Lawro watch 2014/15 season

vince

There must be a few on this board who would like to offer congratulations to 'Lawro' on his predictions this weekend. After all, there have been plenty who have cast aspersions on his forecasting abilities in the past. I would like to have had some money on his overall predictions throughout this season so far.

There must be a few on this board who would like to offer congratulations to 'Lawro' on his predictions this weekend. After all, there have been plenty who have cast aspersions on his forecasting abilities in the past. I would like to have had some money on his overall predictions throughout this season so far.

Why he predicted 2 nil?

• 3 weeks later...

Well after predicting a close 1-1 draw last week. This week Lawro has predicted another close 1-1 draw lets hope it has the same result as last week:D

Southampton's 8-0 win over Sunderland last week was a great achievement but a freak result, and I have never seen a team capitulate as easily as the Black Cats did. By the end, they were a rabble.

Stoke, meanwhile, were a bit too cute for Swansea - and I am not talking about the penalty that provided the Potters with their equaliser. There is no doubt that the referee got that decision massively wrong.

There is no way Saints will score eight against Mark Hughes' side - they have only conceded nine all season and have the best defensive record in the Premier League outside the top three.

This one will be a lot closer, and I can see Stoke leaving with a point.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1

Mark and Karen's prediction: 2-2

There is no way Saints will score eight against Mark Hughes' side - they have only conceded nine all season and have the best defensive record in the Premier League outside the top three.

And Sunderland had only conceded 7 when they had 8 scored against them and had the best defensive record in the Premier League excluding the club in third place?

Well after predicting a close 1-1 draw last week. This week Lawro has predicted another close 1-1 draw lets hope it has the same result as last week:D

Southampton's 8-0 win over Sunderland last week was a great achievement but a freak result, and I have never seen a team capitulate as easily as the Black Cats did. By the end, they were a rabble.

Stoke, meanwhile, were a bit too cute for Swansea - and I am not talking about the penalty that provided the Potters with their equaliser. There is no doubt that the referee got that decision massively wrong.

This one will be a lot closer, and I can see Stoke leaving with a point.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1

Mark and Karen's prediction: 2-2

I like that, Sunderland had only conceded 8 goals so far this season (I think) when they stepped off the bus into St Mary's last Saturday lunchtime................

Lawro talks complete bollix the whole time. As usual he contradicts himself. So the team with the best defensive record outside of the top 3 is going to keep Saints from scoring too many, but then he doesn't think the team with THE best defensive record will be able to do better than them. Then the team with the 4th (equal) worst scoring record against the second best! So if you look at the stats, which Lawro does, then at this early stage it points to a home win. However, we all know that it isn't as easy as that.

SFC GF19 GA5 GD +14

SCFC GF8 GA9 GD -1

Lawro talks complete bollix the whole time. As usual he contradicts himself. So the team with the best defensive record outside of the top 3 is going to keep Saints from scoring too many, but then he doesn't think the team with THE best defensive record will be able to do better than them. Then the team with the 4th (equal) worst scoring record against the second best! So if you look at the stats, which Lawro does, then at this early stage it points to a home win. However, we all know that it isn't as easy as that.

SFC GF19 GA5 GD +14

SCFC GF8 GA9 GD -1

So basically, what you're saying is "please say we'll win Lawro. Please say we'll win. Please Lawro. Please just say we'll win. Please. Lawro, please."

SFC GF19 GA5 GD +14

SCFC GF8 GA9 GD -1

Lawro got his SFC's mixed up when looking at the stats that's all!

SFC GF19 GA5 GD +14

SCFC GF8 GA9 GD -1

You are right, his predictions often bear no relation to the preamble. In fact, he frequently draws a contrary conclusion. Nothing to do with wanting him to predict Saints wins as someone keeps suggesting. His predictions, like everyone elses, are immaterial.

If you predict football results on form and home advantage you won't get them all right but you will get more right than wrong. When Lawrenson predicts AGAINST form he is just relying on luck. Looks like his prediction tool is a piece of paper and a pin.

If you predict football results on form and home advantage you won't get them all right but you will get more right than wrong. When Lawrenson predicts AGAINST form he is just relying on luck. Looks like his prediction tool is a piece of paper and a pin.

Maybe, but reality is if he always went with the obvious, would anyone read it? He has to through a few odd balls in every week to generate the right amount of interest and discussion... as we see here. Unfortunately, some like Fry, seem unable to let folk express and opinion without making a snide arse like comment...

The nation had the misfortune of having to endure the imbecile Lawrence as a pundit on MOTD2 tonight. He was comparing the defences of Man United against Chelski's and opined that it was the team who couldn't defend (United) against the team with the best defence in the league. (He must have meant Chelski, as United weren't playing us). I realise that this thought made a nice sound bite from the point of view of hyperbole, but I think that he would find with minimal research that it is lil' ole Saints who have not only the best defence in England at all levels but amongst the very best in Europe. I know that he doesn't like to do any research on the teams outside of what he perceives to be the elite few, but even the most cursory glance at the table would reveal that we must be in second place for a reason and if that wasn't enough of a clue, the goal difference ought to give him a huge hint that we are not conceding many.

Got the impression that the pundits on MotD2 were shocked Lawrenson's arrogant and rather stupid attitude. While they were trying to have a sensible discussion about Saints and WHU being in the top 4, Lawrenson stated forcibly, that neither will be there at the end of the season as if that was an incontrovertible fact. In reality, the only fact was that he could not possibly know. Stating opinion as if it is fact has no place in serious discussion and is more likely to reflect prejudice based on insufficient evidence. In Lawrenson's case, he was behaving like a spoilt child who wants to stop something being said that he doesn't want to hear. I'm only sorry that he didn't stick his fingers in his ears and start going "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

Got the impression that the pundits on MotD2 were shocked Lawrenson's arrogant and rather stupid attitude. While they were trying to have a sensible discussion about Saints and WHU being in the top 4, Lawrenson stated forcibly, that neither will be there at the end of the season as if that was an incontrovertible fact. In reality, the only fact was that he could not possibly know. Stating opinion as if it is fact has no place in serious discussion and is more likely to reflect prejudice based on insufficient evidence. In Lawrenson's case, he was behaving like a spoilt child who wants to stop something being said that he doesn't want to hear. I'm only sorry that he didn't stick his fingers in his ears and start going "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

Lawro is right though.

All summer when suggested we could maybe have kept, say Callum chambers. This place was full of "what do you expect"..... "We are a top 8 side" and "cortese lied to the players by saying we can't get champions league"

We (probably) won't be in the top 4 going into the New Year, it's just how he puts his point across that bothers me. He hates to see smaller clubs having a bit of success and won't even entertain giving the idea some sensible thought or air time.

Also, what a scruffy looking c*nt. The man needs a hair cut a good wash by the looks of it.

LOL at MOTD2 last night According to Lawro, any sensible person who has a knowledge of football in this country expected both West Ham and Southampton to be bottom 6. :lol:

I mused on whether that precluded Lawrence on grounds of not being sensible, not having knowledge of football in this country (outside of the glory team) or a combination of both. As well as the statement he made about Chelski's defence being the best in the PL and that we wouldn't finish in the top four, I also noted the comment that you highlighted too. All in all, an illustration of what an ignorant and biased individual he is, not fit to be classed as a pundit. Why do the Beeb continue to employ him? Is it for comedic value?

We (probably) won't be in the top 4 going into the New Year, it's just how he puts his point across that bothers me. He hates to see smaller clubs having a bit of success and won't even entertain giving the idea some sensible thought or air time.

Also, what a scruffy looking c*nt. The man needs a hair cut a good wash by the looks of it.

This is the point. He's entitled to an opinion but opinion should not be stated as fact. The role of a pundit should be to give opinions supported by evidence and argument so that the viewers, who will all have their own opinions, can take what the pundit says into account. Simply making an assertion adds nothing to a debate. As for his appearance last night, it looked as if the BBC's make-up department had prepared him for a role in a drama as a down-and-out.

This is the point. He's entitled to an opinion but opinion should not be stated as fact. The role of a pundit should be to give opinions supported by evidence and argument so that the viewers, who will all have their own opinions, can take what the pundit says into account. Simply making an assertion adds nothing to a debate. As for his appearance last night, it looked as if the BBC's make-up department had prepared him for a role in a drama as a down-and-out.

It's not an opinion stated as fact. It's just an opinion.

"Give opinions supported by evidence", laughable. It's Match of the Day not a paper in the bloody Lancet.

Lawrenson has categorically stated that no way will we end the season in top 4.

So that's that then.

Is that the same as when he said ''Southampton will not sign Gaston Ramirez'' ? ;)

To be fair, he's right. I can't see it being possible. Top 6 maybe, if injuries are favourable and we get our fair share of luck along the way.

But going by how Everton and Spurs have struggled this year (And Swansea last year) I'm not sure if I can get too excited about finishing in a Europa League spot......financially it offers nothing, other than games against far away eastern European sides on a Thursday evening.

Edited by S-Clarke

He always looks like he's had a very hard paper round…….

I don't know why anyone should get upset at Lawrenson. He's a nobody and the BBC are starting to reallise that. Don't be surprised to see him dropped as a pundit for good.

Don't think it's a case of being upset by Lawrenson because his role isn't that big a deal, and you can't blame a washed-up ex-footballer from taking money that's offered to him. It's the BBC I would criticise for keeping him on long past his sell-by date and promoting him as their 'football expert'. His predictions for the games on Sat and Sun produced one correct prediction and 8 incorrect while the amateurs he was supposed to compete with predicted 4 results correctly. His comments on Saints' prospects for the season are equally meaningless but its a shame the public should be subjected to them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29782277

Southampton just keep on winning and Graziano Pelle just keeps on scoring. Pelle has hit nine goals in 12 games for Southampton this season. Saints have been brilliant of late, but their run has to end somewhere, and I think it will be the KC Stadium. I like the fact Hull do not roll over for anyone and, even when they are hit by injuries, they are always feisty. I put that down to Tigers boss Steve Bruce. Behind Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, he is the best man-manager in the Premier League.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Worth pointing out that he only got one result correct last week, never mind the scores. The table at the bottom also shows that bizarrely he really likes Stoke and really dislikes West Ham, and true to form, he's predicted Stoke winning that game 2-1. I don't think we need to worry about his predictions much.

Southampton just keep on winning and Graziano Pelle just keeps on scoring. Pelle has hit nine goals in 12 games for Southampton this season. Saints have been brilliant of late, but their run has to end somewhere, and I think it will be the KC Stadium. I like the fact Hull do not roll over for anyone and, even when they are hit by injuries, they are always feisty. I put that down to Tigers boss Steve Bruce. Behind Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, he is the best man-manager in the Premier League.

I think he will keep saying every week that the run has to end somewhere until he is proven right.........that's not punditry, that's him just being a tit....

But Lawro's opponent this week is the lovely Rachel Riley who predicts a 0-1 win for the Saints. I know who I am in bed with! :p

No idea why people take so much notice of him. It's but one opinion and I personally find him a bit last century.

But if you look at what he has written, he might be right and the run has to end somewhere. But why? Why does it have to end? Is that because little old Saints can't possibly challenge at the top as that is reserved for 4 or 5 teams, which doesn't include us? Possibly, but a pundit who is paid for this sort of shït should be slightly more open minded. As for man managers, I think that Bruce probably is pretty good. But I think that if he had bothered to look behind the Saints' results this season, he might have found that Koeman might be considered to be a pretty good man manager.

As I say, why worry about what he has to write?

No surprise there. He's as jumbled up as ever. His comments make no sense at all read from start to end.

Graziano Pelle is on fire, as we saw with that outstanding goal in the Capital One Cup, but I can see Southampton only getting a draw. That’s because I think Hull are a real threat again after going back to playing three at the back. Believe it or not, I don’t think there’s a lot of difference between these two teams. If you take Pelle’s goals and give them to Hull then it might be a bit different. I will go for 1-1.

I have to agree with him. For us to win again would simply be too good to be true. The bubble will eventually burst. We can't keep winning, and are due a few defeats to even out the table. The loss this saturday will be disappointing, but landing a nice bit of cash on a hull win will soften the blow, plus we will still be in a strong position in the league, and should win at home next weekend

I have to agree with him. For us to win again would simply be too good to be true. The bubble will eventually burst. We can't keep winning, and are due a few defeats to even out the table. The loss this saturday will be disappointing, but landing a nice bit of cash on a hull win will soften the blow, plus we will still be in a strong position in the league, and should win at home next weekend

Just like penalties were the best we could hope for last night, and that we were out once it went to 2-2?

Your mindset is so transparent.