Martin Odegaard

Shanghai Saint

So if I read the report correctly he has been advised to avoid the Premier League for the good of his career, and has been advised that Southampton may be the best destination to deliver his undoubted potential. So he either has multiple advisors giving him conflicting advice or Saints are planning to switch to the Bundesliga or La Liga or Serie A next season.

So, if he did come here, what would we gain from it? We'd train him up until he sees fit to move on to bigger teams, where he obviously thinks he will end up, and given the raves about him, no doubt he will.
What would we gain from it?

a) A year or two of a quality player, some goals and a tidy profit.

or

b) we could have none of that.

Which would you prefer?

So, if he did come here, what would we gain from it? We'd train him up until he sees fit to move on to bigger teams, where he obviously thinks he will end up, and given the raves about him, no doubt he will.

We'd gain his use in games until he leaves and potentially a huge transfer fee and future fees that can be used to improve the club/squad.

We'd gain his use in games until he leaves and potentially a huge transfer fee and future fees that can be used to improve the club/squad.

Or our improvement continues and he stays to play for us in Europe for a while.

Or he turns out to be overrated and we waste time and money on him.

Sorry lads, I'm general I'm very optimistic when it comes to southamtpon, but every club in the world are looking at him. I'm afraid it probably wont happen.

Or our improvement continues and he stays to play for us in Europe for a while.

Or he turns out to be overrated and we waste time and money on him.

Yes,could be the Norwegian Dale Jennings.

He's a midfielder, right? We already have one of the best midfield set-ups in the PL, with Reed and JWP on the fringes. Would Odegaard really have that much more of a chance to break through at Southampton? Possibly if we lose Morgan in the summer the competition will open up, but as long Morgan and Wanyama are fit, that's basically two places taken care of.

He's a midfielder, right? We already have one of the best midfield set-ups in the PL, with Reed and JWP on the fringes. Would Odegaard really have that much more of a chance to break through at Southampton? Possibly if we lose Morgan in the summer the competition will open up, but as long Morgan and Wanyama are fit, that's basically two places taken care of.

Morgan will be gone this summer and victor has said he wants regular CL in the next two years so he'll be gone soon. Mind you this kid would have to be freaking awesome to replace either of them at 16 years old.

I agree. We should only sign sh it players we know that no other club would ever want to sign.

Sorry lads, I'm general I'm very optimistic when it comes to southamtpon, but every club in the world are looking at him. I'm afraid it probably wont happen.

I would agree with you if the player was older but as he is a youngster I would think Southampton is an ideal club to develop your skills and start to play in the PL.

No he wouldn't, even of he's absolutely brilliant and better than any other midfielder in the world he'd have litttle chance of breaking into our team ahead of the ones you mention.

I agree. We should only sign sh it players we know that no other club would ever want to sign.

That's not what I am saying.

IF we did sign him, we train him up for a couple of years and then what? He hits 18 and he either signs a pro contract, which is good for us, or he doesn't, which is good for someone else. He knows his future is at the top, so we might just be preparing him for someone else with no reward for the effort save for the caché of being more appealing for youngsters than other clubs. Everyone seems to think that we will be making billions out of him, but if he doesn't sign a pro contract, then that won't happen.

IF we did sign him, we train him up for a couple of years and then what? He hits 18 and he either signs a pro contract, which is good for us, or he doesn't, which is good for someone else. He knows his future is at the top, so we might just be preparing him for someone else with no reward for the effort save for the caché of being more appealing for youngsters than other clubs. Everyone seems to think that we will be making billions out of him, but if he doesn't sign a pro contract, then that won't happen.

That reputation of being good for youngsters is what keeps our academy churning out superb talent. Don't knock it because it makes millions for the club and we'd be poor without it.

I doubt he will come here because there is so much interest from the top table, but would love to see him turn out for Saints even if it was just for a couple of seasons.

Do you not think maybe, just maybe our people might have thought about that and put some clause in the deal that is legally binding that he has to commit to a pro contract?

Weren't we also inked with an Italian "wonderkid" a few weeks ago?

Would be a bit of a new variation on our approach to the academy if we are looking to sign up the best youngsters in Europe as well as locally.

That's the strategy that always worked well for me in Football Manager--Brazil too.

Do you not think maybe, just maybe our people might have thought about that and put some clause in the deal that is legally binding that he has to commit to a pro contract?

Could we do that and would that be legally binding ?I thought the whole purpose of only permitting pro contracts at 18 was to protect young players from committing to contracts (unfairly) at a young age. Seems strange that you could then 'contract out' of that.

Could we do that and would that be legally binding ?I thought the whole purpose of only permitting pro contracts at 18 was to protect young players from committing to contracts (unfairly) at a young age. Seems strange that you could then 'contract out' of that.

Well im pretty sure we aren't being run by clowns who will pay whatever it costs to bring him in, spend two years training him up and them lose him for a token development fee as soon as he turns 18. I'm sure there will be a way of protecting our interests too.maybe our football manager experts can advise how they do it.

Of course it's not legally binding.

I've done some snooping around on Norwegian news sources. Chinese whispers predictably.

In short, Oliver Kay (The Times) wrote an article suggesting that a move to the Premier League would be bad for Ødegaard, but said that if he were to move, Southampton would be the best choice. This article was made into new articles in Norway which in turn found their way back to the UK, giving us the distorted story that we are reading.

Sadly Ødegaard was not 'advised' by any of his trusted council, unless he counts Oliver Kay as a good friend.

I tried to research this issue and this is the best I could find in a reasonable amount of time. http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/dec/08/everton-first-contract-ross-barkley

Ross Barkley was permitted to sign a 2 and a half year contract just after turning 17. I don't know if that is the limit or if the contract had to end at the end of the season in which he turned 19.

Assuming I am interpreting this correctly, we would expect Odegaard (or any other hot young prospect) to sign a 2 plus contract as soon as they turned 17. If they were not willing to sign a longer contract at 18 we would then get rid of them in some way.

The other aspect that seems to be somewhat complicated is compensation when coming from elite academies. I have no idea how it works but guess that that is small beer compared to a Shaw like deal. Don't get me wrong, as someone intimated, I am proud of our academy. I see Bale, while cashing in the sell on clause, he more than many others, is still giving us benefit as we, rather than Spurs, get the credit for him. Maybe IF Odegaard did come here, then the real value we would gain might not be with him, but in attracting future talent who hang around longer. Certainly the model that we have where we are happy to bring kids the whole way through seems to be working and long may it carry on.