• Paul Wotton
    • Dean Hammond ©
    • Adam Lallana
    • Papa Waigo N'Diaye
    • Rickie Lambert
    • Simon Gillett
    • David Connolly
    • Chris Perry

Kelvin 7 - Not a huge amount to do came for crosses well, kicking was average.

Harding 8 - Had to come on to left foot too much but matched their dangerous #10 stride for stride.

Jaidi 7 - Solid in the air. A little ponderous on the floor.

Fonte 9 - Pure class, only thing missing was a pipe and slippers, he has that much time.

Mills 7 - Did what he had to, not much going forward.

Wotton 6 - Didn't add much going forward, thought he protected CB's ok.

Hammond 7 - Lively and covered a lot of ground, not pretty today but good job.

Antonio 8.5 - They couldn't play him today, scared of his pace.

Papa 6.5 - Frustrates the hell out of me, not even he knows what he is going to do.

Lallana 8 - In and out as our focal point seemed to be right hand side. Took goal well and was neat on the ball.

Lambert 8.5 - Led the line well, Scored one, assist another and the cross he sent over eventually led to the 3rd. With him in the side we always have goals in us.

Gilett 7

Connoly 7

Perry (1 minute)

Davis 7 - Did what he had to do, made some good saves and caught a few crosses (!) to ensure that we kept a clean sheet for most of the game.

Harding 8 - Didn't look as awkward at RB as I was anticipating. Their winger was pacy and looked to get the better of him at times, but he made some great tackles and looked good going forward.

Mills 7 - Made some good tackles, didn't get much of the ball but not much bother for him as their right winger was pretty anonymous.

Fonte 9 - Easily the best defender we've had since the days of Killer and Claus. Made some great last-ditch tackles and never looked like losing a header.

Jaidi 8 - Very solid, looked a bit tired towards the end and perhaps should've been taken off a bit earlier. No worries for him today.

Wotton 6 - He's enthusiastic, but he's not really got that much else going for him. Can't pass and his tackling was a bit iffy sometimes but he played the anchor man role relatively well. We missed Schneiderlin though, wouldn't have played Wotton over him in a month of sundays.

Hammond 7 - Low-key performance but he was still an important part of the team. Harried their midfielders and made some good interceptions.

Antonio 9 (MoM) - He showed what he can do today. Looked like he had a free role in the first half, and he really scared their defenders. Took his goal very well, and he's surely earned a contract at SMS now!

Lallana 9 - Very committed performance from Adam, never stopped running and his trickery was a bit too much sometimes for their defenders. Took his goal very well as well.

Lambert 8 - Tucked away the penalty nicely and bothered the defenders as well. You could see that he missed Barnard playing off him, but all in all a very good performance.

Waigo 7 - Had his goal put on a plate for him, but still did well to score when he could've easily missed. I really wanted him to just run at his markers sometimes like Antonio does, but he's toned down that erratic side of his game now I think and got a bit more cultured.

Davis: 7. One or two good saves, largely had nothing to do though. Kicking was iffy.

Harding: 9. My MOTM, though it is so hard to choose. Harding has a good footballing brain, and kept the right side quiet all game. All this on the wrong side of defence.

Fonte: 9. Immense. A man mountain, nothing got past him. Also mops up in other positions when they're out of position. I probably biasedly just shaded Harding as MOTM than Fonte.

Jaidi: 8. Again, unbeatable in the air. Looks a tad flustered when it's on the deck but still very good performance.

Mills: 8. Started nervously but in the second half he really came into form.

Antonio: 8. He IS quality, although at times he looks a bit lazy. Perhaps our best outlet today. Only caught his goal out of the corner of my eye as I was fixated on the Saints support. I'd watch the highlights but I'm up at 3am for work tomorrow.

Wotton: 5. Was very poor IMO, tackles went astray, passing went astray. Normally does the simple things ok, but this was not his day. We missed Morgan IMO.

Hammond: 7. Was seemingly doing the work of two people in midfield, crisp passing and a good work rate today.

Lallana: 8. He's our dangerman IMO, some clever touches, and he and Lambert have a real understanding of where each other is going to be. Some nice one twos, and a well taken goal, though should have scored at least twice more.

Lambert: 8. He was, simply, Ricky Lambert. I didn't doubt him for a second when he stepped up for that penalty.

Waigo: 7. I wasn't suprised he got a goal, but his touches weren't coming off today. Doesn't work as hard as Barnard, but has got quality in his locker, it's a case of trying to get him to use it. I noticed he was milking it when he came off.

Subs: Perry - glad to see him given an appearance at Wembley, especially as Fonte has kept him out the JPT team, but unrated.

Gillett - 7 Actually did well coming on, had a shot which ended up going for a corner, perhaps Pards should have started him instead of Wotton, but we'll never know.

Connolly - 6 Hardly had a touch.

Pardew - 9 Did what he could with the players he had available.

Davis - 7 - Atrocious distribution but otherwise very solid

Harding - 9 - Didn't give their winger a sniff, brilliant barring one error

Fonte - 8 - Excellent

Jaidi - 7 - Gave away one or two sloppy free kicks but otherwise very good

Mills - 7 - Bit prone to hoofing but very good

Wotton - 6 - Bit anonymous but solid

Hammond - 8 - Worked very hard, constantly closing down

Lallana - 9 - Link up play superb, could have had a hat trick if not for their keeper

Papa Waigo - 7 - Very easy finish for his goal, I can't recall him being offside :shock:

Lambert - 8 - His mere presence, let alone excellent play scared the living daylights out fo their defence

Antonio - 9 - Gave the Carlisle defence a torrid time, quality goal

Sorry to hijack your thread Chalet, but I've added a MOTM poll.

Davis - 7 Didn't have much to do, but did it well enough. Kicking a bit erratic.

Harding - 8 Very composed on the wrong side, great distribution.

Fonte - 8 Pure class

Jaidi - 8 Big lump. Wins it. Excellent

Mills - 7 Solid

Antonio - 9 Set up three goals before scoring one himself which was better than any of them. Sign him up!!

Wotton - 7 Solid if unspectacular. Proved we can cope, and win convincingly, without Morgan.

Hammond - 7 Ran the show pretty well, putting in some decent tackles.

Lallana - 9 Worked his socks off.

Lambert - 8 Good work ethic, great pen, good assist for Lallana's goal.

Waigo - 6 Switched around with Antonio a lot first half, but not as good IMO. Still an asset with his pace.

Subs:

Gillett - 7 When I saw him tossing himself off in May, I never thought I'd be seeing him play at Wembley*. Good near post shot in injury time.

Connolly/Perry - n/a not enough time.

*This incident occured on a pontoon in the Red Sea. He was scuba diving.

Fonte was the best player on the pitch easily, Lambert did play a hand in the goals but so did Antonio (apart from the penalty) but Fonte was just a class above, especially in the first half he made some awesome challenges and took a bit of a battering but like all good centre halves got straight back up and on with the job.

Kelvin - 8

Mills - 8

Fonte - 10

Jaidi - 8

Harding - 9

Wotton - 4

Antonio - 9

Waigo - 7.5

Hammond - 7

Lallana - 8

Lambert 9

Fonte was the best player on the pitch easily, Lambert did play a hand in the goals but so did Antonio (apart from the penalty) but Fonte was just a class above, especially in the first half he made some awesome challenges and took a bit of a battering but like all good centre halves got straight back up and on with the job.

Kelvin - 8

Mills - 8

Fonte - 10

Jaidi - 8

Harding - 9

Wotton - 4

Antonio - 9

Waigo - 7.5

Hammond - 7

Lallana - 8

Lambert 9

The penalty was given from an Antonio cross in for Lambert. RL would probably have gotten on the end of it if he wasn't pushed.

He might have gotten it it if the Carlisle player hadn't pushed it over his head. The penalty was for handball;

Was it. Looked to me like the defender had put his arm up and pushed him in the back, but then we were up in the nosebleeds. I'll take your word for it.

Was it. Looked to me like the defender had put his arm up and pushed him in the back, but then we were up in the nosebleeds. I'll take your word for it.

The lino put his flag across his chest, whether that means it was for handball I haven't a clue. Any linos out there?

Davis - 7 - Didnt have much to do, but what he did do he did well.

Harding - 7 - I really rate Harding. On the wrong side of defence and whilst there was a patch when their winger looked lively, he kept the left side pretty quiet.

Fonte - 8 - He is very, very good. Looked a class above.

Jaidi - 7 - Wins everything. Looked a little nervy with the ball at the feet, but what an absolute tank.

Mills - 7 - Looked really solid. One great clearance too.

Antonio - 8 - Was all over the place causing problems. Deserved his goal. Looking much more well rounded compared to when he joined.

Hammond - 7 - Misses Spiderman next to him, but did hos job.

Wotton - 6 - Didnt do badly by any means, but unspectacular.

Lallana - 8 - They couldnt track his runs into the box and was very lively.

Waigo - 7 - I had a dream he'd score in that exact fasion, wierd.

Lambert - 8 - Makes it looke easy, great penalty and lead the line extremely well. His link up play is very good.

Thought it was a nice touch to give Perry a run out too. Was great to win in such easy fasion even though I've seen us play a lot better. Quality result. Could't believe those Carlisle fans leaving after 50 minutes, but fair play to those who stayed and kept the spirits up!

The lino put his flag across his chest, whether that means it was for handball I haven't a clue. Any linos out there?

Nope. Just means penalty.

Funnily enough I saw the lino give it today and not the ref pointing at the spot.

It was the most blatant handball you're ever likely to see, yet the ref somehow managed to miss it! Thankfully the lino didn't.

Harding was my MOTM, playing on his weak side too. Brilliant. Fonte second, Lambert was also wonderful.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh happy times :) Who cares if it's "only the JPT"? Who the **** cares? :D

A great win today and when we scored the 4th it was 65 mins into the match. The defense was awesome and held Carlisle off - they played some pretty decent approach work but didn't have the ability to get past the Saints back 4. As a consequence Davies didn't have too much to do.

I woted Jaidi my MoM, but Harding was excellent at RB, Mills had a good game at LB and Fonte was class. My one criticisim of Fonte was that several time, when under no or little pressure he head the ball straight back to Carlisle.

Well played Saints !!

Yeah watching the TV replay it was the most blatant handball you'll ever see and on another day the defender may well have got sent off for it.

Dan Harding for me. Didn't give up, played his heart out (as usual) and was in the thick of it all the time. Big bonus for us in Block 333 was Matty sat in the next row behind us and chatted, signed autographs, shook hands and even did the 'star' stance as we sang his song 'Le Tiss Le Tiss Takes the p.ss. Brilliant! Thanks for your company Matt.

A few candidates for MOTM today IMO.

Any one of Fonte, Harding, Antonio, Lallana or Lambert could have taken it.

For me though, Fonte just edges it. The guy is a class above and we are lucky that we managed to convince him to join us!

Between Fonte and Harding for me, but because Harding wasn't actually playing in his natural position - he gets it.

also a bit of appreciation for Millsy, who i thought played really well today. It was a big game for him - and he looked assured and did all the right things.

superb.

Just seen the pen on BBC2. Didn't see the handball in real life, thought it was the other defender (number 21) penalised for a shove on Rickie.

We were up in the gods behind the commentators and I could see the handball from there, and the lino put his flag across his chest immediately. The referee blew very quickly but I'm not sure if he saw it himself. It ought to have been a red card, really, but in the end it didn't matter.

Tough decision.

At the game itself, I thought Harding was immense. Thought Antonio was pretty good - and very good in 2nd half. Thought Lambert was okay, actually quite good, but not great - was surprised he won MOTM at the stadium.

Lambert and Antonio look very good on the BBC2 highlights though. I voted for Antonio, slightly sentimental vote.

Antonio for me. Fonte was the best player on the pitch, a league or two above most others, but we know that and he delivers every time. Antonio has been unpredictable but he had a big impact on this game. Dan wasn't far behind, vey good game.

What a great day out, I'm looking forwards to many more especially the way AP is talking about building the team.

What a difference a year makes!

Just before Connolly came on, Carlise were beginning to get a grip and had scored, with Saints under pressure at the back. Connolly transformed them by adding urgency to the attack and tracking back to our penalty area when needed. It wasn't just the few touches he had, although one exchange near the left corner was top quality, but his positioning meant Saints were a threat again. Can understand Pardew not bringing on subs earlier as the starting 11 were playing well and the game was won anyway, but it was a reminder of just how good Connolly is. The vote is slightly toungue-in-cheek as he wasn't on long enough to be a contender for MoM but you could see the potential influence he could have had if he'd been on longer.

Edited by Professor