Challengers next season

Kingsland Red

With Leeds and Norwich gone and all the clubs coming down in financial difficulties dare I suggest Division 1 is not going to be as strong this coming season.

Supporting a club with no track record for making things easy, I'm hoping the Markus feel good factor, along with the quality of the squad AP is putting together see off the opposition but wonder which other clubs we can expect to get our stress levels up?

Certainly Charlton and Swindon/Millwall.

Not sure of the finances at Notts County.

Brighton (?)

Charlton will be a shell of the side of this year. They have huge money problems and may go into administration over the summer.

Sheff Weds will be strong, but won't spend much as they also have money problems.

Plymouth and Peterborough will be top half probably playoffs but shouldn't pose much of a threat.

Hudddersfield will be strong as will Millwall if they stay down. Swindon if they don't go up may lose a few players.

Brighton will have a much better season.

Edited by Matthew Le God

With Leeds and Norwich gone and all the clubs coming down in financial difficulties dare I suggest Division 1 is not going to be as strong this coming season.

Supporting a club with no track record for making things easy, I'm hoping the Markus feel good factor, along with the quality of the squad AP is putting together see off the opposition but wonder which other clubs we can expect to get our stress levels up?

Certainly Charlton and Swindon/Millwall.

Not sure of the finances at Notts County.

Brighton (?)

I've said a few times that Norwich, Leeds and Charlton are far stronger teams than Peterborough and Plymouth for example.

I think the league will be slightly easier but it will still be very tough. We must get out of the blocks very quickly and be very consistent. We have to make a strong start and get other teams to fear playing us for as much of the season as possible. We also HAVE to get consistent at beating teams getting 11 men behind the ball on a ploughed field

It doesn't matter, if we dont go up its our own fault. We are the only team in the division with any real money, already have IMO the best squad which is going to be added to with better players. A challenge will come from Huddersfield, Sheff Wed, Millwall/Swindon, Plymouth and i'd expect MK Dons and Brighton to have better seasons, but if we dont go up we only have ourselves to blame.

The only team I am really worried about is Peterborough, and if Millwall fail to get promoted them as well. Brighton will be around the play offs.

Sheff Wed, Charlton will struggle financially and I don't think Swindon will be as good as this season.

I will get it out of the way before someone else does. WE WILL WALK THIS LEAGUE !

There is no given right to winning this or any league. It will only come through good planning, preparation, and execution. Every team in the league will be raising there game to play us. So we could have 46 cup finals on our hands. Assumptions about walking it are wide of the mark.

Yes,if Poyet remains in charge.5live were however already talking openly today of him as a contender for the skates job once Grunt has gone.

Can't see that. Brighton are a bigger club and have a much brighter future.

There is no given right to winning this or any league. It will only come through good planning, preparation, and execution. Every team in the league will be raising there game to play us. So we could have 46 cup finals on our hands. Assumptions about walking it are wide of the mark.

Quite aware of that,it was intended as a joke as it,s a comment that people on here often make.

46 cup finals? I think it's foolish to have so many cup competitions, especially when no one seems to have heard of most them. That's the problem with football nowadays.....too many stupid mickey mouse cups. I guess people are just desperate to make some money. I think we should leave it as it, 3 big cup competitions is more than enough. And imagine this board! It all kicked off when we won the JPT, with people saying it cost us promotion. Imagine playing in 46 finals.....we'd be relegated or something.

I think there's two teams comming down, one comming up and three or four in this league that could ask questions, add to that the fluke's, off day's and new players gelling. Nothing easy about next season. It will be entirely centered on every one doing thier job. The back bone has been put in place, now let's see the lung,kidney's and heart.

I will get it out of the way before someone else does. WE WILL WALK THIS LEAGUE !

We fear no foe!

I thought we had already won the league?

Spot on - I don't think we even need to turn up, it's a 'gimme'. Let the rest fight it out for second place...! :rolleyes:

Peterborough will be the biggest treat out of the three coming down.

Brighton will be up there, rumour is that they've got a massive transfer budget in the summer.

Sheffield Wednesday will be around the play offs.

Huddersfield and Swindon/Millwall will challenge for top two.

Well there will be four South Coast derby's to look forward next season!! Plymouth, Exeter, Bournemouth and Brighton!

You been listening to 'Dave in Sweden'?

Southampton v Exeter (230 mile round trip) and Southampton v Plymouth (300 mile round trip) are no more south coast 'derbies' than Southend v Sunderland are east coast 'derbies'.

There's no more rivalry with any of these clubs than there is with any northern team and not by any stretch of the imagination a 'derby'.

Sheff wednesday will be the biggest club down in league one but they're saddled with debt and no sign of investment. I still excpect them to be challanging for the top spot though.

The Posh are under an experinced manager at this level rumour among their fans is they are buying Matt Oakley from Leciester for 500K which is a big spend for them.

Plymouth have BWP as their main striker (unless he leaves) so nothing to fear there;)

Notts county have a load of debt from the Sven debacle so I imagine they'll have to sell this summer to reduce their wage bill which is rumoured to be large for a club their size.

Charlton won't be the same squad next year big money problems the fans think everything worth ££ will be sold this summer. Next years team is going to be Loans and youth.

Edited by doddisalegend

You know as well as I do that a lot of Plymouth fans count us as rivals.

But for us it's not reciprocated - we probably are one of their nearer games but for us it's about the same distance and relevance as any team from the West Midlands.

We have countless 'rivals' in less than half the distance, some we'll be playing next season, namely B'muff, Brighton and Brentford, plenty more with far less miles to travel.

Either Millwall or Swindon, whichever club doesn't go up, will be tough teams to visit. Charlton possibly too. I'm looking forward to some entertaining matches.

I'd predict Charlton will fall away next season, they've got financial issues and will probably lose 1 or 2 decent players and their crowds are going to drop significantly - they'll struggle for 10k for some matches.

Only 21,000 for their play-off game the other night - shocking!

We can only get stronger.

Can anyone explain why Millwall fans shout "MIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLL" at random times? It can't be to impress or intimidate, as it does neither. It sounds sh*t.

I think it sounds okay, i remember when they played at the Dell in about 1988 they did it loudly for what seemed like about 20 minutes. Better than any song sung at 1 billion MPH with clapping to go with it.

Huddersfield were shocking last night; let's hope that they carry that form on into next season.

Peterborough will have the "Johnson effect" but will have very little to spend; they had the smallest playing budget in the CCC.

Charlton have big money problems and I couldn't believe that they didn't sell out on Monday night.

I think that it'll end up with either Swindon or Millwall finishing second to us; as someone said earlier...."Nothing can go wrong now !!" :-)

Charlton, Sheff Wed, Plymouth, Huddersfield and Swindon/Millwall will be our main contenders. Brighton, MK Dons and Bristol Rovers will push play offs but won't pose us much of a threat. The only real challenger for title will be losing play off finalist IMO.

I think Charlton over achieved this season, and do not believe they will be a threat next year. I do know a bit about Plymouth though, being nearest to my present home. I watched more Argyle games last season than Saints, though not from choice. I often accompanied my neighbour to their games, just for moral support for him! I will be surprised if they don't have another season fighting relegation. Whoever said Wright Phillips was their best player was spot on in my opinion, so that will tell you something. I believe the loser of the play-off, plus Huddersfield, will be the biggest rivals to Saints next season. I have utmost faith in Pardew and his management team. It is clear they know what they are doing, regardless of the opinions of some experts on this forum, some of whom have quite wonderful ideas of their own judgement. I especially liked the comment of one expert, from one of the higher regions of Europe, who questioned the playing of just one forward. Away to Bristol Rovers it was, and we did go a goal down. Can't remember the final result, though Pardew did persist with 4-5-1.

Just a stab in the dark, but I'd guess that the league will divide up something like this (there will obviously be one or two exceptions):

Challengers:

Southampton

Sheffield Wednesday

Peterborough Utd

Millwall or Swindon Town

Playoff contenders:

Huddersfield Town

Charlton Athletic

Colchester United

Bristol Rovers

Brighton and Hove Albion

Plymouth Argyle

Mid table (looking over their shoulders):

Brentford

Walsall

Milton Keynes Dons

Carlisle United

Yeovil Town

Oldham Athletic

Leyton Orient

Exeter City

Notts County

Favourites for the drop:

Tranmere Rovers

Hartlepool United

Bournemouth

Rochdale

Dagenham or Aldershot or Morecambe or Rotherham

I'm glad QPR have signed Mackie from Plymouth, he'd have scored quite a few.

Hopefully Millwall will go up, everytime I've watched them they haven't been anything special, but know how to get results.

I'm not sure Swindon can sustain another good season if they stay down, depends whether they keep their players - a few are loan deals like Ward from Bolton.

Huddersfield certainly need to continue their good home form and find some sort of away form if they're to challenge and hopefully Charlton are on the decline like most seem to think.

Peterbrough and Sheffield Wednesday biggest threats.

For all those who have heard Brighton are going to be spending big in the summer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/8651587.stm

Brighton boss Gus Poyet has warned agents and players the Seagulls will not pay big wages next season.

Poyet quashed reports of major investment and revealed his budget would increase by no more than 10%.

"There are rumours of an investment of £10m to £14m and I can tell you they are not true."

Challengers:

Southampton

Sheffield Wednesday

*Millwall

Colchester United

Playoff contenders:

Huddersfield Town

*Swindon Town

Brighton

Brentford ... my outside bet to do well

Top half

Walsall

Charlton Athletic

Bristol Rovers

Notts County

Bottom half

Peterborough Utd

Plymouth Argyle

MK Dons ... outside bet to go down, appear to be in disarray at the moment

Carlisle United

Yeovil Town

Leyton Orient

Exeter City

Hartlepool United

Favourites for the drop:

Oldham Athletic

Tranmere Rovers

Bournemouth

Rochdale

Dagenham or Aldershot or Morecambe or Rotherham

Sheff Wed wont be challenging with their current squad. I live in Sheffield at the moment and that team is woeful, cant do anything right. They have also released quite a few players including some that were in their starting 11. Unless they get investment over the summer and spend some money (unlikely) then they will not even make the top 6.

You know as well as I do that a lot of Plymouth fans count us as rivals.

who are these then..I have lived here for over 10 years.. and apart from the luggy thing, they dont really care too much..

the odd person may do..but in general we are not their rivals...

why do our fans (or some) keep insisting we we are

Having watched all three relegated sides on several occasions throughout the season I can confirm that none of them are any good. Peterborough may have Johnson now, but they have a dearth of talent in their squad. Plymouth have lost Jamie Mackie leaving them with Bradley Wright-Phillips to lead the line. Nuff said on that one. While Wednesday have a few decent players, but are haemorrhaging money so I cannot see them maintaining their current squad. All in all, with a couple of decent signings we should walk this league... ;)

I wonder who next seasons suprise package will be? This year it was Swindon I reckon thanks to clever use of loans and probably the player find of the year. Could it be Brizzile Rovers next year? Apparently their are strong rumours they might be signing a certain Lloyd James to play right back;)

who are these then..I have lived here for over 10 years.. and apart from the luggy thing, they dont really care too much..

the odd person may do..but in general we are not their rivals...

why do our fans (or some) keep insisting we we are

Pretty much everyone I walked past in Plymouth when I went to Uni there. And also a lot of my friends who are Plymouth fans. Just because you don't get out doesn't mean it's not true. They think they're massive rivals of ours.

Pretty much everyone I walked past in Plymouth when I went to Uni there. And also a lot of my friends who are Plymouth fans. Just because you don't get out doesn't mean it's not true. They think they're massive rivals of ours.

well, I have lived here for over 10 years, been to countless plymouh games over the years, know and work with god knows how many plymouth fans..and in general, you are wrong..