Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Just seen their match highlights from Saturday.

Basically the Pompey Head of Cones and Sponges runs on the pitch at half time and starts fighting with the Cambridge player and they both get sent off.

So Cambridge lose a player and Pompey lose a no mark.

Cheating ****s

I'd love to build up to the big Newport v Portsmouth match this week, but given that County are solidly the worst team in the division even I can't try and spin anything other than an away win at Rodney Parade on Saturday.

Thanks to the foresight of... someone... the match is being played at the same time as Wales v South Africa in the Rugby World Cup, and much as I'd like to claim that won't make any difference to the home attendance, it might.

So with the sexy new away end at Rodney Parade open for the first time (away capacity 1285), there's actually the possibility of a buoyant Skate side and their glory-hunters having as many as County have in the ground for some of the game. Unless of course they don't sell out the 1285 tickets for an away match where they should go top of the table which is only 2 hours away. There are still away tickets available.

Weirdly, the Skate first team played Cardiff's development squad (squeaked a 2-1 win) earlier today. But then Newport have just signed two of Cardiff's best U21 prospects on loan and they didn't play, so that's a rather unrepresentative version of their U21s anyway.

I'd love to build up to the big Newport v Portsmouth match this week, but given that County are solidly the worst team in the division even I can't try and spin anything other than an away win at Rodney Parade on Saturday.

Thanks to the foresight of... someone... the match is being played at the same time as Wales v South Africa in the Rugby World Cup, and much as I'd like to claim that won't make any difference to the home attendance, it might.

So with the sexy new away end at Rodney Parade open for the first time (away capacity 1285), there's actually the possibility of a buoyant Skate side and their glory-hunters having as many as County have in the ground for some of the game. Unless of course they don't sell out the 1285 tickets for an away match where they should go top of the table which is only 2 hours away. There are still away tickets available.

Weirdly, the Skate first team played Cardiff's development squad (squeaked a 2-1 win) earlier today. But then Newport have just signed two of Cardiff's best U21 prospects on loan and they didn't play, so that's a rather unrepresentative version of their U21s anyway.

Direct quote from Corporate Ho over on POL:

Surely we're a bigger draw than a load of poncey ex - public schoolboys prancing around a pitch?

Rugby schmugby

Other quotes from POL

It could be a good a good time to play them before their pitch turns into a bog again

Away win- another 'park the bus' day of frustration can't be discounted though

I hope we thrash them- I hate Newport they are scumbags, hope they go down and hope all the other teams in our league also beat them. when they've played at FP they're cheating diving side that cant play football.. and yet last season they beat us

Hopefully all the Taffs will be too interested in the Rugby to bother turning up!

Think they will attempt to kick us off the field.

I suspect Wales' rugby team will also be distracted by having such a big game stealing their limelight on the same day as their little gig, it'll need a strong League Two ref to handle the massivest sporting occasion of the day.

As an aside, I asked a Man Utd fan this week if he knew which club claimed on official sales literature to have the best atmosphere in world football...

After about fifty guesses covering anything from Scotland to Brazil and even Germany he didn't get the answer - but he did laugh out loud and released some wee when I told him.

I suspect Wales' rugby team will also be distracted by having such a big game stealing their limelight on the same day as their little gig, it'll need a strong League Two ref to handle the massivest sporting occasion of the day.

As an aside, I asked a Man Utd fan this week if he knew which club claimed on official sales literature to have the best atmosphere in world football...

After about fifty guesses covering anything from Scotland to Brazil and even Germany he didn't get the answer - but he did laugh out loud and released some wee when I told him.

Newport will just have to comfort themselves with the knowledge that they will have been beaten by the Barca of L2 #saidnoonever

Edited by Waterside.saint

Don't be too harsh on them, after all, they haven't been around as long as us....

pompey_incorporation.JPG

southampton_incorporated.JPG

If that is the name of the football club incorporated on 7th February 2012 "Portsmouth Community" then should it not appear as such in fixture lists, tables, video printers, newspaper reports etc etc.........

https://highslowsandbakayokos.wordpress.com/2015/10/14/play-up-pompey-the-bright-hope-of-punk-football/

Not sure where to begin with this but my personal favourite is they should build a new stadium as they have an uncontested catchment area of 500,000 potential fans.

They seem to still be spreading the myth that they are majority owned by the fans

Difference is that unless we go in the opposite direction to Portsmouth in the leagues they have a serious rival within that catchment area, whatever it consists of.. Saints still don't at the moment unless we count Bournemouth with their limited capacity (and possible, with all their injuries, a very short stay at the top).

I do wish the direct quoting quoted quotes.

Anyway, in response:

Portsmouth will not be a bigger draw than Wales playing in a rugby World Cup. Even Newport County won't be. :)

Newport are incapable of parking the bus as they can't really defend.

The reason that bloke hates Newport is probably the bus-evacuating bundle I witnessed kick off in Fratton (technically in Milton) last year, for which both sets of yobs were equally culpable. I watched the match last season and Portsmouth kicked lumps out of Newport, rather than the other way around. Clearly the well-informed Skate is expecting more of the same, but Newport have changed manager twice and all but 4 of their squad since then.

https://highslowsandbakayokos.wordpress.com/2015/10/14/play-up-pompey-the-bright-hope-of-punk-football/

Not sure where to begin with this but my personal favourite is they should build a new stadium as they have an uncontested catchment area of 500,000 potential fans.

They seem to still be spreading the myth that they are majority owned by the fans

I wonder how much he got paid to write that tripe?

And where is this 'premier league high flyers' tag coming from? They spent their way into the PL, spent to stay in the PL and, despite staying there for seven seasons never increased their fan base enough to cover the money they were spending to stay up. They never finished higher than 13th. Hardly tearing up the PL there then.....

I just don't get this 'sleeping Giants' tripe that is peddled to all and sundry. They got large amounts of support in the '50's which they haven't even been close to since, conveniently ignore the '90's when they were regularly under 10k attendance each season. Over 60 years is a long time to be sleeping Giants I think.

I wonder how much he got paid to write that tripe?

And where is this 'premier league high flyers' tag coming from? They spent their way into the PL, spent to stay in the PL and, despite staying there for seven seasons never increased their fan base enough to cover the money they were spending to stay up. They never finished higher than 13th. Hardly tearing up the PL there then.....

I just don't get this 'sleeping Giants' tripe that is peddled to all and sundry. They got large amounts of support in the '50's which they haven't even been close to since, conveniently ignore the '90's when they were regularly under 10k attendance each season. Over 60 years is a long time to be sleeping Giants I think.

Rip van winkle has nothing on the #bestestmost, who are well known as record breaking underachieving gaptoothed relics of a bygone age

Some might suggest that that particular parrot is not 'sleeping' or just 'resting his eyes' but is in fact, dead.

Frank, Soggy various people called Nick, loads of others on the bandwagon. About twenty times more people than called Pelle the best in the world or whatever you were going on about yesterday.
of course you will be able to back up those claims with quotes as evidence. It would be so unlike you to make statements that were totally made up now would it?

Absolute comedy gold.
thank-you underlining what i said about you. The comedy gold is your post, and for all your bluff and bluster all on here will see you for what you are.

No doubt there will be caustic retorts, it is expected of you. Bash away and give it large, after all you are the legend in your own mind.

I have not bothered with your posts for some time now but your claims needed to be countered.

Franks Cousin and SOG will no doubt answer for themselves, perhaps you will spend time playing with their posts to try and get an angle.

I know you will not find posts of me saying we are a massive club with massive fanbase, I suspect them same will be with FC and SOG. i will await the attack

Frank, Soggy various people called Nick, loads of others on the bandwagon. About twenty times more people than called Pelle the best in the world or whatever you were going on about yesterday.

Er NO. you are getting a little confused in your old age - On that particular stadium debate, my only point was that cheaper tickets = higher attendance, and that it would be possible to have more flexibility on pricing if capacity were higher.. for some odd reason some took issue and made up a load of ******... but tehn that is pretty typical of this place at times.

Is this the longest thread in the world yet?

I wish :( But there are threads that have been created specifically for that purpose with upwards of 700,000 posts.

We are potentially the longest soccer thread of all time but I imagine that if that were the case the ManU fans would start a thread on their forum just to beat us so shhhhh ;)

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})