Lawro watch 2014/15 season

vince

Sorry to be so dim, but why can't we keep winning?

Each game is a two horse race. Even the better horse doesn't always win. I think we will likely win at Hull, but would not be surprised if we draw. If we lose then Koeman out of course (only joking)

Just being realistic. The top 6 always ends up being the same. Who on here thinks we will maintain top 4 form all season? Some people's expectations are getting too much now. We were in a similar position this time last year. Call me negative, but I'm going to be right. Still think we will finish 8th/9th again and make a cup final, that would be a good campaign

Tony, you may well turn out be right. But at this stage I will disagree with you. Of course I have my Saints tinted glasses on, but it is also a hope/desire that the staid and predictable top 7 can be broken. Whether it be us or someone else, PL needs it and of course I want it to be us.

As for winning again, we have no problem with injuries (Mane might have a knock for this w/e), so see no reason to think we can't carry on. Of course football is unpredictable at times, but I see no reason not to currently carry on with the optimism. I certainly don't subscribe to the "we're due a loss" theory.

The Merson comment looks amateurish. The only way our main striker could not have scored any goals at all is if he hadn't been picked, and without Pelle's goals Saints would have a GD of +9, the same as Man City. That assumes whoever played in his place scored no goals at all either. It's complete nonsense.

As for Lawrenson, hot off the back of 9 incorrect results out of 10 last week, he fails to produce any reason for his prediction except that a winning team must eventually lose and he "thinks" it will be this week. That isn't thinking, it's guessing but after last week's performance, maybe thinking makes his head hurt.....

No surprise there. He's as jumbled up as ever. His comments make no sense at all read from start to end.

Graziano Pelle is on fire, as we saw with that outstanding goal in the Capital One Cup, but I can see Southampton only getting a draw. That’s because I think Hull are a real threat again after going back to playing three at the back. Believe it or not, I don’t think there’s a lot of difference between these two teams. If you take Pelle’s goals and give them to Hull then it might be a bit different. I will go for 1-1.

Well **** it if we have to give Pelle's goals to Hull then we're having costa's goals from Chelsea and Chelsea can have Ballotelli's goals from Liverpool I bet the whole PL would look different :lol:. Wheres NickG with a useful chart of how the PL would look if all the teams gave each other their goals scored this season :D

Tony, you may well turn out be right. But at this stage I will disagree with you. Of course I have my Saints tinted glasses on, but it is also a hope/desire that the staid and predictable top 7 can be broken. Whether it be us or someone else, PL needs it and of course I want it to be us.

As for winning again, we have no problem with injuries (Mane might have a knock for this w/e), so see no reason to think we can't carry on. Of course football is unpredictable at times, but I see no reason not to currently carry on with the optimism. I certainly don't subscribe to the "we're due a loss" theory.

Of course, like Morgan said it would be a 'bomb' in the game for a club like us to upset the top 6. I'd love nothing more than for it to happen. We'd need a hell of a lot of luck along the way though

Not sure if anyone has said it.

He has West Ham in 17th, which is pretty dire. He only has top, bottom and 2 others in correct positions.

Lawro is not any good at this, why should we care?

Actually, and without wanting to invite the scorn from Deano06 upon myself, he isn't as bad as you might suspect.

Its not the guessing that annoys me, its the BBC promoting him as their 'football expert' which implies that his predictions will be based on form and experience, not just on guesswork. As a so-called expert he should explain his predictions by linking them to the analysis of the competing teams. Instead he states something obvious that everyone already knows, and suggests a score-line on the basis that if you make 10 guesses, you will get lucky with some of them. This week he notes that Everton, having taken only 2 points from their first three home games, have won their last two games; (he doesn't mention that it was against struggling Villa and rock-bottom Burnley). Everton's opponents this week are Swansea who are in the top 6 level with Arsenal and Liverpool. Lawrenson states some of the known facts, omitting that Everton are down at 14th, only 2 points above the relegation zone, and then predicts a 2-0 win for Everton. Rachel Riley has predicted a 1-1 draw, which looks far more logical and allows for goal machine Bony to pop one in again, whereas the 'expert' simply makes another random guess which assume Bony will fail to score. My guess? He'll be wrong.

Juvenile Unit #2 played a cup final at Anfield. Lawro was one of the dignitaries that said hello. Frankly, after seeing his garb ( dressed for Moscow in January when it was October in Liverpool ) and his miserable slapped arse face, I decided he wasn't really that on the ball.

Its not the guessing that annoys me, its the BBC promoting him as their 'football expert' which implies that his predictions will be based on form and experience, not just on guesswork. As a so-called expert he should explain his predictions by linking them to the analysis of the competing teams. Instead he states something obvious that everyone already knows, and suggests a score-line on the basis that if you make 10 guesses, you will get lucky with some of them. This week he notes that Everton, having taken only 2 points from their first three home games, have won their last two games; (he doesn't mention that it was against struggling Villa and rock-bottom Burnley). Everton's opponents this week are Swansea who are in the top 6 level with Arsenal and Liverpool. Lawrenson states some of the known facts, omitting that Everton are down at 14th, only 2 points above the relegation zone, and then predicts a 2-0 win for Everton. Rachel Riley has predicted a 1-1 draw, which looks far more logical and allows for goal machine Bony to pop one in again, whereas the 'expert' simply makes another random guess which assume Bony will fail to score. My guess? He'll be wrong.

Jesus Christ.

Actually, and without wanting to invite the scorn from Deano06 upon myself, he isn't as bad as you might suspect.

In the season before last, someone at the Beeb worked out that had he/someone bet on his predicted results, a small profit would have been made. No idea about last season though.

Just being realistic. The top 6 always ends up being the same. Who on here thinks we will maintain top 4 form all season? Some people's expectations are getting too much now. We were in a similar position this time last year. Call me negative, but I'm going to be right. Still think we will finish 8th/9th again and make a cup final, that would be a good campaign

The last time the top 6 were the same 2 seasons running was 2008/09 and 2007/08 (Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton, Man U and Villa, not necessarily in that order)). Only 2 teams, Chelsea and Arsenal have figured in the top 6 consistently over the last 8 seasons.

No surprise there. He's as jumbled up as ever. His comments make no sense at all read from start to end.

Graziano Pelle is on fire, as we saw with that outstanding goal in the Capital One Cup, but I can see Southampton only getting a draw. That’s because I think Hull are a real threat again after going back to playing three at the back. Believe it or not, I don’t think there’s a lot of difference between these two teams. If you take Pelle’s goals and give them to Hull then it might be a bit different. I will go for 1-1.

Bloody hell, Forster better be on guard incase Pelle does a Vergini and rifles in a screamer!!

Is Merse back on the old Colombian Marching Powder?

One other factor to show where Lawrenson's focus lies: His word count for games this week included Man City/Man U - 419 words; Newcastle/Liverpool 364 words; Arsenal/Burnley 266 words. Hull v Saints got just 92 words so it does appear that a judgement was made about which clubs the public want to read about and Southampton didn't rate very high. It is true that the Chelsea/QPR fixture rated even less, at 81 words, but perhaps there isn't much to say if a game is considered a foregone conclusion.

Why does Saints "run of good form has to come to an end sometime"?

Does Chelsea's also have to come to an end?

I don't see any reason to expect Saints to lose any game any time soon.

Only explanation I can think of is that Lawro hasn't watched us play or paid any attention to what's been going on off the pitch.

Just to continue my anti-Lawrenson diatribes, this week's Lawrenson prediction of 2-1 for Saints against Leicester may be right, it may be wrong but as usual the so called 'analysis' of the forthcoming match bears no relationship to the prediction. Based on the printed comments, a bigger winning margin would make sense and that's without any mention of Saints remarkable defensive record. So no justification of why he has Leicester down as scoring against us when very few others have succeeded.

The report on his performance is always positive, regardless of how badly he has done. So against Rachel, it read "Last weekend, Lawro got one correct result from 10 Premier League games, predicting the perfect score in Swansea's 2-0 win over Leicester." It would have been more accurate to say: "Lawro only got one result correct and 9 wrong."

Last week, three teams scored 3 goals but Lawrenson's predictions have no team scoring more than 2. They really should give the job to Rachel Riley.

My students might agree but I'm starting to think you aren't really CB Fry as he knew a lot about a lot and not just football.

He should definitely post a video of himself jumping backwards onto a mantelpiece holding today's paper to prove it's really him... ;)

My students might agree but I'm starting to think you aren't really CB Fry as he knew a lot about a lot and not just football.

what sort of things do you profess?

Edit: Sorry for impudent + idle curiosity, you don't have to say if it is classified!

I'm starting to think he isn't really a professor.

My brother has a PhD whereas I am only qualified to Bachelor level. He's younger, so it's a constant source of shame to be out-qualified by him. To even the odds, I'd need a PhD. To reclaim my rightful top spot, I'd either need 2 PhD's or land a job with the Professor title.

It's quite involved, apparently. It's something conferred, rather than directly earned.

• 2 weeks later...

And it's back the best bit of pre match build up :D

Lawro reckons we will get mugged Citizen Khan (a villa supporter) thinks we will win

Aston Villa v Southampton (20:00 GMT)

This is a big game for both sides and I am really looking forward to it.

It makes so much difference to the atmosphere for players to be playing in a night match under floodlights and it is more exciting for fans compared to a Saturday lunchtime kick-off.

The thing about Southampton's great start to the season is that it means they are now a scalp, which brings a different kind of pressure.

Villa ended a run of six defeats with a draw against West Ham but, even with Christian Benteke suspended, I think they might surprise a few people here.

I am not taking anything away from Saints, who have been excellent in pretty much every way on the pitch this season and, off it, are a great example of how to run a football club.

It is just that I think Villa might mug them on Monday.

Lawro's prediction: 1-0

Adil's prediction: 0-2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29993756

Nice to see Lawro championing Liverpool giving Lambert a decent run of games with Sturridge's injury still on going.