Design a Saints rebrand - Fan competition

Matthew Le God

In the 1970's the Club had a competition for fans to design a brand new badge, the current badge is the result. As its the 125th year of Saints and a new era of ownership I thought I'd have a go at bring the club back to its 1885 traditions.

Here is my idea. Have a go yourself and post designs in here. We could then have a poll vote thread of the best designs from the thread.

Please don't turn this thread into a discussion about if the club should have a rebrand or not as that has been done before. Just use it to show off your creativity! :)

A combination of old(1885 badge) and current badge

2elggb6.png

Below a reworking of the very first Southampton kit in 1885

mattlegodhome.jpg

An away kit

mattlegodawaycopy.jpg

A third kit

mattlegod3rdcopy.jpg

Have fun designing :)

Edited by Matthew Le God

Nice idea but being an old git with only a basic knowledge of using a computer, dont expect me to be up on graphic design. I have neither the knowledge nor the software to do it.

Oh hang on how about this one

Southampton.png ;)

I like that one, has the River Itchen in it, the New Forest, a football, a halo for Saints AND the flower, amazing stuff, top work!

Nice kits, not sure about the badge though.

Would love to see us with one of the "classic" sponsors from back in the day... "Draper Tools" or "Xerox" would be great... heck, I'd even like to see "Dimplex" on the shirts to remind us of those great 2 seasons in the mid-90's when MLT was banging in wonder goals every week!

I'm not so keen on the kits TBH. I prefer the traditional red / white / black stripes but I'm not clever enough to put it on here.

I do like the badge though. Innocent question - why should we / do we represent the New Forest in our badge? Maybe the tree represents the Common?

I'm not so keen on the kits TBH. I prefer the traditional red / white / black stripes but I'm not clever enough to put it on here.

I do like the badge though. Innocent question - why should we / do we represent the New Forest in our badge? Maybe the tree represents the Common?

It is the New Forest...officially part of 'Greater' Southampton area I guess....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_Football_Club

We use the New Forest because, as Micky C once said (History of the Saints Vid - late 80's) 'The good thing about Saints was that you had people coming to the Dell from all over...Farmers, everyone' ... the 'family' feel was because the fans came from different backgrounds...

The majority of the families who first joined Junior Saints when it started were from the Lymington area...

Haha..you can tell where I'm from can't you?

In the 1970's the Club had a competition for fans to design a brand new badge, the current badge is the result. As its the 125th year of Saints and a new era of ownership I thought I'd have a go at bring the club back to its 1885 traditions.

Here is my attempt. Have a go yourself and post designs in here. We could then have a poll vote thread of the best designs from the thread.

Please don't turn this thread into a discussion about if the club should have a rebrand or not as that has been done before. Just use it to show off your creativity! :)

2elggb6.png

Below a reworking of the very first Southampton kit in 1885

mattlegodhome.jpg

An away kit

mattlegodawaycopy.jpg

A third kit

mattlegod3rdcopy.jpg

I think if you got rid of the scarf, football and halo that badge would be brilliant. love the kit. send it to them!

Here is my attempt. Have a go yourself and post designs in here. We could then have a poll vote thread of the best designs from the thread.

Not trying to be funny, but I frequent the sigames boards too, and so I know that this isn't your attempt, but rather a design done for you by one of the skilled graphics guys over on that board. I realise it might seem trivial, but as someone who does a little bit of (amateur) graphic design myself, I am very aware that it is not cool to pass off someone else's work as your own.

Just sayin'.

Completely my idea as he worked to my specification. So the creative input was mine. Of course credit to Tweej for putting it together, but the idea is mine.

I didn't leave it open for him. I gave a very specific outline of how the badge and kits should look.

p.s. I've now changed the wording to "idea". :)

Edited by Matthew Le God

That tree is to represent the New Forest and is nothing to do with Poopey!

No offence but I think the badge is shocking. Far too much going on in it. If the badge were to be re-designed, I would feel very confident it would be minimalist in its appearance and in my opinion would look much better for it.

Love the red kit. Think that's fab.

Think the badges are, um, less slick.

I think if we do anything on the badge it needs to be just tweaked, bought into the 21st Century. I think Arsenal did there's very well a few years ago. Kept the main thrust of the badge but made it look like a 21st century idea.

I think the current badge is perfectly sound, it says everything about who and what we are and where we are from. The fact that it has not changed for so many years (un like Leeds Utds way of screwing customers in the pocket every 5 minutes) shows how timeless and distinctive it is. Overall if you look at all football badges very few have been changed over the years at they are the rubber stamp of a clubs identity.

I think the current badge is perfectly sound, it says everything about who and what we are and where we are from. The fact that it has not changed for so many years (un like Leeds Utds way of screwing customers in the pocket every 5 minutes) shows how timeless and distinctive it is. Overall if you look at all football badges very few have been changed over the years at they are the rubber stamp of a clubs identity.

I think you'd struggle to find many badges for other clubs that haven't changed over the years!

The current Saints badge has been about for less than one third of our history and has even changed since its conception in the 1970's.

Anyway lets see some other attempts at a new badge posted here :)

Don't like the badge at all, I love our badge but preffered it with the old style ball rather than the black & White one.

Would like a r&w sash kit, but I don't think is gonna happen. The kits are just basic Nike templates - very nice mind, but we won't get anything like that as we have umbro & flybe.

Quite like the shirt designs, but the simple fact is that we have another four years left on the Umbro contract. There is no way they will design a one off shirt for us, we will be stuck with one of their standard template shirts and will be shared with other clubs. Has been already announced that the current shirt will continue for next season due to final year of Flybe sponsorship. We are due for a new second strip, although that will also presumably be a template job. Looking forward to the new regime up and running so that we can get back to thinking of such football matters!

The question of a new badge or not is an interesting one and I guess half would want it and half not. For me the current badge does look dated and looks what it is, something designed by a fan in a competition. However it has served us quite well for many years.

I suspect new owners might like to consign it respectfully to history and design something completely new and in the modern idiom. The present badge is a bit of a mish mash and needs simplifying and enclosed such as Arsenal's new one.

Goodness knows what any new design may be but I would favour a simple figure of a 'Saint' maybe like used to be on the old supporters club badge, or a stick figure type 'Saint' with a football. Skillfully drawn either could be okay and represent a powerful and unmistakable image that we are "The Saints", instead of the present badge with so many parts representing so many different things, which don't really mean much in relation to the football club and is more like a travelogue of southern Hampshire IMO....