Deppo

SuperMikey

Thats the point though, threads started by people who felt the subject worthy of serious discussion often had them derailed by posters like Deppo who turned them into a "look how funny I am" comedy thread which then fizzled out without the subject being discussed. There were a few interesting ones as I recall it, but as I said, I'm not quite sad enough to go trawling through the archives. I cant be the only person to have noticed it as that was one of the main reasons baj gave for deppos infractions.

I've always taken a Deppo hijack of one of my threads as a badge of honour :-)

Maybe that's because I don't take "the Internet" as seriously as some.

If I ever wanted to be taken "seriously" the last place I'd look for an outlet is a football forum on the world wide web.

Baj is coming in for a lot of unfair stick here I think. Yes, maybe a permanent banning was a bit harsh, but the people that run this forum do it pretty much thanklessly. Deppo will be back one way or another, but rules is rules.

Agree people shouldn’t be having a go at Baj, I posted the below post on a separate thread relating to Deppo.

Baj is a good lad and anyone who looks after these forums is always put in a difficult position in these sorts of situations. I'm pretty disappointed that Deppo has been banned and I do hope we can get him back again somehow (and as him, not him having to join under a new name).

I totally understand that he's been given plenty of infractions/chances which should have made him take a look at himself and tone things down, but for me the bigger issue here is the level that seems to have been set for handing out infractions and the fact it seems different for different posters. I myself have made a couple of posts where I expected to get infracted but never did.

The whole 'pointless' posting thing is a pathetic reason to hand out infractions, most of the posts on this forum could be classed as pointless by some people, it depends what an individual values as to what they class as pointless.

There are a couple of existing forum members who (in my opinion) post almost all pointless stuff, but I just think that because I am not interested in their 'look at me' style of posting. I still read some of their posts as at times they do add value. For me Deppo provides a great deal of value to the forum, however I can see why some people tire of him. But just as I could add specific posters to my ignore list, others could do the same to Deppo. I’m sure some of his infractions are more serious, but certainly for some that have been pointed out, I really don’t see the harm.

If I ever wanted to be taken "seriously" the last place I'd look for an outlet is a football forum on the world wide web.

tbh, the forum is pretty specific about it. Lounge = "General discussion area for all non saints related topics to be discussed sensibly. Infractions will be issued to those abusing this forum", muppet show = "free-for-all plsstaking". (Well, thats what it ought to say.)

Some people like discussing serious topics on occasion. The religion threads for instance and topical news stories. You may not care but there are many who do, otherwise the lounge would not exist.

Some people like discussing serious topics on occasion. The religion threads for instance and topical news stories. You may not care but there are many who do, otherwise the lounge would not exist.

I wonder how many "care" versus "don't mind"? Genuine curiosity.

I wonder how many "care" versus "don't mind"? Genuine curiosity.

Well scotty above has pointed out that it happened on his thread and no doubt there are others. It's pretty irrelevant, those are the rules and so it's no surprise he was infracted and banned when he continually broke them.

As long as posters realise that in general, threads in the lounge are of a serious nature and respect that then I'm sure there will be no problem going forward.

You really are a pompous, arrogant, humourless t*sser.

I really hope your not like this in real life, you must be the life and soul :facepalm:

Ive stayed off this thread so far because its unusual to find myself in agreement with hypo, dune and baj all at the same time, and in disagreement with apparently everyone else. Deppo was a very funny poster and I'll miss his wittier stuff, but imho his humour was pretty well balanced out by his annoyance factor. Baj is right, he did derail a lot of serious threads, I'm not going to trawl through pages of old posts just to find links but anyone who's been on here for a while would know thats true. I dont start many threads myself, but I remember posting something I thought might be interesting in the lounge and Deppo cropped up as usual with a plsstaking comment and the thread wound up as a wisecracking contest. I noticed him doing much the same thing on loads of other threads. The only reservation I would hold about him being booted off would be if he was only told about the infractions when they had mounted up to banning time, but from what Baj posted I'm assuming he was told about the infractions as and when they happened, rather than when they reached the required 10. Other than that I dont see Deppo could have any complaints myself.

Or people could just man up and ignore him.

After all, its not like he stuck his head through your window whilst your telling the kids father xmas isn't real is it ??

Its the f*cking internet about threads such as 'wonders of the solar system', TBF if someone brought that topic up in the pub you sort of expect a few sarccy comments, if you didn't your a ****

if Deppo has been banned for good , it is a disgrace.

Are so mnay on here so humourless not to understand his humour.

I agree that Granty and Baj have a hard task but they need to understand this site needs lightening up sometimes due to some of the boring subjects and dare I say posters.

I have met both Granty and Baj and both our good lads, I ask that they reconsider and let Deppo back.

It's days like this I'm glad I'm no longer an admin! FWIW I think the permanent ban is more than a little harsh. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find 20 pointless posts from a hell of a lot of people on here.

Exactly! As I said in a previous post, what one person finds pointless, another person finds value in! I could point out thousands of posts by some users that I personally find pointless. I myself have made 1600 posts so far that are pretty pointless in all honesty.

I gather he can via any of his other poster profiles. Not sure if he really does have several profiles, but that's the word on the street. I though that Steve had the technology to see if people were posting from the same ip addresses, but I dunno, maybe he can't?

If he can, he should be pm'ing everyone who is backing him and thanking us all individually, the ungrateful little sh!t.

It's days like this I'm glad I'm no longer an admin! FWIW I think the permanent ban is more than a little harsh. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find 20 pointless posts from a hell of a lot of people on here.

This is the point. there are plenty of posters who rack up enough "pointless" posts to qualify for a ban, but boj specifically went after deppo, apparently spending one day carefully going through his recent post history and giving him retrospective infractions. Several on one morning mainly for posts that hadn't been made that day. Boj is being a bit dishonest inferring that it just built up.

I bet you could do the same with many many posters, just trawl through their post history, infracting everything you find until you've got enough for a ban.

I gather he can via any of his other poster profiles. Not sure if he really does have several profiles, but that's the word on the street. I though that Steve had the technology to see if people were posting from the same ip addresses, but I dunno, maybe he can't?

If he can, he should be pm'ing everyone who is backing him and thanking us all individually, the ungrateful little sh!t.

Yes you can see all the IP addresses, I have my own forum where quite a few people have serveral logins, some sadly enough have a little chat with well just them. Most of the posts are pointless but I have not had to ban anyone and do not want to either.

Or people could just man up and ignore him.

After all, its not like he stuck his head through your window whilst your telling the kids father xmas isn't real is it ??

Its the f*cking internet about threads such as 'wonders of the solar system', TBF if someone brought that topic up in the pub you sort of expect a few sarccy comments, if you didn't your a ****

Exactly, its one forum among millions, wtf does it matter? I'm not bothered whether he's allowed on here or not, I just said I can understand why he was banned. Its entirely up to the site hosts how they run it.

Exactly, its one forum among millions, wtf does it matter? I'm not bothered whether he's allowed on here or not, I just said I can understand why he was banned. Its entirely up to the site hosts how they run it.

I don't post on one of the million other forums, I post on this one, one that I have seen slowly strangled over the past couple of seasons by intolerance and namby pamby posters who would rather report and **** and moan rather then join in the banter or just place people on ignore.

I do struggle to see how these people cope in real life, after all there are no report buttons on the pub or in clubs etc.

It matters as slowly the life is being sucked out of this forum, and ok, if you would rather post on a lifeless and soulless forum then so be it, but just as long as someone doesn't post some sarcasm on a thread about the life of snails eh ?

I don't agree that anyone should be banned, and in all honesty Dune is one of the posters that is really close to the knuckle on this forum, he hasn't been banned, nor should he be.

Yes you can see all the IP addresses, I have my own forum where quite a few people have serveral logins, some sadly enough have a little chat with well just them. Most of the posts are pointless but I have not had to ban anyone and do not want to either.

This is interesting. Back in the day when mobog was going, (picture site, back now in a castrated/moderated form,) I remember several posters always showed up at exactly the same time of day and knocked seven shades of shlt out of each other. Pmailed the guy who ran the site wondering if they worked for the same company or something, he mailed me back and said no, its all the same guy, and listed all his login names. I asked could it be different people like flatmates or something using the same internet connection, he said no, he talked with the guy and he is definitely all of them. Some of the stuff he posted was really vitriolic, I still wonder even now whether he had some kind of personality disorder.

This is interesting. Back in the day when mobog was going, (picture site, back now in a castrated/moderated form,) I remember several posters always showed up at exactly the same time of day and knocked seven shades of shlt out of each other. Pmailed the guy who ran the site wondering if they worked for the same company or something, he mailed me back and said no, its all the same guy, and listed all his login names. I asked could it be different people like flatmates or something using the same internet connection, he said no, he talked with the guy and he is definitely all of them. Some of the stuff he posted was really vitriolic, I still wonder even now whether he had some kind of personality disorder.

shut up you arse!

Neither of the posters gloating on here about Deppo's banning would be missed but I wouldn't want them banned. The impulse to ban indicates deeper character flaws in my opinion.

I agree.

Predominantly, in the case of Deppo, I think main flaw evident in the banners is jealousy and fear of an intellect clearly far superior.

Baj is coming in for a lot of unfair stick here I think. Yes, maybe a permanent banning was a bit harsh, but the people that run this forum do it pretty much thanklessly. Deppo will be back one way or another, but rules is rules.

Well, they do it in exchange for £5 of my money actually and if they decide the best way to run it is to ban the people who make it worth reading they won't be getting that £5 in the future.

Good post :).

Are you going to give it marks out of 10? Maybe try and show us the light. Are you pointing out good posts so we dont all end up being banned like my old hero? Are you going to be our new hero? The SWF Messiah maybe. You could even get a t-shirt. And a cape. Maybe...

Is this a bad post? Sh*t. How many marks out of 10???!!!???

Are you going to give it marks out of 10? Maybe try and show us the light. Are you pointing out good posts so we dont all end up being banned like my old hero? Are you going to be our new hero? The SWF Messiah maybe. You could even get a t-shirt. And a cape. Maybe...

Is this a bad post? Sh*t. How many marks out of 10???!!!???

No. It was a good post.