Adkins

MAY-Z

Nothing to discuss re: the manager until summer. If we don't make the playoffs, maybe he'll go. But until then Adkins has at very least earned himself the right to try and turn the poor form around. Poor form that had to come at some stage after all. Most were happy with his signings, and I don't think Lambert and Sharp have even started a game together yet! Come on people, let's not embarrass ourselves. I know we've never been the best fans in the world, but we're not normally the worse either. Everything to play for, a great squad and loads of games left. This should be a challenge to relish.

As if changing the manager would help anyway, we never get that immediate new manager impact, it'd be more turmoil that most of us are fed up with. So please, let's judge Adkins on 46 games.

I bet the whole mood becomes a lot more positive with just one win. If it's Saturday, we'll probably go back to overconfidence. While form hasn't been good enough, we've also had some very tough fixtures. That, to me at least, suggests form returning could coincide with more winnable games. I had Jan and Feb down as very tough, and March, April down as the key months with the winnable games. Like last season, it's winning lots in these months that provides the momentum to cross the line in May.

Really hope we win saturday as more than anything this place needs a lift and some perspective. Isn't the end of the world! (n.b. for end of the world, see 'Portsmouth').

This. Too many WUMs just see things in black and white. They love the form tables, stats etc. because not many of them go to games and they have to cling onto something to gauge what is happening. What they should be looking at is the starting 11 for the first few months of the season when we were on fire compared to the last 10-15 games when results have gone against us. It isn't rocket science. When we have our BIG players fit and on form then we will go on another big run.

The positives from the last few games - Lambert back from suspension and playing well; Lallana starting to get back into some rhythm, Chaplow getting 60 minutes tonight; Puncheon back involved and arguably been man of the match in the last couple of games. And we still have Sharp and Lee to make an impact.

Our starting 11 on saturday is going to look something like our strongest for the first time in a couple of months. Bring it on

I must have misheard all those interviews where Adkins said he would be happy to be "within touching distance" at the turn of the year.

Ah, I believe you refer to the "select a quote to support argument" mentality of your average negative SWF poster?

(To be fair, your average positive poster probably does the same in reverse)

Perhaps we should wait and see whether he was wrong or not? Rather than guess how the whole season will turn out?

Call me old fashioned

Yeah, ****** to it, rather than address the slump now let's wait and see how it all pans out.

Yeah, ****** to it, rather than address the slump now let's wait and see how it all pans out.

I do apologise. I thought that "addressing the slump" was the chairman's and manager's job and that we were mere spectators venting our spleen on an interweb forum. I'll give Cortese a bell first thing in the morning to put him right. Thanks for the heads up.

People texting into Solent and saying Warnock for manager.

Please get a grip. Our fans are pathetic sometimes.

Absolute ****ing din's that should wind their necks in. I'd be amazed if these were the ones there at our lowest ebb of swindon away in league one.

Adkins should have our full backing.

With possibly everyone to select from I expect we will get a win on Saturday and get back to normal.

Let's hope you're right. a tricky game followed by a tough one next Tuesday. Fail to win one or both of them and fans won't be putting their fingers in their ears and screaming "we're still still second" to anyone that dares question anything anyone at SFC does or doesn't say we are brilliant every match.

Which would be a disappointment given the wonder chairmans vision and talk of winning the title, yes?

And there it is......so it is the chairmans fault we are in a bad run of form?

Considering how much money we have spent this year on players (Cork,De Ridder,Sharp,Jos,Fox about £8m) I do find it slightly stupid that you would try and say the chairman has done something wrong?

But that is because your just a mong so expect nothing less from you. Go back to your skate forum you ****.

And there it is......so it is the chairmans fault we are in a bad run of form?

Considering how much money we have spent this year on players (Cork,De Ridder,Sharp,Jos,Fox about £8m) I do find it slightly stupid that you would try and say the chairman has done something wrong?

But that is because your just a mong so expect nothing less from you. Go back to your skate forum you ****.

The usual kop out. Question the wonder chairman you must be a skate. And I was given infractions for calling someone a mong. Mods take note, we wouldn't want their being any double standards would we.

The usual kop out. Question the wonder chairman you must be a skate. And I was given infractions for calling someone a mong. Mods take note, we wouldn't want their being any double standards would we.

Ok I will bite. Will give you a chance.

What is it that Cortese could do to ensure we are promoted then? Seeing as now we can't buy players. How can he make the team perform better?

This should be good.

will be interesting to see the reactions here but

we have won 4 of our last 15 games which is no where near good enough. he inherited a good squad far above the level we were playing at then carried that momentum into the new season. since we that momentum has stopped we have been completely rubbish. 15 games is far to long to be considered a temporary and he needs to do something to turn this around or he would surely be in trouble soon

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOiUpTAwTbJuZTsXT7UkonK_gn8NzaCH1_FI-m86ufQWVuPaq9jARobbie-Savage.png

Ok I will bite. Will give you a chance.

What is it that Cortese could do to ensure we are promoted then? Seeing as now we can't buy players. How can he make the team perform better?

This should be good.

I keep hearing what a great job he is doing and we are the new Barcelona. Yet on the pitch it doesn't seem to be going according to plan now does it.

I keep hearing what a great job he is doing and we are the new Barcelona. Yet on the pitch it doesn't seem to be going according to plan now does it.

But surely the last thing you do when you have a slump is change everything, or even contemplate changing everything? Everyone has to pull together because that's how we got where we are, some people will say it's a cliche but I think it makes such a difference if all areas of the club are pulling the same way. The moment divides start is the moment we are in trouble.

As I said, I think he's done enough for us to earn a little bit of slack IMO. We'll come good and we'll look back on this thread in April and laugh at it, the same way we all had a good laugh at the ''playoffs it is'' thread from last year - after we lost to wallsall.

You're a brilliant WUM, by far the best I've come across.

I can't believe regular posters still bite.

Never heard him that down before. To be fair, I think he is feeling how we are all feeling. We clearly have the squad and ability to get out of this league, but at the minute it's just not coming together as we'd have hoped. Wouldn't two wins now on the bounce be nice.

But how does that having anything to do with the chairman? All he can do is get the stuff right behind the scenes i.e finances, training centre, academy etc and bring in the players the manager wants. If you look at the amount of players we have right now we have a massive squad. A squad which SHOULD be getting promoted. There is nothing else he can do to help the team perform better.

I was at the game and am annoyed as everyone else but the blame for us starting to screw up is on Adkins and the players alone. The team looks the shadow of what it was and personally I think that is down to Adkins chopping and changing the side too much. When we had a smaller squad the first team got to know how each other and how they played.

All we have now is the league and Adkins needs to pick his strongest 11 every match. No more tinkering, no more trying to make people fit in by being nice. Choose our best players every single game. Players like Barnard/Jaidi/Shaw/Hoskins/Reeves/Prowse/Holmes etc should now be nowhere near the first team as they are either too inexperienced or missed too many games. They should go out on loan and try and gain playing time elsewhere to regain form/fitness/experience.

Since the start of december we have won only 3 of 13 games, of which 1 was a cup game. That is over 2 months of crap results. In the last 9 weeks we have a 20% win ratio. That has nothing at all to do with Cortese.

Yes, because the past 10 years supporting Saints proves that the only way to improve form is to sack the manager. Don't be a tool.

NC has done it once with Pardew and got the result he wanted ............so he may not find the idea that stupid

Personally think it would be mad to get rid of NA at the moment ........but I ain't the chairman

Adkins has done well in his first year, but now faces a real challenge to show us the depth of his skills as a manager.

I worry about the distinctly vapid, tedious managmentspeak he trots out week after week in public. Does he do the same with the players prematch, half-time and post match? Not exactly inspirational or Churchillian after the 58th time of listening...and perhaps is indicative of a wider lack of imagination and ideas.

I hope I am wrong.

When I heard the 'Adkins out, Warnock in' comment on Solent tonight I thought that it was just some nutter seeking a moment in the limelight !

Now that I see some posters on here giving tacit agreement, I just feel despair !

Despair not for the club but for the sad individuals who just cannot seem to comprehend that routinely sacking the manager is not the way to move forward and implement a sensibly agreed 5 year plan !

The progress made since Adkins arrived here 18 months ago has been nothing short of staggering and he fully deserves to see out his existing contract irrespective of what happens between now and the end of the season !

He sounded proper down and ****ed in his interview tonight. He focuses on positivity but I don't think some players are too far away from being dropped completely for a few games and challenged to prove themselves in training to be worthy of a place in the squad on a matchday.

Like who? after the first 30 mins most of the players played pretty well (Guly aside) some aren't even regulars or short of game time/match fitness so it'd pretty harsh to take out on any of them IMO.

Turkish, why not just come out and say what you really want to? If you think that the last 10 games have been unacceptable, what's the solution then?

I thought we'd all learnt by now that judging managers over a period of 10 or so games is just plain stupid. Is the answer really as simple as bringing someone in, waving a magic wand and suddenly we're beating everyone again? If Adkins went now, we'd be a laughing stock and the rest of the footballing world would look on and think WTF!

And it's ****ing irritating that you insist on trying to use the Barca comparison at any given opportunity to ridicule people. You'reone of a very select few who ever bring that up. And do you honestly believe that other fans hold their chairman to every little quotes of ambition in the way you seem to want us all to?

Whilst I've been growing frustrated with his cliché filled post match reactions of late, the thought of changing manager is just pure moronic. We're 2nd in the bloody league and have had some really **** luck recently. What if Davis hadn't been injured against Blackpool, what if our goal that crossed the line at Brighton but didn't get given had been, what if Lambert didn't react to El-Abd's tackle and get a 3 match ban, what if the ref against Cardiff didn't bottle it and instead gave us the 2 penalties that he should have. We're just not getting the luck lately but need to stick together through adversity and remember where we've come from in such a short space of time.

FFS, trust Adkins. I know it's a cliche, but don't get too excited when we win, and similarly don't get too low when we lose.

It's football, you can't win them all. Granted, our current run is not acceptable but Adkins and the players will be well aware of that.

We've got players returning from injury and we've got more than enough about us to turn our current form around.

Adkins has taken us from 22nd in League One to 2nd in the Championship, have some perspective!

Rant over.

Oh and I fully expect us to win on Saturday.

For anyone that genuinely thinks Adkins isnt fit for the job.... you can F.U.C.K OFF.

I wholeheartedly agree. In Nigel I trust. His management of this football club isn't just about this season and what is best for right now, but for the long term. I still think we have a hell of a good chance this season, but if we fail he will still have my backing as long as we are making strides as a football club, and that does not necessarily correlate to results immediately. That said, I have full faith in him to deliver results in the short, medium and long term.

Having driven the 2.5 hours home after the game I can't work out if tiredness means I am imagining this thread or not!? We are tow half decent performances away from coming through our worst run of form and trickiest set of fixtures of the season, and are still 2nd! I know we need to improve recent form, but the green shoots have been there in the last 135 minutes of league football. Despite all that,all these other great teams (who must have form for being crap too because they were clearly nowhere near us for 4 months) haven't overtaken us. We are one scrappy win away from getting some league momentum back - with a full squad to select from for the first time since November this coming Saturday. Come on folks, lets have some faith and belief, and get behind the team. All this booing and slagging off makes us look moronic to everyone.

I cant believe wot i'm seeing, were still 2nd FFS, i realise weve been going thru a sh1t patch but with the players weve had out its not surprising yet weve still managed to stay in the top 2.

I think everyone who thinks were doomed to fail this season should have a nice cup of Harden the F*ck Up, get behind the team and help push us on to the PL.

This weekend will be the first time in months where NA has had a full team to pick from. It cannot be a coincidence that since we lost chappers our form has dipped, just like last night, after he went off.

The futures Bright, its R&W. And when you need to get things into perspective...................Take a look at the skates......See its not that bad. :lol:

But how does that having anything to do with the chairman? All he can do is get the stuff right behind the scenes i.e finances, training centre, academy etc and bring in the players the manager wants. If you look at the amount of players we have right now we have a massive squad. A squad which SHOULD be getting promoted. There is nothing else he can do to help the team perform better.

I was at the game and am annoyed as everyone else but the blame for us starting to screw up is on Adkins and the players alone. The team looks the shadow of what it was and personally I think that is down to Adkins chopping and changing the side too much. When we had a smaller squad the first team got to know how each other and how they played.

All we have now is the league and Adkins needs to pick his strongest 11 every match. No more tinkering, no more trying to make people fit in by being nice. Choose our best players every single game. Players like Barnard/Jaidi/Shaw/Hoskins/Reeves/Prowse/Holmes etc should now be nowhere near the first team as they are either too inexperienced or missed too many games. They should go out on loan and try and gain playing time elsewhere to regain form/fitness/experience.

Since the start of december we have won only 3 of 13 games, of which 1 was a cup game. That is over 2 months of crap results. In the last 9 weeks we have a 20% win ratio. That has nothing at all to do with Cortese.

Ah the training centre. You mean the one whic we've have planning permission to build for about 18 months yet no brick has been laid yet, a master stroke from the wonder chairman.

What a bunch of hysterical tarts. Apart from the odd loon texting Solent who has said nige should get the boot? Our form over the last 15 games is relegation form, if any of you are happy with that you are mental. I keep hearing a stamping of feet and "but we're still second" yes we are for now, mainly due to the faliure or our rivals to capitalise on our dreadful form. I keep hearing how good we are, we're still second etc but HALF the seasons results say we aren't as good as some like to believe.

Ah, I believe you refer to the "select a quote to support argument" mentality of your average negative SWF poster?

(To be fair, your average positive poster probably does the same in reverse)

Adkins has been talking about "winning the division" for several weeks now. So selective quote yes, in that it is the most recent thing he's been saying. The "in and around the top ten" stuff pre-dates that by a long way. So yes, there indeed is selective quoting going on, just not by me.

Football chairman and manager in optimistic beginning of season statement shocker

Nice try.

Cortese was not being "optimistic" - he's not some non league chairman dreaming of an FA cup tie at Old Trafford.

His words were words of intent.

I know you people hate it, and are desperate to weasel back round to your default position of sneering "you silly little fans with your unrealistic expectations" but it won't work, because the chairman and the first team manager set the expectation, not me.

In August, I thought we were going to finish eighth, ninth or tenth, and I have already apologised for having unrealistic expectations.

The official "realistic expectation" is second. At least. Suck it up.

If you are being honest with yourselves,nobody expected or predicted our great start,we have been punching above our weight and riding our luck but it only takes a few key injuries and a player or two to lose form and we begin to show our true colours.

Our true position in this league will be the one we find ourselves in at the end of the season.we have a good chance of promotion,it is still in our own hands and luckily enough the teams around us are just as inconsistent as us.

Getting beat by millwall has done us a favour IMO,the league has to be our priority.

If you are being honest with yourselves,nobody expected or predicted our great start,we have been punching above our weight and riding our luck but it only takes a few key injuries and a player or two to lose form and we begin to show our true colours.

Our true position in this league will be the one we find ourselves in at the end of the season.we have a good chance of promotion,it is still in our own hands and luckily enough the teams around us are just as inconsistent as us.

Getting beat by millwall has done us a favour IMO,the league has to be our priority.

I did predict it, and said we'd go up as champs. May need to revise that downwards.

Yes I agree with what you are saying quite happy with our results this season given that the club has not made a really big effort to buy in players to gain promotion

Adkins has been talking about "winning the division" for several weeks now. So selective quote yes, in that it is the most recent thing he's been saying. The "in and around the top ten" stuff pre-dates that by a long way. So yes, there indeed is selective quoting going on, just not by me.

Nice try.

Cortese was not being "optimistic" - he's not some non league chairman dreaming of an FA cup tie at Old Trafford.

His words were words of intent.

I know you people hate it, and are desperate to weasel back round to your default position of sneering "you silly little fans with your unrealistic expectations" but it won't work, because the chairman and the first team manager set the expectation, not me.

In August, I thought we were going to finish eighth, ninth or tenth, and I have already apologised for having unrealistic expectations.

The official "realistic expectation" is second. At least. Suck it up.

All some people are highlighting is the minor point that the season hasn't quite finished yet....

Yes, the "told you so" brigade may well get their moment of triumph at the end of the season but all I and the other optimists (aka happy clappers ... *chortle*) are saying is that it might be an idea to judge Adkins and Cortese at the end of the season rather than write-off their aspirations in early February.

We're 2nd in the league with the most goals scored and joint highest goal difference. We're on a bad run of form which we will either (a) turn around and go on to attain promotion or (b) continue with and join the scramble for a play-off place. It could go either way.

Me? Old fashioned? Guilty as charged m'lud.

(That was a statement by the "It's only football let's put life into perspective" Party)

Us fans might not have but our chairman did. And now we are where we are should be just be grateful that we've done better sofar than we hoped or subscribe to the mantra "in Adkins/Cortese we trust" afterall they said we are going for promotion. Anything less will be faliure, yes?

Us fans might not have but our chairman did. And now we are where we are should be just be grateful that we've done better sofar than we hoped or subscribe to the mantra "in Adkins/Cortese we trust" afterall they said we are going for promotion. Anything less will be faliure, yes?

No.

My daughter is aiming for A+ in all her forthcoming GCSEs. Her teachers are aiming for that for all their pupils too. If she ends up getting a lower mark in some subjects that will still be a great achievement.

Always aim high in every walk of life.

I see we have all the "wrist slitter", "bedwetter", "WUM" and "doom & gloom merchant" comments on here as expected.

I'd like to know WHY, on the basis of the last 2.5months / 15-odd games, it is NOT a valid question to simply ask "Has NA come as far as he can at his age and at this stage of his career and experience ?"

He is working in rareified air now, this is the last push before the summit. He has done brilliantly for us over the last 18months, but maybe he simply doesnt have it in him to finish the job ?

He had the best transfer window of the division, most of his injured players are returning to availability. But it seems the opposition know how to play us. Whose "fault" is that, ultimately ?

I am concerned that he is not showing enough motivational and tactical dexterity, but I certainly am not calling for his head, yet.