Expat Saints "Fans"...

Guided Missile

...seem to come in two flavours on this site.

1. Last of the Summer Wine
    Usually post in glowing terms about days gone by, trying hard to recapture the glory days, back in the mother country. About as entertaining to read as the TV show of the same name, and also about as relevant, to the fans streaming into St. Marys nowadays. Keep it up guys, I think you know who you are, but don't blame me if I think of Compo, when I read your posts. Let's face it, nostalgia is not what it used to be.
  2. Last of the Scummer Whine
    Usually post in negative terms about anything related to the club, city or the country. In the early stages of going native, so not reached that grumpy charm that Compo has. More the expression that the club, city or country they left behind didn't quite fit their ideals, those that served them so badly when they lived here. Zero entertainment value in their posts at the moment and the only relevance to the fan of today is the possiblity that more impressionable section of our fanbase may detect a slight lowering of their moral, when reading them. I think of Lord Haw Haw when reading the uninformed dirge they post. He was hanged for treason, but I think the penalty for them, when Saints are back in the premiership will be the sight of their gradual decline into a sad exile, never quite belonging to their new country and unable to return to God's country to see their team play...

Usually post in glowing terms about days gone by, trying hard to recapture the glory days, back in the mother country. About as entertaining to read as the TV show of the same name, and also about as relevant, to the fans streaming into St. Marys nowadays. Keep it up guys, I think you know who you are, but don't blame me if I think of Compo, when I read your posts. Let's face it, nostalgia is not what it used to be.
    Usually post in negative terms about anything related to the club, city or the country. In the early stages of going native, so not reached that grumpy charm that Compo has. More the expression that the club, city or country they left behind didn't quite fit their ideals, those that served them so badly when they lived here. Zero entertainment value in their posts at the moment and the only relevance to the fan of today is the possiblity that more impressionable section of our fanbase may detect a slight lowering of their moral, when reading them. I think of Lord Haw Haw when reading the uninformed dirge they post. He was hanged for treason, but I think the penalty for them, when Saints are back in the premiership will be the sight of their gradual decline into a sad exile, never quite belonging to their new country and unable to return to God's country to see their team play...

Racist :cool:

So GM are you saying ban the ex-pats ?

I'm not one, but still find the post pretty poor and definitely not needed.

What exactly is the point of this thread other than to be insulting to all non-UK residents?

The most insulting thing about it was the title and the use of "Fans".

Who the f**k is he to se the standard by which fans are judged ?

The rest of the post is pretty damp-squib...

So GM are you saying ban the ex-pats ?

I'm not one, but still find the post pretty poor and definitely not needed.

What exactly is the point of this thread other than to be insulting to all non-UK resident SAINTS FANS?

Just edited slightly for you, hope you don't mind. :(

Bizarre thread, very political. Someone must have rubbed you up the wrong way I presume. Labelling people is not a good idea really

Sad post. He definitely is grappling with some kind of issue because we've seen this kind of thing from him before. But that's his problem.

Me? I wouldn't change my life over here and it's one of the best things we ever did. Do we miss England, the Saints, friends and family and some other stuff? Damn right. Is it great to come back every so often? You bet - love it. Could we live there again? I doubt it very much. Are we still proud of being Brits? Absolutely.

I've noticed that there are some tiny minds on here who seem to hold it against us that we went to live somewhere else.

Their views, and the way in which they express them, usually say much more about them than they do about us.

Sad post. He definitely is grappling with some kind of issue because we've seen this kind of thing from him before. But that's his problem.

Me? I wouldn't change my life over here and it's one of the best things we ever did. Do we miss England, the Saints, friends and family and some other stuff? Damn right. Is it great to come back every so often? You bet - love it. Could we live there again? I doubt it very much. Are we still proud of being Brits? Absolutely.

I've noticed that there are some tiny minds on here who seem to hold it against us that we went to live somewhere else.

Their views, and the way in which they express them, usually say much more about them than they do about us.

Its jealousy.

How strange.

A total incomprehension, somebody must have upset him, I cannot see any reason why, his posts on here are usually informative and add to the debate.

It shows a complete lack of understanding of how deep a love and concern for our football club exists across EVERY fan, and how much effort so many of us make each season to find a way to listen, watch or get back for matches, whether it is an ex pat travelling from Australia, to a refugee living in Bristol or London. hell, he'll be moaning about fans that live in some other far off location like Salisbury or Romsey next

[

Least of the Summarising Wind-Ups

Oh, dear. Just two flavours? Well, I don't think I belong in either of your two, ever-so-condescending categories.

So, I suppose that makes me a total non-entity in your ever-so-superior eyes.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Hamilton Saint

Couldn't have said it better myself CanadaSaint.

Curios to understand the motivation of the thread... very bizarre statement.

Exactly. Well said.

God there are some T w a t s on this forum

Did you spend more than five coherent minutes dreaming this S@ite up! or are you on drugs moosh! When you grow up you will realise that Southampton FC is a integral part of a large community and in a way similar to religon and politics its meaning is very personal,I find your comments immature and offensive, I also think it is you that has a problem.Just for the record I will be travelling to the UK (Wembley) on the 28th March and win or lose I will add the day to my memories of watching Saints for 40+ years win or lose. On the flight to Gatwick I can guarantee there will be more Saints loving Ex pats who still love there City, Club, Family, Country, and who will have spent a small fortune coming HOME to watch THEIR Southampton! Life, if you have one,can take you to many places for many different reasons, So go and do one you nasty little Pr@ck!

SAINT TILL I DIE SFC THE LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT!

Did you spend more than five coherent minutes dreaming this S@ite up! or are you on drugs moosh! When you grow up you will realise that Southampton FC is a integral part of a large community and in a way similar to religon and politics its meaning is very personal,I find your comments immature and offensive, I also think it is you that has a problem.Just for the record I will be travelling to the UK (Wembley) on the 28th March and win or lose I will add the day to my memories of watching Saints for 40+ years win or lose. On the flight to Gatwick I can guarantee there will be more Saints loving Ex pats who still love there City, Club, Family, Country, and who will have spent a small fortune coming HOME to watch THEIR Southampton! Life, if you have one,can take you to many places for many different reasons, So go and do one you nasty little Pr@ck!

SAINT TILL I DIE SFC THE LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT!

Couldn't agree more. Don't really know what point GM was trying to make, but if he has any mates on here that knows where he lives then I would ask them to visit him soon - it is he that needs help.

As I posted on the Wembley Travel Arrangements thread:

Son phoned - Dad I've got you tickets for Wembley, yeaaaaaahhhhhhhhh good lad...! Aaaahhh but it clashes with an upcoming working trip to Germany...... doooh...!

Google, Google, Google... travel plans; fly Belfast - Amsterdam, drive Amsterdam - Germany - Amsterdam, fly Amsterdam - Gatwick, drive Gatwick - Southampton, train/tube Southampton - Wembley - THE GAME - tube/train Wembly - Gatwick, fly Gatwick - Amsterdam, drive Amsterdam - Germany - no sweat...!!!

And some of you are struggling to get from Southampton to Wembley - c'mon guys, keep up...!!! ;)

We may not be able to make every game - but we do put the effort in to support the team when we can - I'm not claiming to be in GM's 'UberFanClub', but if I lived in England then it is very likely that I too would go to games as regularly as he. Instead of sniping at fans living abroad, perhaps he should just consider us as ambassadors of the club - spreading the word - either that or just STFU.

Well I guess everyone is entitles to their own opinions but I think it's unfair to imply (with the speech marks) that ex-pats are not fans, simply because they are ex-pats. I've worn my Saints shirt with pride in many Asian countries and will continue to do so. And believe me, staying up into the small hours to listen to Jimmy Case or DM, or updating the BBC scores web page every two minutes is not for the faint of heart!

Us fans who choose not to live in the city of Southampton are out there spreading the word and promoting our club wherever we go. Believe me...it's hard work in Australia sometimes as I'm sure some of them still don't know what a round ball is meant for over here. Just like the others on this forum though, there are a mixture of the "happy clappy brigade" (and yes, I do tend to favour that opinion myself most of the time, although I'm obviously not entirely cheerful after yesterday result), and the ""miserable whingers" who generally use the Saints as a whipping post for everything else that is wrong with their lives. However....for whatever reason, they have become Saints supporters and their opinions and comments are just as welcome as yours, GM.

It's not as if you have anything worthwhile or impressive to say yourself anyway, so why make an arse of yourself and denegrate your fellow supporters?

We're all equal as supporters (especially in an online forum!), we're just not all fortunate enough to be able attend each and every game in person, and that is one of the prices we have to pay for wanting a better life for ourselves and our families.

God's country, stop kidding yourself!

:smt038

TBH i still have a belief you are the mercurial photocopier salesman that lends his hat to all that are in trouble (for a little limelight) and this thread sums up the attention seeking nicely.

To keep it short, i am a fan in the UK so have no personal reason to take offence but i have never read a post on the main board that is more interesting than anything the 'ex pats' contribute.

Please until such a time, f*ck off.

Confirmed idiot . Like a lot of others I am Southampton born and bred, Saints through and through. This site gives Saints fans living and working overseas a chance to post comments and enjoy it as much as anyone else.

If you don't like what you read simply go away....hopefully for good !

GM,

Why does it bother you???

I now live in Ireland (not sure if that counts as ex pat), but for it's worth (and obviously IMHO) you're way off the mark on this one !

Come to Ireland and chill out with lot's of stout and friendly people :-)

I reckon we should cut GM some slack.

He is obviously as crashingly disappointed at yesterdays result as any of us. All he has done is vent his spleen. Not in the most sensible or accurate manner, but nevertheless....

What I noted about him is, like Jonah and Saint Richard of Woolston, we usually only see him when there is a major corporate issue related to the club going on. Therefore, he must really be p*ssed to have delivered this rant now.

Well, #2 is clearly an attack on me, but nevertheless he makes a few valid points.

Ex-pats rarely truly feel a sense of belonging to their new country, but have left the UK for geniune reasons and many cannot envisage returning.

Very wise Alps, never good to hang around when there is a mob chasing you down the road with pitch forks and a rope ;)

Personally I couldn't give a ****e where Saints fans come from. The so called whingers are more than welcome to their point of view as are those that are not deemed whingers. Both in there own ways are valid. Just wish that they carry out the personal stuff via PM as generally it just detracts from what could be a decent debate.

Shouldn't this chump be supporting Millwall... ?