Europa League qualification?

Monk

Can anybody please tell me the earliest date that our next European season might begin? There are holiday dates that some members of my family want me to fix and I would want to miss anything special.

Going by last season....end of July/first week of August for the Third qualifying round.

If we get a Utd win in the FA Cup, then we'll go straight into the Groups in September.

No idea why it wouldn't be appropriate, doesn't really make any difference.

If anything it will work to our advantage: United win the cup then they're on the beach. Perfect for us.

If they don't then, at worst, they'll be trying to win the match with the same intensity as they would have today to secure fifth, which is fair enough.

And, at best, LVG is as good as sacked regardless and the players won't really care.

In fact the more I think about it, we really want it played after the cup final.

If Utd win the cup it doesn't matter to us if they are on the beach or not for a Bournemouth match afterwards, because we would then be in the group stage anyway. But if they lose the final and play the re-scheduled match afterwards, they do have an incentive to play their strongest possible team, without worrying about injuries and suspensions for an upcoming final. Anyway, this is probably all moot, from reports it seems there isn't enough time to re-schedule before the final.

Can anybody please tell me the earliest date that our next European season might begin? There are holiday dates that some members of my family want me to fix and I would want to miss anything special.

don't know for sure.

.BUT if we have qualified outright for EL, then the qualification games must be played first. We had Vitesse last season, and the games v.Midtjylland were Aug 20 /27.

Guess it might be +/- a few days on those dates.

don't know for sure.

.BUT if we have qualified outright for EL, then the qualification games must be played first. We had Vitesse last season, and the games v.Midtjylland were Aug 20 /27.

Guess it might be +/- a few days on those dates.

Hmm... Thanks, gents, we shall just have to wait and see.

Perfect scenario:

Saints win, ManU and Spurs lose. Arsenal win, Wham draw.

Spuds lose 2nd to Arsenal

Saints 5th

Wham 6th

ManU 7th - nothing after Palace win Cup

Liverpool 8th - lose to Sevilla - nothing

MP poached by ManU. Takes players with him.

Could hope for Spuds points deduction, but that's probably pushing it too far. ?

Almost forgot. Skates lose playoffs (on pens would be funny), obviously. Brighton promoted would rub it in.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Got a remarkably high percentage result on this. ?

28 July 2016 if we Man U does not lose their last game or does not win the FA cup.

15 September 2016 otherwise.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2017/competitionformat/

I posted a discussion on my blog of our potential European Roster issues back in February. It is still basically correct, but a lot less hypothetical. It is here:

http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/2016/02/southampton-2016-2017-premier.html

Edited by Redslo
cut and paste fail had wrong link in first attempt

28 July 2016 if we Man U does not lose their last game or does not win the FA cup.

15 September 2016 otherwise.

Not quite.

If Bournemouth beat United, we finish 5th, and go into the group stages regardless of the FA Cup.

If United win the FA Cup, then we go into the group stages regardless of whether we finish 5th or 6th, as the FA Cup winners go into the group stage, and we will 'inherit' that EL spot should they finish 5th and win the cup. This would put West Ham into the 3rd qualifying round as the CO Cup winners spot drops to 7th.

The only way we go into the 3rd qualifying round is if United overtake us in the league, *and* Palace win the FA Cup - in which case United and Palace go into the group stage, and we 'inherit' City's League Cup EL spot. The League Cup winners go into the 3rd qualifying round.

Not quite.

If Bournemouth beat United, we finish 5th, and go into the group stages regardless of the FA Cup.

If United win the FA Cup, then we go into the group stages regardless of whether we finish 5th or 6th, as the FA Cup winners go into the group stage, and we will 'inherit' that EL spot should they finish 5th and win the cup. This would put West Ham into the 3rd qualifying round as the CO Cup winners spot drops to 7th.

The only way we go into the 3rd qualifying round is if United overtake us in the league, *and* Palace win the FA Cup - in which case United and Palace go into the group stage, and we 'inherit' City's League Cup EL spot. The League Cup winners go into the 3rd qualifying round.

Nice summary.

So, no matter what; we root for Bournemouth to win on Tuesday. That result will depend on who/if we root for on Saturday.

If ManU wins or draws Tuesday, we finish in 6th place and we root for ManU to win the FA Cup Saturday, which would get us into group stage.

If ManU loses Tuesday, we finish in 5th place, are automatically in the group stage and have no rooting interest; unless you feel 01) pretty strongly about sticking it to West Ham, 02) want to revel in ManU having to playing in a 3rd qualifying round or 3) like the idea of underdog Palace getting a trophy and group stage Europa.

Not quite.

That is what I said, other than the inexplicable "we" in the middle of my post.

That is what I said, other than the inexplicable "we" in the middle of my post.

You said or. If United get a point from Bournemouth or don't win the cup. Its and, not or. Both would have to happen, to ensure we don't qualify through either 5th place or inheriting the FA Cup winner's place.

You said or. If United get a point from Bournemouth or don't win the cup. Its and, not or. Both would have to happen, to ensure we don't qualify through either 5th place or inheriting the FA Cup winner's place.

You're right. No matter how many times I reread my post I kept reading "and" not "or". I mistyped it and never noticed thereafter. But at least I got the dates right. Also, I stand by my blog post.

just to make this clear, there is no scenario where it would be beneficial for saints by cheering on Liverpool this week?

Not for Saints. Liverpool winning won't lose anyone an EL place because Liverpool are out of the EL places.

If they lose, no Europe at all, which may or may not be bad for them.

However, for Liverpool to get into CL through the back door would massively p!ss off ManU, and probably Chelsea, so it depends who you hate most.

Edited by Shroppie

just to make this clear, there is no scenario where it would be beneficial for saints by cheering on Liverpool this week?

Correct.

Unless you subscribe to the theory that if they're not in Europe at all next season (which would be the case if they lose on Wednesday), they'd be pretty well placed to have a proper tilt at winning the title if they make a few key signings, whereas if they're juggling Champions League commitments as well, that could get in the way.

Only that our coefficient would improve if they win

It would improve very slightly for this coming season. It might also improve it more in the future depending on how well Liverpool did in the CL. As it is, all points earned by England clubs will be divided by 7 next season (because there are seven clubs in Europe). If Liverpool qualifies, the points would be divided by 8, but Liverpool would get 4 automatic points for making the CL group phase. Basically it would help if Liverpool earned more points than the average English club in Europe next year and it would hurt if they did not. This season they did. Last season they did not.

It would improve very slightly for this coming season. It might also improve it more in the future depending on how well Liverpool did in the CL. As it is, all points earned by England clubs will be divided by 7 next season (because there are seven clubs in Europe). If Liverpool qualifies, the points would be divided by 8, but Liverpool would get 4 automatic points for making the CL group phase. Basically it would help if Liverpool earned more points than the average English club in Europe next year and it would hurt if they did not. This season they did. Last season they did not.

I think we're both saying the same thing, but one of us doesn't bill in multiples of 6 minutes ;)

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

Yes it has improved. It will also improve if Liverpool win the Europa League

As it stands, our ranking is 16.756

For those people who are interested in more details as to how coefficients work, this web site has all the information you need.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/index.html

901c941c823a685f86622e9a2c0c14ee.jpg

The row 4 situation implies (a non cup winning) 5th won't qualify for Europe. While this appears to be the strict interpretation of the rules as they are currently written, I have a feeling UEFA didn't anticipate this happening (not for the first time) and would make an exception to let 5th into EL.

The row 4 situation implies (a non cup winning) 5th won't qualify for Europe. While this appears to be the strict interpretation of the rules as they are currently written, I have a feeling UEFA didn't anticipate this happening (not for the first time) and would make an exception to let 5th into EL.

UEFA have absolutely made it completely clear what would happen in this situation, and announced it before the semi-finals were even completed.

"How it could impact on associations' allocations

• Although no longer the case this season, it is theoretically possible for a country with a potential three UEFA Champions League places (currently Italy, Portugal or France) to up this number to five, a country with two places (e.g. Ukraine) to increase to four, or a country with one place to up it to three. This can only happen if the association in question has two clubs who win both major European club competitions but that also do not qualify via their own league.*

• Regarding the top three associations (i.e. Spain, Germany and England*): if two clubs from one of these countries win the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, and neither finish their domestic league in a position that qualifies them for the UEFA Champions League (something that had been possible in England with Manchester City and Liverpool), the following will happen:

– The club that won the UEFA Champions League will go straight into the group stage

– The UEFA Europa League winners will go into the UEFA Champions League play-offs

– The club that had qualified for a UEFA Champions League play-off spot via their domestic league competition (i.e. finished fourth) will transfer into the UEFA Europa League"

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2215121.html

901c941c823a685f86622e9a2c0c14ee.jpg

I think line 3 and 4 are wrong here. If the team that wins one of the European competitions and finishes outside the top 4 qualifies for Europe by cup or league finish, their European spot is not transferred to another club.

Also, the bottom line also applies if teams in the top six win the FA and Capital One cups.

I also have no idea why this is still being discussed.

Group stage if

Man U lose to Bournemouth OR if Man U win the FA Cup

3rd Qualifying Round if

Man U get at least a draw against Bournemouth and Palace win the FA Cup.

UEFA have absolutely made it completely clear what would happen in this situation, and announced it before the semi-finals were even completed.

"How it could impact on associations' allocations

• Although no longer the case this season, it is theoretically possible for a country with a potential three UEFA Champions League places (currently Italy, Portugal or France) to up this number to five, a country with two places (e.g. Ukraine) to increase to four, or a country with one place to up it to three. This can only happen if the association in question has two clubs who win both major European club competitions but that also do not qualify via their own league.*

• Regarding the top three associations (i.e. Spain, Germany and England*): if two clubs from one of these countries win the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, and neither finish their domestic league in a position that qualifies them for the UEFA Champions League (something that had been possible in England with Manchester City and Liverpool), the following will happen:

– The club that won the UEFA Champions League will go straight into the group stage

– The UEFA Europa League winners will go into the UEFA Champions League play-offs

– The club that had qualified for a UEFA Champions League play-off spot via their domestic league competition (i.e. finished fourth) will transfer into the UEFA Europa League"

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2215121.html

None of the above is in doubt, as row 4 shows. The situation they don't address is that 5th place (which is usually the highest placed EL qualifier) gets bumped out completely.

I think line 3 and 4 are wrong here. If the team that wins one of the European competitions and finishes outside the top 4 qualifies for Europe by cup or league finish, their European spot is not transferred to another club.

Also, the bottom line also applies if teams in the top six win the FA and Capital One cups.

I think that's because they haven't considered all permutations, and tried to keep it simple. For example, a CL winner outside the top 4 finishing in, or not in, an EL spot complicates things, and then they would have to add a load of extra lines just for that. Not to mention on top of that where the FA cup and Capital 1 cup winners finish. :?

No it doesn't. If a team in the top five wins the FA Cup that European spot moves to sixth place. The FA Cup winning team has already qualified for Europe in that scenario.

How do you manage to misunderstand so many things?

Row 4 doesn't exist?

It's wrong. The first non-Champions League place in the PL is a higher-ranking position than the winner of the second domestic cup competition (i.e. the League Cup), hence it getting an automatic group stage place whereas winning the League Cup only gets you into the qualifying rounds.

As an aside, it also requires English clubs to win both European cup competitions while simultaneously not qualifying for those competitions through normal means - pretty unlikely at the best of times, and as we only have one English team in a final, I think it's safe to assume it's not a scenario that anyone needs to worry about any time soon.

No it doesn't. If a team in the top five wins the FA Cup that European spot moves to sixth place. The FA Cup winning team has already qualified for Europe in that scenario.

Look at row 4 again. If it's correct (and I think it is), as I said, in that situation a non cup winning 5th team does NOT qualify for Europe. Do you see 5th place anywhere on row 4? Do you see an FA cup winner in the top 4 mentioned in row 4?

Edited by Dark Munster
Missed NOT

Look at row 4 again. If it's correct (and I think it is), as I said, in that situation a non cup winning 5th team does qualify for Europe. Do you see 5th place anywhere on row 4? Do you see an FA cup winner in the top 4 mentioned in row 4?

It literally doesn't matter. Your precious row 4 scenario is only for when BOTH European cups are won by English clubs.

It's wrong. The first non-Champions League place in the PL is a higher-ranking position than the winner of the second domestic cup competition (i.e. the League Cup), hence it getting an automatic group stage place whereas winning the League Cup only gets you into the qualifying rounds.

As an aside, it also requires English clubs to win both European cup competitions while simultaneously not qualifying for those competitions through normal means - pretty unlikely at the best of times, and as we only have one English team in a final, I think it's safe to assume it's not a scenario that anyone needs to worry about any time soon.

Steve, the point I'm simply making is that (unless they win a cup) the 5th placed team doesn't appear to qualify for Europe. Note the assumption is that the FA and Capital 1 cup winners finish below 5th and aren't the CL and EL winners (who also finish below 5th). I think that is how the rules are written.

Look at row 4 again. If it's correct (and I think it is), as I said, in that situation a non cup winning 5th team does qualify for Europe. Do you see 5th place anywhere on row 4? Do you see an FA cup winner in the top 4 mentioned in row 4?

Row four. Simple. If one of the top four win the FA Cup then it makes no difference, they qualify for the CL as normal (1,2,3 group stage then 4th into the play off). No change, either. That's on row four. Simple.

If 5th win the FA Cup it also makes no difference - the team in fifth qualify for the Europa League Group Stage either way. The reward for 5th place and FA Cup win is identical. It's on row 4. Clearly there. Simple. Row 4.

That row, row 4, it's very simple, is about the impact further down the table, it's about what happens to that slot if one of the top 4 or the team in 5th wins the FA Cup. It's about what happens to sixth and lower. Really simple. Really clear. Row 4.

Really simple, really clear. All there on row 4.

That row, really clearly, is entirely about a team in the top 5 winning a cup. It's actually what the row is named after. Really clear. Row 4. The title of row 4.

You are very special guy.

Edited by CB Fry

Steve, the point I'm simply making is that (unless they win a cup) the 5th placed team doesn't appear to qualify for Europe. Note the assumption is that the FA and Capital 1 cup winners finish below 5th and aren't the CL and EL winners (who also finish below 5th). I think that is how the rules are written.

The point you're making is the ultimate straw man argument, it's a non-point.

Firstly, as I said, that line is factually incorrect. The hierarchy of Europa League slots is that the highest non-Champions League-qualifying league position is first (group stage qualification), followed by the primary domestic cup winners, i.e. the FA Cup (also group stage qualification). In other countries, the third Europa League place always goes to the next highest league position, but England and France are exceptions as they have two domestic cups - for the winners of these, they get the third-ranked Europa League position, which is only to the third qualifying round. If the winner of one of the cups has already qualified for Europe via other means, that qualification spot goes to the next non-qualified team in the league - as it has always been for the League Cup place and as it has been for the last two years for the FA Cup (hence how we got in a year ago).

Secondly, again, that line in that (incorrect) table is irrelevant. "If teams outside top 4 wins UCL and UEL". Liverpool can win the Europa League, which gets a Champions League place. We do not have a team in the Champions League final.

Row four. Simple. If one of the top four win the FA Cup then it makes no difference, they qualify for the CL as normal (1,2,3 group stage then 4th into the play off). No change, either. That's on row four. Simple.

If 5th win the FA Cup it also makes no difference - the team in fifth qualify for the Europa League Group Stage either way. The reward for 5th place and FA Cup win is identical. It's on row 4. Clearly there. Simple. Row 4.

That row, row 4, it's very simple, is about the impact further down the table, it's about what happens to that slot if one of the top 4 or the team in 5th wins the FA Cup. It's about what happens to sixth and lower. Really simple. Really clear. Row 4.

Ok, let's try to make it a simple as possible, so maybe even you can understand. Sorry, I don't have crayon font, but I'll make it big for you. Suppose the following happens in the following league positions:

1. Don't win any cup

2. Don't win any cup

3. Don't win any cup

4. Don't win any cup

5. Don't win any cup

6. Win CL

7. Win EL

8. Win FA Cup

9. Win C1 Cup

Now the quiz:

1) Who qualifies for CL (either group or qualifying round)?

2) Who qualifies for EL (either group or qualifying round)?

3) BONUS QUESTION: Who doesn't qualify for anything?

Take your time.

That row, really clearly, is entirely about a team in the top 5 winning a cup. It's actually what the row is named after. Really clear. Row 4. The title of row 4.

OFF TOPIC:

It's just dawned on me that when people say that it really means "you're a f'ng idiot". :lol:

I've had that said to me that I'm special a few times by various people recently..and I thought "Wow Really?"

ahaha.

Sorry carry on... :lol:

Ok, let's try to make it a simple as possible, so maybe even you can understand. Sorry, I don't have crayon font, but I'll make it big for you. Suppose the following happens in the following league positions:

1. Don't win any cup

2. Don't win any cup

3. Don't win any cup

4. Don't win any cup

5. Don't win any cup

6. Win CL

7. Win EL

8. Win FA Cup

9. Win C1 Cup

Now the quiz:

1) Who qualifies for CL (either group or qualifying round)?

2) Who qualifies for EL (either group or qualifying round)?

3) BONUS QUESTION: Who doesn't qualify for anything?

Take your time.

What has that got to do with row 4, a row specifically about a top five team winning the FA Cup which you are complaining doesn't cover a top five team winning the FA cup?

Have you worked out that row 4 is fine yet?

Why? :?

That's not the scenario we're in, nor is it a scenario that's remotely likely.

But to hopefully shut you up so we can discuss the actual reality:

Q1: 1, 2, 6, 7 (group stage), 3 (qualifier)

Q2: 4, 8 (group stage), 5 (qualifier)

Q3: 9