Europa League qualification?

Monk

I have the same unfortunately, such a shame to have Liverpool just finishing above us once again!

I played around with a few scenarios but looking at fixtures of West Ham, Man Utd and Liverpool I just do not see us finishing above any of them.

I can't be bothered to run scenarios but I think that league table looks about right, and I think at the end of the season eighth place will be about right for us. In all honesty I am worried more about Chelsea having a strong finish and us puttering out allowing Stoke past us to leave us tenth far more than us storming up to sixth. But I think we will do okay and see it and eighth it is.

I can't be bothered to run scenarios but I think that league table looks about right, and I think at the end of the season eighth place will be about right for us. In all honesty I am worried more about Chelsea having a strong finish and us puttering out allowing Stoke past us to leave us tenth far more than us storming up to sixth. But I think we will do okay and see it and eighth it is.

But.... but.... ambition!!! If we don't finish sixth or above then CLEARLY we were never really trying too.

Or so we are told.

Can't see it, we'd have to win all our games and still rely on slip ups around us.

Looking at the fixtures I can see 12 points at the very best and realistically more like 7 or 8.

I think we'll finish 7/8th, Pool will overtake us whilst the only team I think we could overtake is West Ham.

Could be wrong though and this has been a bit of a topsy turvey season after all so whilst it's still mathematically possible the players should push for it.

If we win all our remaining games I reckon we can squeeze into 4th, might as well believe while it's possible. Hardest game will be Spurs obviously and also the game that us fans and our squad will want to win the most. Winning 8 of our last 9 while only losing to the champions seems impossible until it's done. That form would probably deserve at least a top 6 finish, I don't expect it to happen but I'll still believe while it is possible. My prediction is we'll finish 6th-8th...Hoping for a dream finish though of course.

We don't have the third best form - West Ham and Chelsea have played a match less than us and would be above us if they won it. Also, if we do the last 15 matches, we won our most recent one so we'd be 3 point worse off, and Liverpool have only got 14 games in that table and could also be above us with an equal number of games.

So potentially over the last 15 matches (which removes the imbalance of games played since Xmas) we might only actually be the 6th best. Or you could make it over 16 matches, in which case we're at worst 6th.

If we win all our remaining games I reckon we can squeeze into 4th, might as well believe while it's possible. Hardest game will be Spurs obviously and also the game that us fans and our squad will want to win the most. Winning 8 of our last 9 while only losing to the champions seems impossible until it's done. That form would probably deserve at least a top 6 finish, I don't expect it to happen but I'll still believe while it is possible. My prediction is we'll finish 6th-8th...Hoping for a dream finish though of course.

The best thing about the Spurs game is there's every possibility Leicester will have just won the league when we play Spurs.

Going with the most likely results, Leicester will win the title beating Everton on the day before we play Spurs. It'll be glorious if we walk into that wake, and I can't imagine the pious "Saints fans singing about Leicester winning the league" response will rear its head as much then... :D.

My idea of "most likely results", home team first:

Leicester draw with West Ham; Stoke lose to Spurs (Spurs gain 2 points)

Leicester beat Swansea; Spurs beat West Brom

Man U beat Leicester; Chelsea draw with Spurs. (Spurs gain 1 more point, having gained 3 on Leicester in total)

Leicester beat Everton in SNF at 1715, Spurs play Saints at 1330 on the Sunday - Leicester 7 clear (one game left) with Spurs only having 2 to play.

Of course if Spurs gain more than 1 point on Leicester in the interim despite Leicester having played one more game, they'll need to beat us to take it to the last game.

nice that we've got palace, villa and everton in next few games , then.

and with Palace and Everton as FA Cup Semi-finalists.....and with Man City still in CL makes you wonder what sort of teams they might out.

Villa are most certainly down (this weekend)....Palace and Everton are " safe " and City will have to think about holding onto 4th place. and going for the CL Final.

Using the predictor, I get....

Pos Team P GD Pts

1 Leicester 38 +29 81

2 Tottenham 38 +41 78

3 Man City 38 +34 75

4 Arsenal 38 +26 74

5 West Ham 38 +16 64

6 Man Utd 38 +12 64

7 Liverpool 38 +12 62

8 Southampton 38 +12 57

9 Chelsea 38 +10 55

10 Stoke 38 -5 54

11 Everton 38 +8 47

12 Bournemouth 38 -16 46

13 Swansea 38 -10 44

14 Watford 38 -9 42

15 West Brom 38 -14 42

16 Crystal Palace 38 -15 38

17 Norwich 38 -26 32

18 Sunderland 38 -26 32

19 Newcastle 38 -34 29

20 Aston Villa 38 -45 18

I predicted similar too, with us finishing 8th on 57 points. The only real differences were that I had United ahead of West Ham and Sunderland finishing ahead of Norwich to escape relegation.

If Liverpool do not win the EL, Man Utd win the FA cup and finish 4th, and Man City win the UCL and finish 5th (or 6th or 7th), would the the final league table look like this in terms of qualification?

1st UCL

2nd UCL

3rd UCL

4th Man Utd UCL

5th Man City UCL

6th EL

7th EL

8th EL

EDIT - oh, I think it's been answered already earlier in the thread. Never mind..

Edited by LVSaint

If Liverpool do not win the EL, Man Utd win the FA cup and finish 4th, and Man City win the UCL and finish 5th (or 6th or 7th), would the the final league table look like this in terms of qualification?

1st UCL

2nd UCL

3rd UCL

4th Man Utd UCL

5th Man City UCL

6th EL

7th EL

8th EL

EDIT - oh, I think it's been answered already earlier in the thread. Never mind..

Or this

1st Tottenham CL Through League

2nd Leicester CL Through League

3rd Man City CL Through League

4th Arsenal CL Through League

5th Liverpool CL Through Winning Europa League

6th Man Utd CL Through Winning FA Cup

7th West Ham EL in Place of Liverpool

8th Southampton EL in Place of Man Utd

Or this

1st Tottenham CL Through League

2nd Leicester CL Through League

3rd Man City CL Through League

4th Arsenal CL Through League

5th Liverpool CL Through Winning Europa League

6th Man Utd CL Through Winning FA Cup

7th West Ham EL in Place of Liverpool

8th Southampton EL in Place of Man Utd

yes in a nutshell.... the only realistic way Saints are going to play in Europe , is if Liverpool win the cup.... in which case its 5 for CL and the next three for the Europa....

yes in a nutshell.... the only realistic way Saints are going to play in Europe , is if Liverpool win the cup.... in which case its 5 for CL and the next three for the Europa....

Why is Liverpool finishing 5th & winning the Europa League more realistic than Saints overtaking a West Ham side only 2 points ahead of them and getting 7th? West Ham & Man Utd's game in hand is against each other, they can't both win it.

Why is Liverpool finishing 5th & winning the Europa League more realistic than Saints overtaking a West Ham side only 2 points ahead of them and getting 7th? West Ham & Man Utd's game in hand is against each other, they can't both win it.

Hi Matthew,

i'd invite you to come back here on Thursday morning to have this conversation, by then i anticipate ;

West Ham will win at home to Watford

Liverpool will win at home to Everton

Man Utd will win at home to Crystal Palace.

Liverpool will be 3 points clear of us with a game in hand, West Ham will be 5 points clear of us with a better goal diff and Man Utd will be 8 points clear of us.

that will provide better context for this conversation.

i stand by my opinion that our European chances have gone, would be very happy to be proved wrong.

On the other hand, Liverpool's victory helps England's UEFA coefficient making it less likely Italy will take away the fourth champions League spot for 2018-2019. (It is already safe for 2017-2018.)

No-one will care about that until Leicester balls up in 2016/17 and they'll get the blame when it happens.

FWIW the BBC site is very clear that if City win CL and Liverpool win EL, there are only 3 CL places apart from that, so in Dan Johnson's scenario, Arsenal in 4th go into the Europa League along with Man U (FA Cup Winners) and West Ham (7th and taking Man City's League Cup winning EL place because they've made the CL).

FWIW the BBC site is very clear that if City win CL and Liverpool win EL, there are only 3 CL places apart from that, so in Dan Johnson's scenario, Arsenal in 4th go into the Europa League along with Man U (FA Cup Winners) and West Ham (7th and taking Man City's League Cup winning EL place because they've made the CL).

But City would have to finsih outside of the CL place for that scenario to make any difference really. The only team that this would effect in the case of City winning the CL and Liverpool winning the EL would be Utd if they eventually overtake City and finish 4th because they sure as hell won't catch Arsenal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%80%9317_UEFA_Europa_League

If the Champions League title holders or the Europa League title holders have qualified for the Europa League through domestic performance, their berth in the Europa League is vacated (not replaced by another team from the same association), and cup winners of the highest-ranked associations are moved to a later round accordingly.

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/executive-committee/news/newsid=2226990.html

"a number of competition regulations were approved by the Executive Committee, including those for the 2015–18 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League. Mr Infantino made one clarification in terms of positions available in UEFA's club competitions for the new cycle.

"Clubs winning either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa League," he said, "will not add an extra place to the total number of places available for that association in the subsequent club competition season – with one exception.

"The only time an association can gain an additional place in the subsequent season's club competitions will be if one of their clubs wins either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa League and, at the same time, does not finish in a place in their domestic league or domestic cup which automatically grants a place in a UEFA club competition.

"It should also be stated," he added, "that an association with, for example, four places in the UEFA Champions League can increase their participation to five places should a club from their association win the UEFA Europa League in the previous season.

"If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Champions League via their domestic league, then the association remains with four places in the UEFA Champions League. If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Europa League via their domestic league, it results in five clubs participating in the UEFA Champions League, and two – not three – participating in the UEFA Europa League."

To me this says "the only circumstance on which there can be more than 7 qualifiers is if City and Liverpool win the Euro Cups AND Liverpool come outside the EL positions" - in which case we will probably have finished above Liverpool and qualified anyway (Stoke aside). Even then I'm not completely convinced of what would happen...

To me this says "the only circumstance on which there can be more than 7 qualifiers is if City and Liverpool win the Euro Cups AND Liverpool come outside the EL positions" - in which case we will probably have finished above Liverpool and qualified anyway (Stoke aside). Even then I'm not completely convinced of what would happen...

The rules, as I read them, are not completely clear but I think how it works is that the seven clubs who qualify for Europe through domestic competitions will get to play in Europe no matter what. It is possible that the fourth place league finisher will get moved to the Europa League under certain circumstances. If I am right, it means that 8th place will never qualify (or 7th place will never qualify, if the FA Cup winner is not in the top six). On the other hand, if Liverpool and Manchester City both finish in 8th place or lower, England should end up with 9 clubs in Europe, five in the Champions League (top three, Liverpool, and Manchester City) and four in Europa League (4,5, and 6, plus FA Cup winner). I could be wrong because Manchester City qualifying for the Europa League by winning the League cup might take away one of the Europa League spots.

The rules, as I read them, are not completely clear but I think how it works is that the seven clubs who qualify for Europe through domestic competitions will get to play in Europe no matter what. It is possible that the fourth place league finisher will get moved to the Europa League under certain circumstances. If I am right, it means that 8th place will never qualify (or 7th place will never qualify, if the FA Cup winner is not in the top six). On the other hand, if Liverpool and Manchester City both finish in 8th place or lower, England should end up with 9 clubs in Europe, five in the Champions League (top three, Liverpool, and Manchester City) and four in Europa League (4,5, and 6, plus FA Cup winner). I could be wrong because Manchester City qualifying for the Europa League by winning the League cup might take away one of the Europa League spots.

I don't fully understand the rules either, but there's no way we'll have nine clubs in Europe.

4 CL and 3 EL in a standard season.

Or, if Liverpool win the EL then 5 CL and 3 EL

Or if Man City win the CL and Liverpool then the total doesn't change, it just gets shifted about a bit and 4th gets EL instead of CL. Still 5 and 3.

This isn't quite a fun as last year's FA Cup runners up stuff it's fair to say.

City having already won the League Cup have guaranteed at least a Europa place so them winning the CL just converts that EL place into a 5th CL one as described above, for 5+2. If Liverpool win the EL and take a CL place too the CL 5 are the top 3 plus the CL and EL winners, Liverpool in that situation would add a EL place as long as they didn't qualify for EL in their league position (for 5+3). If they finished in an EL position it would remain 5+2. Man U winning the FA Cup would just get an EL place of the 3, unless they qualified for the CL already, in which case that slot would become the second-highest Prem place for a non-CL qualifier behind the team that came 4th.

"The only time an association can gain an additional place in the subsequent season's club competitions will be if one of their clubs wins either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa League and, at the same time, does not finish in a place in their domestic league or domestic cup which automatically grants a place in a UEFA club competition...

"If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Champions League via their domestic league, then the association remains with four places in the UEFA Champions League. If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Europa League via their domestic league, it results in five clubs participating in the UEFA Champions League, and two – not three – participating in the UEFA Europa League."

I'm going to try and stick it into a spreadsheet to make sense of it but there are a lot of permutations.

Edited by The9

The top 6 teams will definitely qualify for Europe. 7th can only qualify for Europe if Utd win the cup and finish in the top 6. That's all we need to know for Saints.

For those interested in the fine details here's the breakdown. Assuming City finish in the top 6. If they don't win the CL then:

If Liverpool win the EL and finish outside a EL spot they go into the CL as an extra European (CL) spot for the PL. Thus we get 5 CL + 3 EL.

If Liverpool win the EL and finish in a EL spot but not in the top 4, then that spot is converted to CL. No extra EL spot to compensate, thus we get 5 CL + 2 EL.

If Liverpool don't win the EL (or win it and also finish top 4) then we get the standard 4 CL + 3 EL.

If City do win the CL nothing changes from above, unless they finish outside the top 4. If they finish outside top 4 but in a EL spot then that spot again gets changed to a CL spot. Then we get 5 CL + 2 EL. If Liverpool also win the EL and finish below 4th, then the 4th placed team is unlucky and they get one of the ELs instead of the CL, and it's still 5 CL + 2 EL.

One thing I'm not sure about is if Liverpool and City win the EL and CL respectively, and both finish lower than 6th. Won't happen of course, but bear with me. Then they both qualify for CL, along with the top 3 in the league. If Palace (say) win the cup, they get one EL spot. That leaves just 2 more spots, for 4th and 5th. Which means 6th is S.O.L. Unless in this situation the PL gets 5 CL + 4 EL??

Edited by Dark Munster

If Palace (say) win the cup, they get one EL spot. That leaves just 2 more spots, for 4th and 5th. Which means 6th is S.O.L. Unless in this situation the PL gets 5 CL + 4 EL??

Why would that happen?

We get three EL spots, only one of them is directly related to league finish - 5th in a normal season.

The other two are for the cup winners. If the cup winners are also top five (not top six) then the EL places start to move down the league spots.

It's always been the case that sixth and seventh have to hope a big club wins the cups or they win the cup themselves.

The top 6 teams will definitely qualify for Europe. 7th can only qualify for Europe if Utd win the cup and finish in the top 6.

Not true, Man City already won the League Cup and could still come 7th, which would leave 6th without a place if Man U won the FA Cup and finished 8th. :D

Apart from that, you just said exactly what I did.

The top 6 teams will definitely qualify for Europe. 7th can only qualify for Europe if Utd win the cup and finish in the top 6. That's all we need to know for Saints.

For those interested in the fine details here's the breakdown. Assuming City finish in the top 6. If they don't win the CL then:

If Liverpool win the EL and finish outside a EL spot they go into the CL as an extra European (CL) spot for the PL. Thus we get 5 CL + 3 EL.

If Liverpool win the EL and finish in a EL spot but not in the top 4, then that spot is converted to CL. No extra EL spot to compensate, thus we get 5 CL + 2 EL.

If Liverpool don't win the EL (or win it and also finish top 4) then we get the standard 4 CL + 3 EL.

If City do win the CL nothing changes from above, unless they finish outside the top 4. If they finish outside top 4 but in a EL spot then that spot again gets changed to a CL spot. Then we get 5 CL + 2 EL. If Liverpool also win the EL and finish below 4th, then the 4th placed team is unlucky and they get one of the ELs instead of the CL, and it's still 5 CL + 2 EL.

One thing I'm not sure about is if Liverpool and City win the EL and CL respectively, and both finish lower than 6th. Won't happen of course, but bear with me. Then they both qualify for CL, along with the top 3 in the league. If Palace (say) win the cup, they get one EL spot. That leaves just 2 more spots, for 4th and 5th. Which means 6th is S.O.L. Unless in this situation the PL gets 5 CL + 4 EL??

I think that is correct. But if the same thing happened except that Tottenham had won the league cup instead of Man City, then 6th place would still qualify for the EL and it would be 5 and 4. But I might be wrong.

Edited by Redslo

Where are people getting the fourth Europa League place from? I'm not seeing it anywhere, and I can only see it as (maximum) 5+3, with the team in fourth getting the league based EL spot (the one usually for the team in fifth) with the other two for the two cup winners*.

*yes, I know.

Why would that happen?

We get three EL spots, only one of them is directly related to league finish - 5th in a normal season.

The other two are for the cup winners. If the cup winners are also top five (not top six) then the EL places start to move down the league spots.

It's always been the case that sixth and seventh have to hope a big club wins the cups or they win the cup themselves.

True, but that's because City won the League cup to free one spot, which somewhat obscures my point. If lower placed teams win both cups, and PL teams win both El and CL and finish 6th or lower, then the top 3 would join those two in the CL, and the 2 cup winners along with 4th would be in the EL. In that case 5th would not qualify for Europe, unless we get 5 CL + 4 EL (which I don't think we do). If that's the rule, it does seem to punish 5th for the success of the PL teams in Europe.

Not true, Man City already won the League Cup and could still come 7th, which would leave 6th without a place if Man U won the FA Cup and finished 8th. :D

Apart from that, you just said exactly what I did.

Yes I am making the bold assumption that City will finish higher than 7th. :)

True, but that's because City won the League cup to free one spot, which somewhat obscures my point. If lower placed teams win both cups, and PL teams win both El and CL and finish 6th or lower, then the top 3 would join those two in the CL, and the 2 cup winners along with 4th would be in the EL. In that case 5th would not qualify for Europe, unless we get 5 CL + 4 EL (which I don't think we do). If that's the rule, it does seem to punish 5th for the success of the PL teams in Europe.

Maybe - fourth punished as well if both EL and CL are won by English teams. Just how it goes.

Suppose it reiterates why the cups have value. Win either cup and you are in Europe come what may.

http://talksport.com/football/europa-league-and-champions-league-qualification-what-finishing-fourth-fifth-sixth-seventh?

Eighth place in the Premier League will definitely provide Europa League qualification if...

Liverpool win the Europa League and finish seventh in the Premier League AND Manchester United win the FA Cup and finish in the top six in the Premier League AND Manchester City qualify for the Champions League (either finishing top four or winning the Champions League itself)

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/europa-league-and-champions-league-qualification-what-finishing-fourth-fifth-sixth-seventh#5W6yQipozbSszAbq.99

http://talksport.com/football/europa-league-and-champions-league-qualification-what-finishing-fourth-fifth-sixth-seventh?

Eighth place in the Premier League will definitely provide Europa League qualification if...

Liverpool win the Europa League and finish seventh in the Premier League AND Manchester United win the FA Cup and finish in the top six in the Premier League AND Manchester City qualify for the Champions League (either finishing top four or winning the Champions League itself)

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/europa-league-and-champions-league-qualification-what-finishing-fourth-fifth-sixth-seventh#5W6yQipozbSszAbq.99

Well, I'm glad you found it for the sake of discussion, but I literally can't think of a less reliable source than Talksh111te. However, for once they might be right...

Bit more detail:

Fourth place in the Premier League will definitely provide Europa League qualification if...

Manchester City win the Champions League but finish outside the Premier League top four (unless Liverpool finish fourth and win the Europa League)

Fifth place in the Premier League will definitely provide Europa League qualification if...

Manchester City don't win the Champions League

Sixth place in the Premier League will definitely provide Europa League qualification if...

Manchester City finish in the Premier League top four

Seventh place in the Premier League will definitely provide Europa League qualification if...

Manchester United win the FA Cup and finish in the top six, and Manchester City finish in the top five

Clubs definitely CANNOT qualify for the Europa League by...

Finishing as runners up in the FA Cup final or via the 'Fair Play' league.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/europa-league-and-champions-league-qualification-what-finishing-fourth-fifth-sixth-seventh#y6gOGm42Y10iLrX3.99

Edited by The9