Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Congratulations to Pompey as their manager said it was a massive achievement them making the play-offs. He also said that they have to live with the cards they have been dealt this season. Did he not build the squad then?

Perhaps he means the growing division between the HNWs and the Trust...

Oh Pompey's accounts came out and I missed it? :(

I particularly enjoyed this paragraph:

"The profitability of the company is dependent on a number of factors both in and out of the company's

control but the principal factor is the success of the team. The directors continue to seek to increase the

income of the company whilst controlling costs.

The business' cash flow projections show that the company has a reasonable expectation of staying

within its currently available facilities, for at least 12 months from the date of signing of these accounts.

With careful management of the company's existing cash resources the directors are confident that they

have adequate resources to enable the company to continue to operate for the foreseeable future."

For those that don't know this is auditor speak for "we wanted to put in an emphasis paragraph saying we have doubts over the entity's ability to continue as a going concern but the club wouldn't let us so we put this in as a compromise."

Their cash flow is not so healthy and looks entirely unsustainable, they are in deeeep cacky if they don't get promoted.

Edited by farawaysaint

The Sun having a pop at us?

Perhaps they could have used that space to apologise for the horrific and damaging lies they published 27 years ago but still haven't withdrawn.

And why is the nasty FL making poor plucky pompey take part in the play offs?? :o

They've been joint top since August - anyone in those sell out 18,000 crowds will tell you that.

Lol they sell out every week in L2? They didn't even do that when they were cheating in the PL.

For those wondering. They've averaged a respectable 15,242 this season. It's lower than last year so far. But why lie?

In fairness, 15242 was their average last season - they're about 7% up on that at the moment this season.

In other news, the Sun had f*ck all positive to say about a club that refuses to go away and doesn't fit into the medias perception of the Premier League. And also completely missed the irony involved in advertising a seat in an estate agents window.

What a rag that paper truly is.

As for the skates they'd have to pull off a pretty spectacular fail to not get to the playoffs now. Still wouldn't be surprised if they did manage this though.

I reckon they will still see a fall in season tickets even if they get promotion - there's only so much dross a fan can take, even a skate who's been putting up with it for years

Edited by Mr Biscuits

OT I know, but given the criticism of Sheffield Wednesday and it's consultants with respect to safety certification and capacity, I think they might find their arena easier to fill next season.

Or even easier than you may think. A scenario for you to consider:

• Iain and his mob blew all the Tesco money on champagne, concrete and championship standard floodlights.

• As the accounts show, cash flow is precarious and in skate tradition, unsustainable.

• The HNWs wanted to load more cash onto the club, to buy the bestest players, in exchange for equity.

• The trust refused to let their ever dwindling shareholding shrink even further.

• Health and Safety, with renewed vim and vigour following the closure of the tragic Hillsborough disaster, move swiftly to show the government and people that they are on the ball, protecting the public and holding offenders to account.

• The safety certificate is promptly removed from the crumbling wreck.

• The trust are landlocked and forced into a corner, the only way forward is to release more equity to the HNWs, but that would start a crisis amongst the few, as they realised their donation is circling the drain, rapidly.

• The trust holds firm against the bloodthirsty HNWs.

• Fatpipes gets (rightly) condemned and closed.

• Iain pops a few corks and starts blue sky thinking.

How about Moneyfields?

Moneyfieldstrain.jpg

Tbh if they want to get anywhere the trust are doomed to a minority stake, if any, no matter what happens. No one is going to come along and throw money at that lot without some form of stake in return.

They are doomed tbh - they need (dream for) big money investment which won't happen without the trust losing further share. Until that happens they have to live on season ticket money, merchandise, match day revenue and whatever they get off the Football League Which just isn't going to be enough given the money required for fatpipes. They won't get much in player sales given that a good proportion of the squad is on loan and their academy won't be churning out the next Gareth Bale anytime soon.

Given the comments about their accounts I think it's safe now to say that they've bet everything on promotion this season and everything that comes after is on a wing and a prayer. This thread is never going to die

Apparently they own the property and land behind the away stand. This apparently means they can force people out of their homes, flatten the houses and make room for a ground expansion or new stadium.

I'm told this by ones of the bestest who is absolutely certain it's not a Portsmyth.

I'm sure a quick search on Land Registry will quickly clear this one up.

Apparently they own the property and land behind the away stand. This apparently means they can force people out of their homes, flatten the houses and make room for a ground expansion or new stadium.

I'm told this by ones of the bestest who is absolutely certain it's not a Portsmyth.

If that's the Alverstone Road, a quick look at sold prices on Rightmove in PO4 8RP should dispel that one.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I'm sure the community will absolutely love the community owned football club doing that.

Tbh if they want to get anywhere the trust are doomed to a minority stake, if any, no matter what happens. No one is going to come along and throw money at that lot without some form of stake in return.

Given the comments about their accounts I think it's safe now to say that they've bet everything on promotion this season and everything that comes after is on a wing and a prayer. This thread is never going to die

In Cryptic Crossword terms, some form of stake, the answer could be Skate .... should be no problems attracting money with that sort of bait to reel them in ;-)

In other news, the Sun had f*ck all positive to say about a club that refuses to go away and doesn't fit into the medias perception of the Premier League. And also completely missed the irony involved in advertising a seat in an estate agents window.

What a rag that paper truly is.

It was a very strange piece of reporting to go to people with a tangible anti-Saints bias to ask their opinion. Anyone would think their model was to be deliberately antagonistic to drive controversy and gain clicks or something.

I'm not sure how Saints "don't fit the media perception of a Premier League club" though, I'd say outside the top 6 and Leicester we're straight down the middle of what the rest of the Premier League is about.

As for the skates they'd have to pull off a pretty spectacular fail to not get to the playoffs now. Still wouldn't be surprised if they did manage this though.

I reckon they will still see a fall in season tickets even if they get promotion - there's only so much dross a fan can take, even a skate who's been putting up with it for years

They'd literally have to have points deducted to miss out now (not that it hasn't happened before of course), the only way they can miss the playoffs is by getting automatic promotion instead - to do that they'll have to win 2 games more than Accrington or Oxford and one more than both Bristol Rovers and Plymouth. In two games.

And they definitely won't see a fall in STs if they go up, fans are always interested in new opponents. I'm hoping the new teams they play will be Cheltenham and Colchester, as opposed to Sheffield United and Charlton.

They're in the playoffs and most likely they'll lose to Plymouth. I've been saying they'll go up this season for 3 years, but tbh now I'm more interested in them losing without getting to Wembley.

Wasn't there something a while back about the sun not liking us or something?

It certainly seems to me that we don't get spoken of as well as pretty much any other club in the PL

The Sun was one of a pile of outlets which refused to report on Saints or use photos from our matches when Cortese played his ridiculous photography rights card at the start of 2010/11. Remember "South Coast Club?". So apart from it being 5 years ago, and having been fixed just under 5 years ago there's no particular reason to think it's a thing other than paranoia.

I see Paul Jones, their first XI keeper, is out for the rest of the season and the PO games. Anyone seen their back-up keeper play?

According to Cook, the injuries are piling up. Plymouth need to sort their consistency out though (assuming that's who the skates end up with), losing 3-2 at home to relegated D&R doesn't bode well for them. That's more a pro-Devon than anti-Pompey thing as I want Torquay, Exeter and Plymouth to do well.

Be interesting if Bristol or Stanley pip Oxford, Appy for the S-Fs. Bet he'd been keen to win those ties!

I see Paul Jones, their first XI keeper, is out for the rest of the season and the PO games.

They also lose Michael Smith (their current first choice striker) after the Hartlepool game this weekend (93 day 'emergency' loan deal ends)

need a catch up...

Do they keep any loan players for the play offs as well?

( don't know if they actually have any , just assuming they have loads)

Catlin talks about the loan situation towards the beginning of this riveting video:

Based on what he says, I think non-emergency "window to window" loanees are available until the end of the season, of which the play-offs are inclusive. It would appear its only emergency loanees that don't qualify due to the 93 day rule.

I see Paul Jones, their first XI keeper, is out for the rest of the season and the PO games. Anyone seen their back-up keeper play?

According to Cook, the injuries are piling up. Plymouth need to sort their consistency out though (assuming that's who the skates end up with), losing 3-2 at home to relegated D&R doesn't bode well for them. That's more a pro-Devon than anti-Pompey thing as I want Torquay, Exeter and Plymouth to do well.

Be interesting if Bristol or Stanley pip Oxford, Appy for the S-Fs. Bet he'd been keen to win those ties!

TBH their first choice keeper is nothing special.

I'm fairly sure "the injuries are piling up" is Cook-speak for 1) we're going to be resting players for the next 2 matches in preparation for the playoffs and 2) ar5e-covering in case they don't go up in the play-offs.

Plymouth are inconsistent as hell at the moment, I'm not sure whether that's better or worse than being incredibly predictable like the Skates, though if Plymouth keep it up they might end up as low as 7th rather than 5th, which would leave them playing away second to whoever drops out of the automatic positions rather than finishing at home against 6th or 7th, which has to be preferable. Then again, Plymouth can still come 2nd at the moment (as can Portsmouth, albeit from 2 points further back and needing 9 results to go their way).

Catlin talks about the loan situation towards the beginning of this riveting video:

Based on what he says, I think non-emergency "window to window" loanees are available until the end of the season, of which the play-offs are inclusive. It would appear its only emergency loanees that don't qualify due to the 93 day rule.

That is absolutely correct. The transfer window opens when the season finishes, so after the play-offs and they can't send anyone back until the window is open even if they want to, but the "emergency" loans had a max 93 day limit and couldn't be extended beyond that. The emergency loan window closed in the third week of March just like the old transfer deadline. The L2 Play Off Final is 30th May and 93 days before that is 27th February, so anyone signed before then but not on a season long loan can't play in the PO Final. The 12th,14th,15th,18th May are the semis, which prevents anyone signed before 9th, 11th, 13th or 16th February respectively playing in those games too.

Now the emergency loan window has closed... forever. Frankly without the emergency loan window I don't know how three-quarters of League Two are going to operate, it completely plays into the Skates' hands as a team with a bigger turnover and (theoretically) the ability to lay out more money up front, so if they don't go up this season it's absolutely on a plate for them next year. Every team in that division has used emergency loans to plug short term gaps for years, some of the less affluent sides use them on a rolling basis just to be able to operate.

Getting stuck with the rubbish in the squad at the end of August for a 4 month period and only being able to sign non-contract players to plug the gaps is going to catch some sides out hugely next year, not least because it takes the closure of the transfer window to activate the trickle-down effect of loan player availability to clubs in lower divisions. Newport this season would have been absolutely doomed without the ability to take players in for a month or two to show their stuff to their parent clubs without a long term wage commitment, stuck with the dross that they cobbled together having released all but 4 players whilst paying Conference money to the replacements.

Edited by The9

Comedy option would be for other clubs to suddenly develop a need for their player back

Teams can only recall players on emergency loans (max 93 days), and they're the ones who can't play in the Play-Offs anyway. The "season-long" loanees can't be recalled outside transfer windows (and in practice they're "half-season" loans between transfer windows) .

FourFourTwo just tweeted this article, it's from 2004. There is a classic quote.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/navy-larks-monty-python-and-dalai-lama-why-southampton-vs-portsmouth-more-game

Southampton shouldn't even be bothered about us, but they are. Their problem is not really the fans, it's what everyone else in the country thinks about the two clubs – that Pompey is the proper club, the bigger club, the working-class club with the passionate fans and the singing. We're seen as a sleeping giant, they're a club that got lucky.

They really want to beat us. They’ve got an inferiority complex, which I love to poke. They go out of their way to try and rub it in, while we're like the knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail who fights on while his limbs are chopped off. They can beat us as many times as they like, they’re not a bigger club and never will be. They've taken a tiny club and made a success of it.

:o :o :o

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})