Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

It won't bother them, not after a couple of weeks and it won't change them as people, so they'll still be mongs. The destruction of PFC will only mean that a certain percentage of their entertainment time becomes available. I may of disconnected myself emotionally from the situation, but I can't believe that many Saints fans can't see the bigger picture? Some spice will go out of your Saints supporting life. The situation tastes so sweet for you, because you've felt the other end of it. Did you not question why Pompey fans 'relished' defeating you so emphatically at FP? back in '05? It was because Saints had till that point held the upper hand so long, I can assure you it was sweet, I was giddy with euthoria! Now it's swings and roundabouts time, enjoy it, take the **** to your hearts content but the total demise of PFC will detract from your overall enjoyment of being a Saints fan. :)

Well Put.

Any oh crap I just realised. That means if they go out of business it means they got the last victory between the 2 sides and we will never get the chance to put things right. Me thinks i'm off to look for investors to help them stay afloat long enough for us to put the record straight

so another little gem emerges, they paid half of Sol's wages as 'image rights' to avoid tax and NI.

There is no way you could justify matching a players wages with an equal amount as a rights payment, I believe this may be called fraud.

Hopefully the rest of football is now realising that Pompey have been cheating for years, since they bought their way out of the championship with money they didn't have.

Please put this poor animal out of it's misery, it's suffered long enough, it no longer has dignity nor a quality of life.

I'll go dig a hole in the garden.

so another little gem emerges, they paid half of Sol's wages as 'image rights' to avoid tax and NI.

There is no way you could justify matching a players wages with an equal amount as a rights payment, I believe this may be called fraud.

To be fair to them, I would be amazed if this was an uncommon practice.

Some chap called Singha on the Portsmouth News thread...

we have zero debt more or less when u discount shareholder and 3rd party director loans which can be written off or converted to equity

HMRC is settled with 3mn quid and some instalments no great shakes

focus on support and lifting the embargo and plse pay wages on time

simple

switch to matter on the pitch and support this great club

westwood, as sorrowful a deliquent u look, yes, you are right, it begs to wonder why they would buy from SAf without having a warchest of cash cash 30mn and some funding 30mn etc, weird we all know

but they have helped and have kept us going

and we may just have turned the corner now

debt down to 50mn etc

If you read Singha's other posts, the blokes either a fantasist, a wind up merchant or a moron....or all 3.

To be fair to them, I would be amazed if this was an uncommon practice.

Possibly a tax avoidance scheme that needs reviewing in the light of all this. I'd far rather that an element of the money I contribute to already rich footballers ends up in the hands of the Treasury rather than as excess tax-free payments to footballers and their grubby advisors.

Well Put.

Any oh crap I just realised. That means if they go out of business it means they got the last victory between the 2 sides and we will never get the chance to put things right. Me thinks i'm off to look for investors to help them stay afloat long enough for us to put the record straight

Don't be too upset just look at the bigger picture.

Total competitive fixtures against Pompey reads

Saints W19 D8 L8

This is ridiculous - I am having to put aside about 45 minutes a day purely allocated to reading this thread and associated links. This is getting time consuming but like watching all decent soaps it is compulsive, addictive and great fun.

But unlike the soaps, this is entertaining.

If Pompey did go under, what would happen to the architects of their demise?

I can see Storrie (convicted or acquitted) washing his hands of all blame for this, claiming that the damage was done after he moved on and lost control of the running of the club. The Arabs, Israelis and Russians will disappear into the shadows from whence they seem to have sprung. Redknapp will still be spending someone else's millions making expensive signings for clubs eager to buy into the dream, making a very nice little pot while doing so. Jacobs will be in court somewhere selling more snake oil.

The only change will be that there isn't a professional fulltime football club with a PO postcode. Over 100 years of history will become just that... history... and who, if anyone, will be held to account? I don't see anyone writing our brief history of administration and I don't think anyone will write a history of Pompey's... at least not a fully truthful one. Like their accounts, there are just to many unknowns, untruths and inaccuracies. Where is the justice for the people who will actually deserve taking down? I doubt there will be any. The ordinary fans will pay the price as usual. Sure we'll be able to mock those loud mouths who gave us sh*t when we were on trouble but somehow I think the real payoff would be seeing those really responsible being taken down - and I just can't see that happen...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Peter-Storrie-appears-in-court.5997418.jp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/8469860.stm

Another one for the diary... 15th April will be a fun day

(of course the odds of the club still being around to receive a points penalty by then are looking pretty slim...)

Some breathing room for him at least...

"Mr Storrie of St. Helen's Road, Hayling Island is expected to put forward the defence that he believed his financial dealings lay outside of her majesty's revenue and customs' jurisdiction. He was apparently under the impression that Hayling Island was 'off shore'."

Possibly a tax avoidance scheme that needs reviewing in the light of all this. I'd far rather that an element of the money I contribute to already rich footballers ends up in the hands of the Treasury rather than as excess tax-free payments to footballers and their grubby advisors.

What I find more amazing that they could get away with and that is that his bonuses was paid direct to this trust fund as well.

Edited by pedg

Trust me, it won't.

I can't wait for all the pics of blubbing skate bast*rds.

I hope the pain lasts for generations.

I'm sorry View, but you seem to underestimate the fickle nature (I would say admirably adaptable) of the human race? Do you really think I'm gonna care (or any other sane minded football fan) if Pompey cease to exist one year down the line? I'd of thrown myself behind something else by then, probably not football related. I've followed Pompey all my life but it really wont tear me up all that much, believe me. Maybe I have a fantastic sense of perspective or something? But Portsmouth bloody Football club comes well down my list of genuine concerns. If your that hooked up on ****ing football, try to get some other interests in your life. There's a whole world out there! :D

I don't particularly go for the whole argument that it will take a 'big club' like Liverpool going into Admin for football to take notice.

Leeds were a massive club (CL Semi Finals etc) but when they went into admin nothing happened. Nothing changed then and I don't think anything would change if Liverpool went under.

Also, I think the demise of PFC will actually set relations between the two cities back. The real hatred seems to bubble up while we are not playing each other. That knuckleheaded element won't simply go away but it will probably just find another outlet.

An AFC Portsmouth could be a much bitterer animal by the time it comes back to the league. Even now, for every finger pointing the blame at the current owners, another seems to point at the PL, as if it is they who are holding Portsmouth back by puzzlingly insisting bills are settled and players paid. With the benefit of a few years of stewing, you can imagine that the story will mutate and that more and more blame will fall on those outside of Fratton Park when the real blame lies firmly inside.

As rivals (and, critically, untouchable rivals - as we would be if Pompey had to leave the league and start again) we would be first port of call for any bitterness emanating from the southern end of the M27.

Pompey really annoy me. They always out do us these days.

We get to the FA Cup final and come 2nd, they win the damn thing.

We go into admin and drop down to league 1, they go out of business and start again as a pub team.

We just can't compete

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Supporters-vow-We-will-take.5996964.jp

That plan includes a worst-case scenario in which we either buy it out of administration, or at the absolute worst, to start a new team here in place of the old one.

He explained: 'We only got confirmation as a Trust early this month. We are going to be run as a Mutual Trust, meaning every member has one share, and that one share equals one vote. But to do so, we have to set up a bank account, which we're in the process of doing.

"So... You want to take out a bank account with us as you may want to buy PFC? I think I may have to talk to my manager first...."

Edited by pedg

Well Put.

Or Prem/Championship Saints could draw a non-league Portsmouth in the FA Cup - and really set the record straight.

Also, I think the demise of PFC will actually set relations between the two cities back. The real hatred seems to bubble up while we are not playing each other. That knuckleheaded element won't simply go away but it will probably just find another outlet.

An AFC Portsmouth could be a much bitterer animal by the time it comes back to the league. Even now, for every finger pointing the blame at the current owners, another seems to point at the PL, as if it is they who are holding Portsmouth back by puzzlingly insisting bills are settled and players paid. With the benefit of a few years of stewing, you can imagine that the story will mutate and that more and more blame will fall on those outside of Fratton Park when the real blame lies firmly inside.

As rivals (and, critically, untouchable rivals - as we would be if Pompey had to leave the league and start again) we would be first port of call for any bitterness emanating from the southern end of the M27.

Pompey fans I have spoken to are more interested in why the PL allow such people to take over football clubs without thorough checks on prospective owners finances.

If they are going to hold back £2m in order to pay future due debts, then maybe they should start looking at doing the same to all clubs that are in financial trouble.

I'm sorry View, but you seem to underestimate the fickle nature (I would say admirably adaptable) of the human race? Do you really think I'm gonna care (or any other sane minded football fan) if Pompey cease to exist one year down the line? I'd of thrown myself behind something else by then,

AS you know there's always room in my car if you fancy taking in a proper game of footie down here in League 1.

Pompey fans I have spoken to are more interested in why the PL allow such people to take over football clubs without thorough checks on prospective owners finances.

If they are going to hold back £2m in order to pay future due debts, then maybe they should start looking at doing the same to all clubs that are in financial trouble.

are the other clubs defaulting on their payments to other clubs? No. That's why its only Pompey's sky money that is being redistributed appropriately rather than being forwarded to the club and then goign who knows where.

are the other clubs defaulting on their payments to other clubs? No. That's why its only Pompey's sky money that is being redistributed appropriately rather than being forwarded to the club and then goign who knows where.

They have paid other clubs up to date haven't they ?

Would like to know what they have offered some of these foreign clubs to get them to postpone the payments they are due. If I was in change of Lens and knew there was £2M I could possibly get from the PL now towards what I was owed it would have to take a very persuasive argument to get me to postpone the payments given that as things are going at the moment I might never see any of it.

I'm reasonably certain that Scudamore answered this question recently. Basically, why should it be up to the PL to decide how much money an individual or group of individuals has behind them, before they are considered fit and proper? If so, what would be the minimum wealth they are bringing to the table?

I'll try and find the interview...

Edit: Here you go:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/scudamore-hits-back-at-portsmouth-1870971.html

"In fairness to the people at Portsmouth and Peter Storrie and the people who are running that club, they are working very, very hard and have worked extremely hard to live the dream for Portsmouth.

"They've had a succession of owners through there and the people there now are scrabbling very hard to make sure this football club stays alive.

"There's only a certain point at which we can intervene. We changed our rules in September and now, when we see the financials [reports] that come in from clubs at the end of March, we will be able to take a stronger role to come in and make sure they are sustainable."

Scudamore revealed that the "Fit and Proper Persons" test was not designed to ensure an owner had enough funds to run a club.

He said: "Do you want to just have a club that barely survives in the Premier League? Do you actually want to own a club that is safely mid-table? Do you want to own a club that pushes for Europe? Do you want to own a club that guarantees being in the Champions League?

"Your attitude and answers to those questions give you an answer as to what sort of money might be required and we at the Premier League are never going to be intervening to the level where we decide how much it needs to run a club.

"Debt per se is not bad. It's the amount of debt relative to your income that's the critical issue."

Edited by saintds

My apologies if this is already posted here or elsewhere but now Sol Campbell has joined the list of creditors by suing Pompey for £1.7M

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5873389,00.html

Expect Tony Ly oops sorry, i mean Mark Jacobs to come out with

"It was our idea to sue Portsmouth for the money owed to Sol. We went to him and said that going to court would gurantee he get's paid. But we feel Sol is holding £1m he owes to us for playing for us and having spoken to Sol's lawyers are very confident that they are in agreement we will win the case. The court case is just a process we have to go through, to sign a few forms and then collect the monies Sol owes us. And in regards to that flying pig out the window, yes that is the potential new owner" :)

PES is right to a degree - the demise of PFC would diminish some of the enjoyment of supporting Saints. Maybe only .01%, but the anticipation leading up to a Saints/Pompey game outweighs just about any other.

On a more general note, I know how I would feel (and indeed felt last year) about the prospect of SFC ceasing to exist. I would not have followed an AFC Southampton or whatever emerged from the Ashes. It would not have been the club I supported for 30 odd years. I would not wish that on any set of fans. Yes, Pompey have their share of neanderthal fans, but which club doesn't. I have met many unpleasant fans from the likes of Bolton, Spurs, Cardiff etc, etc and even SFC has its share of idiots.

It saddens me to see ANY club go under. Yes, I think the book should be thrown at Pompey - let them get points penalties, even get relegated a division or two for financial irregularities - but not cease to exist.

They should sell anything they can get cash for right now - they should have bitten Stokes hand off for a portion of DJ wages - and they should aim to struggle through to the end of the season. Go into admin, and sort the mess out over the summer - they probably won't get a CVA - but they restart as PFC in whatever division the powers that be allow. That is about the best hope they've got and they should start now whilst they can still sell players.

I for one would not like to see them go out of business completely, but am getting great amusement of watching them languish at the bottom of The PL and also all the crap news stories revolving around the club being unleashed virtually on a daily basis :smt081

This fred has given untold humour and entertainment to nearly 250000 viewings and nearly 7900 replies .... you've got to love them and thank them for making our day each day seem that much better :D

What is the interaction between the PL, FL and FA in cases of serious misconduct? In Italy that some teams where put down more that one division I believe because of dodgy dealing but would it be possible in this country for a team to be put down from the PL into league 1 for example?

Just that it would be funny if...

Pompey were punished for their transgressions by being relegated directly to League 1.

To keep the numbers up an extra team was then promoted from league 1 to where pompey would have been in the championship.

That that team was us.

Edited by pedg
gwammer

I will miss this thread, hopefully someone can edit the 'best of' and launch a website so we can revisit it when feeling low.

If someone could add the timeline of each comic development it would be excellent.

It will be a real shock if they go pop, imagine not googling 'Portsmouth on the brink' or meeting here to compare financial notes, I'd have to find a new hobby.

Oh well, it's been a golden autumn/winter, all good things come to an end, and it has been the longest running comedy of all time so we shouldn't complain.

Fraud, prostitutes, own goals, tax evasion, last minute penalties and of course the stadium plans, hilarious, if only they had shot it in 3D.

So for laughs per minute I feel far from shortchanged - if they don't get sued again or convicted of anything else it has still been VERY funny.

Hello girls. Grim times indeed for Pompey but good to see that, once again, you're still proving that complete indifference about my club and showing that you don't care about us at all. How many pages/ posts is this thread running to now? When you looked like going pop the situation merited a two page thread on POL. Still, I guess that proves that, like you keep telling me, we're far more obsessed with you than you are with us. :D

As for your kind comments about me, as I've said before (do you have trouble with basic English? I guess you do) I am still on garden leave. I had a 6 month notice period so I'm still having a relaxing time at home thanks for asking. Anyway, just to comment on a few of your lovely posts.

Even now, for every finger pointing the blame at the current owners, another seems to point at the PL, as if it is they who are holding Portsmouth back by puzzlingly insisting bills are settled and players paid. With the benefit of a few years of stewing, you can imagine that the story will mutate and that more and more blame will fall on those outside of Fratton Park when the real blame lies firmly inside.

You seem to misunderstand. Any Pompey fans I know or whose posts I read don't blame the PL for holding back the money at all. They (and I for that matter) believe it's absolutely the right thing to do in the circumstances. They're pointing the finger at the PL for allowing people with no funds and who clearly didn't have the means to run a football club to take us over. The FAPPT is nothing to do with this. That's just a test to become a director of a club. But we're told that any owner has to submit paperwork to the PL to prove his suitability to own a club in the "best league in the world". Al Faraj clearly doesn't have the money to run PFC as a going concern. So how was he approved by the PL to own us. What checks were done? A couple of fans have written to the PL and asked if they ever even met Faraj. The PL have yet to answer that one.

Before you say "so what", remember that your owner has undoubtedly not bought you because he's a lifelong Saints fan. He's bought you to get you back in the PL and then sell you on for a profit. But who does he sell you to and what if they turn out to be a bunch of property developers who pocket all the SKY money, sell all your players, then put the club into liquidation, buy the land back cheap through a shell company and build a load of flats on the site where the Ikea Flatpack Dome once stood. Would you ask the PL what they did to ensure the owners were suitable to own your club?

I hope the Skates do realise that when they go pop no-one would miss them.

Their fellow clubs in the Premiership would not and I certainly wouldn't.

We do realise that. Do you realise that if you'd disappeared no-one would have missed you lot either? Or do you think Saints are a massive draw for all football fans? LOL

That depends on Gaydamak not having plans with the land he holds under Miland. Would a superstore and housing fetch more than giving the club another £10-15m to secure next season's Sky money? Besides, they would still have a mountain of debt to pay, when would Gaydamak get his money back?

Many of you on here seem a bit confused as to who's lent PFC money and seem to think it's Gaydamak. The guy who lent the club £15m is called Chainrai and is a guy who hates Gaydamak. Gaydamak Jnr or Snr aren't putting any money into the club. Is it all a bit complicated for you to follow? :D

Don't tell me, a Arab billionaire?

Funny you should say that. Two parties interested in buying PFC at the moment. Probably nothing will come of it, there have been quite a few who've expressed an initial interest but have then backed off. But one of these two is an arab and apparently has actually got some money, unlike the other two. Doubtful if anything will happen though. Am told the other one is Irish

Funny you should say that. Two parties interested in buying PFC at the moment. Probably nothing will come of it, there have been quite a few who've expressed an initial interest but have then backed off. But one of these two is an arab and apparently has actually got some money, unlike the other two. Doubtful if anything will happen though. Am told the other one is Irish

We had over 50 who expressed an initial interest! Means bugger all - 90% are tyrekickers - not that you have much equity.

Is his name Tommac???

I would expect one of the main things scaring away anyone looking to buy PFC is the uncertainty concerning the various court cases for defrauding the public purse. If I was a very rich arab say, on the look out for a status symbol to prove how much money I would waste, I might look at PFC. Now with a big lump sum I could pay all the bills, buy back all the bits currently mortgaged and get some mercenary players in to stave of relegation. But, I would then have to look what happened to Luton and think that even with all that my new toy could end up in the Championship or below and that there would be little my money could do about it.

We do realise that. Do you realise that if you'd disappeared no-one would have missed you lot either? Or do you think Saints are a massive draw for all football fans? LOL

As stated in a response to Merovignian, yes, I realise that completely. Typical skate, selectively reads the bits he can use to belittle people and ignores the parts which can undo his rant entirely.

Edited by Colinjb

and just when you thought this couldn't get any funnier. I lolled so much a little bit of wee came out

Hello girls. Grim times indeed for Pompey but good to see that, once again, you're still proving that complete indifference about my club and showing that you don't care about us at all. How many pages/ posts is this thread running to now? When you looked like going pop the situation merited a two page thread on POL. Still, I guess that proves that, like you keep telling me, we're far more obsessed with you than you are with us. :D

As for your kind comments about me, as I've said before (do you have trouble with basic English? I guess you do) I am still on garden leave. I had a 6 month notice period so I'm still having a relaxing time at home thanks for asking. Anyway, just to comment on a few of your lovely posts.

You seem to misunderstand. Any Pompey fans I know or whose posts I read don't blame the PL for holding back the money at all. They (and I for that matter) believe it's absolutely the right thing to do in the circumstances. They're pointing the finger at the PL for allowing people with no funds and who clearly didn't have the means to run a football club to take us over. The FAPPT is nothing to do with this. That's just a test to become a director of a club. But we're told that any owner has to submit paperwork to the PL to prove his suitability to own a club in the "best league in the world". Al Faraj clearly doesn't have the money to run PFC as a going concern. So how was he approved by the PL to own us. What checks were done? A couple of fans have written to the PL and asked if they ever even met Faraj. The PL have yet to answer that one.

Before you say "so what", remember that your owner has undoubtedly not bought you because he's a lifelong Saints fan. He's bought you to get you back in the PL and then sell you on for a profit. But who does he sell you to and what if they turn out to be a bunch of property developers who pocket all the SKY money, sell all your players, then put the club into liquidation, buy the land back cheap through a shell company and build a load of flats on the site where the Ikea Flatpack Dome once stood. Would you ask the PL what they did to ensure the owners were suitable to own your club?

Many of you on here seem a bit confused as to who's lent PFC money and seem to think it's Gaydamak. The guy who lent the club £15m is called Chainrai and is a guy who hates Gaydamak. Gaydamak Jnr or Snr aren't putting any money into the club. Is it all a bit complicated for you to follow? :D

Gaydamak owns land around the ground (car park ect) is that right ?

So how much can that land be worth ?

Are Tesco's offering anywhere near the amount that Gayman wants from the club ?

£28m he wants and that land was bought for what ? 3 or 4m ?

We had over 50 who expressed an initial interest! Means bugger all - 90% are tyrekickers - not that you have much equity.

Is his name Tommac???

I would expect one of the main things scaring away anyone looking to buy PFC is the uncertainty concerning the various court cases for defrauding the public purse. If I was a very rich arab say, on the look out for a status symbol to prove how much money I would waste, I might look at PFC. Now with a big lump sum I could pay all the bills, buy back all the bits currently mortgaged and get some mercenary players in to stave of relegation. But, I would then have to look what happened to Luton and think that even with all that my new toy could end up in the Championship or below and that there would be little my money could do about it.

and just when you thought this couldn't get any funnier. I lolled so much a little bit of wee came out

Sorry, was the part I wrote that I thought it "doubtful anything would happen" mistakenly read as "this is definitely going to happen and PFC are saved and will be in the Champs League in two years"?

Just interested to know why you girls responded in the way you did?

Sorry, was the part I wrote that I thought it "doubtful anything would happen" mistakenly read as "this is definitely going to happen and PFC are saved and will be in the Champs League in two years"?

Just interested to know why you girls responded in the way you did?

Because we couldn't wait for another 6 months gardening leave to go by without another of your pearls of wisdom....has Riquelme signed yet?