Those bloody horns

Yeh but the travelling England lot will have the sheffield wednesday band ruining our support, seriously gimpy being an England fan nowadays, thye just follow the band, ghey ghey7 ghey, someone needs to murder the band members.

at least the band changes tune/gets people singing most of the time/have a rest

those fuking hornes do nothing apart from make pointless noise

Yeh but the travelling England lot will have the sheffield wednesday band ruining our support, seriously gimpy being an England fan nowadays, thye just follow the band, ghey ghey7 ghey, someone needs to murder the band members.

The band are indeed ghey, they don't even do requests.

They refused to do "No Surrender to the IRA", "10 German Bombers" or "Two World Wars and one World Cup", spoilsports

You are a class 1 idiot, as delldays has pointed out Sheffield Wednesday actually get the crowd to join in and change tunes, these horns are just annoying and don't get the crowd involved whatsoever. I suggest you try to be part of the fan club before passing judgment.

The word 'mindless noise' has been used to describe this pointless row, and that seems the most apt phrase. I am sure that if during Euro '96 the England contigent had blown recorders (part of our culture, innit...) for 90 minutes during every match that FIFA would have acted, and they should act now to save the spectacle and the nerves of any fan with an IQ higher than 40...

The word 'mindless noise' has been used to describe this pointless row, and that seems the most apt phrase. I am sure that if during Euro '96 the England contigent had blown recorders (part of our culture, innit...) for 90 minutes during every match that FIFA would have acted, and they should act now to save the spectacle and the nerves of any fan with an IQ higher than 40...

They said it was fine when it happened all the way through the 2009 Confederations Cup and have already ruled out doing anything about it during the World Cup (a long time ago), so don't hold your breath.

I don't like them but look they could prove to be a blessing in disguise if they drown out my ultimate England pet hate - the w4nkers with the musical instruments. Give me buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz over ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ENGLAND and day.

I like the way the Korean band are doing their best to drown out those bloody things.

There was a Korean band? All I could hear was the f@cking vuvuzelas ALL GAME. The sound never changes even if there's a goal. It is ruining the World Cup. As for South African football culture they can shove it up their @rses. This is a global event and they have no right to ruin in just to make a few bucks from selling the bloody things. Third world countries. Tch.

Maybe they could be banned after DellDays complaints

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8737455.stm

i hope they do ban the bloody things! totaly ruins any atmosphere that may be created.imagine if you were there, having forked out loads to watch the matches & you were surrounded by a load of mongs blowing them the whole game! :mad:

I can remember a lot about last night's game this morning. The noise from the vuvuzelas isn't one of them.

The horn-blowing competitions between the cars in the long traffic jams at the highway toll booths on the way to Rustenburg were quite good fun. Loads of England fans joining in. Get down to Sainsburys and get yourself one. You won't regret it.

The horn-blowing competitions between the cars in the long traffic jams at the highway toll booths on the way to Rustenburg were quite good fun. Loads of England fans joining in. Get down to Sainsburys and get yourself one. You won't regret it.

Oh dear God, no.

My biggest dread is that everyone with a two-year old's brain will be blowing them at Football League grounds next season.

Has any TV company found a way of filtering them out? I'm worried they'll ruin the world cup.

Swedish TV channels seem to have found a way, I hear them but its not disturbing or anything. There was also an article in a Dutch newspaper about this and they said it was a problem on Dutch, German and English tv but that it wasn't if you watched the matches on Belgian TV.

Swedish TV channels seem to have found a way, I hear them but its not disturbing or anything. There was also an article in a Dutch newspaper about this and they said it was a problem on Dutch, German and English tv but that it wasn't if you watched the matches on Belgian TV.

Perhaps their viewers are used to hearing a mindless droning dirge all the time?

I tell you what. Why don't the broadcasters digitally cut out the bloody racket from these oversized kazoos so we can actually hear anything else? It must be possible with modern technology. Then those who do like them can simply set up 3 or 4 alarm clocks to go off continuously in their living room next to the telly, to get the "authentic south african atmosphere".

I normally watch all the world cup games I can without missing work. This time, after the first couple of games, I've stopped watching because of the bloody buzzing noise and consequent complete lack of atmosphere. You can't even tell which side the crowd is supporting!

Expect I'll still turn on for the England games, but if ITV keep showing slow motion relays of Capello gesticulating while missing actual football, even that is in doubt.

K.

I tell you what. Why don't the broadcasters digitally cut out the bloody racket from these oversized kazoos so we can actually hear anything else? It must be possible with modern technology. Then those who do like them can simply set up 3 or 4 alarm clocks to go off continuously in their living room next to the telly, to get the "authentic south african atmosphere".

I normally watch all the world cup games I can without missing work. This time, after the first couple of games, I've stopped watching because of the bloody buzzing noise and consequent complete lack of atmosphere. You can't even tell which side the crowd is supporting!

Expect I'll still turn on for the England games, but if ITV keep showing slow motion relays of Capello gesticulating while missing actual football, even that is in doubt.

K.

Why can't they use those mics that cover their mouths - like the ones they used to use for Snooker? That would cut out the noise, surely?

I don't like the noise either but, let's be fair, it's their country and their tradition. It would be a bit 'colonialist' to ask them to forego their traditions, don't you think?

Why can't they use those mics that cover their mouths - like the ones they used to use for Snooker? That would cut out the noise, surely?

I don't like the noise either but, let's be fair, it's their country and their tradition. It would be a bit 'colonialist' to ask them to forego their traditions, don't you think?

As far as I can gather it's a "tradition" that only developed in the late 1990's and really took off even more recently, so it's hardly a long-standing culutural issue and hardly colonialist to complain about it when they want to stage a world event. These are plastic 'trumpets', not some ancient traditional local instrument.

If you want to put on an international event you have to decide what compromises you are or are not prepared to make to attract international money. If they want to make it really unattractive for just about every other country in the world to watch their event, then fair enough, that's up to them! Their sponsors and advertisers may have a view though.

K.

The funny thing is watching the South Africa v Mexico game you realise just how clueless those idiots blowing those plastic trumpets really are.

They managed to totally nullify any home advantage South Africa may have had. Imagine if they just blew em when the other team kept the ball for a while, or if their team had a corner or shock, horror - a goal. It would probably be quite intimidating then.

But nope - just blow the fn things for the whole 90 mins. ie there was a close handball by a Mexican player. Normally you'd hear the home crowd bellow out HANDBALL!!! putting some pressure on the ref. None of that from South Africa though... Their loss.

Those slow-mo replays were driving me up the wall too. After 10minutes of the games I had seen 20 minutes of replays. It said in the Mail today that it was part of the FIFA TV feed and nothing to do with the individual broadcasters. What with these replays and that infernal racket it ruins trying to get involved in watching the match.

not really a tradition is it...

it is the World Cup..not the african cup...we are completely being devoid of any atmosphere amungst the fans who turn up around the world..the dutch chants, the south korean atmosphere etc etc etc

I fear this world cup will go down as one of the worst ever at this rate....no atmosphere and crud games

it is as much a tradition as it is for english fans to smash the snot out of each other

It's a tradition that's stretched back as far as ooh the 90's......that's not a tradition and complaining about it isn't colonialist at all. It's very very annoying. I'll go a step further as well - it seems clear to me that the people blowing those horns don't actually understand football. They just want to make a noise. I'm all for atmosphere at football but Vuvuzelas are actually drowning that out - they're pointless and should be banned.

Lots of discussion on BBC and elsewhere

Apparently there is no way to electronically tune the noise out. However they could of course choose to simply turn up the commentators' sound track in comparison to the stadium one. That would mean less background noise overall --still no way to hear any singing or cheering, so even less atmosphere.

Seems to me though that TV broadcasters could offer a turned down background noise version via the red button so viewers could choose. Doesn't seem much to ask to offer a choice of commentary when during wimbledon etc you can choose which match to watch.

K.

it is like a kid getting what he always wanted for xmas and going nuts on xmas day....I liken that to SA having the world cup..

they are clearly not mentally ready to host such a competition

it is the bloody world cup...not the african cup...pretty much being ruined by this pointless noise

FIFA can set up stalls buying them from all the punters who'd spent their hard earned cash on them ($12 a pop I understand), then ban them from the stadium...please..please...please... Can't find a pray smiley thing, so I'll use this instead :poundit: