Lawro watch 2014/15 season

vince

How we've missed him predicting 38 2-0 defeats in a row.......

"Southampton went to Liverpool and beat them 1-0 early last season but, for obvious reasons, they will take a very different team to Anfield on Sunday.

Three players who were part of that Saints side are at Liverpool now, but Dejan Lovren might be the only one who starts against his former club. Adam Lallana is not fit and Rickie Lambert will probably have to settle for a place on the bench.

Southampton's business plan seems to be to bring players in, train them up and sell them on, which is great when it works but it is a big ask to do it again and again.

Liverpool have actually bought very well after selling Luis Suarez to Barcelona but only up to a point because they have still not answered the question of how on earth they are going to replace Suarez's goals - not just the quantity but also the quality of his strikes.

We know why they are still looking for reinforcements, because if Daniel Sturridge gets injured they will not have an out-and-out striker with any pace.

In the meantime, I think they will have too much for Saints.

But just because Liverpool now have even more options in other attacking positions does not make them as strong as when they had Suarez in their team.

Without him, it will be harder for them to finish in the top four this season.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

Liam's prediction: 3-0 "

What makes me laugh is that no one accounts for the fact Liverpool will also be fielding new players and have lost their only good player!

They could also put out 10 of their starting side from their long winning run towards the end of last season if they wanted to ensure stability. And their Suarez-less side which played the first 6 matches of last season won 4 and drew one before we beat them at Anfield.

Here's the side that beat Man City 3-2: S Mignolet, M Skrtel, M Sakho, G Johnson, J Flanagan, R Sterling (V Moses, 89), S Gerrard, J Henderson (s/o 90), P Coutinho (Lucas, 89), L Suarez , D Sturridge (J Allen, 66).

Only one of those players isn't available. And they've only lost 2 League matches in 2014 so far out of 22.

Edited by The9

They could also put out 10 of their starting side from their long winning run towards the end of last season if they wanted to ensure stability. And their Suarez-less side which played the first 6 matches of last season won 4 and drew one before we beat them at Anfield.

Here's the side that beat Man City 3-2: S Mignolet, M Skrtel, M Sakho, G Johnson, J Flanagan, R Sterling (V Moses, 89), S Gerrard, J Henderson (s/o 90), P Coutinho (Lucas, 89), L Suarez , D Sturridge (J Allen, 66).

Only one of those players isn't available. And they've only lost 2 League matches in 2014 so far out of 22.

Could but wont it'll have just as many changes as ours!

What makes me laugh is that no one accounts for the fact Liverpool will also be fielding new players and have lost their only good player!

From Lawrenson's comments: "they have still not answered the question of how on earth they are going to replace Suarez's goals - not just the quantity but also the quality of his strikes".

What is astonishing in Lawrenson's remarks is this statement: "Southampton's business plan seems to be to bring players in, train them up and sell them on, which is great when it works but it is a big ask to do it again and again." Does he not see that the large exodus of players this summer was driven by the players themselves, not a plan of the Club?

What is astonishing in Lawrenson's remarks is this statement: "Southampton's business plan seems to be to bring players in, train them up and sell them on, which is great when it works but it is a big ask to do it again and again." Does he not see that the large exodus of players this summer was driven by the players themselves, not a plan of the Club?

Or the fact if we could have kept them, the wage bill would have gone sky high and the sustainability of the club would be in jeopardy without a player sale. The club cannot win.

Lawro predicting a Saints win against West brom and thinks we need another striker......

Southampton v West Brom

Like Palace and West Ham, here are two more teams who played well last weekend but were a bit unlucky.

West Brom played all the football against Sunderland but ended up sharing the points.

And I was very impressed by Southampton despite their defeat by Liverpool. Saints were solid defensively and carried a real threat going forward.

On that showing, it did not look like they were missing all the players who left over the summer. They still looked like a team, not a collection of individuals - which I thought they might be because of their turnover of players over the summer.

My only reservation about Southampton is how many goals they have got in them - I know they have signed Shane Long and Graziano Pelle this summer but, unless they strengthen further, I am not sure they will be as strong up front as they are in other areas.

It is the same for West Brom. They are competitive in all areas but how they do up front is what will decide whether they have another season struggling to stay up.

So the pressure is on their new £10m striker Brown Ideye to deliver when he makes his competitive debut.

Lawro predicting a Saints win against West brom and thinks we need another striker......

Southampton v West Brom

Like Palace and West Ham, here are two more teams who played well last weekend but were a bit unlucky.

West Brom played all the football against Sunderland but ended up sharing the points.

And I was very impressed by Southampton despite their defeat by Liverpool. Saints were solid defensively and carried a real threat going forward.

On that showing, it did not look like they were missing all the players who left over the summer. They still looked like a team, not a collection of individuals - which I thought they might be because of their turnover of players over the summer.

My only reservation about Southampton is how many goals they have got in them - I know they have signed Shane Long and Graziano Pelle this summer but, unless they strengthen further, I am not sure they will be as strong up front as they are in other areas.

It is the same for West Brom. They are competitive in all areas but how they do up front is what will decide whether they have another season struggling to stay up.

So the pressure is on their new £10m striker Brown Ideye to deliver when he makes his competitive debut.

Much will depend on what the club think about Rodriquez's recovery and attitude as well as Gallagher's progression as to whether another striker comes in.

Mayuka is not an option.

I don't think there's been anything to complain about with his assessments so far this season. His point about the goals is a valid one, we need Pelle and Long to hit some serious form and to get some excellent service. He predicted we should have won against West Brom, I think we all feel like that was 2 points lost to a poor game, but better early in the season than later when it really starts to matter (look at the opening goes of last season, 1-1 home to sunderland? That was a sh1t3 game, the rest of the season was sweet). And he's fair here, considering our last trips to the Boleyn, a draw would be an improvement for a start! Plus he thinks we'll be fine and tjinks we're stronger than the results suggest, I think that's definitely true, it's just a shame we only showed that at Liverpool and not WBA. Hopefully we might be able to show it against West Ham for once!

Could but wont it'll have just as many changes as ours!

Liverpool last game of last season:

S Mignolet, D Agger, M Skrtel, G Johnson, J Flanagan, R Sterling, S Gerrard, J Allen, J Henderson, L Suarez, D Sturridge

v Saints

S Mignolet, Javi Manquillo, M Skrtel, D Lovren, G Johnson, R Sterling, S Gerrard, Lucas, J Henderson, P Coutinho, D Sturridge

4 changes (2 of which were tactical for players who've been with them over a year already, they could have picked Agger or Allen if they'd wanted).

Saints last game of last season

A Boruc, L Shaw, D Lovren, J Fonte, N Clyne, J Cork, M Schneiderlin, V Wanyama, R Lambert, S Davis, A Lallana

v Liverpool

F Forster, J Fonte, R Bertrand, N Clyne, M Yoshida, S Davis, M Schneiderlin, V Wanyama, J Ward-Prowse, G Pelle, D Tadic

6 changes, again with 2 players who were at the club last season and could have played.

So no, it didn't have "as many changes as ours", in fact we had 20% more changes than Liverpool compared to the final game of last season.

We won't know whether that's the case or not until next summer, I'd be fairly confident that Rodriguez, Schneiderlin, and Ward-Prowse will get sold, plus those whose contracts are expiring like Cork and Boruc may also not be around, and Bertrand may prove to be short term too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lawro reckons we are favourites for this game and have had a great start to the season he also reckons Spurs are struggling for goals so naturally he has predicted........................ spurs to win 2-0:o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29435443

He is up against Ossie Ardiles this week I let others work out what the Spurs legend has predicted:p

Lawro reckons we are favourites for this game and have had a great start to the season he also reckons Spurs are struggling for goals so naturally he has predicted........................ spurs to win 2-0:o

He is up against Ossie Ardiles this week I let others work out what the Spurs legend has predicted:p

TBF his predictions for us so far have been W4 D1 L1 so has been spot on

What does everyone expect him to say? 'Southampton are ubeaten except for the defeat at Liverpool where they deserved something from the game. They are genuine top 6 contenders based on recent form, and I'd expect them to brush aside a Spurs side without a league win since August 24th. Pelle has been in fine form for Saints, whilst Spurs are still lacking a regular goalscorer. Spurs 1-2 Saints'.

We have no chance of winning sadly, due to the nature of football results. We are due a defeat and I will be having a nice lump on Spurs at 6/5.

He never makes bold predictions. This time he's going for seven 2-0 home wins out of the 10 games

Fans of all clubs go "he has an agenda against us" apes hit now, based on him not being "bold" in his forecasts.

How do you think the sensitive flowers on here would cope if Lawro started chucking 4-0 predictions about?

Fans of all clubs go "he has an agenda against us" apes hit now, based on him not being "bold" in his forecasts.

How do you think the sensitive flowers on here would cope if Lawro started chucking 4-0 predictions about?

It must be fantastic being you.

What does everyone expect him to say? 'Southampton are ubeaten except for the defeat at Liverpool where they deserved something from the game. They are genuine top 6 contenders based on recent form, and I'd expect them to brush aside a Spurs side without a league win since August 24th. Pelle has been in fine form for Saints, whilst Spurs are still lacking a regular goalscorer. Spurs 1-2 Saints'.

We have no chance of winning sadly, due to the nature of football results. We are due a defeat and I will be having a nice lump on Spurs at 6/5.

''We have no chance''. Of course we do, what exactly is the point of thinking like that?

And why bet against your own team, it's just weird.

We have the better team, the stronger defence, a fine midfield and the greater goal threat. Tottenham have home advantage. Will home advantage outweigh that they are up against a better team? It's always possible but IMHO the a win for Saints looks more likely. In effect that is what Lawrenson says as well, but then, against the logic of form, he opts to predict a home win. If he expects to taken seriously he should justify his predictions, not just toss a coin.

We have the better team, the stronger defence, a fine midfield and the greater goal threat. Tottenham have home advantage. Will home advantage outweigh that they are up against a better team? It's always possible but IMHO the a win for Saints looks more likely. In effect that is what Lawrenson says as well, but then, against the logic of form, he opts to predict a home win. If he expects to taken seriously he should justify his predictions, not just toss a coin.

Have a look at the betting odds for the weekend. He doesn't have to justify predicting a Spurs win based on that, not that he has to justify his predictions anyway in a meaningless, lighthearted competition he does for the BBC. And it isn't necessarily logical to make predictions based on form. Form changes

''We have no chance''. Of course we do, what exactly is the point of thinking like that?

And why bet against your own team, it's just weird.

Saint_Richmond, sorry, I mean Saint_Robbie, no I didn't I meant Saint_Tony, tut silly me, likes throwing these posts around. Like if we lose we're going to be no better than 9th.

Strange.

Lawro's clearly confused what Spurs need versus what they are capable of getting.