Europa League qualification?

Monk

Looking good this morning. If we win against Palace, we finish at least 7th because Liverpool could not catch us. To stop us moving up to 6th, West Ham have to win at Stoke because if they draw we will be ahead of them on goal difference. So beat Palace and 6th or 7th is assured.

Looking good this morning. If we win against Palace, we finish at least 7th because Liverpool could not catch us. To stop us moving up to 6th, West Ham have to win at Stoke because if they draw we will be ahead of them on goal difference. So beat Palace and 6th or 7th is assured.

But what happens if they win the cup and we finish 7th I dont think we qualify for the EL

We really need Man U to lose or West Ham not to win and us to win on Saturday to Qualify for the El

Otherwise we will have to support Man U in Cup final I really would like Palace to win the cup they did knock us out.

Sorry guys, one last time, what happens IF Liverpool finish 8th and win Europa League, and we finish 7th + Man U win FA Cup?

My guess is we don't qualify because otherwise there would be 8 teams from England in Europe as shown below:

1) Leicester- CL

2) Spurs- CL

3) Arsenal- CL

4) Man City- CL Play-Off

5) Manchester United- Europa League Group Stage

6) WHU- Europa League Group Stage

7) Saints- Europa League Third Round Qualifying OR NOTHING?

8: Liverpool- CL because they won EL 2015/16

Does this mean we lose our spot?

Thanks in advance.

NO IT DOES NOT. The all caps was initially a mistake, but I decided to go with it.

But what happens if they win the cup and we finish 7th I dont think we qualify for the EL

We really need Man U to lose or West Ham not to win and us to win on Saturday to Qualify for the El

Otherwise we will have to support Man U in Cup final I really would like Palace to win the cup they did knock us out.

As repeatedly stated above, no this is not true. If we finish 7th and MU win the cup we qualify for EL just like we did this past year (except it was Arsenal that won the cup).

Edited by Redslo

Perfect scenario:

Saints win, ManU and Spurs lose. Arsenal win, Wham draw.

Spuds lose 2nd to Arsenal

Saints 5th

Wham 6th

ManU 7th - nothing after Palace win Cup

Liverpool 8th - lose to Sevilla - nothing

MP poached by ManU. Takes players with him.

Could hope for Spuds points deduction, but that's probably pushing it too far. ?

Almost forgot. Skates lose playoffs (on pens would be funny), obviously. Brighton promoted would rub it in.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Perfect scenario:

Saints 5th

Wham 6th

Could hope for Spuds points deduction, but that's probably pushing it too far.

Almost forgot. Skates lose playoffs (on pens would be funny), obviously. Brighton promoted would rub it in.

You forgot 'Kelly Brook arrives at door with curry and lager'

Perfect scenario:

Saints 5th

Wham 6th

This... :lol:

Perfect scenario:

Saints 5th

Wham 6th

Ian Branfoot comes out of retirement to manage Spurs?

Perfect scenario:

Saints 5th

Wham 6th

I have got my ticket for Pompey's second leg against Argyle on Sunday. Wouldn't mind it going to pens and Argyle winning, then I can start singing the "special version" of Amarillo all by myself and see the look of bemusement at all the other fans around me:lol:

Really looking forward to the Palace game. Actually a very exciting end to the season for a change. If we manage to get 5th that would be the icing on the cake!

NO IT DOES NOT. The all caps was initially a mistake, but I decided to go with it.

As repeatedly stated above, no this is not true. If we finish 7th and MU win the cup we qualify for EL just like we did this past year (except it was Arsenal that won the cup).

I know but what happens if Palace win the cup and we finish 7th

I know but what happens if Palace win the cup and we finish 7th

Nada. Nothing for us but Palace get an EL place that is righfuilly ours. So the best strategy is to cripple half their team on Sunday whilst sticking a dozen goals past them.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
spelling

Perfect scenario:

Saints 5th

Wham 6th

Could hope for Spuds points deduction, but that's probably pushing it too far. ?

Mauricio Pochettino has signed a new five-year contract with Tottenham Hotspur, the club have announced.

1 down, let's hope the rest come true.

Mauricio Pochettino has signed a new five-year contract with Tottenham Hotspur, the club have announced.

1 down, let's hope the rest come true.

Even bigger blow when it's bought out. ?

Nada. Nothing for us but Palace get and EL place that is righfuilly ours. So the best strategy is to cripple half their team on Sunday whilst sticking a dozen goals past them.

That's why the two results we really need is for Saints to win and WHam not to win. That guarantees EL. Finish below WHU and we rely on ManU winning the Cup, and they cant be relied on.

That's why the two results we really need is for Saints to win and WHam not to win. That guarantees EL. Finish below WHU and we rely on ManU winning the Cup, and they cant be relied on.

True. It even guarantees us group phase entry into the EL. A Man U loss, if we win, also guarantees EL but only into the 3rd playoff round.

First and foremost we need to win (though Palace with nothing to play for and a cup coming up AND at home it's as easy a premier league fixture as you will probably get) then it's West Ham fail to win/Man U lose and we've had a fantastic season.

6th, record points haul and Europa League (with no need to qualify)

True. It even guarantees us group phase entry into the EL. A Man U loss, if we win, also guarantees EL but only into the 3rd playoff round.

Not sure that we get into the group stage if we're 6th and Palace. Win the Cup. 6th would then be in lieu of Capital Cup and that's qualifying. FA Cup is group stage

Not sure that we get into the group stage if we're 6th and Palace. Win the Cup. 6th would then be in lieu of Capital Cup and that's qualifying. FA Cup is group stage

This is correct.

with united being as terrible as they are. every chance palace will win it

They are tosh, which is why I'm really hoping we get 6th. Having to go via a third qualifier as opposed to the groups isn't as bad as missing out all together!

I'm not ITK but have a theory that the French totty from the sports store might be a little too demanding.

Or maybe van Puttynose could just be the wrong manager for him.

Whatever the reason might be for his definite loss of form I hope he regains it sometime soon as he always put in for

Saints.

I'm not ITK but have a theory that the French totty from the sports store might be a little too demanding.

Or maybe van Puttynose could just be the wrong manager for him.

Whatever the reason might be for his definite loss of form I hope he regains it sometime soon as he always put in for

Saints.

Wrong thread? ?

This is correct.

You are both right. I messed up by assuming the Man U would beat Palace in FA cup. What I said was only true if that happened.

It's a rather silly tie-breaker. If teams are tied on points, goal difference and goals scored, instead of an extra match to decide who qualifies, why not simply use head to head of their two matches in the league as the next tie-breaker (with away goals counting double if necessary)? If that doesn't separate them, then fine, have a one-off match at a neutral ground.

Edit: I noticed that if Liverpool and West Ham do end up with the same points etc. it would mean Liverpool would have won 1 more game (and West Ham 3 more draws). So that's another tie-breaker: most wins.

Edited by Dark Munster

It's a rather silly tie-breaker. If teams are tied on points, goal difference and goals scored, instead of an extra match to decide who qualifies, why not simply use head to head of their two matches in the league as the next tie-breaker (with away goals counting double if necessary)? If that doesn't separate them, then fine, have a one-off match at a neutral ground.

Edit: I noticed that if Liverpool and West Ham do end up with the same points etc. it would mean Liverpool would have won 1 more game (and West Ham 3 more draws). So that's another tie-breaker: most wins.

We might have faced a similar situation a few seasons ago when we and Coventry had identical records near the end of the season. Thankfully it never came to this.

P.S. If Liverpool draws 0-0, and we lose 7-9 against Palace, we'll have identical records with Liverpool in 7th place too. ;)

In this case Liverpool will go through because they are the greatest team in history, have the bestest fans outside of Pompey and because Stevie G used to play for them. Do you know nothing?

Pretty confident we will win today, although I expect the other teams around us too. Just to clarify for the 1000th time, if the positions stay the same, we will need a Utd cup win to make enter Europa qualifiers?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Pretty confident we will win today, although I expect the other teams around us too. Just to clarify for the 1000th time, if the positions stay the same, we will need a Utd cup win to make enter Europa qualifiers?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Yep

So for clarification,

Bournemouth win against United and we finish 5th with guaranteed Europa League group stages, no qualification;

United win or draw against BOurnemouth and we finish 6th, putting us into the qualifying rounds (unless United win the cup where we go straight into the group stages...)

We're still supporting United in the cup then...

So for clarification,

Bournemouth win against United and we finish 5th with guaranteed Europa League group stages, no qualification;

United win or draw against BOurnemouth and we finish 6th, putting us into the qualifying rounds (unless United win the cup where we go straight into the group stages...)

We're still supporting United in the cup then...

Yes, it looks like it. Unless Bournemouth can do us a favour.

The good news is that Utd will go into their rescheduled match against Bournemouth with less than 6 days before the final, and knowing that they cannot make the top 4, and at worst will finish 6th. Which points to them having both eyes on the final. And maybe LVG will rest key players and play a number of kids.

Depends when the Bournemouth v United game is rearranged for tbf - might be after the Final in which case come on you plastics!

Given that the result of the final has EL implications, it wouldn't be appropriate for it to occur after the final. Also, it would mean more rest for the Utd players. Of course, the opposite is true if it's played before the final. I would guess on Tuesday if it does get played this week.

Edited by Dark Munster

Given that the result of the final has EL implications, it wouldn't be appropriate for it to occur after the final. Also, it would mean more rest for the Utd players. Of course, the opposite is true if it's played before the final. I would guess on Tuesday if it does get played this week.

No idea why it wouldn't be appropriate, doesn't really make any difference.

If anything it will work to our advantage: United win the cup then they're on the beach. Perfect for us.

If they don't then, at worst, they'll be trying to win the match with the same intensity as they would have today to secure fifth, which is fair enough.

And, at best, LVG is as good as sacked regardless and the players won't really care.

In fact the more I think about it, we really want it played after the cup final.

Edited by CB Fry

They said on Sky that there is no chance of it being played before the Cup final and it could be as late as 2 weeks away.

With the Euros and all the other stuff hanging around my guess would be the Monday or Tuesday night after the cup.

They said on Sky that there is no chance of it being played before the Cup final and it could be as late as 2 weeks away.

With the Euros and all the other stuff hanging around my guess would be the Monday or Tuesday night after the cup.

Collymore just said on Talk Arsenal that it's going to be this tuesday at 8...