The January 2013 HCDAJFU thread...

Dibden Purlieu Saint

I don't think we need a keeper. Boruc should come good when he gets fit/sorts his brain out and Gazza seems decent. KD as third choice probably means we have a decent selection. Nigel just needs to decide who his no.1 is and play him consistently, that will make us better.

Rob Green would be a better keeper than what we currently have, that is for sure.

..not another one of those hypotheticals that Turkish hates so much, but the real probelm is not the keeper(s)..... but the defence in front of them.

For me ; ONE MORE keeper (top class form somewhere) .and at least 2 CB's......and bring back Aaron Martin too, before Holloway gets his hands on him.

Martin Olsson from Blackburn, sign him up for £6m now he's fit again and Blackburn aren't destroying the champ.

Dawson for no more than £3m or Toby Alderweireld for that dream £9m signing. No idea who else at CB, just someone seeing as we have 3, all top end of the champ sort of area at the moment (just under 33 and not completely broken or Gallas will do).

Get someone in on the right, Zaha we won't get, everyone will fight over him at Arsenal because he's a. English and b. SHEAR PACE. Just get Tom Ince in when he doesn't sign a new contract in January or Phillips in after he puts in a transfer request.... Or maybe that bloke from Holland we were linked with over the summer that was amazing, sign him up.

Sell Puncheon for nothing as there is no reason to give him another contract at the end of the season. Also no more keepers, 3 new ones this summer is enough! Gazza and Boruc are both better than Kelvin and will do for the rest of the season.

100% this.

I agree. Probably need 2 quality centre backs. Need defenders who throw themselves at everything, like Monk and Williams did for Swansea, and who are confident in what they are doing. Dawson could be that man, plus another.

Obviously a left back who can defend will be nice because Shaw is still young of course.

A Mulumbu type midfielder would be immense. Ran the show for them against us last week. Very underrated player.

Martin Olsson from Blackburn, sign him up for £6m now he's fit again and Blackburn aren't destroying the champ.

Dawson for no more than £3m or Toby Alderweireld for that dream £9m signing. No idea who else at CB, just someone seeing as we have 3, all top end of the champ sort of area at the moment (just under 33 and not completely broken or Gallas will do).

Get someone in on the right, Zaha we won't get, everyone will fight over him at Arsenal because he's a. English and b. SHEAR PACE. Just get Tom Ince in when he doesn't sign a new contract in January or Phillips in after he puts in a transfer request.... Or maybe that bloke from Holland we were linked with over the summer that was amazing, sign him up.

Sell Puncheon for nothing as there is no reason to give him another contract at the end of the season. Also no more keepers, 3 new ones this summer is enough! Gazza and Boruc are both better than Kelvin and will do for the rest of the season.

Where would you play Olsson?

To be fair, Puncheon has been good this season.

I think 2 CB's are crucial. A RM/RW eg Matt Phillips, Lens, Zaha. Also a new LB to compete with Fox and Shaw. Apart from that I think we're ok.

with all due respect buddy i think its time to buy premier league proven players now. although lens does look decent .

id suggest roger johnson matt upson types. we need to take a leaf out of west ham book for the defensive side of the game.add a bit of muscle and experience to aif the flair and finesse and we will be fine. i wouldn't swap gaston or lallana for any 1 from west ham but as a team there just so much harder to beat we need the balance

Where would you play Olsson?

To be fair, Puncheon has been good this season.

Olsson at his natural wingback/left back (I see him as the Swedish Clyne) but he would also be ideal to cover for Lallana as well taking the pressure off his performances/giving him some competition for the left wing spot. Just pray we don't much it up and get the other one, Marcus who's the left winger and no where near as good. Eitherway Martin Olsson would be a dream signing and should be our number one target.

Punch has had some good moments but he's annoyed me one too many times dribbling the ball into nowhere and giving possession away for no reason. His performances have almost lived up to him being a first team player but he shouldn't be given an improved contract, maybe a cheap year extension, but it would just be more sensible to offload him and get someone of real quality in.

Olsson at his natural wingback/left back (I see him as the Swedish Clyne) but he would also be ideal to cover for Lallana as well taking the pressure off his performances/giving him some competition for the left wing spot. Just pray we don't much it up and get the other one, Marcus who's the left winger and no where near as good. Eitherway Martin Olsson would be a dream signing and should be our number one target.

Punch has had some good moments but he's annoyed me one too many times dribbling the ball into nowhere and giving possession away for no reason. His performances have almost lived up to him being a first team player but he shouldn't be given an improved contract, maybe a cheap year extension, but it would just be more sensible to offload him and get someone of real quality in.

I like Martin Olsson, I really do, going forward he is fricking dynamite. However, he is so bad defensively that I'm really not sure the advantage of buying him, and especially spending that much. Peoples main issue with Fox is his defensive work. Olsson's wouldn't really improve this.

I like Martin Olsson, I really do, going forward he is fricking dynamite. However, he is so bad defensively that I'm really not sure the advantage of buying him, and especially spending that much. Peoples main issue with Fox is his defensive work. Olsson's wouldn't really improve this.

From what I'v seen I thought he would be a step up, mostly Fox is let down by a lack of pace and low work rate (opposed to a massive lack of defending ability) when Olsson would be a decent for just wanting to get back into position more (similar to how Clyne plays). Might not be the most solid reasoning for getting Olsson in at LB but ones who are great defensively tend to be a struggle getting forward anyway (which key in the way we want to play) so having one who is just quicker and with a higher work rate would get round the deficiencies in the squad at the moment.

If he doesn't work out he'll command a massive resale value anyway, home grown and quick are always the best way to ensure £6m (for a guy who has either 6 months or 18 months left on his contract) becomes more like £12-£15m for a guy with a 3-4 year contract.

We need a new CB and a new LB, without question. That's probably being worked on as we speak.

We could also do with an upgrade to Puncheon in the RW position, and a ''powerhouse'' type of midfielder. Someone who is strong enough to retain the ball when put under pressure. As good Morgan is technically, he's as light as a feather - same can be said for Davis, Cork and JWP. We don't really have a dominating type of CM.

A lot of the success West Ham have enjoyed is down to the combination in midfield - a ball playing midfielder, and a strong, dominant powerful CM in Diame.

Could do with loaning out JWP for 6 months to a NPC team, in order to open up the space in the squad.

Can't see an awful lot of quality wanting to join in January unless its on loan or on megabucks...
Well it's exactly this really. Unless we go out and spend another £30m I can't see how we're going to get this sort of quality that will come in and hit the ground running the way we need.

Can't see an awful lot of quality wanting to join in January unless its on loan or on megabucks...

Which was the problem last time we were in the Prem. Only those not getting games elsewhere like Quashie, Davenport or Redkanpp or mercenaries like Camara were interested. Brings neither quality nor team spirit. That said, Michael Dawson could buck that trend & Frimpong could be a rough diamond.

We will struggle massively to get any decent players in the Jan window. It should have been done in the Summer but Cortese seemed desperate to get Ramirez and ignored the defence completely which made Adkins panic and buy Yoshida.

I suppose you can provide evidence of this ? As its obvious that every club works one transfer at a time

Two CB's seems the obvious starting place but I hope we just buy one really good one (although that is going to be difficult, especially if we are still bottom 3!!) as one of the others may be good enough alongside someone miles better. Scott Dann may still be worth a punt but Dawson would be great if no more than 4-5 million, no way is he worth 9 as quoted in the summer.

The trouble is though that lots of teams need CB's so prices will go up and auctions will happen.

We also need a LB and as someone else mentioned get rid of Fox!! If no LB is available it may pay to get another RB in (if Richardson is not fit) and play Clyne there when Shaw needs leaving out/resting given his age.

Finally we need a proper decent defensive centre midfielder - someone who can protect the CB's better than we currently do.

If we spend 8-12 million on that little lot it may well seem like we have spent 40-45 million to stay up but it does mean far less would need to be spent next summer, arguably "only" one or two fairly decent additions.

Cortese has to balance going down spending nowt and losing the big increase in money next year with spending a reasonable amount and "hopefully" staying up or going down with a very good squad to get up again straight away....

2 centre halfs, 1 left back minimum IMHO. Dont think we will get them, but you never know. We would then have quite a big squad so we should thin it out. Guly, Butterfield, Hammond, Seabourne, Barnard & DeRidder to leave.

We then take another look in the summer depending on what division we are in..............

Dawson & Douglas the centre backs, but am really struggling to think of a left back................

Absolute priority in January is sorting out the defence - nothing else matters as we have enough in midfielder to limp through to the summer. 2 CB's and a LB are what's needed, however I reckon we'll not see a LB due to Shaw coming through and I suspect only 1 CB will be on the shopping list. Although we don't need a midfielder or a striker, I suspect we'll buy one or other because someone can't resist the temptation - just hope it doesn't get in the way of sorting out the defence.