Ryan Dickson

doggface

Seriously guys, if this guy is better than what we have, we should sign him end of.

Yes Harding improved over the season, but look its a 46 game season plus at least 10 cup, so there is plenty of opportunities for everybody.

I really like Mills, but i get the impression he is viewed more of a left mid.

We need to recruit the best players we can, so this is a good thing. The days of keeping mediocrity are over, we can't afford to have favourites.

There are plenty of decent players in L1 and below who are more than capable given a chance, to play at a higher level.

this.

Look at Peterborough United.

They signed Craig Mackail Smith, George Boyd, Arron Maclean and others from non-league and they are plenty good enough at this, and possibly higher, level

I thought we were supposed to be building a team of "top half championship" standard rather than picking off players from teams that finished below us in the third tier of English football....?

Obviously Pardew feels he has the potential to be of that standard.

Ok, fair points....with which I agree. I'm just playing the ever so slightly devil's advocate card.

I can't even remember the exact quote from Pardew but he did talk about building a side capable of playing in the top half of the championship THIS season, didn't he?

As, yes, this could of course comprise mainly of players who show potential of being able to play at that level rather than just filling the team full of players who have already proven themselves at that level.

cheers

Good player, from reading alot of the reviews from Brentford fans it sounds like he's L1's version of Gareth Bale.

he'll probably end up playing in front of harding, it would give us fantastic ballance.

it's good to have competition..

I thought we were supposed to be building a team of "top half championship" standard rather than picking off players from teams that finished below us in the third tier of English football....?

Just because we may be buying from other L1 teams doesn't mean that the players we are buying aren't nPC standard.

If Harding is the best left back in League 1 we are unlikely to sign a better left back from the CCC just so they can sit on the bench.

If Dickson is the second best left back in League 1 it gives us real strength in depth - and real competition for places.

We need 22 first team players - two for each position - if we are going to 'walk this league' in the coming season - and then a couple of good utilities players who can do a job in a number of positions.

Also at 23 Dickson is at a good age and can get a lot better. Harding at 28 is probably near his peak from a fitness and experience point of view.

I think its a good signing. Lets hope Inigo Calderon follows shortly along with a couple of others to add some real depth to the squad.

It all links in with the new kit speculation . New player has pictures / models new kit at same time??

I think would be a good signing in my opinion going by comments made by Brentford fans and it would provide useful cover for the left side.

Ok, fair points....with which I agree. I'm just playing the ever so slightly devil's advocate card.

I can't even remember the exact quote from Pardew but he did talk about building a side capable of playing in the top half of the championship THIS season, didn't he?

As, yes, this could of course comprise mainly of players who show potential of being able to play at that level rather than just filling the team full of players who have already proven themselves at that level.

cheers

Have you ever seen him play??? How many times...must be a good judge if you have decided he couldn't play at a higher level.

Kevin Phillips was plucked from non-league and managed 8 caps (one less than MLT) glad no-one decided he couldnt play at a higher level.

Have you ever seen him play??? How many times...must be a good judge if you have decided he couldn't play at a higher level.

Kevin Phillips was plucked from non-league and managed 8 caps (one less than MLT) glad no-one decided he couldnt play at a higher level.

Ok, ok, ok.....I AGREE....!!!! I was just tossing in an alternative viewpoint in the interest of generating discussion.

I'll crawl back under my stone

Its Ok Trousers...I am just a bit touchy after all the sh1te this week and too many willing to keep slating the club and picking holes all the time been reading SRS posts on the UI...god he has issues ;-).

Ok I am not a happy clapper ..more of a miserable b8st8rd really but apologies if I jumped too far.

For a team like us, decent full backs are critical. We will find teams coming to SMS next season and sitting back content to turn the midfield into a logjam. Having fullbacks that can take the game to the opposition and give us that extra man will make teams think twice about playing so negative.

I only hope Pardew is planning to play him at LM. We don't need 3 LBs and neither Harding nor Dickinson is going to be satisfied with playing in the reserves all season. IF this is true of course.

I think you will find that for a 23 yr old, the prospect of being at Saints in a promotion to CCC year will be enough of an incentive, especially if he gets a better salary deal. Being understudy to Harding will not be a problem to a professional IMO. Add to this the fact that IF Calderon signs, but gets injured at some stage, then Harding can move to RB and Dickson can go LB. Mills is understudy. Options looking very good across the back four.

Looking at it another way, if he's to play LM what's going to happen to Lallana and Puncheon - will they both be dropped? I don't think so, although this might be an indicator that AP wants Lallana on the right and Antonio is not coming back to us.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

Yes the days of keeping mediocrity are over, but Harding is the best LB in the league.

What were our results against Brentford?

Two 1-1 draws says Dickson is no better than Harding.

Brentford 52 goals conceded.

Saints 47 goals conceded.

Yes our defence was/is weak and needs strengthening, but who is the better footballer at LB and the more appropriate choice for our attacking style of play? For me the jury is out.

I'd be interested to to know more about the strengths and weaknesses of both players' games. Can anyone oblige?

Sorry how can you compare the two team's defences as if they have significance on the players abilities.

Here is how it breaks down, Harding is a solid defensive full back who offers little going forward. When Saints play at home, they struggle to break teams down as Harding and the other full back can't push forward.

This lad Dickson is a very attacking full back, who carved us open a few times and caught the eye. The consensus is that he is going to help the team become a more attacking threat by overlapping the midfielders and getting forward.

Not rocket science and definitely needed. As mentioned before, anyone who can add to the quality of the team is welcome in my eyes.

As for those who are saying playing Harding at right back, terible idea. Okay as a stop gap, but we need balance not square pegs in round holes.

We probably need 2 right backs brought in, 2 centre midfielders and at least one large striker to deputise for Ricky

Yes our defence was/is weak and needs strengthening, but who is the better footballer at LB and the more appropriate choice for our attacking style of play? For me the jury is out.

What bizarre logic! :D

You can't use the results of a team to determine the ability of an individual like that.

Its Ok Trousers...I am just a bit touchy after all the sh1te this week and too many willing to keep slating the club and picking holes all the time been reading SRS posts on the UI...god he has issues ;-).

Ok I am not a happy clapper ..more of a miserable b8st8rd really but apologies if I jumped too far.

No, I should be the one apologising for stoking things up :-)

We all love each other really.

icon_syda.gif

I'd be interested to to know more about the strengths and weaknesses of both players' games. Can anyone oblige?

This reminds me...we should have an annual award for 'worst post of the year'.

I love the rose tinted view of some Saints fans

I wholeheartedly concur that Harding is probably the division's best left back. If it wasn't for Lambert, the division's top striker, Harding would have been voted our best player. He's the most consistently good player in our squad, IMO; Mr reliable.

Also at 23 Dickson is at a good age and can get a lot better. Harding at 28 is probably near his peak from a fitness and experience point of view.

I think its a good signing. Lets hope Inigo Calderon follows shortly along with a couple of others to add some real depth to the squad.

Very good point,perhaps Dickson is seen as a longer term investment for the CCC ...(and beyond as he has age on his side).