any stretch but he's another body in the squad and will hopefully become more usefull as the season progresses and players get suspended, tired or injured.

Again, the first post in this thread shows we still do not understand what is happening with JP.

We do not sign "EXCITING" players. We have already got 9 or 10 EXCITING players of our own who WANT to play football and be with THEIR MATES that they have grown up with while in the academy.

We only have the bare bones of a squad. We NEED to keep bringing in youngsters like Mills OCCASSIONALLY, but at the same time we need to keep as many of our EXCITING players in the team as we can.

What we ARE short of are players who can come in and fill any one of a number of positions, who are happy to maybe get 10 or 12 full games in a year and maybe 5 or 6 trips off the bench. Exciting players want to be out there everyday (look at Lallana vs Brum when JP said he was being rested)

Pulis will not be exciting but he will come in and provide cover, giving TIME for the likes of Gobern, Mills, Racine, Patterson to be introduced carefully and without buring out the other youngsters.

Rather a SQUAD player who WANTS to be here and is NOT expensive than a Euell or a Skacel sulking around because they can't get Holmes/Schneiderlin out of the team and costing us 750k a year that we don't have.

And like others have said. If you are SO sure he will be rubbish for us, can you post tomorrow's winning lottery numbers for the rest of us. We'd appreciate the insight.

thanks

I don't mind this at all. He's signed on a free and most probably knows he'll be here as cover. I think it's clear to see that Poortvliet knows his strongest team and isn't going to tinker with it very much. But say Gillett and Spiderman got injured, who else have we really got apart from Wotton ? It's just a little bit more depth in the squad, without the pressure of having to start him.

Again, the first post in this thread shows we still do not understand what is happening with JP.

We do not sign "EXCITING" players. We have already got 9 or 10 EXCITING players of our own who WANT to play football and be with THEIR MATES that they have grown up with while in the academy.

We only have the bare bones of a squad. We NEED to keep bringing in youngsters like Mills OCCASSIONALLY, but at the same time we need to keep as many of our EXCITING players in the team as we can.

What we ARE short of are players who can come in and fill any one of a number of positions, who are happy to maybe get 10 or 12 full games in a year and maybe 5 or 6 trips off the bench. Exciting players want to be out there everyday (look at Lallana vs Brum when JP said he was being rested)

Pulis will not be exciting but he will come in and provide cover, giving TIME for the likes of Gobern, Mills, Racine, Patterson to be introduced carefully and without buring out the other youngsters.

Rather a SQUAD player who WANTS to be here and is NOT expensive than a Euell or a Skacel sulking around because they can't get Holmes/Schneiderlin out of the team and costing us 750k a year that we don't have.

And like others have said. If you are SO sure he will be rubbish for us, can you post tomorrow's winning lottery numbers for the rest of us. We'd appreciate the insight.

thanks

Excellent post and I wish I had thought of it.

I must admit while I would not slate the guy his record does not inspire a lot of confidence. Your comments are probably spot on though and in that context he could prove to be a decent addition to the squad. Being relatively young his fitness should not be an issue.

I also wonder if always working under his dad may have actually held him back in some ways.

thanks

Well said Phillip.

Cant say this excites me at all.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/?page_id=10514

Well why did you opt for two exclamation marks on the thread title then?!!??!!??!!?!!!

thanks

Just about the only post worth reading on this thread imo. Well said that man.

-------------------------

Welcome aboard Anthony....and the best of luck to ya!

I wouldn't agree with phil to be fair. We were signing squad players for years so nothing too special in that. And really a bit odd to praising a player who wants to park himself on the bench and let everyone else have the fun. And if that was his attitude you'd hardly expect an Exeter fan to be excited about him - cheap (for a footballer) wages or not. Any footballer happy to sit around and do sod all is a waste of space and would be worth spending the money on someone who did care....

Which is why I disagree - maybe he does want to break into the team, maybe he does give a damn and not just be here to make up the numbers. Maybe he does want to play more than 10 full games a year. Phil's comments might just seem a bit on the demeaning side (although well intentioned) as he probably got that from his dad all the time, he should be giving JP earhole a good bending making sure he knows he's there and asking to play.

Hey, wierd and random but it's Friday.

thanks

What he said.

Welcome to Southampton Anthony, you have renounced your evil Skate ways by joining us - I hope you turn out to be the next Lee Holmes (never thought I'd be writing that so I'm going to be more patient this time around).

I just laughed out loud at the first ten or so posts on this thread, hanging the guy before he's even done his boots up. The same people that are praising Jan Poortvliet on his work so far.....well pardon me, but did any of you stop to think that maybe...just maybe, Jan might just have done his homework here. Shame on you.