England v Germany

Um Bongo

I fancy us to win this one too, without being over confident though. Germany have some good up & coming young players and I reckon at the next World Cup they'll be a real force. This is a good time to face them IMO. Missing Ballack, Rolfes and possibly Schweinstegier too. We have more experience than them and I think that will carry us over the line.

We haven't lost a game yet, they have and despite our performances not being very good our defence has looked very solid, we would still have a clean sheet in the conceded column had it not been for Rob Green's f*ck up.

Same side as on Wednesday please Fab.

2-1 England imo.

There is no hype about the German side - they are avarage age 24, Ballack, Rolfes the experienced mid field both out of cup and Schweinsteiger also doubtful. They are a developing side with 5 players who won the U21s last year - Against Australia, they played with that youthful freedom and it showed... against Serbioa, a more up and at you side they struggled, although they could have won that and probably would had Klose stayed on teh pitch, but when he went they looked teh lack of experience showed. Against Ghana who are a lot better than we like to think, the at least went for it despite the space and attacking for teh Ghanians - could have gone either way but the touch of the promising class of Ozil won the day.

England should win the mid field battle - far greater experience, defensively the Germans lack pace and could be exposed if Rooney and Defoe hit form. I expect us to win, possibly 2-0 or so, but they do have danger going forward of which we nee dto be careful.

HOwever we ont need to worry because according to the SUN yesterday we have already won this game....

Ahh get over yourself. It is almost the perfect football song;

No repsect for political correctness

Revelling in former glory

Taking the **** out of the opposition

And doesnt fade out after two lines

oh and hand actions to boot.

It's embarrassing end of! The German players and 99.999999% (probably 100%) of their fans in the ground on Sunday will have had personally nothing to do with the Nazi regime. I can understand why my Grandad doesn't like Germans, but they have done NOTHING to me or my generation. I also find it highly ironic that the minority of morons who sing that song when England play away harbour the same beliefs as those they are 'shooting down'.

****ing pathetic, people need to grow up. We should be able to come up with songs about this country that do not refer back to WW2 or the Falklands for that matter.

As for the game, I can see us doing Germany by the odd goal, I certainly don't think it will go to pens. Even if it does, I don't think we should be underestimated, I just have one of those feelings. England 2-1 Germany (Germany to take the lead).

It's embarrassing end of! The German players and 99.999999% (probably 100%) of their fans in the ground on Sunday will have had personally nothing to do with the Nazi regime. I can understand why my Grandad doesn't like Germans, but they have done NOTHING to me or my generation. I also find it highly ironic that the minority of morons who sing that song when England play away harbour the same beliefs as those they are 'shooting down'.

****ing pathetic, people need to grow up. We should be able to come up with songs about this country that do not refer back to WW2 or the Falklands for that matter.

As for the game, I can see us doing Germany by the odd goal, I certainly don't think it will go to pens. Even if it does, I don't think we should be underestimated, I just have one of those feelings. England 2-1 Germany (Germany to take the lead).

It's a song, has nothing to do with not liking the Germans - it's just a song and as i said has all the qualties a good football song should have.

If you are so PC, you might want to take ear plugs to games in the future, or if it really upsets you, find another sport.

The vast majority of fans enjoy a sing song and most songs will at some point take the **** out of their rivals. As I said the Germans didn't mind it - they enjoyed it, surely you wouldnt want to ruin their fun ;)

It's a song, has nothing to do with not liking the Germans - it's just a song and as i said has all the qualties a good football song should have.

If you are so PC, you might want to take ear plugs to games in the future, or if it really upsets you, find another sport.

The vast majority of fans enjoy a sing song and most songs will at some point take the **** out of their rivals. As I said the Germans didn't mind it - they enjoyed it, surely you wouldnt want to ruin their fun ;)

Thing is its not about being PC or otherwise (although 'PC gone mad' is the last war cry of the Daily Mail reader IMHO), its about what we want its says about football fans in this country - and what we WANT it to say about us... we are reknowned for our humour, the terrace songs at club level are full of it, yet we also at club level tend to be self regulating in what is and what is not acceptable - eg remember the outcry with the Villans over Longbridge... and that was jobs, not world wars etc... yes, our humour tends to be full ranging which I like, very black and it is funny when we do it amongst ourselves, but when this war nonsense is brought into everything, especially in public, it makes us look stupid - sorry it does, because when we sing '2 world wars and one world cup' the reply is simple 'and feck all since' or as the Germans mights say, 3 world cups (7 finals), 3 European championships (loads of finals) and you seem to be forgetting that millions died so we COULD enjoy this kind of competition...

How many more years will we still be going on about it? Can you really not see how moronic it makes us look ?

Thing is its not about being PC or otherwise (although 'PC gone mad' is the last war cry of the Daily Mail reader IMHO), its about what we want its says about football fans in this country - and what we WANT it to say about us... we are reknowned for our humour, the terrace songs at club level are full of it, yet we also at club level tend to be self regulating in what is and what is not acceptable - eg remember the outcry with the Villans over Longbridge... and that was jobs, not world wars etc... yes, our humour tends to be full ranging which I like, very black and it is funny when we do it amongst ourselves, but when this war nonsense is brought into everything, especially in public, it makes us look stupid - sorry it does, because when we sing '2 world wars and one world cup' the reply is simple 'and feck all since' or as the Germans mights say, 3 world cups (7 finals), 3 European championships (loads of finals) and you seem to be forgetting that millions died so we COULD enjoy this kind of competition...

How many more years will we still be going on about it? Can you really not see how moronic it makes us look ?

You are completely missing the point. This is football, this is banter and if there reply is what you have put.....quality

Don't try and dress it up as something its not. Football has been sanitised enough.

You are completely missing the point. This is football, this is banter and if there reply is what you have put.....quality

Don't try and dress it up as something its not. Football has been sanitised enough.

Sorry, I know what you are saying and I do find it funny, as you say , a reply like that made me laugh, when a Germancollegue of mine mentioned it - and yes he has a sense of humour - the issue he does have though is not the war per sae, but when it crosses over into the unique history that involves the Nazi issues - because of that shameful history - as mentioned 99% of German fans were not even born then which is why they are rightly sensitive being atrred with that brush from their past, yet given our own history in of all places Africa/slavery etc, how would we feel if the Africans reminded us of that at football matches, would this still be acceptable banter and what would the consequences be in our response?

So I agree we dont want to 'sanitise' the game, the banter and rivaly is part of that culture, I hjust think we need to be better at self policing how far we gfo, and at the moment I still think we overstep the mark, driven by a garbage media.

I was at the game in Munich when we beat them 5-1 ...having paid hideous amounts for a 12 DM ticket in the Sud Kurve German end - we had ****ed up english fans giving Nazi salutes to the German police as they queued to get in - needless to say they missed the match as they were arrested, but to be tarnished with that brush as an England fan is not something I welcome... far from it.... sure maybe I am being over sensitive, but it did takle abit of the shine of the night in Munich.

England v Germany.....one of the grand games in world football...one of those fixtures that attract the imagination of most football fans everywhere...a grand old rivalry

cant, *******, wait.

win that....on to another cracker of a rivalry...England v Argentina...you dont get muc bigger than these two potential games..

Once Again Into The Breach Cry England For Harry & St George

So .... the French surrender early, the USA arrive late and England are left to take on the Germans .. sound familiar ?

My thanks to the email I received this afternoon for that one

...and to nearly every Facebook profile message I've seen for the last few days! ;-)

If England's overpaid prima donnas cannot motivate themselves for this one then they don't deserve to be there.

Despite all the plaudits after their thrashing of Australia, the krauts do not look invincible, as Serbia's result against them proved. However the Germans always appear able to control a game and raise it a gear, just wonder if we can ?

TBF the referee was Serbia's best player

Germany don't have a rivalry with us, they only have a rivalry with the Dutch.

and we dont have any more rivalry with them...this fixture is just loaded with history that makes it special..

I bet FAR more football fans world wide would tune in to England v Germany than Germany v Holland

this is one of those golden fixtures....like Brazil V Argentina.....England v Argentina...

So let me get this straight - you think we played better with Joe Cole on than Rooney on?

Whilst Rooney had a reasonable game against Slovenia, it is still nowhere near his best. Prior to that his first two games were awful and he should have been dropped.

Interesting listening to the Spanish press guy who was saying that Xavi, made two runs in his opening game and was knackered, due to the high altitude. Maybe Rooney is suffering from the same thing or maybe he can't cope with not being centre of attention amongst so may other World superstars out there.

with regards to rooney..for some reason in Englad..we seem to HAVE to play our so called better players no matter what..?

look at spain..torres and more so fabregas are not starters....they are left our for the shape of the team....

would that happen if they were english..?..no way, we would have to fit them in no matter what

Lol, the money grabbing World Cup goes on... (No offence to Rob though he is out of work since his Showtime contract ended, BUT)

Today's offer.

England v Germany at Meydan (Posh horse race course)

Hosted by Rob McAffrey (our own TV legend now) and Derek White with their special guests Peter Reid, Sam Allardyce & Craig Brown.

Perfect evening of entertainment for only AED 375 (that's about 55 quid in real money)

FIFTY FIVE QUID to watch the footie and listen to the same pundits we've had all the last two weeks for our TV subs...

Lol

Now of course it will be a great night, just spoiled by the football.....

http://www.robandderek.com/

Hmm but is it possible to drink 11 free pints between 5:30 local and 9:30 local to make it worth the effort.....

Edited by dubai_phil

I start work at 15.05 FFS!!!!

+1 I'll be starting down in the excruciating heat in the bowels of the Tube at 3pm, missing all the funshine sunshine fun and with no way of keeping up with the scores, except for sneaky glances at the Beeb website on my phone. It is for this reason that I hope England progress, as I can watch the last three games as England win the World Cup.

with regards to rooney..for some reason in Englad..we seem to HAVE to play our so called better players no matter what..?

look at spain..torres and more so fabregas are not starters....they are left our for the shape of the team....

would that happen if they were english..?..no way, we would have to fit them in no matter what

That's because Torres and Fabregas are not Spain's best players.

lampard is not one of ours..could you ever imagine an england manager dropping him at any time..?

Lampard is one of the best 2 central midfielders in England (along with Gerrard), Fabregas is not arguably as good as Iniesta or Xavi. I would say Joe Cole performs better for England than Lampard does, but it doesn't mean you're going to drop Frank and put Cole in central midfield.

Don't be such a knobber, course they do.

yes they do, but there is an article in on one of yesterdays paper web sites (or maybe it was the BBC site) that indicated the football rivalry between England and Germany is tongue-in-cheek and based on respect (at least from the German side) whereas the Dutch-German football rivalry is pased on pure loathing from both sides.

Lampard is one of the best 2 central midfielders in England (along with Gerrard), Fabregas is not arguably as good as Iniesta or Xavi. I would say Joe Cole performs better for England than Lampard does, but it doesn't mean you're going to drop Frank and put Cole in central midfield.

I would say, england could well tick better if gerrard and barry were in the middle with cole left

anyway...COME ON YOU REDS

yes they do, but there is an article in on one of yesterdays paper web sites (or maybe it was the BBC site) that indicated the football rivalry between England and Germany is tongue-in-cheek and based on respect (at least from the German side) whereas the Dutch-German football rivalry is pased on pure loathing from both sides.

I would not say that there is much hatred from us towards the germans...its just "the germans"...just a great tradition and history between the two footballing nations..

I'm sure the main hatred comes from us Englanders because the Germans simply keep beating us and I fully expect them to do it again today, unfortunately.

They always seem to win the mind game war on and off the pitch. Technically they are maybe a little better than us but they are miles better at handling the occassion.

The press, media etc just go way over the top in hyping the whole world cup thing and our players cannot handle the pressure from our expectant millions, proven by the way they have played so far. Saints would stand a chance of beating England at the moment so I dont hold out much hope of England beating the Germans.

Hope I have to come back on here later today to eat my words but seriously dont think I will have to.

I'm sure the main hatred comes from us Englanders because the Germans simply keep beating us and I fully expect them to do it again today, unfortunately.

They always seem to win the mind game war on and off the pitch. Technically they are maybe a little better than us but they are miles better at handling the occassion.

The press, media etc just go way over the top in hyping the whole world cup thing and our players cannot handle the pressure from our expectant millions, proven by the way they have played so far. Saints would stand a chance of beating England.

You were speaking so much sense up til the last sentence! As much as we all love Saints and have red & white tinted glasses on all of the time, if we were put up against the likes of Terry, Lampard, Gerrard & Rooney we would simply not have a chance I'm afraid!

Back to today's game, I'm hating all this waiting around, just want it to be 3pm now!!

Hope I have to come back on here later today to eat my words but seriously dont think I will have to.

Agree with the bit in bold, the German players are far more disciplined in their approach and better prepared mentally than our prima donnas.

On the evidence served up so far the Germans should win,but its now a cup tie and the Germans are not invincible as Serbia proved so heres hoping...

I really don't understand all the saints would beat england crap people keep spouting, it really is just such sh*te.

I fully expect us to up our performance today, playing sh*t in the group stages was always a given, we always scrape through against lower opposition. But if they can't get motivated against Ze Germanz then well, whats the point ?

Do us proud england

How many tournaments is it now that Lumplard has failed to perform for England ? I think this might be his third after 2006 and Euro 2004.It seems a bit to familiar now seeing him playing as a shadow of how he does for Chelsea.

You were speaking so much sense up til the last sentence! As much as we all love Saints and have red & white tinted glasses on all of the time, if we were put up against the likes of Terry, Lampard, Gerrard & Rooney we would simply not have a chance I'm afraid!

Back to today's game, I'm hating all this waiting around, just want it to be 3pm now!!

Normally yes, only a fool would disagree, but I am refering to how they are playing at the moment.

When we played Slovenia the commentator likened it to a Premiership side playing a 3rd division side. We were holding on at the end, and although we did play better than before we were still pretty carp to be honest.

Apart from one flurry which Terry & Upson blocked they did nothing second half?

So why did we not win by more?

There was huge sigh of relief from everyone when that whistle went, even Capello looked like he was heading for a nervous breakdown.

We should be rolling sides like that over.

just because we didnt score more doesnt mean we were under the cosh :lol:

Think we were relived just to have qualified...not because we were getting battered by Slovenia....

I did'nt say we were under the cosh, I said that we were holding on at the end.

I can only base my viewpoint of England on what I have seen so far, and so far they have been miserable all be it a better display against Slovenia, but really we should have buried them but ended up having to run the ball into the corners near the end to waste time, hardly the sign of future conquerors of the world.