Anthony Pulis

sidthesquid

genuine question... why did we ever sign him?

It was Lowes policy of building a big squad, with little quality.

so if offered a player on a free, he wasn't going to say no.

I think the kid should just retire tbh, go and find something you're good at and make a career for yourself...

It's fair - when you're 25 and have played 28 games including sub appearances in his whole career then the fact he has a pro contract is not down to his footballing ability. Fair play he's made a decent amount of money but he also deserves the stick that comes his way.

HE'S 25!? i always thought he was still really young! bloody hell Anthony, call it a day mate seriously

Is he actually any better than Ali Dia? At least Ali made an appearance in the English top flight, albeit a brief one. I cannot understand that he actually has 4 u-21 caps for Wales, they must be truly shocking.

In some ways I feel sorry for the lad, he is 25 and really has no career in football, and probably has no other qualifications. Hopefully he can find something else productive to do with his life.

I would have thought that he could find a level at football to suit him. He obviously must have some talent, because you can't fool people forever. So, as people are saying above, perhaps there's a career to be carved out in non-league football. He could play for Eastleigh Spitfires or something. Staying with Saints and NOT playing football is going to do nothing for him, except make him realise that the thing he obviously wants to do is denied him.

I actually feel sorry for the lad.

I would have thought that he could find a level at football to suit him. He obviously must have some talent, because you can't fool people forever. So, as people are saying above, perhaps there's a career to be carved out in non-league football. He could play for Eastleigh Spitfires or something. Staying with Saints and NOT playing football is going to do nothing for him, except make him realise that the thing he obviously wants to do is denied him.

I actually feel sorry for the lad.

I agree with this. When you think that he's coming to the peak of his career and that a quarter of his appearances (in his whole career) so far have come on loan with Lincoln this season and he still wasn't rated much then it really must be time to re-evaluate things. His Dad was no great shakes as a player but he's done OK. Anthony needs to find his level without the baggage that being his father's son brings with it.

The comment about the game passing him by chimes with what I saw on the one occasion I watched Pulis in a reserve match last season. It wasn't so much that he did anything wrong, more that he might as well not have been there at all. He never seemed to be in a position to receive the ball, tackle an opponent, or any other thing he might have been expected to do.

A make-weight in the Andrew Davies deal, presumably paid peanuts (or I'd certainly hope so) and out of contract this summer (I can't see the optional third year happening somehow!).

Wasnt it something to do with the Andrew Davies deal?

Same as Forecast with Bale at Spurs?

Looking at the finances presume Pulis, Molyneux and Forecast are on =/- £3k per week, so 2 seasons x £150k apiece + signing on fees/agents/pensions etc, say £500k + and only Molyneux has played (4 or 5 times?) for the first team.

Great business Rupes!!

If Bournemouth haven't got enough players to fill the subs bench (especially at GCSE time) they could have him.

Thats what neighbours are for.

Yeah then he'd come of the bench during next seasons game at St Marys and put six past us in the most stunning invidual performance from a player ever seen knowing our luck;)

The comment about the game passing him by chimes with what I saw on the one occasion I watched Pulis in a reserve match last season. It wasn't so much that he did anything wrong, more that he might as well not have been there at all. He never seemed to be in a position to receive the ball, tackle an opponent, or any other thing he might have been expected to do.

A make-weight in the Andrew Davies deal, presumably paid peanuts (or I'd certainly hope so) and out of contract this summer (I can't see the optional third year happening somehow!).

Totally agree...have seen him 4 maybe 5 times - talks a good game just a shame he can't play one!

He gets around the pitch ok just doesn't seem to do anything with it when he has the ball. Its either a yard pass nowhere or given away or he just never quite gets there and gives away free kicks.

Looking at the finances presume Pulis, Molyneux and Forecast are on =/- £3k per week, so 2 seasons x £150k apiece + signing on fees/agents/pensions etc, say £500k + and only Molyneux has played (4 or 5 times?) for the first team.

Great business Rupes!!

The only real bit of business we did that season. Davies never played a full league game for Stoke, injured when we sold him for £1.5M and still injured the following season, they still can't get rid of him now. Wages of £10k a week that we had no real hope of getting rid of, until jnr popped his head up. I doubt we could have got far into that season without that deal and I still find it difficult to believe we got rid of him.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16055&highlight=pulis

20-08-2009

It's been hinted at on here that there were certain strings attached to the signings of these two players, or rather that there were alteria motives onvolved. It's even been held up as a contributing factor to us going into administration.

There was even a suggestion of a connection between kim van der waals and pulis senior.

The penny's never dropped for me on this one so anyone able and willing to summarise for me?

Thanks

I think you will find at one stage (before Lowe returned) that Pulis snr was being lined up to become our new manager and I think the Pulis jnr "deal" was agreed around that time and Lowe was duty bound to accept it.

The first half of this is based on fact the second half I am surmising.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16055&highlight=pulis

20-08-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by trousers viewpost.gif

It's been hinted at on here that there were certain strings attached to the signings of these two players, or rather that there were alteria motives onvolved. It's even been held up as a contributing factor to us going into administration.

There was even a suggestion of a connection between kim van der waals and pulis senior.

The penny's never dropped for me on this one so anyone able and willing to summarise for me?

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella viewpost.gif

I think you will find at one stage (before Lowe returned) that Pulis snr was being lined up to become our new manager and I think the Pulis jnr "deal" was agreed around that time and Lowe was duty bound to accept it.

The first half of this is based on fact the second half I am surmising.

His father certainly seemed to love him, that's for sure. Followed him nearly everywhere he went, but never played him for anything serious. Even got a contract extension at Stoke that we took over, even though they could not loan him out for anyone to keep.

The only slight insight I can remember was a comment by Tony Pulis. Asked about the risk of signing an injured Andrew Davies and when he would be available to play, he commented Saints took a similar risk with accepting an injured player from Stoke. Bearing in mind one cost £1.5M and on £10+k a week, the other on a free, that was slightly odd.

I know we have to be careful here but if I recall correctly, was there not serious...errr......'surprise' over the salary and contract length offered to Forecast and Pulis respectively? That was a very strange in terms of transfers.

Well, if I recall it correctly - Forecast was on a 5 year deal because he was such a 'great prospect'. Can't remember about Pulis though.

Edit: Just checked the OS - signed a 2 year contract in August 2008 with an option for a third year

Edited by Gorgiesaint

It was Lowes policy of building a big squad, with little quality.

so if offered a player on a free, he wasn't going to say no.

I think the kid should just retire tbh, go and find something you're good at and make a career for yourself...

If I was him I'd be dragging myself around any club that would have me until my dad's influence completely wore off - where else will he make the kind of money he must be on at Saints in comparison to a 9-5 job ?

Is he actually any better than Ali Dia? At least Ali made an appearance in the English top flight, albeit a brief one. I cannot understand that he actually has 4 u-21 caps for Wales, they must be truly shocking.

If you're a professional footballer under the age of 21 in Wales (or eligible for Wales) it's practically compulsory, especially in the last 4 years when about half the eligible U-21s (eg Hennessey, Bale, Nyatanga, Ramsey) have been in the senior side already.

One of life's great mysteries so far is Lloyd James' failure to win a Wales senior cap, given that he's Welsh, has got a pulse and gets paid to play, but he's still got a load of U-21 caps. Recently they've all been going to Swansea and Cardiff fringe players though.

Actually, on a slightly separate note there was an interesting article in 442 where they did a joint piece with Kasper Schmeichel and Gavin Strachan, both of whom have had to cope with constant references to their old man.

The general consensus tends to be that footballing sons do get treated differently, but often if they're working with their old man they tend to get jumped on quicker than if they were any of the other players (not wishing to show favouritism etc).

With AP I can't believe that TP would genuinely have given him an easy ride - although the appearances/amount of times resigned by his dad don't seem to suggest that he was given much stick either.

A tough one to call all round - to be honest it'd be quite nice for him just to do a piece in the press saying about his ambitions, frustrations etc. The fact that we've heard absolute jack all seems to suggest that he isn't all that bothered, which is a shame especially if he does care.

As many have mentioned, there haven't been many players to get so much stick for never playing!

In some ways I feel sorry for the lad, he is 25 and really has no career in football, and probably has no other qualifications. Hopefully he can find something else productive to do with his life.

I've never seen him play but it is obvious from his record/age that he is never going to make it in full-time pro football. However I find it hard to feel sorry for him. What sort of wage is he on?

From google, The Independent as long ago as 2006 said:

>>>

So it quite lilkey that in 2010 Pulis, signed when we were in the championship and after 4 years' wage inflation, is earning £150k to £200k basic salary for doing sod-all except play a few practice games. Even though he is unlikely to earn any bonuses above the basic wage, this seems a pretty good deal to me, and certainly beats job seekers allowance

Where else would he earn that sort of money? I presume he has no useful qualifications?

So, no I don't feel sorry for him. He's had a lot better deal out of life than many many others.

K.

I've never seen him play but it is obvious from his record/age that he is never going to make it in full-time pro football. However I find it hard to feel sorry for him. What sort of wage is he on?

From google, The Independent as long ago as 2006 said:

>>>

So it quite lilkey that in 2010 Pulis, signed when we were in the championship and after 4 years' wage inflation, is earning £150k to £200k basic salary for doing sod-all except play a few practice games. Even though he is unlikely to earn any bonuses above the basic wage, this seems a pretty good deal to me, and certainly beats job seekers allowance

Where else would he earn that sort of money? I presume he has no useful qualifications?

So, no I don't feel sorry for him. He's had a lot better deal out of life than many many others.

K.

I think you're way overestimating what he's earning there. A bit part player signing for a poor club in the Championship at the start of what has become a recession. First of all you're assuming that there has been inflation for the last 4 years. As well as that, one of the things Rupert always did right was the have relegation wage cuts in player's contracts.

And even then, I can't see that Pulis would have been anywhere close to the average football earner. He was coming in as a squad player in, as I said, a very poor club.

And even still, that sort of money per annum, while a vast amount compared to what most of us earn, isn't going to make him super rich. We can't possibly paint him in the same colours as the modern prem footballer. He's earning this type of money (albeit undeserved because he's alledgedly ****) for a very small period of his life. He's not going to go and retire for good aged 35, he's going to have to get a real job earning whatever money he can get.

The above wages for champ and league 1 footballers are not capable of sustaining someone for life.

One of life's great mysteries so far is Lloyd James' failure to win a Wales senior cap, given that he's Welsh, has got a pulse and gets paid to play, but he's still got a load of U-21 caps. Recently they've all been going to Swansea and Cardiff fringe players though.

Rather than to a fringe player in a club a division lower than Swansea and Cardiff??? Madness!

>>>

Extremely unlikley imho that he is on more than £1k a week, probably les. the numbers you are quoting are averages, there are many players in L1 on higher wages and many on lower. Agreed 52k pa is still a decent wage for doing nothing but its not going to set him up for life, the fella needs to find another job and thats not easy when you have no qualifications in your mid 20s.

Rather than to a fringe player in a club a division lower than Swansea and Cardiff??? Madness!

My point was exactly that - in previous years any only rubbish playing for a top 2 league side would get a cap because the pinnacle of league football in Wales was getting a game for a third tier team, but now there are two squads of CCC standard players in the equation, a lot of whom are welsh and still U-21.

When Lloyd James got his early Wales U-21 caps he was a touted Saints reserve in a side that was where Cardiff and Swansea are now - now he's struggling to get in a side that's a league lower.

In that light, it's not surprising that Poolis got a few U-21 caps when he was at a CCC side (and then a Prem side, FFS) who were doing better than the two welsh Football League clubs.

My point was exactly that - in previous years any only rubbish playing for a top 2 league side would get a cap because the pinnacle of league football in Wales was getting a game for a third tier team, but now there are two squads of CCC standard players in the equation, a lot of whom are welsh and still U-21.

When Lloyd James got his early Wales U-21 caps he was a touted Saints reserve in a side that was where Cardiff and Swansea are now - now he's struggling to get in a side that's a league lower.

In that light, it's not surprising that Poolis got a few U-21 caps when he was at a CCC side (and then a Prem side, FFS) who were doing better than the two welsh Football League clubs.

Ah I see, took you up wrong. Apologies

Great business Rupes!!

They will never, in a million years, be on that much. I don't get where people pluck these figures from.

Pulis will likely be on £900 a week, Molyneux and forecast on a maximum on £1500.

Great business Rupes!!

I would hope that there is absolutely no chance they are on anything like £3k a week each!

Great business Rupes!!

Morgan was bought in the same period and so you are correct, great business Rupes.

Have heard from numerous sources he is infact the worst player at the club and gets ripped in training by everyone.

Do I feel sorry for him?.....quite simply no, he gets paid to play (or not as the case may be) football and lets face it most of you on here, me included would jump at the chance.

Needs to be gone along with the other so called fringe players collected by Lowe.