Maggie Thatcher has died

Saint-Armstrong

I bet pap has just made a mess of himself.

Like her or loathe her, she was an amazing Leader and Politician, who, for better or worse shaped a country in her vision.

One of the greatest leaders since Churchill, and had as big an impact since Attlee.

RIP

Those jumping on the "I'm buying a bottle of Champagne..." nonsense should hang their heads. Absolutely vile attitude.

R.I.P Margaret Thatcher, she had more balls than any other Prime Minister in the modern era.

Remarkable Woman.

This.

She did what she thought was right, and stuck to it however unpopular it made her.

And for a fleeting moment of history, she stopped Britains nose-dive into the gutter dead in its tracks.

The quality of her Premiership is only re-iterated by the utterly woeful leadership of all the PMs that have come since.

No doubt the childish un-democratic loony left "progressive" tw*ts will be dancing on the streets tonight...

Watch the BBC work itself up into a proper frenzy...

This.

She did what she thought was right, and stuck to it however unpopular it made her.

And for a fleeting moment of history, she stopped Britains nose-dive into the gutter dead in its tracks.

The quality of her Premiership is only re-iterated by the utterly woeful leadership of all the PMs that have come since.

No doubt the childish un-democratic loony left "progressive" tw*ts will be dancing on the streets tonight...

:toppa:

Spot on mate.

Being born in '89, my interest in her is more from a historical point of view (I studied History & Politics). Never a dull moment.

Also shows how desperate Politicians are now. Will flip & flop to suit the media.

Can't really envisage a PM with such a strong, unwavering ideology nowadays.

I wouldn't celebrate anyone's death, and my sympathies are with her family....

.....but I am not looking forward to the fanciful eulogies we'll now be subjected to, many from people who weren't even adults when she was in power. In my opinion she did great harm to the structure of society in the Uk (cf her "there is no such thing" quote) and let's face it she would never have survived the mess she made of her first term as PM if it hadn't been for the Falklands war boosting her popularity for the second election in 1983.

:toppa:

Spot on mate.

Being born in '89, my interest in her is more from a historical point of view (I studied History & Politics). Never a dull moment.

Also shows how desperate Politicians are now. Will flip & flop to suit the media.

Can't really envisage a PM with such a strong, unwavering ideology nowadays.

I think she was the last successful old school PM - the media has become too influencial with 24 hours reporting. She would not have survived in today's world. So you get what we have now, politicians chasing sound bites and no long term planning and no back bone to carry it through. We are probably worse off for that.

"This woman is headstrong, obstinate and dangerously self-opinionated." ( Report on Margaret Roberts by the ICI Personnel Department, rejecting her job application )

"Margaret Thatcher was beyond argument a great Prime Minister. Her tragedy is that she may be remembered less for the brilliance of her many achievements than for the recklessness with which she later sought to impose her own increasingly uncompromising views." ( Geoffrey Howe )

"I was frequently embarrassed by the way Margaret conducted herself within the European Community. Her tactics were counter-productive and damaging to the UK's interests. On most issues her approach was foolish. Her style and tone of voice came to irk the others so much that they instinctively sank their differences and joined forces against her" ( Nigel Lawson )

I think she was the last successful old school PM - the media has become too influencial with 24 hours reporting. She would not have survived in today's world. So you get what we have now, politicians chasing sound bites and no long term planning and no back bone to carry it through. We are probably worse off for that.

Paradoxically, that sea change is often attributed as being traced back to her. She was usually good for a soundbite, as trousers is demonstrating. She also had an innate understanding of the power of the press in controlling her govt, a move Mr. Blair later adopted.

It carried on under Major, more due to increased media than he himself - for instance PMQs was first televised during Major's tenure.

Blair, well yeah, he took on Thatchers mantle and did a marathon with it.

Brown, well, what did he do?

Cameron, shiny-faced PR machine-Blair mk II. Increasing this further.

I wouldn't celebrate anyone's death, and my sympathies are with her family....

.....but I am not looking forward to the fanciful eulogies we'll now be subjected to, many from people who weren't even adults when she was in power. In my opinion she did great harm to the structure of society in the Uk (cf her "there is no such thing" quote) and let's face it she would never have survived the mess she made of her first term as PM if it hadn't been for the Falklands war boosting her popularity for the second election in 1983.

Agree absolutely

"This woman is headstrong, obstinate and dangerously self-opinionated." ( Report on Margaret Roberts by the ICI Personnel Department, rejecting her job application )

"Margaret Thatcher was beyond argument a great Prime Minister. Her tragedy is that she may be remembered less for the brilliance of her many achievements than for the recklessness with which she later sought to impose her own increasingly uncompromising views." ( Geoffrey Howe )

"I was frequently embarrassed by the way Margaret conducted herself within the European Community. Her tactics were counter-productive and damaging to the UK's interests. On most issues her approach was foolish. Her style and tone of voice came to irk the others so much that they instinctively sank their differences and joined forces against her" ( Nigel Lawson )

The EU has proven itself worthy of her contempt.

And she probably only got self-opinionated in Cabinet because she realised towards the end she was surrounded by bellends who couldnt organise a p*ss-up in a brewery. Look at the Tory party now.

Interesting that she is apparently so popular amongst football fans given she virtually tried to destroy professional football in ths country at one point. Is there no one here old enough to remember her daft idea that ALL football fans would need to have ID cards showing them to fans of a specific club and that you wouldn't be able to have a card for a club more than 30 ( I think?) miles from your home address. No card, no admittance to any stadium. There was talk of banning all away fans and of course it was Thatcher who introduced the all-seater stadium rule that I note many of her fans on here are so against.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/face-saving-plan-on-id-cards-opposition-taunts-thatcher-over-climbdown-on-football-scheme-1.593402

I bet pap has just made a mess of himself.

Like her or loathe her, she was an amazing Leader and Politician, who, for better or worse shaped a country in her vision.

One of the greatest leaders since Churchill, and had as big an impact since Attlee.

RIP

Those jumping on the "I'm buying a bottle of Champagne..." nonsense should hang their heads. Absolutely vile attitude.

I'll take this as my statement on the issue, thanks KRG

RIP

The EU has proven itself worthy of her contempt.

And she probably only got self-opinionated in Cabinet because she realised towards the end she was surrounded by bellends who couldnt organise a p*ss-up in a brewery. Look at the Tory party now.

Even as very much a non-fan of hers, I did enjoy some of her sound bites. My favourite is the story that , at one cabinet meeting everyone present had the complete oppposite view to her. They all thought her idea was a daft one. Instead of changing her mind like most people would do when faced with counter advice from around a dozen people they'd personally chosen to advise her, she reportedly said , "Gentlemen, we appear to be at an impasse"!

Forget about the politics for a minute and just remember what an incredible achievement for a women to lead a political party and particularly the Tory party. We are no nearer to another women PM than we were when she left a generation ago. She was also outside of the establishment and a great contrast to pygmies running the 3 parties at present.

You can quite understand people hating her, but the simple facts are that she won 3 victories so her policies were popular with the electorate.

The country needed changing and she had the balls to change it. Hardly any of her reforms were rolled back by Labour despite 3 massive majorities and 13 years to do so.

She wasn't a great leader - just stubborn as a mule. Sure, she modernised the country in many ways, but that was a bi-product of her pathological hatred of the unions. She destroyed many of our manufacturing industries, divided our country North - South, and stated, quite openly, that the City would keep us. Her one good policy was selling council houses. A cute move - people with mortgages don't go on strike. I, for one, won't mourn her passing, as she, no doubt, wouldn't have mourned mine. She ruined millions of lives in the early-mid 80's. Thankfully, she didn't ruin mine as I was lucky enough to live in the South. Still, she was a frail old lady at the end of the day, and I hope that the end came peacefully for her. Airbrushing history is a very dangerous thing.

Forget about the politics for a minute and just remember what an incredible achievement for a women to lead a political party and particularly the Tory party. We are no nearer to another women PM than we were when she left a generation ago. She was also outside of the establishment and a great contrast to pygmies running the 3 parties at present.

So, so true. Born above a green-grocers shop, fought the establishment the entire way, compare and contrast to the three spolit-brat silver-spoon chinless boys-wonder in charge of the political parties today.

Clegg and Millband havent even had the grace to say something yet.