Europa League qualification?

Monk

So now we are experts in European qualification rules let's have a look at La Liga:

1 Barcelona

2 Real Madrid

3 Atl Madrid

4 Villarreal

5 Ath Bilbao

6 Celta de Vigo

7 Sevilla

8 Malaga

This weekend there is the cup final between Barcelona and Sevilla.

The top 4 and Sevilla qualify for the CL but which teams go straight into the group stage?

Does the 8th team get an EL place?

Which teams get an EL group place and which have to qualify?

Does the result of the cup final make any difference?

So now we are experts in European qualification rules let's have a look at La Liga:

1 Barcelona

2 Real Madrid

3 Atl Madrid

4 Villarreal

5 Ath Bilbao

6 Celta de Vigo

7 Sevilla

8 Malaga

This weekend there is the cup final between Barcelona and Sevilla.

The top 4 and Sevilla qualify for the CL but which teams go straight into the group stage?

Does the 8th team get an EL place?

Which teams get an EL group place and which have to qualify?

Does the result of the cup final make any difference?

Spain loses a Europa League place regardless of which way the Copa del Rey final goes.

If Sevilla win it, 1) the cup winners in Greece get promoted to the group stage, 2) the cup winners in Cyprus get promoted to the 3rd qualifying round and 3) the cup winners in Serbia and Slovenia get promoted to the 2nd qualifying round.

If Barcelona win it, only scenarios 2) and 3) take place.

Spain will only have Athletic Bilbao in the group stage and Celta Vigo in the 3rd qualifying round.

It would be quality if we played Bilbao.

that would be my choice, along with Hearts and Hertha Berlin in the group stage. Really interesting historic links between Southampton and Bilbao from the teams kits (which they got from us) and refugee children during the Spanish civil war coming by boat to Southampton, there was a feature on that in the SeaCity museum. Plus they gave an award to Matt Le Tissier.

Not sure how long it would take, but how good would it be sailing from Portsmouth to Bilbao, I'm sure the locals would turn out to wave us off

that would be my choice, along with Hearts and Hertha Berlin in the group stage. Really interesting historic links between Southampton and Bilbao from the teams kits (which they got from us) and refugee children during the Spanish civil war coming by boat to Southampton, there was a feature on that in the SeaCity museum. Plus they gave an award to Matt Le Tissier.

Not sure how long it would take, but how good would it be sailing from Portsmouth to Bilbao, I'm sure the locals would turn out to wave us off

It's about 13 hours, isn't it?! :uhoh: :lol:

Spain loses a Europa League place regardless of which way the Copa del Rey final goes.

If Sevilla win it, 1) the cup winners in Greece get promoted to the group stage, 2) the cup winners in Cyprus get promoted to the 3rd qualifying round and 3) the cup winners in Serbia and Slovenia get promoted to the 2nd qualifying round.

Spain will only have Athletic Bilbao in the group stage and Celta Vigo in the 3rd qualifying round.

Thank you. This answer will allow me to not be tempted to research the question and answer it myself.

About that. I'm doing Santander next month - that's 12.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I should check again, it's a minimum of 24 hours on Brittany Ferries. Are you sure you're not goingt to o St Malo? ;)

Just a thought... If we did leave from Portsmouth do you think all the locals would come to the sail away to wish us all the best?

I should check again, it's a minimum of 24 hours on Brittany Ferries. Are you sure you're not goingt to o St Malo? ;)

Just a thought... If we did leave from Portsmouth do you think all the locals would come to the sail away to wish us all the best?

Just struggle with the 24 hour clock. I meant 24 hours. ?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

We played them in the UEFA Cup 1st Rd in 1971.

Beat them 2-1 at home, after being behind at half- time. Then lost 2-0 away.

Anyone from here go to the away leg of know what sort of following we took?

We really lucked out last season with the draw in terms of the ease of travel and relatively cheap travel. Hopefully we'll be fortunate again rather than getting a difficult to organise trip which requires visas or expensive flights to Eastern Europe.

Let's hope United win or we could have to play a very weakened side for the July game.

Players at the euros will still be on holiday I guess and then have to do a pre season.

At least we don't have to worry about players at the Copa America.

Apparently if West Ham qualify for the 3rd qualifying round then they'll have to find an alternate venue because the Olympic Stadium won't be ready in time

I bet it's because they don't want their first game at the stadium being against some Kazakhstani no hopers.

The fact that if Barcelona wins 1) does not happen implies that both Athletic Bilbao and Celta Vigo go into the group stage.

So Barcelona wins 2 teams into group stage

Sevilla wins 1 team into group stage ,1 team into 3rd qualifying round.

Apparently if West Ham qualify for the 3rd qualifying round then they'll have to find an alternate venue because the Olympic Stadium won't be ready in time

FatPipe Park? Be nice for the old girl to see a bit of European Football.

Might give the Albanian 3rd division runners up or whoever WHU would have to play a bit of an unfair advantage of being used to playing on dug up cabbage patches each week!!

giphy.gif

I apologize. I had 15 minutes to kill so I researched this. I am not clear why Celta Vigo would not qualify for the group phase. Wikipedia thinks they qualify for the group phase if Barcelona win the cup. I am not clear why they would not always qualify for the group phase. I agree that Spain loses a European spot but no matter what they get five clubs into the champions League with Villarreal entering in the play offs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%80%9317_UEFA_Europa_League#cnote_Note_ESP

I apologize. I had 15 minutes to kill so I researched this. I am not clear why Celta Vigo would not qualify for the group phase. Wikipedia thinks they qualify for the group phase if Barcelona win the cup. I am not clear why they would not always qualify for the group phase. I agree that Spain loses a European spot but no matter what they get five clubs into the champions League with Villarreal entering in the play offs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%80%9317_UEFA_Europa_League#cnote_Note_ESP

i have found a simple way of working out who qualifies for what if there is an EL or CL winner in a league. 8)

First work out qualification based only on domestic results.

Then award EL or CL winners their new status without modifying the status of any other team (in that league)

So for Spain:

Sevilla win the cup.

Domestically they get the first EL place(for winning the cup)(group stage) Villarreal the second(group stage) and Celta Vigo the third (qualif round).

Then Sevilla hop off to the CL leaving Villarreal and Celta viga in the same positions.

Barcelona win the cup.

Villareal get the first EL place (having finished 5th) Celta Vigo get the second and Sevilla get the third (having finished 7th).

Sevilla hop off to the CL leaving Villarreal and Celta Viga with the top two EL qualification places

Remember guys it's not guaranteed yet. If we vote to leave Euorpe then our Europa league places drop to drop one as UEFA only give none EU members one place, which will go to Man United as 5th placed side.

i have found a simple way of working out who qualifies for what if there is an EL or CL winner in a league. 8)

First work out qualification based only on domestic results.

Then award EL or CL winners their new status without modifying the status of any other team (in that league)

So for Spain:

Sevilla win the cup.

Domestically they get the first EL place(for winning the cup)(group stage) Villarreal the second(group stage) and Celta Vigo the third (qualif round).

Then Sevilla hop off to the CL leaving Villarreal and Celta viga in the same positions.

Barcelona win the cup.

Villareal get the first EL place (having finished 5th) Celta Vigo get the second and Sevilla get the third (having finished 7th).

Sevilla hop off to the CL leaving Villarreal and Celta Viga with the top two EL qualification places

That is a simple way and it may even be right with respect to spain this year but we know it is not always right because CL qualifications can cause another club to be demoted to the Europa League.

However, as you note your method would suggest that Celta Vigo would (as Wikipedia claims) qualify for the group phase of the Europa League if Barcelona wins the cup. My question is where do the rules say that? I can't find it.

So Standard Liege, Feyenoord and Viitorul Constanta/Lille please.

The respective coefficients make that draw impossible.

Remember guys it's not guaranteed yet. If we vote to leave Euorpe then our Europa league places drop to drop one as UEFA only give none EU members one place, which will go to Man United as 5th placed side.

I am confident that the full process of leaving Europe will not be completed in the next few months leaving this year's qualifications intact. But no doubt you were joking.

There were at least 15,000 more Saints fans in Wembley for the JPT than there are Liverpool fans in Basel's ground tonight.

Basel is a little further away from Liverpool .....than Wembley is from So'ton though .....not quite like driving up the motorway.

Edited by david in sweden

Remember guys it's not guaranteed yet.

If we vote to leave Euorpe then our Europa league places drop to drop one as UEFA only give none EU members one place, which will go to Man United as 5th placed side.

don't think this is a political decision - is it ?. Looking at countries like (non-EU Norway), the standard of their game doesn't warrant more than one place.

Don't Turkey have more than one spot ?....and they are non-EU.......

Sounds a bit like the Eurovison Song Contest which includes Austria (sorry Australia :D) Why not China?. Let's face it - who studies geography nowadays?.

Are you a speechwriter for David Cameron ? If not you should be. He'd love this scare factor to touch a chord with the ordinary bloke.

LVG gets the tin tack on winning the FA cup what a crazy sport we follow

Cant help thinking van Gaal has been handicapped by having Giggs imposed on him as assistant manager. Mourinhno has failed in his two previous jobs and has lost his golden touch imo - believing his own hype too much probably .

Cant help thinking van Gaal has been handicapped by having Giggs imposed on him as assistant manager. Mourinhno has failed in his two previous jobs and has lost his golden touch imo - believing his own hype too much probably .

Do wonder if we'll witness a 'Clough to Leeds' situation unfolding.

Hope so

Being that he won the league on both his previous jobs then I think Manchester United would accept that level of failure.

Being that he won the league on both his previous jobs then I think Manchester United would accept that level of failure.

But ended up being sacked / leaving by mutual consent (mostly the owners consent). Sure it might work out but its not too much of a stretch to see him doing for Man U next season what he did for Chelsea this.

But ended up being sacked / leaving by mutual consent (mostly the owners consent). Sure it might work out but its not too much of a stretch to see him doing for Man U next season what he did for Chelsea this.

Not much of a stretch to see them winning the league either.