Adkins

MAY-Z

Adkins and indeed the teams' first real test was always going to be how they coped when the wheels came off the bus, that time is now, we don't want to do a Cardiff. Teams are getting on good runs and we'll be in the play offs before we know it unless this slide is halted

No matter what happens for the remainder of this season, Adkins has won my respect and admiration for the way he transformed our style of play this season. I am not going to say he does not make mistakes, but feel he is an over whelming force for good for Saints.

I don't feel this transfer window looks to have done us any massive favours, but considering other clubs activities, I feel we have tried our best. If Lee requires positional instruction from De Ridder about his forward movement, I feel it's going to be a while, especially without match games to sort that one out. I was surprised Spurs allowed Falque to be shipped out to us for the rest of the season, not so any more. Not sure how Billy will pan out, I wanted someone who could change our style of play either by pace or a frontman who could operate with all the knocks and shoving going. I see Billy as a younger version of Connolly, including injuries but a goal poacher more in line with Lambert. The biggest surprise during this transfer window has been Puncheon, superb given that his fitness must be way off. We need Hammond, Lallana, Guly and Chaplow back in arse kicking mode. Lallana is gradually getting there but I saw enough indifferent games from Chaplow before he found form not to rely upon that one just yet.

I don't blame Cortese or Adkins for the way things have panned out so far, even if things continue, just glad of what they have done. We could easily start turning things round from now on and all will be happy. But if we don't, I won't be surprised and won't be demanding heads.

I don't feel this transfer window looks to have done us any massive favours...

Well, that I find to be a bizarre statement. Lets look at what we did:

Signed Jos Hooiveld on a permanent contract.

Signed Billy Sharp, one of the division's top scorers.

Signed Tadanari Lee, international striker, jury still out on that one.

Signed Yago Falque, Spanish U21 international, jury still out on that one.

Brought Puncheon back into the fold, almost like a new player.

And we haven't lost any of our first team squad.

I'm utterly amazed that what we've done in the past month or so isn't viewed as a positive. I would have liked us to sign a CB, but that would have been the cherry on top of what I think has been a very productive transfer window.

No other reflection other than the marathon analogy.Good marathons are either run at even pace or in negative split, ie the second half is faster than the first. Bad marathons are almost always caused by going out too fast and then imploding so that at the end you can hardly put one foot in front of the other.So in our case the marathon comparison is not at all valid cos well we hit the wall at the end of November,at about 10 miles !!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have you never heard the expression "second wind"? In long distance races, the ideal position to be in coming in to the home straight, is on the shoulder of the leaders and capable of a sprint finish. We aren't on the home straight yet, but it remains to be seen whether we have the sprint finish. I believe we will have.

Have you never heard the expression "second wind"? In long distance races, the ideal position to be in coming in to the home straight, is on the shoulder of the leaders and capable of a sprint finish. We aren't on the home straight yet, but it remains to be seen whether we have the sprint finish. I believe we will have.

Second winds don't usually apply in marathons, it's the analogy that I'm questioning not our case specifically.As Yones Ondieki said, I don't sprint, I'm a distance runner.

Our problems started when our settled side became unsettled due to injuries and Lambert's suspension.

Hopefully we can begin to settle again, but now there is welcome competition, regular players are going to have to accept they may have a fight on their hands to get selected in the first XI- I am thinking here of Do Prado, Connelly, Barnard, Hooisveld, De Ridder and Tadanari.

Talking of Lee I heard he made a few good runs off the ball last night. Well that's great but not if you don't have a midfielder who can find you with an astute pass and, at present, with Cork, SAchneiderlin and Hammond all being so one dimensional we just don't have that sort of player. One reason our forwards sometimes are accused of lacking penetration.

Oh for a Jimmy Case who was also a leader on the pitch, something else presently lacking.

Talk of Adkins's job being on the line are ridiculous. I reckon he has built up enough brownie points with NC for at least another 12 months.

Reeves looked the part, not a JC but played head up and passed forward, what's more didn't give the ball away except for an attempted chip that a defender headed away. In my opinion the Chaplow injury was the catalyst not the reason for the slump. Playing the three central midfielders together changed the dynamics for the worst and should have been ditched after the Hull game. Once we got into the slow sideways game lacking movement we have gone backwards and what was a mistake was compounded and turned into a slump by continuing to play that way. The first half of the season we played high tempo pass and move now we have to get back to that. Start with the high tempo and get back to playing quick pass and move.

It seems amazing to think Nigel would be under pressure and I don't believe that he is. We had a great January window although last night highlighted the ongoing need for a CB on loan as Martin sounded tired. So the players are there, Nigel just has to figure out his best XI. What he has to steer clear of is random selections like Connolly, no excuses for picking him now in the 16 with the wide range of quality options available and the fans will question Nigel big time if he is present again on Saturday. I'd like to see Barney get a loan to L1 for a month to sharpen up (no pun intended for a month) so that he is better able to put pressure on Lambert and Sharp in March onwards whilst Lee beds into English football.

Second winds don't usually apply in marathons, it's the analogy that I'm questioning not our case specifically.As Yones Ondieki said, I don't sprint, I'm a distance runner.

I know that Wikipedia is not the fount of all knowledge, but bearing in mind what you say, they have obviously got this all wrong:-

"Second wind is a phenomenon in distance running, such as marathons or road running (as well as other sports), whereby an athlete who is too out of breath and tired to continue suddenly finds the strength to press on at top performance with less exertion."

Long ago in my youth, I used to do long distance walking, on several occasions over a 50 mile distance and certainly second wind was something that I often experienced.

Reeves looked the part, not a JC but played head up and passed forward, what's more didn't give the ball away except for an attempted chip that a defender headed away. In my opinion the Chaplow injury was the catalyst not the reason for the slump. Playing the three central midfielders together changed the dynamics for the worst and should have been ditched after the Hull game. Once we got into the slow sideways game lacking movement we have gone backwards and what was a mistake was compounded and turned into a slump by continuing to play that way. The first half of the season we played high tempo pass and move now we have to get back to that. Start with the high tempo and get back to playing quick pass and move.

The thing is, that crisp, flowing, fast-passing game we were playing earlier in the season relies on confidence, something we did have in abundance after our promotion, but are lacking at the moment. Way to get back that confidence is a few scrappy wins.

I'm utterly amazed that what we've done in the past month or so isn't viewed as a positive. I would have liked us to sign a CB, but that would have been the cherry on top of what I think has been a very productive transfer window.

The above facts are indeed very positive

What is very Negative however is

Our very very poor form over the last eight League Matches

Adkins very limited ability to change things when things are going pear shaped

Adkins stereotyped after match spiel, like a stuck record

What do you think CB ????

As a ST holder, am I allowed to criticise what I consider to be a very average CCC League side ( NOT Cup )

Or am I only allowed to post if I say how wonderful Saints are ??

All some people are highlighting is the minor point that the season hasn't quite finished yet....

Yes, the "told you so" brigade may well get their moment of triumph at the end of the season but all I and the other optimists (aka happy clappers ... *chortle*) are saying is that it might be an idea to judge Adkins and Cortese at the end of the season rather than write-off their aspirations in early February.

We're 2nd in the league with the most goals scored and joint highest goal difference. We're on a bad run of form which we will either (a) turn around and go on to attain promotion or (b) continue with and join the scramble for a play-off place. It could go either way.

Me? Old fashioned? Guilty as charged m'lud.

(That was a statement by the "It's only football let's put life into perspective" Party)

Calm down dear.

Everything I have written is about the expectation for the season, with my point being the manager and the chairman have set those objectives.

I am only adressing the revisionists desperate to weave this story of plucky-tiny-southampton-who'd-have-thought-it punching above our weight as if us being second is some impossible fairytale.

It isn't, it is what was planned for. We are planning to go up automatically at least, ideally as champions.

If you can find anything from me on this thread "judging" how the manager is doing, then well done, because I've done nothing of the sort. And if you want to wait until May before anyone passes comment, maybe a football forum isn't for you?

Just sick of the get some perspective brigade, when the correct perspective is we are trying to finish in the top two. That's it.

The above facts are indeed very positive

What is very Negative however is

Our very very poor form over the last eight League Matches

Adkins very limited ability to change things when things are going pear shaped

Adkins stereotyped after match spiel, like a stuck record

What do you think CB ????

As a ST holder, am I allowed to criticise what I consider to be a very average CCC League side ( NOT Cup )

Or am I only allowed to post if I say how wonderful Saints are ??

What are you on about with your second paragraph? Of course you're allowed to criticise; its a bloody message board for debates, that's entirely the purpose of being on here. Some people state their opinions, some agree, some disagree.

Which is why I said I was amazed on the single point up and away made that "the transfer window hadn't done us any massive favours". I disagreed with that part of his statement, and said so. I'm not sure why you're getting quite so uppity about it. And quite where you got the idea that I've somehow told you (who I wasn't even referring to in my original point) that you're not allowed to comment unless its positive is utterly bizarre.

Us fans might not have but our chairman did. And now we are where we are should be just be grateful that we've done better sofar than we hoped or subscribe to the mantra "in Adkins/Cortese we trust" afterall they said we are going for promotion. Anything less will be faliure, yes?

Sorry but I don't subscribe to blindly trusting somebody,and cortese/Adkins can spout what they like about going for promotion but so is every other manager/chairman/owner in every league.

Football is too unpredictable to draw up a plan and stick to it,but we are doing well and we are in the driving seat to get promoted,I just hope the players realise that they can do it starting Saturday.

Now the bar has been set and anything less than automatic promotion will be a massive dissapointment and a deep deep scar to heal over the summer

I am only adressing the revisionists desperate to weave this story of plucky-tiny-southampton-who'd-have-thought-it punching above our weight as if us being second is some impossible fairytale.

It isn't, it is what was planned for. We are planning to go up automatically at least, ideally as champions.

Whilst I accept that has some merit, I don't think there's a fan on this board who genuinely thought we'd be 2nd in February. I certainly didn't and hoped for mid-table obscurity / a shot at the playoffs - aka. consolidation. Having said that, a couple of months at the top have changed those expectations and now it is about not dropping the ball. But that is easier said than done.

That interview! Talk about a Damascus moment! Why has it taken him so long to realise that we are not the best thing since sliced braed?

Trouble is for too long he has believed his own hype that everything in the garden is rosy pink and emerald green and it effing well ain't! Now he's waking up to the reality that we have talked about on here for the last two months, that we more resmble and play like a relegation team than the high-flying champions he thinks we are.

Hence, Adkins sounded really down and so he effing should be! His own balloon has exploded in his face big time and now he's under test as never before. Does he have what it takes to recover as fergie and wenger do or will he just become another also-ran ending up in the lower leagues? Now that he's started blaming players which he's never done before, how long will it be before he loses the dressing room?

Fair do's the players must perform and deliver but the manager is responsible for the overall delivery and tactics and finding the right players and he knows he can't hide from that. saying it is one thing doing something about it is another. Right now the similarities with Poortvliet's aimless passing pansies is worrying and look what happened to them.

My guess is that Mr Cortese has just put a pile of red hot coals under his chair and his feet are beginning to feel the heat - hence his unusual reaction.

Looking at 4 wins from 15 any fan must be wondering if it is time for a new defensive coach, a new attacking coach and come to think of it a new effing manager? After all we do seem to have a quite exceptional squad of highly talented players who could and should be world-beaters so why can't the firts team coaches get it to work?

The Exit Sign and Waiting Taxi must be getting perilously close one would imagine judging by his after match defensiveness.

It would not surprise me at all that if we FAIL TO WIN ON SATURDAY, Adders could be gone on Monday of next week...

Whoops! More incoming missiles!

tell you waht 'though...

I was there last night, frozen to the Rollocks so don't doubt my loyalty to the cause - I wanna go up!

I was there last night, frozen to the Rollocks so don't doubt my loyalty to the cause

Jeez...didn't even know Arsenal were palying last night, how the mighty have fallen.

Alpine- fans texting in last night on Solent were saying we should get Warnock in!

Mischievious little skates (or Gooner) in sh*tstirring shocker!

The thing is, that crisp, flowing, fast-passing game we were playing earlier in the season relies on confidence, something we did have in abundance after our promotion, but are lacking at the moment. Way to get back that confidence is a few scrappy wins.

The first thing we have to do is get back to high tempo, pressing hard high up the pitch and let the passing game come back and the confidence with it. Scrappy wins are still scrappy wins.

Its laughable to say we should lose Adkins now. Utter stupidity. The key to football is consistent management. We are in 2nd Place and can concentrate on the league with effectively x5 new players in the line-up. NA has been brilliant.

I do a criticism however. He positivity is starting to grate on me a little. Nothing wrong with a positive approach, but it's starting to sound a little false. I'd love to see him start to give out some serious blocking and - just sometimes - acknowledge that some players have not performed.

As a goalkeeper he also needs to acknowledge Bart is not good enough, send him out on loan and take another keeper on loan until the end of the season.

Apart from that, leave off him. This is a stunning season. Lets get our singing voices back and start acting like the 12th man instead of acting like spoilt Man City fans.

Its laughable to say we should lose Adkins now. Utter stupidity. The key to football is consistent management. We are in 2nd Place and can concentrate on the league with effectively x5 new players in the line-up. NA has been brilliant.

I do have a criticism however. He positivity is starting to grate on me a little. Nothing wrong with a positive approach, but it's starting to sound a little false. I'd love to see him start to give out some serious bollockings and - just sometimes - acknowledge that some players have not performed.

As a goalkeeper he also needs to acknowledge Bart is not good enough, send him out on loan and take another keeper on loan until the end of the season.

Apart from that, leave off him. This is a stunning season. Let's get our singing voices back and start acting like the 12th man instead of acting like spoilt Man City fans.

(Just correcting my laughable typos!)

I do have a criticism however. He positivity is starting to grate on me a little. Nothing wrong with a positive approach, but it's starting to sound a little false. I'd love to see him start to give out some serious bollockings and - just sometimes - acknowledge that some players have not performed.

Apart from that, leave off him. This is a stunning season. Let's get our singing voices back and start acting like the 12th man instead of acting like spoilt Man City fans.

(Just correcting my laughable typos!)

I agree with this. Sometimes and with some players they need a good kick up the arse and to be told they haven't been good enough. Positivity also has to be tempered with realism and discpline. and ocasionally giving a player a good bollo*king if they're not performing.

I agree with this. Sometimes and with some players they need a good kick up the arse and to be told they haven't been good enough. Positivity also has to be tempered with realism and discpline. and ocasionally giving a player a good bollo*king if they're not performing.

In public or behind the scenes?

Of course he should not go....................................he makes mistakes, but we all do. I am getting worried, but a win on Saturday can improve things markedly.

And a very simple question, if you were to replace him, who could you get???????????????? Warnock would be a huge step back. Adkins is young, positive (anyone remember Burley going on about getting in the play-offs when with a push we may have gone up automatically??), committed & i think he reaaly cares..................................Leave him alone!!

Fair do's the players must perform and deliver but the manager is responsible for the overall delivery and tactics and finding the right players and he knows he can't hide from that. saying it is one thing doing something about it is another. Right now the similarities with Poortvliet's aimless passing pansies is worrying and look what happened to them.

& the most ridiculous post on this thread goes to ......

Gaffer bemoans Cup exit "We just weren't good enough!" Doesn't he mean his selection and tweaking about weren't good enough?

Yep and he said as much on hoa Radio Solent interview, he said we defended badly and he praises when due but will say when bad but win/lose or draw as a team and he takes responsibility as he picked it.

All this talk of getting rid of Adkins is getting silly,we are not performing well at the moment but does it seem bad because we over achieved for the first half of the season?

We are still 2nd FFS and it looks as if west ham and Cardiff are constantly taking 1 step forward and 2 back much the same as us,do any talk of getting rid of Adkins is lunacy at this crossroads.

Win the next 2 games and we will be back in control,spirits will be high and so will the confidence of the players......if cortese is turning up the pressure on Adkins then good,he has to take it on the chin and get over the problems dogging us right now.

We are not in form at the moment but west ham,Cardiff,Birmingham and all the others hoping to get promoted will have the same blip as we are having.

I am confident we will still go up coyr

Yep and he said as much on hoa Radio Solent interview, he said we defended badly and he praises when due but will say when bad but win/lose or draw as a team and he takes responsibility as he picked it.

He's dug his own grave but allowing the squad to grow too big. With no Reserves it'll only build discontent amongst some of the players. There is also the fear amongst some that reaching the Premiership will spell the end of their careers or places in the team. This happened before and was admitted by some players after that promotion to the top flight didn't bring them the excitement and challenge that it did to others. Players need to be sent out on loan and we desperately need a solid and capable additional central defender.

I think that Adkins will sort it out. Now we have options in wide midfield and can ditch the playing of the three static midfielders together. For the first half of the season any two out of the three did a good job so stick with it and if we need an attacking option then Puncheon could step in. Wide we have Lallana, Chaplow, Guly, DeRidder and Puncheon so we now just need Hoiveldt back and fit and we can go for it. Reeves looks like he is looking to break into the team and was a revelation last night for the short time he was on.

Our best 11 is certainly good enough to finish in the top 2, certainly with the arrival of BS. However, when was the last time our best 11 were available. We've gone into games with Lambert, Lallana, Fonte,and Chaplow (who was doing great this season) all missing, add to that the Blackpool game where Kelv was out. When was the last time we played our best centre half pairing together. People need to get a grip. If we can keep most of our best players fit, we'll be there or thereabouts, if we can't, we may end up in the play offs. Either way, Adkins has done a decent job this season.

I think that Adkins will sort it out. Now we have options in wide midfield and can ditch the playing of the three static midfielders together. For the first half of the season any two out of the three did a good job so stick with it and if we need an attacking option then Puncheon could step in. Wide we have Lallana, Chaplow, Guly, DeRidder and Puncheon so we now just need Hoiveldt back and fit and we can go for it. Reeves looks like he is looking to break into the team and was a revelation last night for the short time he was on.

This.

Reeves looks like a revelation to be honest, and has totally surprised me as I always thought he was a left back - but the coaching team obviously saw more in him than that. Looks a real gem of a player.

This.

Reeves looks like a revelation to be honest, and has totally surprised me as I always thought he was a left back - but the coaching team obviously saw more in him than that. Looks a real gem of a player.

There is no way we could justify Falque in the match day squad over Reeves. There is terrific competition for a place on the bench now anyway.

There is no way we could justify Falque in the match day squad over Reeves. There is terrific competition for a place on the bench now anyway.

I think Falque was recruited when we were trying to get rid of Puncheon, now that entire situation has changed I don't see any place for him now. His debut was hard because the team shape was so crap against Leicester, so that didn't do him any favours and he did look like a little boy lost out there.

I must say, Adkins loans have been a bit iffy! Bignall, N'Guesson, Falque etc...! (although chappers worked out ok)

Why bizarre unless you had your eyes and ears closed over the last 6 weeks. The whole point of this window was to get the attack and midfield performing to automatic standard. Puncheon was never signed in this window, he could have been used at any time once they kissed and made up. Martin has been performing so well that Jos's loss is a mere inconvenience, soon to be fixed. What needed to be fixed in this window were our attacking options.

It's early days yet and everything rests with Billy and those players returning from injury. You can see from the sort of money we were offering around how difficult things have been and I feel what we ended up with in terms of our attacking options look second best and chancy to say the least.Thank goodness we got Puncheon to see sense. I am not blaming Cortese or Adkins for this, it just shows what a difficult job they had in attracting the players at this time of year. I find it difficult to see how we can give Lee sufficient games to come to terms with Championship football and be effective in this league. Even greater vision is required just to see Falque getting on the pitch but luckily no such issues with Puncheon. Lee has all the attributes to come good, I just feel we don't have the playing time to afford him. Until injuries and suspensions start to come into effect, our attacking options on the bench will be De Ridder, Connoly and Guly, with Lallana or Chaplow having to now and again find a seat? One of our three central midfielders and Harding on the bench leaves Martin with no seat along with all the youth players. That's completely forgetting about Barnard.

Then we come to Billy, a good player who scores goals. But if you look at how he does things, I don't feel he offers us that different dimension. That required pace or someone who could be effective on the front line to change the way we play and the end result. Billy is going to be an asset, but not too a change of style that has been required. Lee has the pace, but can you weaken the side to allow him his chance? I would be happy to be proved wrong on this not being a good transfer window for Saints because it can only mean one thing, but that does not detract from what I feel we have needed to do to come out of this slump. Now it's going to come down to getting all those missing players back in form and see if they and Billy can turn things round.

I don't view this as a total failure by Cortese and Adkins, just doing the best in a very difficult current market. I applaud what they have tried even if it does not all come off and grateful for their efforts.

Adkins is 100% the man to take us back to the PL. The brand of football we play and his modern approach to the game and Saints infrastructure combined will lead us onto much bigger things in the future be it from promotion this season or the next. Keep the faith!

Where does Reeves play? Point of a diamond? Or more of a traditional MC?

Looks to be the sort of guy that plays at the point of a diamond. Looks capable enough of playing anywhere along the front attacking line to be honest.

Looking at the highlights he was the only guy that spotted Lees movement down the channels, and actually picked him up!

Looks to be the sort of guy that plays at the point of a diamond. Looks capable enough of playing anywhere along the front attacking line to be honest.

Looking at the highlights he was the only guy that spotted Lees movement down the channels, and actually picked him up!

I'll have a watch in a sec. 1st time I saw him was on Soccer AM a few years ago taking on Callum McNish on that skill-school feature.

Fair play to the lad - Nigel sounded pretty down post-match, but think he took Reeves' performance as one of the few bonuses.