Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Of course you will have bigger attendances.

You have a new owner, cheap season tickets and a bigger capacity I know you boys and girls keep clinging to that one remaining fact of attendance which we concede is true but we have a higher record attendance if you want to go back far enough.

You might have the better supported club on the whole but we have the more succesfull one.

Last post of the day

You have a new owner, cheap season tickets and a bigger capacity I know you boys and girls keep clinging to that one remaining fact of attendance which we concede is true but we have a higher record attendance if you want to go back far enough.

You might have the better supported club on the whole but we have the more succesfull one.

Last post of the day

living in the past, are we?

Last post of the day

so, for one game you had a huge attendance around half a century ago is something to shout about...?

im talking consistantly over the last 50 years we have had (generally) bigger gates..even when you compare "like for like" down the leagues (now we are there) we simply wipe the floor with you on that issue..

like i said, does not make you a bad person to admit we are clearly a better supported club than you....

Sorry.

Oh.

Is this site called Saints Web Forum.

Yes, yes it is.

What's the saying.... something about jeallousy and envy.....?

I'm well aware of what site it is, I've been here for quite a while, probably longer than you.

Jealousy & envy ?? Of you lot ?? :smt081

.... which we concede is true but we have a higher record attendance if you want to go back far enough.

Would you like to go back to the 26 Sept 2000 for a 1st Team fixture against Blackburn, is that far enough back ?

The attendance at Faggott Park that night was 2,731 !!!

Even in our darkest days with the dark lord in charge we have never had a gate as low as that.

Last post of the day

define more successful

your high attendances were due to the policy of letting in navy personnel for free

so, for one game you had a huge attendance around half a century ago is something to shout about...?

im talking consistantly over the last 50 years we have had (generally) bigger gates..even when you compare "like for like" down the leagues (now we are there) we simply wipe the floor with you on that issue..

like i said, does not make you a bad person to admit we are clearly a better supported club than you....

Er Dull days can we keep on thread, Its about Pfc takeover going tits up. Us being up the jolly old Swanee without a paddle, Not having a pot 2pizz in.

The attendance thingy has been done to death. So try keep on topic.;)

Er Dull days can we keep on thread, Its about Pfc takeover going tits up. Us being up the jolly old Swanee without a paddle, Not having a pot 2pizz in.

steady Mack you skates are not allowed a sense of humour. How many s/t's you lot sold so far?35k was the last estimate and you were printing more than the bank of england is notes

The anticipation of your final implosion is starting to lose it's edge a little bit now TBH.

When it first became obvious what was going to happen it was like waiting for Christmas, sadly Christmas seems to have been postponed until mid February.

Would you please get on with it!

Would you like to go back to the 26 Sept 2000 for a 1st Team fixture against Blackburn, is that far enough back ?

Even in our darkest days with the dark lord in charge we have never had a gate as low as that.

Correct, because the matches that go even lower than the example above e.g. the life or death 'save the saints' game are called off when ticket sales don't go above 1500...

Correct, because the matches that go even lower than the example above e.g. the life or death 'save the saints' game are called off when ticket sales don't go above 1500...

I must have missed where glorified testimonials were counted as official first-team attendances, even when none of the then-current squad were scheduled to play...

define more successful

your high attendances were due to the policy of letting in navy personnel for free

In exactly tha same way you give away 5000 freebies to schools and all and sundry who might wander past SMS on matchday....

I must have missed where glorified testimonials were counted as official first-team attendances, even when none of the then-current squad were scheduled to play...

No- this was billed as a 'life or death' game and the fans chance to show how much they love SFC. When the chips were down a pathetic 1500 were bothered enough to buy a ticket. Says it all.......

The anticipation of your final implosion is starting to lose it's edge a little bit now TBH.

When it first became obvious what was going to happen it was like waiting for Christmas, sadly Christmas seems to have been postponed until mid February.

Would you please get on with it!

Yeah! Bastards can`t even get this right!!

No- this was billed as a 'life or death' game and the fans chance to show how much they love SFC. When the chips were down a pathetic 1500 were bothered enough to buy a ticket. Says it all.......

Because whoever billed it as that was an idiot. Clearly it was never going to make one iota of difference and so it prooved. People weren't prepared to throw money at something which was never going to make any difference to the club's plight.

do you conceed that we have traditionally been and still are the better supported club..?

Pre SMS no, I don't. Post SMS yes. SMS has made a huge difference. It's clear that 10,000 people who wouldn't bother to go to 'the skip', because it was a complete shytehole, are more than happy to attend at a modern stadium with modern facilities.

I suspect there are 10,000 people who live in and around Pompey who think exactly the same about Fratton Park....

In exactly tha same way you give away 5000 freebies to schools and all and sundry who might wander past SMS on matchday....
How many s/ts have been sold? Ho has gone all coy on this, perhaps you can forward us the number. 9877 was the figure i was last forwarded but that was a few days ago. Perhaps it will be publicised

at the Solent Fans Forum

Pre SMS no, I don't. Post SMS yes. SMS has made a huge difference. It's clear that 10,000 people who wouldn't bother to go to 'the skip', because it was a complete shytehole, are more than happy to attend at a modern stadium with modern facilities.

I suspect there are 10,000 people who live in and around Pompey who think exactly the same about Fratton Park....

but even pre sms we have had (generally) higher attendances.

you dont need sms to have bigger attendances like for like down the leagues..

surely, you can see this..?

Because whoever billed it as that was an idiot. Clearly it was never going to make one iota of difference and so it prooved. People weren't prepared to throw money at something which was never going to make any difference to the club's plight.

Ah the old 'we all knew salvation was just around the corner so we didn't need to go' argument. Sorry, won't wash. You didn't know that at all, you simply couldn't be bothered, so you stayed away in your thousands during your clubs darkest hour of need...

How many s/ts have been sold? Ho has gone all coy on this, perhaps you can forward us the number. 9877 was the figure i was last forwarded but that was a few days ago. Perhaps it will be publicised

at the Solent Fans Forum

I have no idea. But I wouldn't be surprised if that figure was correct. :confused:

Do you really think that 10,000 people were put off by rubbish facilities? :confused:

I can imagine a few people might be put off, maybe a few hundred, but no more than that.

The Dell was packed, more often than not we couldn't get any more in. We had the demand for increased capacity so we built for it.

No, I can't, and here's the proof....

http://www.nufc.com/2009-10html/attendance-all-time.html

So dispite the fact that you keep telling us how massive your crowds were whilst ours were so small and despite those figures using guestimates and despite you letting Jack Tar in for nowt we will shortly be overtaking you.

You see, for over 1/2 a century SFC have been the bigger club and no matter how you want to spin it, that's just the way it is.

You had your days in the sun and I don't begrudge it, every football fan should have the chance once in their lifetime, but those times are over.

You'll soon start to tumble down and the skates I know are all to aware of it. They are keenly aware that our re-birth coincides with their decline and you're crowds will again shrink to the 10,000 loyal few.

Even in our recent darkest days under the Dark Lord they never approached that and that's because, when you strip out the EPL glory fans, our fanbase is bigger and has been for 50 years.

Live with it, get over it and move on with your life as you appear to be a bit of a no-life saddo on here.

I have seen different figures which show Saints all time average above Pompey's. I recollect that in the last 40 yrs or so Pompey have only had 3 seasons when their average gate was above ours despite, for the large part , having a larger capacity ground, altho to be fair Pompey generally played in a lower division (or two, or occasionally three)

Saints had better crowds up until the mid 1920's, Pompey's were higher until the mid 1960's, albeit with a ground with a max capacity of 50,000+ compared to the Dell at a shade over 30,000, which racked up quite a bit of aggregate gain.

Does it say anywhere what season the aggregate figures start from?

Because everyone knew it was actually a load of well-intentioned, but misguided, hot-air.

I really can't believe there is any debate about which is the bigger club.

It used to be Pompey but for the last 50 years it has been, and still is, Saints. Anyone in the country apart from a few Pompey fans would agree with that. If Pompey stay in the Prem for another five years and Saints are still in the third division it might change, but it hasn't yet. For most living football supporters Pompey are a ramshackle outfit run by a long-line of "interesting" characters who are enjoying the best few years they are likely to for the remainder of their entire existence, whereas Saints are a top level team who are suffering a blip.

Edited by benjii

So dispite the fact that you keep telling us how massive your crowds were whilst ours were so small and despite those figures using guestimates and despite you letting Jack Tar in for nowt we will shortly be overtaking you.

You see, for over 1/2 a century SFC have been the bigger club and no matter how you want to spin it, that's just the way it is.

You had your days in the sun and I don't begrudge it, every football fan should have the chance once in their lifetime, but those times are over.

You'll soon start to tumble down and the skates I know are all to aware of it. They are keenly aware that our re-birth coincides with their decline and you're crowds will again shrink to the 10,000 loyal few.

Even in our recent darkest days under the Dark Lord they never approached that and that's because, when you strip out the EPL glory fans, our fanbase is bigger and has been for 50 years.

Live with it, get over it and move on with your life as you appear to be a bit of a no-life saddo on here.

You can always tell when you guys start getting desperate when the old chestnut about 'the last 50 years' is wheeled out, conveniently airbrushing out the previous 50 because it juuussst doesn't quite fit in with your argument does it?

Another one is the patheticlly weak 'within living memory' quip.

Either way, it's selective and hence not the full picture. Sadly for you the full picture as per the link posted above tells a slightly different story....

The nice little line of abuse at the end merely proves my assertion that a nerve has been touched, hmmmm?

You can always tell when you guys start getting desperate when the old chestnut about 'the last 50 years' is wheeled out, conveniently airbrushing out the previous 50 because it juuussst doesn't quite fit in with your argument does it?

Either way, it's selective and hence not the full picture. Sadly for you the full picture as per the link posted above tells a slightly different story....

The nice little line of abuse at the end merely proves my assertion that a nerve has been touched, hmmmm?

well..when did records begin officially...

certainly was not 1908

Actually, that's just about the strongest argument there is.

HTH

ok well being 13 years older would lower the average wouldnt it.

Not per se but it depends if the average attendance in those years was less than the average attendance in the following years.

Given that football crowds were probably on the general increase through the early days of the game then I suspect, in this case, those extra 13 years probably contained lower crowds.

ok well being 13 years older would lower the average wouldnt it.

No, not necessarily. Say for example you were packing them out in the early years at what, 15k a game for the first 10 years? But then it dipped to say 10k for the next 10 years, your average over the 20 years would be 12.5k wouldn't it?

Not per se but it depends if the average attendance in those years was less than the average attendance in the following years.

Given that football crowds were probably on the general increase through the early days of the game then I suspect, in this case, those extra 13 years probably contained lower crowds.

True, doesnt matter anyway, not sure how they have worked out the average on that table as it isnt by what I said :lol:

No, not necessarily. Say for example you were packing them out in the early years at what, 15k a game for the first 10 years? But then it dipped to say 10k for the next 10 years, your average over the 20 years would be 12.5k wouldn't it?

'tis ok, I assumed it was a simple table of the total attendence divided by the total number of years, in which case the extra 13 years would of lowered it.

But it doesnt work it like that...so I assumed wrong :lol:

Maybe, but you can't really say on the one hand: 'We're the south coasts oldest club', and yet on the other sweep away the (possibly) lower attendance figures from the same period. You can't have it both ways....

is that serious? what was it cup game?