Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

I really don't see what Redknapp has said that's so wrong. I agree absolutely word for word. Some of our fans are too precious.

"I'm not sure the Virgil van Dijk story is finished. I still think there's a little bit left to go with that one."

"Liverpool have obviously pulled back at the moment but I still see Van Dijk moving. He wants to play for Jurgen Klopp and I wouldn't be surprised to see Liverpool signing him."

"That could be one of the signings of the summer because he would make such a difference. He's colossal."

"He's fantastic defensively, good great forward, he scores goals and I think he's exactly what Liverpool need."

"If they can find a way of getting him in a red shirt next season that would be a great signing for them."

Nail, head. And don't give me all that pony about "he's not said anything". If he didn't want to go, he'd have come out and said that. The fact that nobody else appears interested suggests to me they know they can't get him (and not because we won't sell). Like it or not, he wants to play for Liverpool next season and not us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yet none of that matters if the club just says no. What Liverpool and VVD want doesn't come in to it when he is only one year into a nice long contract. For once saints hold all the cards they just need to show some balls to go with their winning hand.

You might note that in all these articles, £70-75m isn't mentioned. £50-60m is and that a deal is still on the cards. But there is an arrogance (?) that seems to disregard our asking price and that it is all but a fait accompli.

It's quite simple to me. Liverpool received a suspended punishment for tapping up this youngster and then during the suspension period have been caught tapping up VVD. They should receive a transfer embargo for one year, but we all know this won't happen.

Well not so sure that is actually true....

Fonte was clearly declining rapidly - ask West Ham fans what they think about him!!!

I agree he was declining . In fact I was abused by the usual suspects for mentioning it before last season .

His form at a new club is irrelevant though . Many on here state that you need at least a season to settle in to a new club ?

Well not so sure that is actually true....

Fonte was clearly declining rapidly - ask West Ham fans what they think about him!!!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The article states:

That seems more than a little naughty to me. What a lovely football club.

The PL seem incapable (or disinterested) of independent judgement of these allegations and it is high time an independent enquiry of this sort of corruption football was set up by the FA under the auspices of a high court judge under oath and legal redress.

The PL needs the "glamour" clubs to sell the product overseas. Liverpool are the 2nd biggest glamour club (after Man Utd, although some no doubt would prob argue that their appeal overseas is bigger) and hitting them with a punishment that would harm their competitiveness would not be good for the PL's business.

The PL needs the "glamour" clubs to sell the product overseas. Liverpool are the 2nd biggest glamour club (after Man Utd, although some no doubt would prob argue that their appeal overseas is bigger) and hitting them with a punishment that would harm their competitiveness would not be good for the PL's business.

Exactly. The Premier League being run like a business (and a successful one, admittedly), means that sporting considerations play second fiddle. There's an increasing shift from footballer "supporters" to football "consumers", and most of the latter follow the big clubs.

VVD's latest likes on twitter. Doesn't look great:

I expect wonderful things to happen

I have the favor of God. Blessings are chasing me down. The right people are searching me out. New opportunities new levels are in my future

The suit says **** you

https://twitter.com/VirgilvDijk/likes

Footballers are generally a pretty thick bunch, maybe they should stop trying to be so 'cryptic' and clever on social media, when they are actually just self-entitled overpaid idiots.

If leaving Southampton was so important to him, why sign a new contract which would make that harder? Oh that's right, more money, and probably because his agent told him to. Add "being a bunch of f*cking puppets" to the list of things (most) footballers are. They want to have their cake and eat it. Really hope the club don't let it happen. Not to scouse-land anyway.

Footballers are generally a pretty thick bunch, maybe they should stop trying to be so 'cryptic' and clever on social media, when they are actually just self-entitled overpaid idiots.

If leaving Southampton was so important to him, why sign a new contract which would make that harder? Oh that's right, more money, and probably because his agent told him to. Add "being a bunch of f*cking puppets" to the list of things (most) footballers are. They want to have their cake and eat it. Really hope the club don't let it happen. Not to scouse-land anyway.

Not that VvD has posted any of the things quoted by breeza, they are likes of quotes by a boxer (Conor McGregor), a recording artist (Gucci Mane) and a so-called motivational quote. The only slightly concerning one is a like for Jamie Carragher for a comment about Sky's new PL (Liverpool) channel. VvD is not trying to be cryptic or clever. People reading too much into something they clearly don't understand.

Not that VvD has posted any of the things quoted by breeza, they are likes of quotes by a boxer (Conor McGregor), a recording artist (Gucci Mane) and a so-called motivational quote. The only slightly concerning one is a like for Jamie Carragher for a comment about Sky's new PL (Liverpool) channel. VvD is not trying to be cryptic or clever. People reading too much into something they clearly don't understand.

I admit I was letting off a bit of a steam in my previous post! I've been fairly nonchalant about all this stuff but the idea of him forcing a move to Liverpool is finally getting under my skin... I'm just so sick of the state of the game now, particularly with the influence of agents. The McGregor tweet means nothing, but the other two are pretty suspect, surely you can see that?

My criticism is specifically levelled at VVD, although obviously that's what I was reacting to. Footballers have a platform on social media, and I'm not sure they're ready for that. Let their platform be the football pitch and leave it there.

Maybe he is not relishing the thought of a Stephens/Yoshida partnership?

IMO The ideal outcome would be for us to keep him here until at least January. Buy someone like Wimmer to partner him. (Never know if we look likely to finish high in the league that may encourage him to stay until next summer ) Especially if Liverpool fail to qualify for the CL.

What we can't do is to let him and Liverpool win this standoff, otherwise we will be saying to all our players, and rival clubs, it's open season for any of our squad. We have to stop this perception of us as a selling club.

Exactly. The Premier League being run like a business (and a successful one, admittedly), means that sporting considerations play second fiddle. There's an increasing shift from footballer "supporters" to football "consumers", and most of the latter follow the big clubs.

Ah but the "supporter" is vital. These are the ones who go to the grounds and give atmosphere. Without the supporters, televised games in empty stadia isn't a great spectacle. The "consumer" based in whatever far (or near) flung corner of the world they may be in, is the one being chased as the "supporter" is somewhat of a captive audience. And what is easier to sell to the consumer - Palace vs Saints or Liverpool vs Man Utd. And the consumer likes the big player. They like a winner. The PL likes the top 6. They like the mini league at the top as, while I still think it a little silly that only a few can win (rather than all), it is more interesting than leagues that have 1-3 teams that win it year in, year out.

Ah but the "supporter" is vital. These are the ones who go to the grounds and give atmosphere. Without the supporters, televised games in empty stadia isn't a great spectacle. The "consumer" based in whatever far (or near) flung corner of the world they may be in, is the one being chased as the "supporter" is somewhat of a captive audience. And what is easier to sell to the consumer - Palace vs Saints or Liverpool vs Man Utd. And the consumer likes the big player. They like a winner. The PL likes the top 6. They like the mini league at the top as, while I still think it a little silly that only a few can win (rather than all), it is more interesting than leagues that have 1-3 teams that win it year in, year out.

Don't think I've said anything to dispute this? I agree with it. Doesn't change the fact that the PL as a business focus on their expanding market and the 'consumers'. Probably because they take the supporter side for granted - they know people will still turn up.

I get that football is a marketable product, and it's a business. I just feel that the sporting considerations should always be the first priority. Would be nice if fans could have an organised boycott of games - though easy for me to say as someone who can't justify the expense of a season ticket! - just can't see it happening.

I have the favor of God. Blessings are chasing me down. The right people are searching me out. New opportunities new levels are in my future

The suit says **** you

Pathetic, starting to turn as bad as the rest of em who used twitter / instagram to post cr*p trying to be cryptic 'I want out' posts.

How's about show some respect for your 6 yr contract and club who pay your wages, and the fans too, greedy overpaid t@$ser

The suit says **** you

He's making the early steps of going "Full Lovren". You never really want to go "Full Lovren".

Liverpool still obviously want him and he still wants the move, but Liverpool screwed themselves over with the tapping up saga.

The last media-fed piece that I remember was that Liverpool wouldn't re-engage interest unless we entertain the idea of selling.

Which translates to Virgil kicking off.

It would be very convenient for us (Reed) if VVD did agitate for a move.

"We really didn't want to sell but......"

Would be even more convenient if someone other than Liverpool put in a serious bid for him. Someone like Barca or any other club thats qualified for the CL. That would really test Liverpool's claim he only wants to go there and will let Reed off the hook.

Edited by patred44

why do you think it is Reed who is selling the players? The Chairman came out earlier and said that for the first time there was no need to sell players, which rather suggests that the orders were coming from higher up the chain. Have you ever thought that the owner might have a say in the finances of the club and the part that player sales have in it?

why do you think it is Reed who is selling the players? The Chairman came out earlier and said that for the first time there was no need to sell players, which rather suggests that the orders were coming from higher up the chain. Have you ever thought that the owner might have a say in the finances of the club and the part that player sales have in it?

from Les -

“I’m basically responsible for everything to do with football at the club. That goes from the academy right down to the U-7s and U-8s, right through to the first team,”

unless selling players is not part of the football?

I am not saying it is Reed trying to sell the player. On the contrary, he is the one trying not to sell him after his statement that he is not for sale.

However I do think Reed underestimated VvD's reaction, and determination though.

It has now become a battle of wills between Reed(representing our club) and the player and his agent on behest of Liverpool FC.

Edited by patred44

A few British newspapers have picked up on a report from Il Messaggero in Italy, which claims that Liverpool are in "secret" talks with Lazio to sign de Vrij.

It's only when they sign another centre-back that I'll consider them off the VvD trail.

Pathetic, starting to turn as bad as the rest of em who used twitter / instagram to post cr*p trying to be cryptic 'I want out' posts.

How's about show some respect for your 6 yr contract and club who pay your wages, and the fans too, greedy overpaid t@$ser

Read again before you call anyone pathetic and greedy overpaid t@$ser. VVD didn't post any of those things. They're a selection of his recent 'likes' on Twitter that have nothing to do with football, or with VVD. Why they're relevant and posted here I have no idea.

from Les -

unless selling players is not part of the football?

My word. Seriously ridiculous answer.

I am responsible for all commercial aspects of my company, from day to day sales, business development, commercial contracts and of course, my sales team.

It does not mean I am in charge of selling company assets you absolute buffoon.

I don't monitor twitter so I can't comment on that but what I see in the various training videos being released from Austria is a happy smiling Virgil with the ball at his feet.

Perhaps he will leave, but I do not see a miserable, sulking player, and it is good to remember that he has said nothing openly about wanting to leave, so I for one am going to support our captain and give him the benefit of the doubt until events prove me wrong.

My word. Seriously ridiculous answer.

I am responsible for all commercial aspects of my company, from day to day sales, business development, commercial contracts and of course, my sales team.

It does not mean I am in charge of selling company assets you absolute TROLL.

Fixed it for you

In my world it is as simple as this:

Tell Liverpool we don't wanna do business unless they pay us way over the top (>75m) before X-date so we can find a decent replacement (Decent, not an average overpaid outcast like Sakho).

Tell VVD we are not gonna sell him under any circumstances expect above. He can spit his dummy but it won't help because he's still gonna be here till next summer.

Given the recent shenanigans, he's only got himself to blame. Respect your employer, and they'll respect you. Go behind their back for cosy dinner dates with other managers, and that's just get a whole lot tougher. What's he going to do if we say he's not leaving other than sulk? Transfer request means zilch. He'll be worth a ton of cash next summer - and if he isn't we'll keep him. It's really not a difficult scenario. People in the workplace sulk all the time. If that's what he's doing.

Given the recent shenanigans, he's only got himself to blame. Respect your employer, and they'll respect you. Go behind their back for cosy dinner dates with other managers, and that's just get a whole lot tougher. What's he going to do if we say he's not leaving other than sulk? Transfer request means zilch. He'll be worth a ton of cash next summer - and if he isn't we'll keep him. It's really not a difficult scenario. People in the workplace sulk all the time. If that's what he's doing.

Absolutely this !

i just hope the Southampton board hold their nerve over this one.

Danny Murphy saying in a interview with 365 Football that a deal is close.

Well they thought a deal was close before but somehow forgot to tell the club about it leading to their grovelling public apology...honestly if we do sell him to Pool it better be under our terms. Personally i'd ask for £75mil + whatever sell on fee Celtic are owed, flat fee with no stupid add-ons and a nice big sell on clause.

Well they thought a deal was close before but somehow forgot to tell the club about it leading to their grovelling public apology...honestly if we do sell him to Pool it better be under our terms. Personally i'd ask for £75mil + whatever sell on fee Celtic are owed, flat fee with no stupid add-ons and a nice big sell on clause.
doesn't matter how much we get for him as we don't see any of it. Its all smoke and mirrors and rarely are the real fees reported.

All that will happen if he goes is that our team is weakened and we might spend some of the money that comes in

Danny Murphy saying in a interview with 365 Football that a deal is close.

Like he knows.

Probably knows a fair bit better than any of us though.

Why?

Played for Liverpool didn't he ? Doubt if any of us did.

Do you think Les Reed keeps Richard Dryden & Neil Maddison up to date with Saints 2017 transfer business?