Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

My first thought was Beatties game against Australia but I'm pretty sure David James wasn't a skate then

James signed for them August 2006, Beattie was so long gone by then that Peter Crouch who replaced him had left too. :D

Crouch played in a friendly for England (against Colombia in May 2005) before he signed for Liverpool, alongside James and Glen Johnson - but neither were Skates at that point.

Edited by The9

I wish :( But there are threads that have been created specifically for that purpose with upwards of 700,000 posts.

We are potentially the longest soccer thread of all time but I imagine that if that were the case the ManU fans would start a thread on their forum just to beat us so shhhhh ;)

Yes, but those 700,000+ post threads are a joke, full of drivel and meaningless crap just to pad it out.

Ours on the other hand is surely the bestest long thread in the world.

I didn't know he was a Skate, obviously all the Newport refs were, you know, reffing in Newport at the time.

Not sure the 4th official can do much other than telling people to get back in their box, he probably spent 20 minutes learning how to use the subs board.

I'm still waiting to find out what Newport's goal in the first half was disallowed for, haven't seen it on any highlights programme. On the bright side, Jazzi Barnum-Bobb is the greatest footballer's name ever.

I didn't know he was a Skate, obviously all the Newport refs were, you know, reffing in Newport at the time.

Not sure the 4th official can do much other than telling people to get back in their box, he probably spent 20 minutes learning how to use the subs board.

I'm still waiting to find out what Newport's goal in the first half was disallowed for, haven't seen it on any highlights programme. On the bright side, Jazzi Barnum-Bobb is the greatest footballer's name ever.

There are other candidates. I nominate Forbes Ernest Phillipson-Masters

You know,with the squad they promotion shouldn't be any issue at all. However I'm beginning to wonder if it is going to be the cakewalk everyone is saying it's going to be.

With the skates so quick to get on the teams back it is bound to have an effect on performance, and I just wonder if they have enough in the squad to keep going all season

"Top of the league" !

I could have sworn that was Plymouth and 29 points is more than 27 according to my calculations but of course I'm not an expert in either Portsmaths nor Portsmyths so what do I know !

Delusion rules, eh :mcinnes: !

Well, they were at least joint top until that last minute equaliser. :) Anyone know who won after extra-time in Stevenage's cup final?

I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed the last 10 minutes of L2 last night. Newport winning away, Yeovil conceding late to cost them a point and drop them in with Newport, and Skates conceding later to knock them off the top.

That's equal top, once you take into account pluckiness and trophies won when Bruce Forsyth was in nappies - the first time round.

I refer you to the "all time top Division points" and "all time Prem league points" stats on the Main Board, Portsmouth aren't in the top 20 of either of them.

I refer you to the "all time top Division points" and "all time Prem league points" stats on the Main Board, Portsmouth aren't in the top 20 of either of them.

You can't use points as a way of measuring the greatness of true fan-owned clubs. Any old club can get points.

The most important thing about that table for them is that it only includes sides which 1) still exist and 2) are still in the Football League*.

There are plenty of post 1985 teams who were in the League and now don't exist, they should be glad they got away with that much.

*hang on, why are Tranmere there?

Tbh I wouldn't mind a late season wobble which culminates in a final game of the season where they have to get a win to qualify for the playoffs. And they are up against a team who need the three points to avoid relegation. And they lose, missing the playoffs by a point.

The crying about how unfair it all is and how sh!t the squad are would be epic

The most important thing about that table for them is that it only includes sides which 1) still exist and 2) are still in the Football League*.

There are plenty of post 1985 teams who were in the League and now don't exist, they should be glad they got away with that much.

*hang on, why are Tranmere there?

Aldershot and Maidstone haven't dropped far enough overall to be on that list, tbf. Aldershot were 16th in Division Four 30 years ago, they're now 12th in the league below, a drop of only 20 places. Maidstone were 17th in the Conference, they're now 4th in the National League South, a drop of 9 places. Obviously they've reformed, think only Wimbledon possibly should be on that list (5th in the old Division Two 30 years ago, finished 3rd to go up, now 14th in League Two, a drop of 57 places), but that would involve the Football League reminding everyone of the cluster**** they were involved in back in 2003.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})