Away fans NOT being moved

NickG

Maybe they should build a new TV gantry on the Itchen Roof, St Marys would look a whole lot better on the box as the Kingsland's usually full as is the 'home' half of the Northam. Away fans would be out of sight too.

I realise cameras are generally in the west stand because of the sun but plenty of grounds have switched sides before, West Ham and Villa to name a couple.

SMS has looked empty on TV this season with gates over 20k.

I know it's right for the police to have a significant say on this but, technically/legally, do they have the ultimate sanction on this or could cortese have said: "thanks for the advice chaps but we're going ahead anyway."

I assume they can refuse to police games which probably answers my question

I know it's right for the police to have a significant say on this but, technically/legally, do they have the ultimate sanction on this or could cortese have said: "thanks for the advice chaps but we're going ahead anyway."

I assume they can refuse to police games which probably answers my question

Without Police approval no safety certificate can be given for SMS and without that SMS can not be used as a venue for games, so yes the Police do have the final say.

Quel suprise!!!!! It was obvious to all bar Cortese that the Police would not let it happen! Maybe none of his staff had the balls to tell him that Wilde tried the same thing a while back and had it blocked by the Police?

Possibly not as cut and dried as all that. Saints probably entered into talks with the Police about plans and options were discussed. When it came down to the conditions of each option in terms of money needed to alter the infrastructure in and around SMS, I suspect there are more pressing budgetary priorities. Also, there's the fact that Cortese has already mentioned that when the time is right, a new stadium could well be on the shopping list, so what's the point of investing too much in SMS now?

That is good news. Atmosphere would have died if they moved the away fans, thats a fact.

Atmosphere would not have died....too many people on hear hung up on having the away fans next to the main singers.,...dare I say it, probably everyone under20/25 who know nothing other than St Marys!!

FACT....fans will sing wherever the away fans and when a team only brings a couple of hundred they won't make any difference anyway.

It is home fans that make the atmosphere NOT the away fans wherever they sit....FACT

That is good news. Atmosphere would have died if they moved the away fans, thats a fact.

Maybe. But how many times have there been away fans close to block 42 this year. Not much more than a handful and will probably be even less next year.

I have always wished for saints to have a proper kop end. I doubt the Kop or the Stretford the Holt end would be so intimidating if the away fans were next to them.

If you go to a game so you can spend most of the time facing the away fans so you caqn look hard, then you are wasting your money.

As an exercise go to another part of the ground and you will see that the away fans diffuse the home fans singing due to thir noise being a barrier. When i have been in the iTchen oyou cant hear the Northam if the away section is large.We have diluted the strenght of our support by our insistance off ahaving to stand next to the away section.

A nonsense IMO

I have always wished for saints to have a proper kop end. I doubt the Kop or the Stretford the Holt end would be so intimidating if the away fans were next to them.

If you go to a game so you can spend most of the time facing the away fans so you caqn look hard, then you are wasting your money.

As an exercise go to another part of the ground and you will see that the away fans diffuse the home fans singing due to thir noise being a barrier. When i have been in the iTchen oyou cant hear the Northam if the away section is large.We have diluted the strenght of our support by our insistance off ahaving to stand next to the away section.

A nonsense IMO

Problem is that The Northam end would become similar to The Chapel if the away fans are moved.

I cannot see it being full week in and week out.

What really WOULD make a difference to our vocal support is if more people got behind the team all around the ground, wouldn't really matter so much what those in the Northam and or Itchen do or don't do. Aint going to happen though is it......

A nonsense IMO

In which case move everyone from the Northam to the Chapel and the kids to the other end. Do as all the big boys do and have a full Kop and worry about the others after that.

It's not as if people didn't have the chance to make the Chapel a kop end. That's what it was intended to be' date=' but people chose to sit next to the away fans.[/quote']

No , i think the problem was that loads decided they had to stand next to the away fans, it's their birthright it seems, and so the chance of a Kop end has been lost.

In the 60's the Milton end was our KOp end, only the introduction of the family centre made the fans find elsewhere to go.

Why don't the club just stick the away fans in one of the corners of the ground. Either in the Itchen or Kingland stand? Both the Northam and chapel stands should be full of Saints fans. Even if the ground isn't so full it would be better than it looks when there aren't very many away fans in the Northam end.

One other possible option to help create a 'Kop' would be if the club made it more attractive for the more vocal fans to entice them to the Chapel (rename it for a start!). They could (somehow) suggest that stewards would be more tolerant of ‘animated’ fans (and standing) in this end (as they appear to be with the Northam upper), possibly make the front two rows for the laying out of fans flags/banners to add a bit of colour like you see more so around Europe. Have more beer counters in the ‘Chapel’ concourse, even a smokers half-time escape route outside this end, that would be popular (not for me), anything to make it slightly more attractive than the Northam.

Just a thought – flame away.

One other possible option to help create a 'Kop' would be if the club made it more attractive for the more vocal fans to entice them to the Chapel (rename it for a start!). They could (somehow) suggest that stewards would be more tolerant of ‘animated’ fans (and standing) in this end (as they appear to be with the Northam upper), possibly make the front two rows for the laying out of fans flags/banners to add a bit of colour like you see more so around Europe. Have more beer counters in the ‘Chapel’ concourse, even a smokers half-time escape route outside this end, that would be popular (not for me), anything to make it slightly more attractive than the Northam.

Not sure they'd legally be able to do that, but a good idea nonetheless.

I quite often sit around block 8/9 (Usually because Ive booked too late) and the atmosphere is always dead. I would happily sing/chant but I always feel like I would be the only one.... It desperately needs some of the Northam goers to get in there and get people going ;-)

Why don't the club just stick the away fans in one of the corners of the ground. Either in the Itchen or Kingland stand? Both the Northam and chapel stands should be full of Saints fans. Even if the ground isn't so full it would be better than it looks when there aren't very many away fans in the Northam end.

This, the best solution all round is to have the away fans in the northam end of the Kingsland so we have the whole of the northam for home fans with the away lot still next to them.

This, the best solution all round is to have the away fans in the northam end of the Kingsland so we have the whole of the northam for home fans with the away lot still next to them.

The major flaw with that is that they would have to walk past the whole end of Saints fans to get there!!

I am not sure why the club wants to go down this route, perhaps to get rid of the Itchen north lads from the main stand, but if Cortese really wanted a `cop' he could close the Itchen north block 4 and put the family centre in Northam end. That would force fans to relocate into his `cop'.

Cortese talked in interview of eventually expanding St Mary's or moving to a new site.

This news probably increases the chances of the relocation appearing to be more appealing. That way a purpose designed "Kop stand" can be built from scratch.

I have heard the plan is to build an 'Old Trafford of the South'. the skates were offered a ground share but turned it down. 80,000 was the size of the ground as i heard it.

I have heard the plan is to build an 'Old Trafford of the South'. the skates were offered a ground share but turned it down. 80,000 was the size of the ground as i heard it.

Are you denying Cortese said they would consider a relocation? His words were pretty clear, they intend to expand St Mary's or relocate to a new site.

If you look at it as an outsider that is effectively almost what they did when St Mary's opened. The chapel end was clearly intended to be the home 'kop', as a whole end, with away fans given a bit of an end, round into a corner at the opposite end.

Unfortunately football fans don't think like that ..hence the noisy fans went in the northam instead of the chapel, to be next to the way fans.

Meanwhile the club decided not to let the away fans get too close to the hospitality seats, so they tend to get the end before they get the corner, and also the segregation gap next to the away fans has grown to a ludicrous size, bigger than originally needed, thereby squashing the actual 'kop' into only half of the northam.

K.

If you look at it as an outsider that is effectively almost what they did when St Mary's opened. The chapel end was clearly intended to be the home 'kop', as a whole end, with away fans given a bit of an end, round into a corner at the opposite end.

Unfortunately football fans don't think like that ..hence the noisy fans went in the northam instead of the chapel, to be next to the way fans.

Meanwhile the club decided not to let the away fans get too close to the hospitality seats, so they tend to get the end before they get the corner, and also the segregation gap next to the away fans has grown to a ludicrous size, bigger than originally needed, thereby squashing the actual 'kop' into only half of the northam.

K.

When we moved to St Mary's most fans moved to stay consistent with their positions at the Dell.

Most Archers Road went to the Northam to continue the standing.

A lot of the old lower east lads went to the Itchen corner.

Away fans were stuck inbetween them, only difference being they were now behind the goal rather than the upper/lower east corner.

I'm not really sure what the solution is, but it would be nice if the atmosphere improved at st marys, it amazes me how large areas of the stadium sit in complete silence, with often the most noise made being a moan as a player gives the ball away, or abusing the ref.

We must be the only team that attacks towards it,s kop end in the first half and lets the opposition benefit from attacking towards it,s own fans in the second,bizaar. It was amazing looking at that vast area of segregation behind the goal on Saturday.

Not sure they'd legally be able to do that' date=' but a good idea nonetheless.[/quote']

Legally no but it could be made clear this end would attract a 'lively' type of supporter and not particularly suitable for very young/old/infirm fans!

Making it unallocated seating may also appeal.

Never understood how this even got aired in the first place. There are hundreds of empty seats in the northam already so its clear fans want to sit elsewhere.

What? It's probably the most popular part of the ground along with the seats on the half way line.

Maybe they should build a new TV gantry on the Itchen Roof, St Marys would look a whole lot better on the box as the Kingsland's usually full as is the 'home' half of the Northam. Away fans would be out of sight too.

I realise cameras are generally in the west stand because of the sun but plenty of grounds have switched sides before, West Ham and Villa to name a couple.

SMS has looked empty on TV this season with gates over 20k.

I'm not sure why you are worried how St Mary's looks on the telly? The attendance is what it is. What difference does it make?

In this instance doing nothing is by far the best course of action . I like to feel that the somewhat 'unenthusiastic' reception many of us on here gave this plan helped (along with Police concerns) to kill it .

You are allowed to sing and shout (within reason) in any stand at St Marys - there's no need to be shy .

I reckon NC will get a new stadium in a few years if he can't find some solution.

A slightly easier way would to completely rebuild the Northam stand, extending it by 3 or 4 thousand and square it off like a proper Kop stand. The current season ticket holders and the away fans would have to be 'temporarily' relocated, whilst building work is being carried out. Then wherever the away fans have been placed would become their permanent section.