Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Christ. The amount of pop up ads on that site!

edit. Kudos to everyone who has kept this thread running for so long. I haven't been around for years, yet here it still is. Like an old friend or a comfy codpiece.

Oh Pamplemousse, you tease. You know how we like chapter and verse here. And a good laugh, of course.

Incidentally, I was in the pub last night to watch England against France and overhead the bar maid talking. Her husband is apparently working on replacing (some of?) the seats at Fratton, so keep an eye open for blue seats appearing in gardens in the PO area. I told her the story about a seat collapsing under one of our players when we went to watch the last women's international at FP and she wasn't surprised...

Christ. The amount of pop up ads on that site!

edit. Kudos to everyone who has kept this thread running for so long. I haven't been around for years, yet here it still is. Like an old friend or a comfy codpiece.

Good to see you back - you were missed.

I think codpieces are much more comfy when they're stuffed with fishfingers. What say you?

Oh Pamplemousse, you tease. You know how we like chapter and verse here. And a good laugh, of course.

Incidentally, I was in the pub last night to watch England against France and overhead the bar maid talking. Her husband is apparently working on replacing (some of?) the seats at Fratton, so keep an eye open for blue seats appearing in gardens in the PO area. I told her the story about a seat collapsing under one of our players when we went to watch the last women's international at FP and she wasn't surprised...

Well there's the fans forum tonight, broadcast live on Radio Solent, so more information will probably come out then.

7pm it starts, if any nutjob fancies giving the thread a running commentary of proceedings for those of us unable/not wanting to listen

You can also tweet your questions to @solentsport although they'll probably filter out ones from Saints fans.

Edited by Pamplemousse

I don't get this urgent need to renovate Fratton Park, it's always been a **** hole. It's been years since I first went there and I remember then having to take a dump in the rain because there was a hole in the corrugated iron roof. To this day it remains the only time in my life I have curled one out whilst being rained on.

I don't get this urgent need to renovate Fratton Park, it's always been a **** hole. It's been years since I first went there and I remember then having to take a dump in the rain because there was a hole in the corrugated iron roof. To this day it remains the only time in my life I have curled one out whilst being rained on.

The urgent need is because of the years of neglect and build-up of cumulative problems. i.e. they never invest in the infrastructure, short-termism rules. No-one remembers winning the "best facilities" cup...

So, just three more days to go then we have to close the thread down. Shame, it's been fun.
Given Eisner's reported accrimonious departure from the Disney boardroom, I would be inclined to hang fire for a few years.... Still a few more chapters in this saga I suspect.... ;)

£1M is going to be spent on FP this season, and £4M needs to be spent over the next few years

And no more money for the playing budget when the takeover goes through. That'll upset them

Doubt it - we know Eisner is not going to spunk loads of money on the playing budget - he has said so himself. Infrastructure, academy and commercial revenue streams will be the priority. No doubt if he wants to make a profit he will have to spend to get to the premiership but it will not be a big bang approach and I for one am happy about that. We have had too many owners risk the club by spunking money we do not have.

I would rather see the club build slowly by improving stuff off the pitch first, particularly as we know the championship is notorious for clubs losing a lot of money. Establish ourselves in L1 this season then push next season is what most of us would like to see.

No doubt like at all clubs you will get the idiots on the news site slating the new regime for not spending huge, but most of us on POL take a more sensible line and a more long term view.

Doubt it - we know Eisner is not going to spunk loads of money on the playing budget - he has said so himself. Infrastructure, academy and commercial revenue streams will be the priority. No doubt if he wants to make a profit he will have to spend to get to the premiership but it will not be a big bang approach and I for one am happy about that. We have had too many owners risk the club by spunking money we do not have.

I would rather see the club build slowly by improving stuff off the pitch first, particularly as we know the championship is notorious for clubs losing a lot of money. Establish ourselves in L1 this season then push next season is what most of us would like to see.

No doubt like at all clubs you will get the idiots on the news site slating the new regime for not spending huge, but most of us on POL take a more sensible line and a more long term view.

So, you're not in favour of football clubs who spend beyond their means on players to win trophies (for example)?

Edited by trousers

Tell Corporate Ho/Banker we say hello.

If you're looking for the best blueprint to follow, perhsps you should copy the approach of a team who managed consecutive promotions from League 1 to the Premier League...

So, you're not in favour of football clubs who spend beyond their means on players to win trophies (for example)?

LOL they all loved it during the "glory" years, you know the ones, those times when they spent more than they had and went bang, twice/Three times wasn`t it... I lost count

We spent well over our means with money that we and our owner at the time did not have. We had no major assets like ground or training ground etc. Other (not all) clubs have excellent/above average infrastructure and owners that actually have money so if it all goes tits up are generally successful enough on and off the pitch they get bought out by genuine people, although as we know there are exceptions

If your asking if we effectively bought the cup, yes we did with money we did not have but am sure we are not the only example - however, we are one of the only ones that went pop because of this

What matters now is we have a chance to improve our off the pitch stuff and this is WAY more important than success on the pitch if we are to have brighter future

We spent well over our means with money that we and our owner at the time did not have. We had no major assets like ground or training ground etc. Other (not all) clubs have excellent/above average infrastructure and owners that actually have money so if it all goes tits up are generally successful enough on and off the pitch they get bought out by genuine people, although as we know there are exceptions

If your asking if we effectively bought the cup, yes we did with money we did not have but am sure we are not the only example - however, we are one of the only ones that went pop because of this

What matters now is we have a chance to improve our off the pitch stuff and this is WAY more important than success on the pitch if we are to have brighter future

Seen you get a bit of stick on here, which is obvious due to the club you support.. but you're probably the most level headed skate I've come across so for that fair play.

Agree with what you say about needed to build infrastructure before you try and push to the PL and then get caught in that vicious circle of outspending your means again.

One thing, the PL money pot will burst soon enough, lets just hope you're not too slow that you miss it as you'll be left with a very unhappy owner (oh and don't destroy the respect I have for you and say that he's brought you because of your most passionate, bestest fans in the world, like the rest of the blue few do..) ;)

Seen you get a bit of stick on here, which is obvious due to the club you support.. but you're probably the most level headed skate I've come across so for that fair play.

Agree with what you say about needed to build infrastructure before you try and push to the PL and then get caught in that vicious circle of outspending your means again.

One thing, the PL money pot will burst soon enough, lets just hope you're not too slow that you miss it as you'll be left with a very unhappy owner (oh and don't destroy the respect I have for you and say that he's brought you because of your most passionate, bestest fans in the world, like the rest of the blue few do..) ;)

The reality of dithering about in the lower bowels of the league has foisted some contrition upon him, it seems. Don't give him too much credit though. He's historically come across as a proper ****.

The reality of dithering about in the lower bowels of the league has foisted some contrition upon him, it seems. Don't give him too much credit though. He's historically come across as a proper ****.

I was going to add a disclaimer that that is based on the 2 posts I've seen from him recently!

Ask him if you can register for his forum then you will find out what of kn ob he is...

Last post as this is my 3rd - I am not the one that says you cannot go on POL its a members decision. So the kn ob comment is null and void IMO. Its not my forum its the members forum as far as I am concerned.

Most of you just want to go on POL so you can cut and paste to here, as that's what used to happen in the previous carnation is it not? Anyway that's me done prolly for another few months. ;)

You do Mack Rill an injustice...he has been a constant on this site and with far more humour than this crunt!

Mero,,,, you t**t iv'e not got that long to live,:scared:

Mero,,,, you t**t iv'e not got that long to live,:scared:
oh dear Mack are you now nearly 14, that's the life expectancy down there isn't it? Cholera and Ricketts are names they have on the back of their shirts, not players names but prognosis

You do Mack Rill an injustice...he has been a constant on this site and with far more humour than this crunt!
I was going to post something similar but it would only go to his head, and his little brain can only take so much info at once :p

Finally in the safe hands of a fantastically wealthy (but they hope financially inept) new owner, and in the never ending battle against the evil forces of taxmen, creditors, petty rule makers and scummahs, Captain Catlin, Wookie Westwood and Princess Penny embark on a new adventure, backed by a valiant new army of mice, ducks, bears, dogs and pirates, and don’t forget the dwarves.

No longer hampered by being the biggest club in the league (that would be Bradford)

Or the most successful (that would be Blackburn)

Or most recently in the premier league (that would also be Blackburn)

Or the richest (take your pick)

How will they fare in their battle to bring Premier League football back where it belongs, to the toothless masses in the seething stadium of passion? Back to back promotions? A three year plan?

The football world waits, breathless.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})