Adkins

MAY-Z

Central midfield playmaker who makes forward runs and doesn't look to play sideways and backwards to the goalkeeper.

Completely agree. This is what we need in order to step up another level. Cork, Hammond and to an extent Schneiderlin are too safe and play sideways/backward too often. Reeves changed that when he came on and we actually looked reasonably threatening.

Nigel Adkins has done brilliantly for us - but just like the any other Human Being he's by no means infallible, and I've never believed that anyone should be above criticism.

The real problem with our current team, and the principle reason we are still stuck in a dismal three month long rut, is so bleedin obvious that it should hardly need saying really - we're shipping too many goals of course. Read NA's reaction to last nights Millwall replay in the Echo, its mostly about Ben Reeves disallowed goal and the familiar observation that we're not taking our chances. The glaring fact that we conceded 3 goals at home to what the league table suggests is a struggling team takes second place.

Some might say the manager could (perhaps should) have chosen to address that clear defensive fragility last month, rather than spending all our budget on even more forward options. Signing a quality centre half (with Premier League experience ideally) would do wonders for this team - akin to Andrew Davies signing back in 2007. It seems to me beyond debate that our defending is just not good enough, and the prospect of relying upon this collective defense in the crucible of the Premier League is the stuff of nightmares.

With this fundamental weakness at its very heart it is a debatable proposition whether this team is ready for promotion yet - even if we get there somehow. It goes right against the grain for me to say it, but maybe we need another season in this division.

Get a grip you wristslitters we have had this before - we have an automatic promotion slot first team but a mid table squad. The balance between the two will determine where we end up.

I am much more optimistic about where we will be with Sharpie and Pucheon adding to the team and Chaplow back. My worry is the form of the various full backs which needs to be sorted.

Just watched his interview on Saints player. Jeez he looks so ****ed off and angry.

Never ever seen him like that - he's always so calm and composed usually, but I guess after so long of the same old mistakes at the back he just gets ****ed off like the rest of us. It's up to the players once they step onto the pitch.

I think NA may see Saints as simply a stepping stone to greater things. He's already being touted as a Premiership manager, if not with Saints then with another club when the Saints fans turn against him, as we usually do with our managers - we've got form on that over the last few years.

Can I just pull you up on this point.

Cortese was talking about "not only being promoted...but going up as champions" way back when the weather was still warm at the end of August/early September whenever it was. Adkins has been talking about "winning the division" [his words, not mine] for a while now.

It's jolly convenient to wheel out the old "the fans have got unrealistic expectations" chestnut, but it is utter bo llocks.

The chief exec and the team manager have set their stall out to not only get promoted but win the division.

And to be clear, I don't disagree with your assessment of the squad, and of the competition potentially coming up on the rails. Just want to make the point that it is not the fans fault expectations are raised, and it is not even the fault of our good start (if that can be a fault).

The two principals in this football club are trying to win the league. That's the expectation. That's what they have to live up to.

If they were serious about promotion they should have got their fingers out in June and July and made some top class and decisive signings. We dithered and doddered al summer and in January we only got out act partially together. You cant achieve promotion on the cheap !

As I see it if Adkins keeps us up he has achieved the minimum and should keep his job as he builds for the future.

You all know I predicted 17th and yes if we achieved that I would be happy and call for patience.

16th to 10th would indicate a good season and lots of encourgement for next.

9th to 7th I think we should have a party then prepare for next season with confidence.

Play off whatever the outcome = massive celebrations.

Top 2 = off the scale.

In the meantime we must support the manager and team even if we fail to win another match this season !

That interview! Talk about a Damascus moment! Why has it taken him so long to realise that we are not the best thing since sliced braed?

Trouble is for too long he has believed his own hype that everything in the garden is rosy pink and emerald green and it effing well ain't! Now he's waking up to the reality that we have talked about on here for the last two months, that we more resmble and play like a relegation team than the high-flying champions he thinks we are.

Hence, Adkins sounded really down and so he effing should be! His own balloon has exploded in his face big time and now he's under test as never before. Does he have what it takes to recover as fergie and wenger do or will he just become another also-ran ending up in the lower leagues? Now that he's started blaming players which he's never done before, how long will it be before he loses the dressing room?

Fair do's the players must perform and deliver but the manager is responsible for the overall delivery and tactics and finding the right players and he knows he can't hide from that. saying it is one thing doing something about it is another. Right now the similarities with Poortvliet's aimless passing pansies is worrying and look what happened to them.

My guess is that Mr Cortese has just put a pile of red hot coals under his chair and his feet are beginning to feel the heat - hence his unusual reaction.

Looking at 4 wins from 15 any fan must be wondering if it is time for a new defensive coach, a new attacking coach and come to think of it a new effing manager? After all we do seem to have a quite exceptional squad of highly talented players who could and should be world-beaters so why can't the firts team coaches get it to work?

The Exit Sign and Waiting Taxi must be getting perilously close one would imagine judging by his after match defensiveness.

It would not surprise me at all that if we FAIL TO WIN ON SATURDAY, Adders could be gone on Monday of next week...

Whoops! More incoming missiles!

tell you waht 'though...

I was there last night, frozen to the Rollocks so don't doubt my loyalty to the cause - I wanna go up!

Patience, be patient. it was never to be this season ! FWIW we could finish much closer to 17th than anyone was prepared to give me credit for.

I'm right behind Adkins et al and having just watched his post match interview it seems that the pressure of the situation is there to see and rightly so, how he deals with this is crucial to the next 5 games as we have to get our sh1t sorted and stop teams playing us at our own game and winning

I'll have a watch in a sec. 1st time I saw him was on Soccer AM a few years ago taking on Callum McNish on that skill-school feature.

Fair play to the lad - Nigel sounded pretty down post-match, but think he took Reeves' performance as one of the few bonuses.

No matter what you think of Adkins, it is obvious that, like most other Managers, he has his "favorites"

Good performances do not guarentee a place in the next match

My bet is that the likes of Reeves and Puncheon will be "sacrificed" at the expense of other players that, IMHO, are Adkins preferred Favorites, and would only get dropped if one of their legs fell off.

IMHO, that has always been a major flaw in Adkins Team selection.

That interview! Talk about a Damascus moment! Why has it taken him so long to realise that we are not the best thing since sliced braed?

Trouble is for too long he has believed his own hype that everything in the garden is rosy pink and emerald green and it effing well ain't! Now he's waking up to the reality that we have talked about on here for the last two months, that we more resmble and play like a relegation team than the high-flying champions he thinks we are.

Hence, Adkins sounded really down and so he effing should be! His own balloon has exploded in his face big time and now he's under test as never before. Does he have what it takes to recover as fergie and wenger do or will he just become another also-ran ending up in the lower leagues? Now that he's started blaming players which he's never done before, how long will it be before he loses the dressing room?

Fair do's the players must perform and deliver but the manager is responsible for the overall delivery and tactics and finding the right players and he knows he can't hide from that. saying it is one thing doing something about it is another. Right now the similarities with Poortvliet's aimless passing pansies is worrying and look what happened to them.

My guess is that Mr Cortese has just put a pile of red hot coals under his chair and his feet are beginning to feel the heat - hence his unusual reaction.

Looking at 4 wins from 15 any fan must be wondering if it is time for a new defensive coach, a new attacking coach and come to think of it a new effing manager? After all we do seem to have a quite exceptional squad of highly talented players who could and should be world-beaters so why can't the firts team coaches get it to work?

The Exit Sign and Waiting Taxi must be getting perilously close one would imagine judging by his after match defensiveness.

It would not surprise me at all that if we FAIL TO WIN ON SATURDAY, Adders could be gone on Monday of next week...

Whoops! More incoming missiles!

tell you waht 'though...

I was there last night, frozen to the Rollocks so don't doubt my loyalty to the cause - I wanna go up!

troll, skate or utter efffing retard, you decide?

troll, skate or utter efffing retard, you decide?

It's what is known as being REALISTIC mate, something that you are not allowed to be on here

I suppose you think 4 WINS OUT OF 15 is Promotion form

Being a Saints fan is one thing, but there is nothing wrong in seeing things for what they are, and, what they are at the moment is way short of a Team that is capable of Promotion

Trouble is, on here, you aren't allowed to express an opinion, unless you say Saints are always fantastic

If they were serious about promotion they should have got their fingers out in June and July and made some top class and decisive signings. We dithered and doddered al summer and in January we only got out act partially together. You cant achieve promotion on the cheap !

Oly a very short time ago we were playing great along the carpet football, and winning matches quite comfortably

Now, with mainly the same squad, we go on the park playing like a Stevie Wonder select, with no apparent system, confidence, or ability to play "football"

Who sends them out like that ??? THE MANAGER

It's not the first time that Adkins has "imploded"

He normally gets so far, then keeps chopping and changing players, way of playing etc etc

Has he never heard ... IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT

Fiddle Fiddle Fiddle ..... he's worse than Bl**dy Nero

Oly a very short time ago we were playing great along the carpet football, and winning matches quite comfortably

Now, with mainly the same squad, we go on the park playing like a Stevie Wonder select, with no apparent system, confidence, or ability to play "football"

He normally gets so far, then keeps chopping and changing players, way of playing etc etc

Is everything in your life this simplistic?

Yeah what an idiot, he started chopping and changing players at Bristol City away when he brought Chaplow off after 10 minutes and he's been at it ever since. He dropped Lallana, then Fonte, then he brought Lallana back in , and at one point he even dropped Lallana, Fonte and Lambert all for the same match!

Now he keeps leaving Jos out but I bet he will change it again and bring him back in soon.

Come on Adkins, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Yeah what an idiot, he started chopping and changing players at Bristol City away when he brought Chaplow off after 10 minutes and he's been at it ever since. He dropped Lallana, then Fonte, then he brought Lallana back in , and at one point he even dropped Lallana, Fonte and Lambert all for the same match!

Now he keeps leaving Jos out but I bet he will change it again and bring him back in soon.

Come on Adkins, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Yes, I see what you mean

4 wins out of the last 15 .... great, it's Saints, so no need to be concerned

It obviously aint broke, so no need to fix it

Silly me

this whole thing is entirely out of proportion.

we lost a cup tie on a freezing cold February night to a team who played well above themselves on the night, were lucky to have a good goal against them "disallowed" (hard luck Ben Reeves)...and won the game with a fluke goal worthy of Goal of the Season - (by all accounts) - and we didn't lose a single League point in the process.

The biggest damage was to our pride. There is absolutely no reason to even consider replacing Nigel Adkins..or is that other guy going to tell us that now F. Capello is out of work now.... maybe (our Italian) Cortese can sweet talk him ......blah, blah, blah.ENOUGH ! Let's move on.

this whole thing is entirely out of proportion.

we lost a cup tie on a freezing cold February night to a team who played well above themselves on the night, were lucky to have a good goal against them "disallowed" (hard luck Ben Reeves)...and won the game with afluke goal worthy of Goal of the Season - (by all accounts) - and we didn't lose a single League point in the process.

The biggest damage was to our pride. There is absolutely no reason to even consider replacing Nigel Adkins..or is that other guy going to tell us that now F. Capello is out of work now.... maybe (our Italian) Cortese can sweet talk him ......blah, blah, blah.ENOUGH ! Let's move on.

Reeves goal looks offside because the pass for it comes from Barnard who's a mile off. The linesman flagged before the ball got to Reeves

Anyway Adkins was laying into the team because HE wanted to win and thought that they'd not done enough.Not acceptable

are his words to describe the defending.

Thought we'd lose when I saw the team but as you say it's the Cup and it means nothing to me for this season.

Edited by Window Cleaner

• 2 years later...
bloody hell, just seen how bad reading are doing and currently getting a lesson at bournemouth,

he will get sacked soon at this rate

It just hasn't worked out for him at all there.

The whole ownership thing hasn't help, added to the fact that he can't buy anyone. Didn't realise they had to sell Le Fondre too.

The whole ownership thing hasn't help, added to the fact that he can't buy anyone. Didn't realise they had to sell Le Fondre too.

Yeah, I'd say it's not actually his fault, he's doing okay with a pretty rubbish squad to be fair. I'm sure most of those players would have been replaced by now if he was able to purchase!

seemed an odd job to take.

then again, he probably backed himself to have kept them up, or at worst, get them back up 1st go

Reading has and always will be a graveyard for managers. Brendan Rodgers failed there and look where he is now.

If dinosaurs like Pardew, Warnock, Redknapp etc. can get Premier League jobs than it wouldn't surprise me to see him end up there. A club like Palace would suit him.

Reading has and always will be a graveyard for managers. Brendan Rodgers failed there and look where he is now.

If dinosaurs like Pardew, Warnock, Redknapp etc. can get Premier League jobs than it wouldn't surprise me to see him end up there. A club like Palace would suit him.

Problem is that Nigel hasn't got the reputation that those 3 you mentioned do in terms of promotions from the Championship and bringing stability to clubs once they're up there. I think he could have earned that reputation with a bit more patience shown by Cortese but that didn't happen. I don't think he'll succeed at Reading in their current situation, and it would be difficult for most managers to do so at the moment as well.

I think he's in the bracket with managers like Mackay, Zola, Hughton that have shown they can do it but haven't fully proven themselves yet for a club at this level to consider hiring them. Clubs don't take risks with appointing managers nowadays, which is why the likes of Warnock, Redknapp, Pardew, Jol etc get jobs at this level because they are considered a safe pair of hands.

Problem is that Nigel hasn't got the reputation that those 3 you mentioned do in terms of promotions from the Championship and bringing stability to clubs once they're up there. I think he could have earned that reputation with a bit more patience shown by Cortese but that didn't happen. I don't think he'll succeed at Reading in their current situation, and it would be difficult for most managers to do so at the moment as well.

I think he's in the bracket with managers like Mackay, Zola, Hughton that have shown they can do it but haven't fully proven themselves yet for a club at this level to consider hiring them. Clubs don't take risks with appointing managers nowadays, which is why the likes of Warnock, Redknapp, Pardew, Jol etc get jobs at this level because they are considered a safe pair of hands.

Warnock was lucky to get the Palace job. He has no record of success in the top flight at all. He has one more second tier promotion than our Nige, though.

But you're right, the only way for Adkins to get a Premier League job is to get promoted into one. Its looking like that isn't going to happen at Reading, but he should get another shot in the second tier if he gets the elbow there.

The club he could end up at, and achieve that promotion? Wigan. Watch this space.

Warnock was lucky to get the Palace job. He has no record of success in the top flight at all. He has one more second tier promotion than our Nige, though.

But you're right, the only way for Adkins to get a Premier League job is to get promoted into one. Its looking like that isn't going to happen at Reading, but he should get another shot in the second tier if he gets the elbow there.

The club he could end up at, and achieve that promotion? Wigan. Watch this space.

I'd love to see what he could do at Fulham with Kit Symons.

bloody hell, just seen how bad reading are doing and currently getting a lesson at bournemouth,

he will get sacked soon at this rate

I went down there this evening to watch them. It was all Reading first half and they smacked the crossbar but a quick burst at the start of the second half and it was all over. Bloody hell though, the football's nothing like Premier League standard.

I went down there this evening to watch them. It was all Reading first half and they smacked the crossbar but a quick burst at the start of the second half and it was all over. Bloody hell though, the football's nothing like Premier League standard.

If it was, they'd be in the premier league. ;)

Adkins was blessed with an incredible squad whilst at SFC.

As has been proven on how well those players have performed from league 1up into the Premier League.

To think a few of those players went onto represent England and now their prospective other countries,Morgan for France,fonte for Portugal.

This just show how he underachieved with what he had at his disposal.

Runners up in Lge 1 and runners up in the Championship was underachieving.

Thank goodness hie reign was brought to an abrupt halt.

He's found his level,or you could say The Championship is above his level with a squad that is not as talented as he so fortunately inherited.

Oh and those awful soundbites,very amateurish.

Some of you were suckers for believing him being very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As has been proven on how well those players have performed from league 1up into the Premier League.

To think a few of those players went onto represent England and now their prospective other countries,Morgan for France,fonte for Portugal.

He's found his level,or you could say The Championship is above his level with a squad that is not as talented as he so fortunately inherited.

Reluctantly, because he came across as a nice bloke, I have to agree. People who think we wouldn't have got promoted without him haven't stopped to think how much talent he inherited or was provided to him by the club. Fans were so grateful for promotion that perhaps people overlooked that we should have had a better shot at the No.1 spots. When Adkins left the building a blue line was drawn under him, along with some of the rather boring and repetitive interviews he tended to give. It was hard to believe that his style was motivating the team to maximum effort. After he left, Reading looked a good job for him at the time, but his latest quotes give the impression that he can see the writing on the wall. It will be a shame if he doesn't survive to the end of the season because he did leave Southampton with his reputation intact.

So you think Adkins is better than Pardew then -given performace with same squad an' all.

If our squad was so good, why were we in the relegation zone when Adkins took over? From there to 2nd place was a remarkable achievement, as was achieving 2nd place again the following season.

Considering he was able to get a club like S****horpe promoted to the Championship, it clearly proves Adkins is a top manager. You really think Cortese would have hired him in the first place if he wasn't?

So often you see managers blessed with so called 'great squads', but they underachieve and don't deliver. He may have had a good squad with us, but he delivered results and got them playing in a cohesive and organised way. When Pardew was sacked and we'd just lost at home to Swindon under the leadership of Wilkins, promotion looked a distant memory.

But he got us going pretty quickly, and after that 1-0 at Sheffield Wednesday we never looked back to be honest.

There are still some people who want to be proven right in their scathing of Adkins, but basing their 'I Told you so' rants on how he's doing at a completely different club is totally irrelevant.

The end of the story is that he got us promoted - twice. He got us playing good football with lots of results. He will be seen as one of our most successful managers in recent years, no matter how well he's done at bloody Reading.

In his defence, Reading have been through a torrid time in the last two years, in terms of ownership and investment. From what was a well run, stable club thanks to Madjeski, it has been passed around a bit with promised funds not being delivered, new owners (or part owners) moving on, and consequently player sales being needed. The Championship is still the most competitive league by a mile, with something like six different teams at the top in the last 8 weeks, so I would not bet on any team not to go up or down at this stage.

In his defence, Reading have been through a torrid time in the last two years, in terms of ownership and investment. From what was a well run, stable club thanks to Madjeski, it has been passed around a bit with promised funds not being delivered, new owners (or part owners) moving on, and consequently player sales being needed. The Championship is still the most competitive league by a mile, with something like six different teams at the top in the last 8 weeks, so I would not bet on any team not to go up or down at this stage.

He is on a hiding to nothing at Reading, no funds, chronic under investment, and having to play youth by the barrel load to compensate for injuries. He must be wishing he never took that job as the money never materialised and he is giving his all just to keep them going with no sign of gratitude as a result.

People slating him are literally banging a drum thinking they can be proved right and point to his struggles at reading as a "i told you so".

The simple truth is, his squad was near the bottom of league 1 when he took over, and that was under pardew, who took Newcastle into europe when he left us... yet people then say that Championship football is above his level. But in truth i would be a hypocrite to use that argument since I'm saying you can't base his ability on how he performs at another club.

Instead, I will say this... He took over a team in the relegation places, and got us back to back promotions to the premier league with a net spend of £3m as manager.

If he is so ****e and his squad were so amazing... why the hell were we in league 1 when we only needed £3m to get to the premier league...

People just can't accept that he moulded that team and developed those players, nor that he was easily on course to keep us up..

They ignore the fact that poch's stats for the end of that season are no better than adkin's equivalent number of games. And that is despite the fact adkins was playing with a less experienced team with less experience of top level football as a manager.

What is even more sickening, is that he got the boot, just so that treacherous argie could improve his CV, and leave us in the lurch after encouraging half the first team to leave... That would never have happened under Nigel Adkins, you can be damn sure.

The people who want to be negative wind ups and hate can do what they want. Nigel Adkins is a Southampton legend, his name will forever be associated with guiding this club back to the big time and the squad that he and pardew built, and the squad that nigel moulded are the foundation for any success that follows.

Assuming that this post is serious I will reply as if it is. I have read a lot of your posts over time and I have observed also Adkins performance and as importantly the way he handled himself over a period of time [starting with his delay in signing to protect the interests of his previous employer] I know where my respect goes...

Your comment that "thank goodness his reign was brought to an abrupt halt" I think reflects poorly on you.

You are entitled to an opinion on his performance etc. but please do not forget the great part he played in our return to the premiership. In my opinion Adkins has not found his level and in a different situation I still think he has a lot to offer.

I don't think any one was a sucker for thinking him to be very good. From my part I did think he was a decent manager, but maybe in this day and age wrongly, I think as importantly he was a decent man.

If there were any "suckers" around, and that is not how I would word it, they were the people that bought into the Cortese regime while he [admittedly bringing some success] was slowly killing the spirit and History of our club.

Thank goodness we now have it back