Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

There are some staggeringly thick people writing comments at The News. It appears that 90% of the PO postcode don't understand the difference between a company having a debt, but servicing that debt by means of regular scheduled payments being made, and a company having a debt where they have regular scheduled payments agreed.....but aren't making any payments...and when they are, only by means of borrowing elsewhere.

But, still, let's all write to the PL as it's all their fault. Monkeys.

Maybe they need it rephrased in a way they would understand...

"I have a nice house and a £500,000 mortgage that I always make the payments for. You have a derelict caravan on which you owe £500 but don't have the money to pay it. Who is going to be the one who ends up on the street?"

This is such a fantastic reversal of fortune.

Just 6 short months ago, 28th May 2009:

Saints appearing to be going out of business... http://www.football.co.uk/southampton/saints_unable_to_pay_wages_285854.shtml

...but end up with a billionaire

Pompey appeared to have landed a billionare... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article6375213.ece

...but end up going out of business

That piece on the clown is a thing of beauty, it truly is

Apologies if already posted,PL keep embargo in place...shame,the comments are great.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/Pompey-fail-in-bid-to.5999954.jp

Quality post from one mong....

"Erm 720 mill in debt or 15 million where's man united embargo ???????"

Well last time I checked Einstein, United pay their bills and their players... Always a good start..

It's like some of them are totally oblivious to why they're in such trouble..

Well last time I checked Einstein, United pay their bills and their players... Always a good start..

When you keep your life savings rolled up in a Tesco bag stuffed under the Rottweiler's bed in the back corner of your caravan, the world of high finance is all a bit confusing

There's loads of golden comments like that from skates lately..in fact not just lately, not their turn for the family brain cell obviously.

We need a thread where we can add these skate isms , i'm sure it will make cracking reading after a few pages :)

They are!!...I read every response, it seems that only two of them were aware of the situation. Perhaps they should all be forced to read this thread, it would give them a better understanding of their situation. :smt081

They are!!...I read every response, it seems that only two of them were aware of the situation. Perhaps they should all be forced to read this thread, it would give them a better understanding of their situation. :smt081

It's always been like that with them, why ??? I'm sure most of them are more concerned with being ' the best fans in the world' how many protested ?

Corpulent Whore wrote - 'How many pages/ posts is this thread running to now? When you looked like going pop the situation merited a two page thread on POL. Still, I guess that proves that, like you keep telling me, we're far more obsessed with you than you are with us.'

You seriously misunderstand the reasons behind those statements?

1) A couple of barely literate pages is about the 'pinnacle' of eloquence on POL & probably done with much licking of pencil lead & furrowing of brows.

2) It's not obsession - It's just that we have a well-developed sense of humour exacerbated by the puerility of your enjoyment when we were having our problems. I admit to feeling really down about our prospects but yours (compounded by the feeling of 'what goes round comes round' engendered by your simple but sad joy at our perceived demise) are just about as bad as they could be! We could not have written a better revenge script if we'd had a team of Oscar winning screenwriters working for us than the one that you have brought on your demeaned & petty selves.

What a fantastic screenplay...surely the freedom of the city should be awarded jointly to the assembled cast of bent Russians, potless Arabs, shifty, jail-bound ****neys, story telling execs, increasingly desperate banned lawyers, disaffected & unpaid players past & present......my sympathy extends all the way to finding you a deep hole in the Solent to jump in & end your misery - but please don't think that will do any more than add to our fun!

I repeat - what goes around, comes around,,,Bye then - you won't be missed!:-)

A post of natural beauty!

The 'only a two page' comment also underlines the fact that there are considerably more of us than there are of the 'Few'' as well :)

The real reason there were only two pages for our situation was that;

A. It didn't go on for as long.

B. We weren't as much of a laughing stock, making ridiculous statements etc. when we were in admin.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/Bankable-assets-tipped-to-depart.6001963.jp

"The sales are on for another 11 days. And somehow Pompey must recoup at least £11.75m if they are to stand a chance of remaining in existence.

That is according to Pompey accounts leaked to The News"

Happy happy days......

Rather bizarrely from the same article.....

"These accounts – if they are legitimate – are dated December 3, 2009. Intriguingly, they also show Pompey rather ambitiously plan to spend £10.99m on players this month."

even if embargo lifted what club, agent, player will want to do a permanent deal with them?

They will only be looking at loans and out of contract players.

I think they desperately want O'Hara back for the rest of the season. Without him, and with a couple of sales in the window, things really do look bleak for them for the rest of the season. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Grant walk at the begining of February. It wouldn't do his CV any good to stay on.

"These accounts – if they are legitimate – are dated December 3, 2009. Intriguingly, they also show Pompey rather ambitiously plan to spend £10.99m on players this month."

It's the only bit that suggests these accounts are legit as only those fruitcakes would consider, (What would only equate to just over a million in net money), that to be enough to raise in their current circumstances.

However, You can imagine that when Grant accepted the job, it was based on a certain amount of funds being available for him to bring in his own players.

Grant will walk fairly shortly, IMHO

A sentence from today's Guardian...

'People mistakenly conclude that the current problems at, say, Portsmouth are symptomatic of a widespread malaise in the game when, in reality, they are symptomatic of nothing more than the fact that those in charge of Portsmouth couldn't run a sponsored silence in a Trappist monastery.'

And your next installment (From the Express apparently)

PORSTMOUTH FACE UP TO LOSING STARS OF FUTURE

Avram Grant could lose his future star players over alleged breach of contract

THE Portsmouth crisis is in danger of plunging to a new low as their top young talents consider ripping up their contracts and quitting the club.

Pompey manager Avram Grant is already set to lose his best senior players and it now seems his stars of the future could walk away from Fratton Park for nothing.

A number of Portsmouth’s schoolboys have looked into trying to quit the club over alleged breach of contract and parents have become concerned about how their sons are being treated.

The Daily Express has been told some schoolboys, who usually train for three nights a week, have only trained once since Christmas and there were no sessions over the past fortnight. Academy youngsters have also complained of training being cancelled.

Portsmouth say any cancellation of training was because of the snow and subsequent thaw, but sources from inside and outside the club fear they stopped paying for pitch hire. Insiders also allege the buses that used to collect the schoolboys from various pick-up points have been cancelled. Kids have been told they must get lifts off parents or hire taxis, which they must fund themselves, to get to the club and matches.

Pompey say they have swapped bus contractors recently and any cancellation in service is down to the changeover period. But the explanations from Portsmouth have not stopped parents of a number of schoolboys looking into whether the club have breached the terms of their youth contracts.

As part of a normal scholarship deal, clubs agree to provide a minimal amount of technical training – something worried parents and kids claim has not been happening. Portsmouth have a clutch of highly rated youngsters who are already being eyed up by rival clubs, and there would be no shortage of suitors if they started to walk out en masse.

Earlier this month, Portsmouth’s kids beat a Tottenham team featuring John Bostock and Dean Parrett, for whom Spurs paid more than £5million, in the FA Youth Cup at White Hart Lane. They face Chelsea in the fifth round at Stamford Bridge.

It's the only bit that suggests these accounts are legit as only those fruitcakes would consider, (What would only equate to just over a million in net money), that to be enough to raise in their current circumstances.

However, You can imagine that when Grant accepted the job, it was based on a certain amount of funds being available for him to bring in his own players.

Grant will walk fairly shortly, IMHO

Given that they show that the net income from transfers only needs to be £1m you do have to wonder who actually leaked these "accounts".

My money is on his last name begining with J...

THE Portsmouth crisis is in danger of plunging to a new low as their top young talents consider ripping up their contracts and quitting the club.

Pompey manager Avram Grant is already set to lose his best senior players and it now seems his stars of the future could walk away from Fratton Park for nothing.

A number of Portsmouth’s schoolboys have looked into trying to quit the club over alleged breach of contract and parents have become concerned about how their sons are being treated.

The Daily Express has been told some schoolboys, who usually train for three nights a week, have only trained once since Christmas and there were no sessions over the past fortnight. Academy youngsters have also complained of training being cancelled.

Portsmouth say any cancellation of training was because of the snow and subsequent thaw, but sources from inside and outside the club fear they stopped paying for pitch hire. Insiders also allege the buses that used to collect the schoolboys from various pick-up points have been cancelled. Kids have been told they must get lifts off parents or hire taxis, which they must fund themselves, to get to the club and matches.

Pompey say they have swapped bus contractors recently and any cancellation in service is down to the changeover period. But the explanations from Portsmouth have not stopped parents of a number of schoolboys looking into whether the club have breached the terms of their youth contracts.

As part of a normal scholarship deal, clubs agree to provide a minimal amount of technical training – something worried parents and kids claim has not been happening. Portsmouth have a clutch of highly rated youngsters who are already being eyed up by rival clubs, and there would be no shortage of suitors if they started to walk out en masse.

Earlier this month, Portsmouth’s kids beat a Tottenham team featuring John Bostock and Dean Parrett, for whom Spurs paid more than £5million, in the FA Youth Cup at White Hart Lane. They face Chelsea in the fifth round at Stamford Bridge.

Who is our academy manager now? We could offer the best of those lads a decent solution. :D

Edited by Colinjb

One of the many things the skateholders don't seem to grasp is that every day that passes from now until the end of the month their players are worth about 10% less than the day before. This is why nobody is falling over themselves to be at the front of the queue. And the only reason Lens put a decent bid in for Kaboul was to do a contra against what the skates owe them, as they no they'll never see the cash any other way.

Corpulent Whore wrote - 'How many pages/ posts is this thread running to now? When you looked like going pop the situation merited a two page thread on POL. Still, I guess that proves that, like you keep telling me, we're far more obsessed with you than you are with us.'

You seriously misunderstand the reasons behind those statements?

1) A couple of barely literate pages is about the 'pinnacle' of eloquence on POL & probably done with much licking of pencil lead & furrowing of brows.

2) It's not obsession - It's just that we have a well-developed sense of humour exacerbated by the puerility of your enjoyment when we were having our problems. I admit to feeling really down about our prospects but yours (compounded by the feeling of 'what goes round comes round' engendered by your simple but sad joy at our perceived demise) are just about as bad as they could be! We could not have written a better revenge script if we'd had a team of Oscar winning screenwriters working for us than the one that you have brought on your demeaned & petty selves.

What a fantastic screenplay...surely the freedom of the city should be awarded jointly to the assembled cast of bent Russians, potless Arabs, shifty, jail-bound ****neys, story telling execs, increasingly desperate banned lawyers, disaffected & unpaid players past & present......my sympathy extends all the way to finding you a deep hole in the Solent to jump in & end your misery - but please don't think that will do any more than add to our fun!

I repeat - what goes around, comes around,,,Bye then - you won't be missed!:-)

Buy this man a beer! Post of the week so far on this thread.

Blimey. They must owe the author of "1001 Excuses" a fortune in royalties. I heard Storie and Jacobs had commissioned volume 2 because they had exhausted volume 1 but the author declined because he knew he wouldn't get paid and already knew the excuse!

A comment from the News Article.

"My contacts at County level on the prompting from the PL have this week been ordered to draw up a plan to accept Portsmouth City (?), the re formed blues, to be able to play in the Wessex League from the start of the 2010/11 season. They will not consider requests for the new club to start out in the Blue Square Premier League South - the club will have to 'earn' its place in the highest echelons of non league football. I agree with Jack Preston, the first priority is for the club to be able to make a fresh start, at whatever level."

Man Utd were attractive to the Glazers - and they're now £700m in debt and rising. Similarly Liverpool.

Are you saying it's impossible that someone would buy you, pocket the SKY money for a couple of years, asset strip you and then liquidate you? Is that impossible?

Ho, Man Utd or Liverpool will ALWAYS find a buyer. I was surprised that the people who bought Man city didnt buy Utd but when you consider the Dr set the deal up then perhaps we can see why.

Provincial clubs like SFC and Pompey only have a small handful of people who would ever look at them.

PFC have 1 thing only and that is their PL status. nothing to do with history just PL status.

We with our modern facilites etc were so close to be where you might be very soon...gone.

For all our banter i dont wish that on you or most of the Skate fans but Iam torn to see the justice of the purchase of the FA cup using unfair methods of doing so by a complete overspend against all sensible financial methods.By using various ways to buy players most could only dream of or afford your club purchased success that was taken from clubs who played the game fair.

I suspect many Pompey fans did worry but were swept up in the tide, thinking that gaydamek was willing to fund it himself.

I am comfortable knowing that ML is running my club sensibly at the same time adding a few extra funds.

Im sure if the boot was on the other foot you would be wallowing in it, and so allow us a little/lot of fun but at the same time most of us are torn between seeing the total demise or saviour. Im sure the next time your fans visit or you smash up your town I will regret having any sympathy.

Some breathing room for him at least...

"Mr Storrie of St. Helen's Road, Hayling Island is expected to put forward the defence that he believed his financial dealings lay outside of her majesty's revenue and customs' jurisdiction. He was apparently under the impression that Hayling Island was 'off shore'."

,,,appeared in court to answer his name...

Surprised he new that, as he does'nt appear to know about anything going on at PFC.

St Helen's Roads, the real one, where the convict ships started for Australia.

Is Kaboul really worth £11m+?

What makes me laugh is in that news report they say they have to sell £11m+ in under 2 weeks) like i said, but they also say they plan to spend £10.5m on new players.....10 day's until the window shuts. Or 10 day's until judgement day :)

another very good reason for us employing Harte right now. If we are going to spend on th eupgrading training facilities we should accompany this with the very best coaching talent and Harte is the best youth coach around as far as I can see.

Is Kaboul really worth £11m+?

What makes me laugh is in that news report they say they have to sell £11m+ in under 2 weeks) like i said, but they also say they plan to spend £10.5m on new players.....10 day's until the window shuts. Or 10 day's until judgement day :)

maybe this figure was `created' so as to inflate the market. The idea being that if you know the skates have turned down £10m you are going to come in with a higher bid.

Lens were in the second tier of French football last season and lie only 15th in this. How is a team like that going to afford a £10m transfer fee not to mention Kabouls wages, which must be massive. Lyon maybe.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})