Lawro watch 2014/15 season

vince

I can't see a lot wrong in that tbf. It seems a fair and balanced assessment with a few big compliments. I know he had been a bit of a **** about us in the past, but that one seems pretty reasonable. Apart from saints not winning, obviously

That's true of course, but we need our weekly dose of anti-Lawro venom.

It doesn't come across to me as hatred for Southampton or any of the 'small clubs but just that his 'predictions' are, to coin a phrase - 'predictable'. He assumes positive results for the 'Big' five, which to him are Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool. Given that three of those teams are in the top three, that will have worked for him a lot of the time but when one of them is failing, as Liverpool have done so far this year he inevitably gets predictions wrong.

My criticism of him is twofold - (1) that the result he predicts is often not reflected in the assessment paragraph that is printed - which I suspect is actually written by a journalist anyway; and (2) the predictions are formulaic without taking enough account of known current facts such as recent form, injured players and suspensions.

Quite satisfying when his predictions have a bad week, as this week.

why people put any store in these predictions is anyone's guess. we were relegation favourites, then CL, then mid-table, now god knows what. I just watch the game and don't pretend to be a know all predicting what the outcome will be.

He's not pretending to be a know all. The BBC pay him to make predictions each week for Five Live, Football Focus and the website.

And the only people who put any "store" in his predictions are the effing loons that over analyse them and then get jolly upset.

Which brings us to...

It doesn't come across to me as hatred for Southampton or any of the 'small clubs but just that his 'predictions' are, to coin a phrase - 'predictable'. He assumes positive results for the 'Big' five, which to him are Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool. Given that three of those teams are in the top three, that will have worked for him a lot of the time but when one of them is failing, as Liverpool have done so far this year he inevitably gets predictions wrong.

My criticism of him is twofold - (1) that the result he predicts is often not reflected in the assessment paragraph that is printed - which I suspect is actually written by a journalist anyway; and (2) the predictions are formulaic without taking enough account of known current facts such as recent form, injured players and suspensions.

Quite satisfying when his predictions have a bad week, as this week.

....this guy.

Still scant evidence of him being a real professor.

Are there any experts who publically predict Premier League games who are any good? I have been tracking Lawrenson's predictions on my blog for nine weeks now and he basically gets half the games right, but rarely gets the score right. The system I am made up (and published) in half an hour out performs him (and Paul Merson for that matter). There must be people who make money betting on the games, but they probably keep their mouths shut.

Many years ago people such as Alfred Oliver (of Keynsham, spelt K. E. Y.......) realised that you couldn't make money from predicting football results but you could make money by selling your predictions, useless as they might be, to others. Lawrenson and Merson are merely the modern equivalent.

Are there any experts who publically predict Premier League games who are any good? I have been tracking Lawrenson's predictions on my blog for nine weeks now and he basically gets half the games right, but rarely gets the score right. The system I am made up (and published) in half an hour out performs him (and Paul Merson for that matter). There must be people who make money betting on the games, but they probably keep their mouths shut.

What do you mean by any good? How many people in the world would have predicted relegation candidates Leicester coming from two down to beat an in form Liverpool, or burnley doing the same at Man City? That's what's makes football the game it is, is not played on spreadsheets and numbers matrix, it's so difficult to predict. It is was easy then we'd all be millionaires from accumulators. No one really gives a toss except for the saps on here and most people realise that they are just being paid to give a view on a game, not gaze into a crystal ball.

The accuracy of a prediction in any one game is meaningless for the reasons you mentioned and others. I would consider an expert prognosticator to be "any good" if he could significantly out predict my silly little system. I also would consider an aspect of being "any good" as recognizing that 1 goal victories are the norm and there should be a very good reason before you predict a club will win by two or more goals.

Also, I would not suggest that predicting winners accurately enough to win money gambling would be easy. I just think it is probably possible, but, as I said, people who can do that probably just go about winning their money privately. They don't publish.

• 3 weeks later...
Let the Lawro love in begin:D

Southampton, meanwhile, just keep rolling on and keep on picking up Premier League points.

It is clear now they are a top six team, with a chance of finishing in the top four. They should be in round five of the FA Cup too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30889999

Wow, such an unequivocal statement. 4th to 6th. That must have hurt him.

You cannot fail to be overwhelmed by Lawrenson's insight as a football expert. His incisive observation that after 22 games it is now clear that the team laying 3rd in the Premier League is a top six team that has a chance of finishing in the top 4, fills you with admiration for his comprehensive awareness of the game.

Let the Lawro love in begin:D

Southampton, meanwhile, just keep rolling on and keep on picking up Premier League points.

It is clear now they are a top six team, with a chance of finishing in the top four. They should be in round five of the FA Cup too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30889999

Quite disgraceful bias against us. Why does he think we are not a top two team? The man is an idiot.

To be honest, as no one ever reads what he says about other teams other than their own (be honest, do you really?), he may as well cut and paste "The team should be finishing in the top 4 and pushing for the title" for every single team in the league. No one would know.

He wouldn't do that, he hates us so singles us out for criticism.

Why does Mark Ronson hate us so much?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31023454

This will probably come back to bite me, but Mark Ronson has QPR to get their first away points of the season with a 1-0 victory away over "notoriously difficult to beat" Stoke City.

He's also a Chelsea fan, so what does he know about football ;-)

(cue "QPR steal injury time winner" headlines on Sunday!)

Yes - but still that doesn't tell me who Mark Ronson is. Problem with life these days, is that too many people are infatuated by people who really don't do very much and get called "celebrities". But I followed the link on Ask Lawro and I see why I have never heard of him. I haven't taken any notice of the Top 40 for about 25 years now.

Yes - but still that doesn't tell me who Mark Ronson is. Problem with life these days, is that too many people are infatuated by people who really don't do very much and get called "celebrities". But I followed the link on Ask Lawro and I see why I have never heard of him. I haven't taken any notice of the Top 40 for about 25 years now.

why dont you google mark ronson to find out

Come on over to the Arts Forum, and I'll explain why he's a genius, rather than a celebrity.

According to Lawro's astute football brain Swansea are already suffering from having sold their best player and games keep coming thick and fast. Seems to have overlooked the fact that Bony has been at the AFCON with Ivory Coast, so Swansea would have been without him anyway. I really wonder what is the point of Lawro. At least in the old days he gave a home to a slug, nowadays nothing.

why dont you google mark ronson to find out

Because really, I have no interest in the lives of pop stars, TV chefs, football players, people living in a house full of cameras, reality show actors [sic] from Chelsea, Essex, Newcastle or anywhere else or anyone else of that ilk. I was going to add people who take their kit off, but if they are attractive enough, then I might have a passing interest.

His latest chart top turd of a song if fing irritating!

I was with the kids and sat through it. Started off OK, but by the end I agree with you.

Come on over to the Arts Forum, and I'll explain why he's a genius, rather than a celebrity.

Genius - I'm sure your reasoning as to why he is will be most interesting. I guess it won't have much to do was his sagaciousness so I might just take you up on that and pop over to the Arts Forum, which I think I might never have visited.

Because really, I have no interest in the lives of pop stars, TV chefs, football players, people living in a house full of cameras, reality show actors [sic] from Chelsea, Essex, Newcastle or anywhere else or anyone else of that ilk. I was going to add people who take their kit off, but if they are attractive enough, then I might have a passing interest.

I was with the kids and sat through it. Started off OK, but by the end I agree with you.

Genius - I'm sure your reasoning as to why he is will be most interesting. I guess it won't have much to do was his sagaciousness so I might just take you up on that and pop over to the Arts Forum, which I think I might never have visited.

Why are you lumping Mark Ronson in with reality show contestants?

You've admitted you don't have a clue who he is so why not stop there?

Do you remember when you dad used to tell you modern music was rubbish and morrisey sounds like a low grade supermarket? That's how you sound now.

You seem to be still going though.

That's because, as has been pointed out, I am now like my father used to be ie have got to a certain age, where when people try and be condescending, patronising or anything else, it really doesn't register any more. But thank you old boy for your concern.

That's because, as has been pointed out, I am now like my father used to be ie have got to a certain age, where when people try and be condescending, patronising or anything else, it really doesn't register any more. But thank you old boy for your concern.

Your reply didn't register with me at all.

Now I'm really angry. Get your sorry backside over to the arts forum now, Plastic, and well have it out!

I didn't even know that forum existed. Please create the "Amy Winehouse: Tortured Genius or nasal skag hag?" thread, and I should be delighted to attend.

QPR v Southampton

QPR have been relying on their home form because they cannot win a raffle on the road, but they have only taken two points from their last three games at Loftus Road and I do not see them ending that poor run on Saturday.

Southampton had a strange result last weekend when they lost at home to Swansea because they should have been home and hosed by half-time.

Saints know how well they played in that game and they would have won the majority of games in the Premier League playing that way. I think they have got a strong enough mentality to say 'that was just a blip, let's get back on it'.

Lawro's prediction: 1-2

John's prediction: A lot of my friends are QPR fans and I would not like to see them miserable. 3-1